11 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Hagrid
August 5, 2023, 5:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,423
Gold Stars: 534
Game we could have won and might have lost, so we’ll take the point.
Thought we started both halves well particularly the 2nd but tired towards the end understandably.
Back 4 impressed me generally especially Mullarkey and Rodgers, good save from Eastwood from a poor pen, excelllent follow up save.

Need another option up top clearly as it felt very similar to games last season but sure it’ll come in time.

Crowd Flat apart from the pen save and Pell appearing.

Much to build on i think.
Logged Offline
Private Message
grimps
August 5, 2023, 5:29pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,129
Gold Stars: 46
It was a Typical Town home game .
God I hope we’re gonna see a few more goals at home this season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 104
Plankton
August 5, 2023, 5:29pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,215
Gold Stars: 38
Both teams played well, did the basics, passed it out wide and had opportunities to score. I think we're still missing a striker, which is still elusive to GTFC.

Agreed that there's a good start in there and that it wasn't great but not terrible either, which I think we can be fairly content with. On another day we lose that game 1-0 due to the penalty, but excellent goalkeeping kept us in it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 104
hampshiremariner
August 5, 2023, 5:30pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,051
Gold Stars: 35
Thanks for that Hagrid. Pleased to see your positivity.
Just looked at the results as a whole for L2. I read a report talking up Wrexham, Notts County, Stockport and Bradford as promotion certainies, whereas Sutton and Crawley were as good as relegated. The first four all got beaten and Notts were thrashed.
I think it’s going to be like last years with up and downs and notthing certain until the final day.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 104
grimps
August 5, 2023, 5:33pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,129
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Plankton
Both teams played well, did the basics, passed it out wide and had opportunities to score. I think we're still missing a striker, which is still elusive to GTFC.

Agreed that there's a good start in there and that it wasn't great but not terrible either, which I think we can be fairly content with. On another day we lose that game 1-0 due to the penalty, but excellent goalkeeping kept us in it.

I’d resigned myself to then scoring that penalty and I was kind of hoping for Hurst to make a few subs and really have a go.
Once it was saved we just seemed to carry on as before
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 104
Teestogreen
August 5, 2023, 5:34pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -156
Gold Stars: 23
It looked like Town had just signed another option up front - Arthur - with 12 goals in the last 4 years - sub - and then put on the pitch today - bizarre.
Presumably most of the players on the subs bench were really injured.
Plus side - didn’t concede - even a penalty.
UTM

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 104
AdamHaddock
August 5, 2023, 5:34pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,839
Gold Stars: 26
A decent effort from the lads today with good build up play but lacked a cutting edge and bodies in the box. A few long range shots in the second half, one of which drew a full stretch save from their keeper.
Good penalty save and follow up from Eastwood who otherwise was well protected by the back four.
Avoiding clichés about gel, there are encouraging signs but final balls and set piece delivery need to be better.

MOM either Rodgers or Hunt. But Conteh was pretty good

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 104
Spurn boy
August 5, 2023, 5:35pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,240
Gold Stars: 29
A point from a good team performance , tired towards the end against a big strong team but some good passing and movement but just missing that clinical finishing touch. Malarkey and Rodger’s both look good signings as does Eastwood who apart from the penalty save didn’t have much to do. A win would have been great but I’m happy with a point from our first game.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 104
Mariner_501
August 5, 2023, 5:38pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +227
Gold Stars: 27
Mullarkey and Rodgers look good signings. Played quite well but we don’t have anybody in the squad that has ever been a prolific goal scorer. Okay saying “share the goals out” when we don’t have any players who can score.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 104
pontoonlew
August 5, 2023, 5:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,041
Gold Stars: 177
To a man all of the new signings look like they’ve improved us. Rodgers and Conteh were superb,Vernam & Eisa look more dangerous as well.

I guess the disappointment was that the performance today mirrored multiple others from last season, no real cutting edge whilst looking like the better side. Hunt, Glennon & Clifton looked off it for me, all 3 failed on multiple occasions to play a cutting ball when we so desperately needed it.

Perhaps Wimbledon are a top side & this will be a great point. You never ever know what an opening day result looks like until way further on into the season. One things for sure though, we’re going to need far more cutting edge if we’re to achieve what we think this squad is capable of this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 104
11 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.