7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
aldi_01
April 23, 2023, 7:59am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
To be honest, even if we’d recruited well, or better last preseason I don’t think it would’ve mattered, our actual pre season was so short, I’d imagine it was hard to fully embed the principles and then once the season starts focus does shift.

I think everyone at the club needs a rest. Or promotion was a whirlwind and the most mental 2 weeks ever, unique and arguably the most exciting promotion campaign ever (sorry Wrexham, but it’s true) then, a week of celebrating, a week off and back to it.

I do think we’ll see a Rob Jones effect in some players, been ok this year but will be much improved next year. Then, we all know Hurst will add a smattering of rough diamonds and players we’ve never heard of who will improve us. We won’t just Spaff our budget and we know there’ll be a plan which for a change, is actually reassuring compared to the past.

There are big spending teams in the league and at least one who will have zero structure other than to spend. This naturally skews things and then we’ve had a well documented cup win which will see some players changing their arms.

I think we need another keeper, a solid ball playing midfielder, not a kick and run Green type. Obviously we could do with someone a little more clinical up top and I’d imagine at least one more centre half. What I do know is I want players who want to play for GTFC. That buy into what we’re about, that believe in themselves, their team and the club.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 69
Mappers
April 23, 2023, 8:11am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,445
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from lukeo
If its possible should we be ruthless and get a whole fresh set in? Yes.
But realistically (without checking who's under contract next season) if we have this same squad and added a decent cb, wide player, cm and striker (maybe even a goalkeeper) then we'd definitely be up in the top 7 area..

Thats my thinking
Its risk V reward really , we could do complete overhaul it be fantastic or completely flop .
Incremental improvement but of high quality but not particularly high numbers would give us a trade off of continuity yet that improvement that would give us a decent chance of being at the higher end .

League 2 is not that good
I mean this season without dropping silly points we should /would have been a bit higher up , even with this set if they performed at their optimum slightly more consistently we would probably be further up the table .

I think sometimes people miss that it's not just us who are bad/inconsistent, a poor watch at times and miss a lot of chances ; it basically summarises league 2 teams/players   in general .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 69
Mappers
April 23, 2023, 8:13am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
To be honest, even if we’d recruited well, or better last preseason I don’t think it would’ve mattered, our actual pre season was so short, I’d imagine it was hard to fully embed the principles and then once the season starts focus does shift.

I think everyone at the club needs a rest. Or promotion was a whirlwind and the most mental 2 weeks ever, unique and arguably the most exciting promotion campaign ever (sorry Wrexham, but it’s true) then, a week of celebrating, a week off and back to it.

I do think we’ll see a Rob Jones effect in some players, been ok this year but will be much improved next year. Then, we all know Hurst will add a smattering of rough diamonds and players we’ve never heard of who will improve us. We won’t just Spaff our budget and we know there’ll be a plan which for a change, is actually reassuring compared to the past.

There are big spending teams in the league and at least one who will have zero structure other than to spend. This naturally skews things and then we’ve had a well documented cup win which will see some players changing their arms.

I think we need another keeper, a solid ball playing midfielder, not a kick and run Green type. Obviously we could do with someone a little more clinical up top and I’d imagine at least one more centre half. What I do know is I want players who want to play for GTFC. That buy into what we’re about, that believe in themselves, their team and the club.

In that interview Hurst already seemed dejected about 'the ones up top' I wondered whether we have had some unofficial knock backs already ?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 69
jimgtfc
April 23, 2023, 8:21am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,101
Gold Stars: 45
I’m amazed some don’t rate Glennon. Yeah he’s not the finished article yet but at only 23, and with one of the most experienced left backs in football league history as his manager, I think he’s got huge potential. He changed the game when he came on at home to Barrow the other week and he’s the most effective crosser of the ball at the club, 5 assists from 28 appearances, with our dead beat strike force back that up.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 69
cannylad65
April 23, 2023, 8:25am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Approval: +77
Gold Stars: 7
I worry that next season we will be in a relegation battle if we don't get better players in.
Signing players who can pass a ball 10 yards to their own players would be a good start.
The make up of the squad this season is totally unbalanced.
Far too many midfielders, it seems like, pick any three, and hope for the best.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 69
Mappers
April 23, 2023, 8:37am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from jimgtfc
I’m amazed some don’t rate Glennon. Yeah he’s not the finished article yet but at only 23, and with one of the most experienced left backs in football league history as his manager, I think he’s got huge potential. He changed the game when he came on at home to Barrow the other week and he’s the most effective crosser of the ball at the club, 5 assists from 28 appearances, with our dead beat strike force back that up.

