HertsGTFC
April 22, 2023, 11:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Lloyd has 10 goal involvements (5 goals, 5 assists) for us which is a great return and shows that goals aren't the only thing to judge a striker on. The point I was getting at was that I'm not too concerned about their previous strike rate, it's about what they do in a Grimsby shirt that counts. I think Amond spent a lot of time played out wide for example.

I would also argue that scoring 12 for Hartlepool (Umerah) is probably a better achievement than scoring 21 for second place Northampton (Hoskins). Without looking, Umerah is probably being presented with less chances and therefore more clinical.

I see what you’re saying, I don’t agree with you in terms of having a good all round game versus goal record when you take into account our current challenges.

Umerah is being talked up, this season he’s not got a great record with assists, pass completion, shots per game and shots on target. We gifted him a goal on GF which he took well but he didn’t do everything right as some on here fiercely asserted that he did. Feels a bit like Dallas in that many people touting him have only really seen him play against us. Umerah may have size but like any player you don’t know if they’re the messiah or not until they get here but you can have a more informed view if they’ve scored goals consistently through their career.

When you look at the hard facts of 12 goals in 39 games (mostly starting) for a side that will be relegated should we not be a bit more ambitious providing we can?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 69
forza ivano
April 22, 2023, 11:23pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
feels weird to disagree with Tommy but I think Glennon is getting back to his previous levels, as his confidence returns. The Brighton game may be looked back on as a turning point.
Just 1 point on Khouri - he was retained by WHU till he was 16 - he's got summat about him. if you watch him he is able to move the ball much quicker, n he is definitely speedier than Harry. And finally - think we agree that PH is generally a good judge of a player; Khouri has not been released since PH has been here, despite being a bit part player. That says a lot imho

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 69
jamesgtfc
April 22, 2023, 11:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I see what you’re saying, I don’t agree with you in terms of having a good all round game versus goal record when you take into account our current challenges.

Umerah is being talked up, this season he’s not got a great record with assists, pass completion, shots per game and shots on target. We gifted him a goal on GF which he took well but he didn’t do everything right as some on here fiercely asserted that he did. Feels a bit like Dallas in that many people touting him have only really seen him play against us. Umerah may have size but like any player you don’t know if they’re the messiah or not until they get here but you can have a more informed view if they’ve scored goals consistently through their career.

I absolutely agree with you that we need a goalscorer next season. I think Lloyd can be that person and hope we are able to sign him permanently; but I trust Hurst to unearth a rough diamond with what looks to be a poor return when we head to Wikipedia.

Cedwyn Scott at Notts has 15 league goals compared to the 41 Langstaff has scored but his minutes per goal is a very respectable 118 (the same as Andy Cook at Bradford with 26 goals this season).

I haven't looked into the respective stats of Umerah and Hoskins but, often, strikers in struggling teams have much less opportunities than those at the top end of the league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 69
HertsGTFC
April 22, 2023, 11:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I absolutely agree with you that we need a goalscorer next season. I think Lloyd can be that person and hope we are able to sign him permanently; but I trust Hurst to unearth a rough diamond with what looks to be a poor return when we head to Wikipedia.

Cedwyn Scott at Notts has 15 league goals compared to the 41 Langstaff has scored but his minutes per goal is a very respectable 118 (the same as Andy Cook at Bradford with 26 goals this season).

I haven't looked into the respective stats of Umerah and Hoskins but, often, strikers in struggling teams have much less opportunities than those at the top end of the league.

I think they are Umerah’s league stats, I think he’s got a couple in the pizza cup.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 69
Maringer
April 23, 2023, 12:02am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from forza ivano
feels weird to disagree with Tommy but I think Glennon is getting back to his previous levels, as his confidence returns. The Brighton game may be looked back on as a turning point.
Just 1 point on Khouri - he was retained by WHU till he was 16 - he's got summat about him. if you watch him he is able to move the ball much quicker, n he is definitely speedier than Harry. And finally - think we agree that PH is generally a good judge of a player; Khouri has not been released since PH has been here, despite being a bit part player. That says a lot imho

I don't see Khouri as being any quicker than Clifton (who is only quick-ish himself). In fact, he hasn't looked quick at all in any of the games I've seen him play!

He may be able to move the ball on more quickly than Clifton, but that remains to be seen with more appearances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 69
Norseman
April 23, 2023, 12:35am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +277
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from Stew0_0
Seeing that Wrexham and probably Notts county coming up from the national League, both who have quality 30+ a season strikers, it's even more imperative we get our forward line right in the summer. (77 goals in 94 games from Mullin.)

Think we've a solid back 4 contracted for next season, sprinkle some goals and creativity in midfield and the wide areas and focus the majority of our budget on a completely new forward line and we can be competitive.

Today just reaffirmed that the current strikers with the exception of Lloyd shouldn't be here next term and quality needed in key areas to maintain progress. Just hope Hurst and his recruitment guy have some irons in the fire.

Utm

County won't have Langstaff next year
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 69
Mappers
April 23, 2023, 6:26am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,449
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from Heisenberg

Glennon not good enough? Have a f#cking word with yourself.

I have to agree with Tommy

Glennon is extremely slow and can be torched by a simple ball in behind him either resulting in a desperate last ditch challenge or chance .

But we have areas that are weaker so I would be happy with Glennon as long as we add the high quality in the other areas we require.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 69
Davec
April 23, 2023, 6:46am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 42
I don't quite understand people's comments not just on here and Facebook/twitter, I keep seeing this line that we have a rock solid defence so we don't need to strengthen in that next season, only 7 teams have conceded more than us this season in league games, is that a rock solid defence? And then people seem to contradict themselves about the striking options, they say we need a total overhaul up top and them they talk about retaining 75% of the striking options so how's that an overhaul?

May be an unpopular opinion but I think we need a total revamp in every area, we have to be ruthless, as much as I appreciate the FA cup run.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 69
Mappers
April 23, 2023, 7:14am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,449
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from Davec
I don't quite understand people's comments not just on here and Facebook/twitter, I keep seeing this line that we have a rock solid defence so we don't need to strengthen in that next season, only 7 teams have conceded more than us this season in league games, is that a rock solid defence? And then people seem to contradict themselves about the striking options, they say we need a total overhaul up top and them they talk about retaining 75% of the striking options so how's that an overhaul?

May be an unpopular opinion but I think we need a total revamp in every area, we have to be ruthless, as much as I appreciate the FA cup run.

I know what you mean and i have thought the same on occasion .
But we are more than likely to finish 12-14th which on paper is a decent season for a promoted team .
The question is : would a sprinkling of quality added to what we have propel us to challengers /play off contenders ?

Or is the more extreme approach required, potentially unsettling the great team spirit and good group of people we have ?

We will find out with Hursts summer turnover what his thoughts are .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 69
lukeo
April 23, 2023, 7:31am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
If its possible should we be ruthless and get a whole fresh set in? Yes.
But realistically (without checking who's under contract next season) if we have this same squad and added a decent cb, wide player, cm and striker (maybe even a goalkeeper) then we'd definitely be up in the top 7 area..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 69
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › PH post match

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.