11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
lukeo
August 5, 2023, 11:07pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
Really hard to make too much comment sitting in the osmond corner except for 15 minutes of the second of we could and would have scored 2 or 3 goals on another day. Their keeper pulled off 2-3 amazing saves (unless it hit the post I'm not sure?)

The game wasn't awful but it wasn't fantastic. They defended very well and cleverly. We played well in patches. I'll save writing essays for when I watch the games on iplayer as it'll be clearer to see.
Motm for me I'd say any of the back 4 or Conteh.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 104
Davec
August 6, 2023, 7:56am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 42
Well it seemed to me a typical Grimsby performance much like last season, quite solid defensively and shouldn't concede too many but again lacking something up front which may indicate we won't be scoring too many.

Eastwood looked full of confidence and composed and did well for the penalty double save, Mullarkey didn't do too much first half I don't think but was one of our better players in 2nd half, Rodgers and Maher formed a good partnership and Glennon was Glennon really

Conteh looks very classy and his passing and vision at times was quality, more to come from him hopefully which is exciting! As for Hunt and Clifton, I thought they were both poor and I couldn't understand Hunt getting MOTM as he gave the ball away a lot, as he did last season and he does need to work on being more tidy in possession if he's going to progress, he has a lot of natural ability but he is not very tidy in possession sadly and not all of the misplaced passes were because he was trying balls through the eye of the needle, some of them were basis passes he should be making, and Clifton today seemed very hesitant in and out of possession, and seemed unaware of his surroundings, obviously we know he can do better and I'm sure he'll know that also.

Eisa was in and out of the game but when he was in the game he looked a real threat, much the same as Vernam and I would like to see us play with a partner up top with Rose to make the most of his ariel threat, maybe Wilson or Pyke when fit?

I don't feel we are going to score loads and loads of goals so we will need a solid and compact defence this season, which it looks like we might have, based on one game only obviously
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 104
headingly_mariner
August 6, 2023, 9:08am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 120
A lot of criticism of Hunt. I thought he was decent and looked a nice pairing with Conteh. He looks to pass the ball forward and it doesn't always come off. We need someone to be liking to make those passes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 104
Youngy
August 6, 2023, 9:09am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,677
Gold Stars: 9
Can't say much more then many of the posters have already mentioned. There is a clear directive that we want to get the ball down and play and it the differences in the styles of the two teams were obvious from the start.

For the most part we contained them (albeit a ten minute spell in the first half and the few minutes in and around the penalty). When Al Hamadi came on, his pace gave them an instant boost and instantly exploited our high line but thankfully a mix of Eastwood's instincts and frankly, a very poor penalty, we survived. When you see the results from yesterday, having a tight defence will put us in very good stead for the season. Like most people have said, Rodgers and Malarkey are clear upgrades.

But as many as mentioned, we didn't create enough clear cut chances. Our final ball really lacked throughout the game (mixed with some bad decision making, Rose for example shooting from range when Clifton was begging for the ball on the right).

Considering he's barely played in the last few years, Eisa imo was our best attacking option. Very comfortable on the ball and not scared to take on or turn a defender. The fitter he gets, the most of a threat he'll be.

Again, the lack of physical presence up top was obvious. Rose needs a little assistance up there. The referee had clearly done his homework on Rose and was giving him nothing (though the penalty shout in the first half looked stone wall from my view?).

Just a few tweaks here and there and I honestly think we have team that will contend. Easy to forget we had 7 on debut.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 104
marinerjase
August 6, 2023, 9:13am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,677
Gold Stars: 147
Draw about right for me, we may have just edged it but didn’t create enough. Very bright start..we were on top early on, but didn’t test their keeper. Wimbledon well organised, despite no regular left back, and compact behind the ball. They gradually got into it..and started to exploit an off the pace Glennon, particularly in the first half..and crosses from that side found Davison with regularity, but again didn’t really hurt us..as we didn’t them. The one time Town found their passing game a lovely bit of football, unfortunately Rose couldn’t reach the cross. Rogers and Conteh particularly stood out for us.