I do actually rate Glennon tbf from a dead ball he is very good but if you play him it takes away the need for Hunt - as that was a big part of his game when he had his first good spell for us .

The problem with Glennon and Morris (both who i actually rate so I am not slagging them off)
Is that whenever there is a quick transition from attack to having to defend and they are caught ahead of the ball they are dead so you are effectively playing without 2 players , their attempts to get back are painful to watch (from the lower ) and a quick ball in behind or between the lines or in behind the space Glennon has left leaves the opposition with a decent chance .

So you are left with morris just sitting which is fine IF we had players who had some flair in the middle next to him , which would make him look a much better player i suspect ,but green does a similiar job .

And then Clifton used to protect Glennon in quite a lot of games and doing a good job , if we keep Glennon i would actually just use Clifton LM consistently so they could build that understanding and he just slots in on the times Glennon does go forward so it negates those channel balls but if we play an actual wide player without too much defensive duties i think Glennon would need to be replaced .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 69
lew chaterleys lover
April 23, 2023, 9:09am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,755
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Davec
I don't quite understand people's comments not just on here and Facebook/twitter, I keep seeing this line that we have a rock solid defence so we don't need to strengthen in that next season, only 7 teams have conceded more than us this season in league games, is that a rock solid defence? And then people seem to contradict themselves about the striking options, they say we need a total overhaul up top and them they talk about retaining 75% of the striking options so how's that an overhaul?

May be an unpopular opinion but I think we need a total revamp in every area, we have to be ruthless, as much as I appreciate the FA cup run.

The trouble with a major revamp is that you swap one set of players for another and don't get the quality you need.

You can if you throw unlimited money at it, but we are doing the opposite of that and trying to get as much value for money from an improved but not top budget.

Personally I hope Hurst keeps a good chunk of the squad and uses what money he has on real quality for a few players.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 69
Poojah
April 23, 2023, 9:14am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,740
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I think they are Umerah’s league stats, I think he’s got a couple in the pizza cup.

Umerah has got 15 in 46 appearances in all competitions (12 league + 3 FA Cup). That’s an excellent record in a relegated team - you’d have to think that he’s capable of scoring 20+ in a team pushing at the right end of the table.

I’d have him here in a heartbeat, assuming sensible financials.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 69
HertsGTFC
April 23, 2023, 9:18am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Poojah

Umerah has got 15 in 46 appearances in all competitions (12 league + 3 FA Cup). That’s an excellent record in a relegated team - you’d have to think that he’s capable of scoring 20+ in a team pushing at the right end of the table.

I’d have him here in a heartbeat, assuming sensible financials.

1 in 3 is decent, you would suspect he’d be courting interest.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 69
moosey_club
April 23, 2023, 10:13am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,299
Gold Stars: 226
If Hurst is being "ruthless" then I think Hunt may be in trouble. He seems to have been his midfield fall guy this year....would seem strange as he is on a longer term contract but as Hurst clearly doesn't trust him to play regularly then maybe...
Would be building something around him personally but hey.

Also regards our defensive records then a big issue is there have been so many variations in players,  formation  then who actually knows what our best line up is ?  Defensive units need stability, need to know each others games, strengths and weaknesses you perform as a unit.
Salford away first half was a great example of new formation,  players being completely confused and as a result wide open, should have been 3 or 4 down by half time.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 69
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › PH post match

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.