blundellpork
April 22, 2023, 9:48pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,668
Gold Stars: 32
Quoted from aldi_01
I think Khouri will be a good player for town but he does need time.

Hurst will know who’s being offered a deal and he’ll know where our key areas are. Interesting isn’t it, football and the opinions we all have. I don’t dislike Green or Maher but for me they take us no further than tenth. They have a part to play I’m sure but I just don’t think they’re players that can elevate us to the next level.

Whilst Green has a lot of support in the crowd, I’ve been quite disappointed at how limited Hurst’s top target from last year has been. He’s not a bad player, but we certainly need better to be challenging the top 7.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 69
Maringer
April 22, 2023, 9:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
I think Maher is a decent player and is better in footballing terms than our other central defenders as well. The issues in our defence have mostly come from the wide areas where we've chopped and changed players and formation. I think Maher could be part of a good League Two defence. Only problem is that the full-backs/wing-backs and midfield need to be sorted out as well!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 69
HertsGTFC
April 22, 2023, 10:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Maringer
I think Maher is a decent player and is better in footballing terms than our other central defenders as well. The issues in our defence have mostly come from the wide areas where we've chopped and changed players and formation. I think Maher could be part of a good League Two defence. Only problem is that the full-backs/wing-backs and midfield need to be sorted out as well!

I think our defending has been pretty poor far too often this season and it’s not just at LB & RB. You can see Maher can play and reads it well but as a unit including Max they’ve been bang average and we’ve conceded some shockingly soft goals when players should have taken responsibility.

All of our defenders have found adjusting to or back to playing in the EFL a challenge and it exposed several deficiencies that will need to be worked on.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 69
lew chaterleys lover
April 22, 2023, 10:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,755
Gold Stars: 237
I think sadly we will find it difficult in the summer. The primary reason being so many clubs are happy enough, or silly enough dependant on your point of view, to throw money at the players who a lot of clubs will be aware of.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the budget, though increased, is still not enough to get the players he would most like as in his interview he mentioned the budget and how to deal with it.

I personally hope he doesn't discard too many players, who after all have got us to mid table, but spends most of the budget on what quality he can, who will themselves bring the best out of our current players.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 69
Heisenberg
April 22, 2023, 10:36pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from Tommy
I like the look of Khouri but wonder whether he might be worth trying at left back for a run of games. As I don't think Amos or Glennon are good enough to take us further.

Glennon not good enough? Have a f#cking word with yourself.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 69
HertsGTFC
April 22, 2023, 10:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
I think sadly we will find it difficult in the summer. The primary reason being so many clubs are happy enough, or silly enough dependant on your point of view, to throw money at the players who a lot of clubs will be aware of.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the budget, though increased, is still not enough to get the players he would most like as in his interview he mentioned the budget and how to deal with it.

I personally hope he doesn't discard too many players, who after all have got us to mid table, but spends most of the budget on what quality he can, who will themselves bring the best out of our current players.

People have different views but I think we need to sign/re-sign 2 keepers, 2 CB’s, 1 x LB, 1 x RB, a mid fielder who can keep the ball, a midfielder who can pass the ball, a decent 10 who knows what to do and when, a striker to play into who has a goals record, size & touch (good luck) and a fox in the box who at minimum has a 1 in 3 goals per game return. We’ve got a better budget but I’m not convinced it’s that good.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 69
jamesgtfc
April 22, 2023, 10:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from HertsGTFC

People have different views but I think we need to sign/re-sign 2 keepers, 2 CB’s, 1 x LB, 1 x RB, a mid fielder who can keep the ball, a midfielder who can pass the ball, a decent 10 who knows what to do and when, a striker to play into who has a goals record, size & touch (good luck) and a fox in the box who at minimum has a 1 in 3 goals per game return. We’ve got a better budget but I’m not convinced it’s that good.

I'm not too bothered about what the strike rate of a striker is, Amond was about 1 in 4 but scored 37 in 50 for us. George Lloyd has 19 goals in 156 games but I would be happy with him.

I think Hurst will be ruthless, he has the benefit of being able to execute any plans much sooner than last summer. I'm fully expecting height and strength to be on his shopping list this summer given his comments in recent months.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 69
HertsGTFC
April 22, 2023, 10:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I'm not too bothered about what the strike rate of a striker is, .

Completely get your Amond point but surely you can only judge a striker by his goal record?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 69
jamesgtfc
April 22, 2023, 10:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Completely get your Amond point but surely you can only judge a striker by his goal record?

Lloyd has 10 goal involvements (5 goals, 5 assists) for us which is a great return and shows that goals aren't the only thing to judge a striker on. The point I was getting at was that I'm not too concerned about their previous strike rate, it's about what they do in a Grimsby shirt that counts. I think Amond spent a lot of time played out wide for example.

I would also argue that scoring 12 for Hartlepool (Umerah) is probably a better achievement than scoring 21 for second place Northampton (Hoskins). Without looking, Umerah is probably being presented with less chances and therefore more clinical.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 69
ska face
April 22, 2023, 11:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,774
Gold Stars: 851
Quoted from Heisenberg

Glennon not good enough? Have a f#cking word with yourself.

Not rated at Barrow, been hit & miss this season. Not a bad thing to want to improve all over the pitch. In 2016/17 we had Danny Andrew & Zak Mills in at LB - both probably better than our current options in that position (at the time, obviously).
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 69
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › PH post match

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.