TAGG
April 23, 2023, 6:02pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Davec
I don't quite understand people's comments not just on here and Facebook/twitter, I keep seeing this line that we have a rock solid defence so we don't need to strengthen in that next season, only 7 teams have conceded more than us this season in league games, is that a rock solid defence? And then people seem to contradict themselves about the striking options, they say we need a total overhaul up top and them they talk about retaining 75% of the striking options so how's that an overhaul?

May be an unpopular opinion but I think we need a total revamp in every area, we have to be ruthless, as much as I appreciate the FA cup run.

We defiantly need a new keeper.
Two younger, quicker CBs if we don't have Smith.
A left back and right back
Ball playing midfielder if Hunts not in Hursts plans and a fukin big bloke up front.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 69
HerveJosse
April 23, 2023, 6:03pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,205
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from Jackie Lewis
Wonder if the coaching set up needs looking at over the summer. Hurst, Doig, Davies and Coke all have a defensive mind set so when PH complains we’re not taking out chances I wonder what’s happening on the training ground to rectify it apart from shooting practice.
I see Kevin Philips has been let go by South Shields so could we have a finisher like him to work with the strikers

Good observation. I wonder who does coach the forwards on forward play. Clearly they get a lot of instruction on tracking back .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 69
April 23, 2023, 9:47pm
Guest User
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I think there will be a lot of posters across social media who are going to be disappointed this close season and start getting really vocal if we don't sign the players that will no doubt be touted as the prospect that will fix all of our issues across whatever area of the pitch.

I think we just need to trust "the organisation" as Jason Stockwood calls it, PH I guess will have the best budget he's ever had at GTFC but wage demands, and any paid fees will no doubt increase. We have an experienced Head of Recruitment who you'd assume has been working full time on a recruitment campaign and I'd be amazed if PH hadn't told him about who he wanted as his core targets as well as a clear expectation on identifying new talent.  

The lads that will remain look like a good group and we know PH will continue to create a decent culture, the support staff is a bit like what you'd see at a decent set up  Cheapside isn't the best but looks fit for purpose for now and we've heard a bit about how we'd like to support players with a life outside the game etc..

I still don't think we'll see a couple of players coming in on what would have been for us considered big money before now, but I do think that we will see a number of players coming in on better money than what we've paid and I would imagine a re-structured bonus scheme for all of the squad. There will be a few unknown's and though it's not popular with some he'll lean on the loan market too.

Personally I'm going to keep an open mind and see what happens as I am 100% sure PH won't sign anyone on the basis of how good the Twitter community say they are or the opinion of any other social media platform.

I'm sorry, have I missed something here?  Has a retained list already been put out?
Reply: 62 - 69
MuddyWaters
April 23, 2023, 9:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,285
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I think there will be a lot of posters across social media who are going to be disappointed this close season and start getting really vocal if we don't sign the players that will no doubt be touted as the prospect that will fix all of our issues across whatever area of the pitch.

I think we just need to trust "the organisation" as Jason Stockwood calls it, PH I guess will have the best budget he's ever had at GTFC but wage demands, and any paid fees will no doubt increase. We have an experienced Head of Recruitment who you'd assume has been working full time on a recruitment campaign and I'd be amazed if PH hadn't told him about who he wanted as his core targets as well as a clear expectation on identifying new talent.  

The lads that will remain look like a good group and we know PH will continue to create a decent culture, the support staff is a bit like what you'd see at a decent set up  Cheapside isn't the best but looks fit for purpose for now and we've heard a bit about how we'd like to support players with a life outside the game etc..

I still don't think we'll see a couple of players coming in on what would have been for us considered big money before now, but I do think that we will see a number of players coming in on better money than what we've paid and I would imagine a re-structured bonus scheme for all of the squad. There will be a few unknown's and though it's not popular with some he'll lean on the loan market too.

Personally I'm going to keep an open mind and see what happens as I am 100% sure PH won't sign anyone on the basis of how good the Twitter community say they are or the opinion of any other social media platform.

I think the tone of the post match interview and the ongoing lack of quality in the final third will mean that there will be less continuity than we imagined.
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 69
wekeepdreaming
April 23, 2023, 10:17pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: -150
Gold Stars: 4
Glennon has no pace , great left foot but to slow . He get outpaced against a fast winger or wingback and teams coming to BP exploit that . He’s not good enough for league 2
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 69
HertsGTFC
April 23, 2023, 11:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,991
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from 123614

I'm sorry, have I missed something here?  Has a retained list already been put out?

No, but overall they’re a good group so some departures won’t change that.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 69
HertsGTFC
April 23, 2023, 11:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,991
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I think the tone of the post match interview and the ongoing lack of quality in the final third will mean that there will be less continuity than we imagined.

Yeah agree, I posted similar on another message, I think a few have fallen short.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 69
lukeo
April 24, 2023, 6:18am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,399
Gold Stars: 149
Quoted from TAGG

We defiantly need a new keeper.
Two younger, quicker CBs if we don't have Smith.
A left back and right back
Ball playing midfielder if Hunts not in Hursts plans and a fukin big bloke up front.

It's all about opinions but I disagree with a couple. I think we're covered at full back, remember these guys have had to play as wing backs most the season which I doubt they've played much since now. Glennon/Amos I personally think could be good enough for a top half league 2 side, same as Efete (maybe we need someone to challenge efete if emmanuel isn't signed).
Also with the striker situation, I'm not into this 'we need a big bloke' if you play football properly you can pass to feet , slip it through the defence or hit the channels without having to hoof it to some massive bloke who can't run but may hold it up from time to time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 69
rancido
April 24, 2023, 7:00am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,653
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from Jackie Lewis
Wonder if the coaching set up needs looking at over the summer. Hurst, Doig, Davies and Coke all have a defensive mind set so when PH complains we’re not taking out chances I wonder what’s happening on the training ground to rectify it apart from shooting practice.
I see Kevin Philips has been let go by South Shields so could we have a finisher like him to work with the strikers

Although there is merit in this about a ' defensive minded bias' in the coaching then you also wonder why our defense hasn't been tighter? Of course, our defense has been changed both in formation and personnel that maybe players haven't been able to develop better understandings between each other. It is still a concern, though,  that we have leaked a lot of 'silly' goals that have cost us points.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 69
Limerick Mariner
April 24, 2023, 11:24am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,737
Gold Stars: 138
Anyone seen Cropper-Smith's goal for Barnet on Saturday? We need that...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 69
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › PH post match

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.