11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
wuffing
August 5, 2023, 5:47pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +838
Gold Stars: 38
Mullarkey mom today. Very busy and lots of skill on the right. Very unlucky with his piledriver as the keeper.pulled off a great save

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 104
buckstown
August 5, 2023, 5:47pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,179
Gold Stars: 79
On the positives I thought we looked better than last season. The back four particularly looked very comfortable with each other and we have very good players in Mullarkey and Rogers. Always liked Maher but he's come on from last season
Conteh looks a natural talent and Hunt was good as well. Thought Vernam showed glimpses without causing them any real damage and that's were the problem might lie, creativity at the sharp end
I was excited by the Rose signing but he spent too much time on the floor appealing. However, to be fair to Rose we never really got behind Wimbledon and got good balls into him
Not sure how good Wimbledon are but they certainly defended competently
Interesting results all round today, think all the pre season favourites lost. The exception were Crawley who everyone had written off!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 104
sonofmadeleymariner
August 5, 2023, 5:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 37
Lots of good build up play that lead to nothing because of a lack of creativity/killer instinct up front. Typical Hurst team performance against a team that parks the bus because of the usual lack of a plan B.

Wimbledon were poor, they were completely reliant on that hoof ball to hit the counter and very little else. Which is worrying, but I'm going to put it down to 1st game jitters.

Thought Harry had an unusualy poor game today nothing he did seemed to work.

Conteh or Hunt for my MoM.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 104
TAGG
August 5, 2023, 5:52pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,959
Gold Stars: 126
Thought it was same old with different players.
Back 4 look like a good unit.
Clifton, Eisa and Vernam were okay
I'm gutted about Hunt, I really want to see him do well but he wasn't at the races today. How he was the sponsors mom is beyond me. I hope he get a run in the side to get his confidence going because there is a player there somewhere.
Still it's a better start than last season so onwards and upwards UTM

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 104
Wiley2405
August 5, 2023, 5:53pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +663
Gold Stars: 20
Surprised Hunt got MOM thought he misplaced many passes. It’s okay when it’s an attacking pass to try break through the defence and it doesn’t work but thought he misplaced some simple easy passes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 104
MuddyWaters
August 5, 2023, 5:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from TAGG
Thought it was same old with different players.
Back 4 look like a good unit.
Clifton, Eisa and Vernam were okay
I'm gutted about Hunt, I really want to see him do well but he wasn't at the races today. How he was the sponsors mom is beyond me. I hope he get a run in the side to get his confidence going because there is a player there somewhere.
Still it's a better start than last season so onwards and upwards UTM

Hunt was only guilty of trying too much at times today. Most of our best play came when he got on the ball. Probably not MoM but ‘not at the races’ is way from what happened.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 104
Teestogreen
August 5, 2023, 6:01pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -156
Gold Stars: 23
It’s a shame for the great work that the defence and midfield are doing - no end product since Grimsby Borough and Cleethorpes Town ( probably the games when new strikers get injured)

I hope someone can spark a goal or 3

UTM

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 104
Oly1987
August 5, 2023, 6:02pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,227
Gold Stars: 22
I thought by and large they were pretty poor and we laboured in the final third. We looked most dangerous running at their defence. The ref let them get away with an awful lot of manhandling. Good point considering the penalty and felt more like a game where we would take 3 than 0. At least we didn't concede 5! UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 104
TAGG
August 5, 2023, 6:03pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,959
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Hunt was only guilty of trying too much at times today. Most of our best play came when he got on the ball. Probably not MoM but ‘not at the races’ is way from what happened.

Opinions
I think if you look at his pass completion I think it would be 10% at best.
I think he's a confidence player that why I want him to have a good run in the side rather than bit and bobing like last season.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 104
lew chaterleys lover
August 5, 2023, 6:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
I was both encouraged and discouraged watching that first game.

Encouraged because the quality of player is markedly better, but discouraged because we will not score enough goals with that system. We have to play two up front I think and presumably Pyke is going to play that role when fully fit.

We wont concede many though, the defence looks very classy.  
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 104
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.