This thread currently has 6,186 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Jackie Lewis
April 23, 2023, 3:31pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +75
Wonder if the coaching set up needs looking at over the summer. Hurst, Doig, Davies and Coke all have a defensive mind set so when PH complains we’re not taking out chances I wonder what’s happening on the training ground to rectify it apart from shooting practice.
I see Kevin Philips has been let go by South Shields so could we have a finisher like him to work with the strikers
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 69
Northbank Mariner
April 23, 2023, 3:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,526
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from Jackie Lewis
Wonder if the coaching set up needs looking at over the summer. Hurst, Doig, Davies and Coke all have a defensive mind set so when PH complains we’re not taking out chances I wonder what’s happening on the training ground to rectify it apart from shooting practice.
I see Kevin Philips has been let go by South Shields so could we have a finisher like him to work with the strikers

Same drum I've beaten for months...we need an attack minding coach to balance the back room staff, how are attackers meant to improve without the correct coaching, we git Croudson in to sort out the keepers, maybe an attacking(striker) coach may just help sort the top end of the pitch out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 69
DB
April 23, 2023, 3:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.43
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,048
Gold Stars: 391
Having just watched the post-match by Hurst he seemed totally p!ssed off. He appears to be fed up telling unnamed players what to do.

From his tone it looks as if he's going to have clear out, so we'll have to wait and see.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 69
HertsGTFC
April 23, 2023, 3:47pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228
I think there will be a lot of posters across social media who are going to be disappointed this close season and start getting really vocal if we don't sign the players that will no doubt be touted as the prospect that will fix all of our issues across whatever area of the pitch.

I think we just need to trust "the organisation" as Jason Stockwood calls it, PH I guess will have the best budget he's ever had at GTFC but wage demands, and any paid fees will no doubt increase. We have an experienced Head of Recruitment who you'd assume has been working full time on a recruitment campaign and I'd be amazed if PH hadn't told him about who he wanted as his core targets as well as a clear expectation on identifying new talent.  

The lads that will remain look like a good group and we know PH will continue to create a decent culture, the support staff is a bit like what you'd see at a decent set up  Cheapside isn't the best but looks fit for purpose for now and we've heard a bit about how we'd like to support players with a life outside the game etc..

I still don't think we'll see a couple of players coming in on what would have been for us considered big money before now, but I do think that we will see a number of players coming in on better money than what we've paid and I would imagine a re-structured bonus scheme for all of the squad. There will be a few unknown's and though it's not popular with some he'll lean on the loan market too.

Personally I'm going to keep an open mind and see what happens as I am 100% sure PH won't sign anyone on the basis of how good the Twitter community say they are or the opinion of any other social media platform.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 69
DB
April 23, 2023, 4:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.43
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,048
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I think there will be a lot of posters across social media who are going to be disappointed this close season and start getting really vocal if we don't sign the players that will no doubt be touted as the prospect that will fix all of our issues across whatever area of the pitch.

I think we just need to trust "the organisation" as Jason Stockwood calls it, PH I guess will have the best budget he's ever had at GTFC but wage demands, and any paid fees will no doubt increase. We have an experienced Head of Recruitment who you'd assume has been working full time on a recruitment campaign and I'd be amazed if PH hadn't told him about who he wanted as his core targets as well as a clear expectation on identifying new talent.  

The lads that will remain look like a good group and we know PH will continue to create a decent culture, the support staff is a bit like what you'd see at a decent set up  Cheapside isn't the best but looks fit for purpose for now and we've heard a bit about how we'd like to support players with a life outside the game etc..

I still don't think we'll see a couple of players coming in on what would have been for us considered big money before now, but I do think that we will see a number of players coming in on better money than what we've paid and I would imagine a re-structured bonus scheme for all of the squad. There will be a few unknown's and though it's not popular with some he'll lean on the loan market too.

Personally I'm going to keep an open mind and see what happens as I am 100% sure PH won't sign anyone on the basis of how good the Twitter community say they are or the opinion of any other social media platform.

A very good post. I might be optimistic but to me, the future looks good.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 69
RonMariner
April 23, 2023, 4:21pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,814
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from paulgtfc

The man in the ticket office at Northampton said no way was Fox on the money being touted on the Fishy.  That would seem plausible given their gates and lack of obvious financial backing elsewhere.

Correct. He said most of the squad were on £2.5k or less, with one exception, not Fox, who was on a bit more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 69
Poojah
April 23, 2023, 4:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,742
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from toontown

The sensible financials are likely to be a problem in today's market for forwards.
Depends on your definition of sensible though I suppose.

Well, in a world of extremes where at one end you’ve got Scunny’s high-risk, gung-ho, oblivion-inducing spendfest and at the other you’ve got Fentynomics - sensible to the point of recklessness, austerely risk averse, balance the books at all costs, rarely speculate, rarely accumulate, I’d say we’re somewhere close to the halfway line.

Honestly, I’m fairly comfortable with that. Two years in, it’s done us fairly well on reflection. We know that next season’s budget will be bigger than this seasons, and that should be sufficient to see us improve incrementally in terms of quality throughout the squad. I just think in certain areas where we’ve struggled in recent times, particularly up top, we may need to push the boat a little further than we have this season.

I think we’re very close to being a side that can challenge in League Two. The difference may simply be a case of evolving the wage structure where crucial skill sets are concerned.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 69
moosey_club
April 23, 2023, 4:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,298
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Pffft....this is the fishy Herts...come on....toe the line and make a bold barnpot statement that you can later U turn on if needed.
For example.....I will go with...
If Hursts first signing isn't a proven goalscorer I won't be renewing my season ticket as its clear he is as stubborn as ever and will be playing it safe again.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 69
arryarryarry
April 23, 2023, 4:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from DB
Having just watched the post-match by Hurst he seemed totally p!ssed off. He appears to be fed up telling unnamed players what to do.

From his tone it looks as if he's going to have clear out, so we'll have to wait and see.

He keeps picking the buggers.

For me he spends too much time tinkering with team selections, formations and tactics and worrying about the opposition rather than letting them worry about us.
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 69
HerveJosse
April 23, 2023, 5:56pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,205
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from Poojah

Umerah has got 15 in 46 appearances in all competitions (12 league + 3 FA Cup). That’s an excellent record in a relegated team - you’d have to think that he’s capable of scoring 20+ in a team pushing at the right end of the table.

I’d have him here in a heartbeat, assuming sensible financials.

Apparently he was very poor yesterday when Hartlepool needed him to step up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 69
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › PH post match

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.