Second half again we were on top, Rogers effort and Eisa’s shot, who did everything right, met with two decent saves from Bass. The introduction of Al Hamadi for them gave them a different option, in the break and direct pace..which resulted in a pen..slightly fortunate in that the initial ricochet in their box very lucky..but Al Hamada’s pace got him away and Clifton got caught out. Luckily for us a terrible penalty..and Eastwood did well with the rebound. Late pressure from us but as said draw probably fair..they were organised, ruffled a few feathers and will beat a few sides, mid table at a guess, us..susceptible at crosses early on, that’ll get sorted..Eastwood did ok but distribution not the best, Glennon off the pace for me, Rogers and Maher very good, Mullarkey nervy initially but showed his quality as game went on..Clifton not the best, Vernam a few moments but no end product and disappears, Rose needs someone nearer..doesn’t seem suited to the ‘Taylor’ role..Eisa I thought did well until tired late on..Hunt has to do more, obvious ability but careless sometimes..really want him to show his capability and willing him to do it..but needs to be soon. Conteh..just looked so comfortable in that role from the off..looks a great acquisition and you’d presume he’s only going to get better..just cleans everything up..anticipates..what a ridiculous booking by the way..a ref who let their players get away with sly off the ball stuff throughout.  Green and Pyke good little late cameos at the end..the new lad hard ask to come on late on and didn’t look fit.

All in all some very promising signs, along with some things to look at. We won’t challenge I don’t think, we won’t struggle..a slight improvement on last seasons position more than possible. We’ll know a bit more soon in a very difficult opening two months.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 104
lukeo
August 6, 2023, 9:36am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
I will say well done to PH. As soon as Pell came on he brought Green on to match the physical side of his game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 104
quebec38
August 6, 2023, 10:15am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
Defence looks to have been upgraded for sure. I wasn’t an Efete basher but Mullarkey is just better. Waterfall has been brilliant for two seasons so it’s bold taking him from the starting 11, but Rogers looks like he does all of the dirty work and uses the ball well too. Together with Maher they both look like classy defenders.

Going forward I thought it looked like pretty much more of the same from last season. I am convinced though that we have some better players in these areas so hopefully it’s just a bit of time to gel and a tweak or two that’s needed. I can’t remember us having a player in a long time that can turn his man either way like Eisa did yesterday.

Shame we couldn’t get the win but 0-0 not a bad result after the penalty incident and Pell coming on for the last 10 (20). Felt like it had 0-1 late Pell winner written all over it so I agree with the above about Green. Perfect sub to counter that new physical threat for the last few minutes.

Is Holohan unfit or just out of favour? I would like to see him back in the squad at least next game. Our central players all have quality but I think he’s the best player we have at driving us forward through the middle.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 104
MuddyWaters
August 6, 2023, 10:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from quebec38
Defence looks to have been upgraded for sure. I wasn’t an Efete basher but Mullarkey is just better. Waterfall has been brilliant for two seasons so it’s bold taking him from the starting 11, but Rogers looks like he does all of the dirty work and uses the ball well too. Together with Maher they both look like classy defenders.

Going forward I thought it looked like pretty much more of the same from last season. I am convinced though that we have some better players in these areas so hopefully it’s just a bit of time to gel and a tweak or two that’s needed. I can’t remember us having a player in a long time that can turn his man either way like Eisa did yesterday.

Shame we couldn’t get the win but 0-0 not a bad result after the penalty incident and Pell coming on for the last 10 (20). Felt like it had 0-1 late Pell winner written all over it so I agree with the above about Green. Perfect sub to counter that new physical threat for the last few minutes.

Is Holohan unfit or just out of favour? I would like to see him back in the squad at least next game. Our central players all have quality but I think he’s the best player we have at driving us forward through the middle.

Seems that Khouri is seen as a better long term option than Holohan. It wouldn’t surprise me if Gav leaves in the window.
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 104
ginnywings
August 6, 2023, 10:21am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from quebec38

Conteh is better.

Gav is a squad player now in my opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 104
VinnyGTFC
August 6, 2023, 10:21am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +146
Gold Stars: 21
All said and done 7 new players in starting line up and a lot of bedding in needed. As the last couple of seasons the work ethic will be valuable, I agree we won't score for fun. however once this group fully gel they will be exciting to watch. This is still an ongoing project and it's good to be on the ride. As some results showed yesterday there will be no mugs in this league and we will need to fight for every point.
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 104
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.