pontoonlew
April 1, 2023, 4:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,042
Gold Stars: 177
Nice 15 min journey home.

Entertaining game that we threw away with complete anti-football in the second and ended up with exactly what we deserved.

Taylor, Holohan & McAtee were absolutely dreadful, neither of them could string a simple pass together and I’m sure Taylor won one ball all game.

On the beach now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
LondonMariner43
April 1, 2023, 4:22pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,955
Gold Stars: 64
Watched most of the game on a free streaming site.  Thought we played some decent stuff at times but got bullied out of the game.  For the second half of the first half we looked good and dominant.  This has been a long tough season but I still think we have the makings of a competitive side for next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 66
ska face
April 1, 2023, 4:23pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,664
Gold Stars: 847
With the exception of Maher and probably Green, I wouldn’t be distraught to see the back of any of that lot today. Absolute shít, miles off it.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 66
HerveJosse
April 1, 2023, 4:46pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
We looked good for twentty minutes before half time When we turned to time wasting it also took any impetus we had left out the game. Taylor is now playing walking foitball and offered nothing in the second half .a number of others looked out of gas in second half.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 66
lukeo
April 1, 2023, 5:24pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,378
Gold Stars: 148
I won't say too much as I've had alot of hate for my opinion on Taylor since he's been back from injury but today hopefully people will see where I'm coming from.
I only managed to watch the first half and felt we did well, listened to the 2nd whilst I was linesmaning a game, we didn't seem in it as much but will leave it to others who watched/went. Well done to the fans as always , could hear you clearly 👏 UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 66
Spurn boy
April 1, 2023, 5:26pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,240
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from HerveJosse
We looked good for twentty minutes before half time When we turned to time wasting it also took any impetus we had left out the game. Taylor is now playing walking foitball and offered nothing in the second half .a number of others looked out of gas in second half.

It’s been a long season for all the players following on from a successful play off , I think today was the 51st game that Crocombe has played this season and some of the other players have played more games than they would have expected to play so although we all feel a bit peeved about today I think we have had a remarkable season and everyone is ready for a well earned break.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 66
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
April 1, 2023, 5:29pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +2 / -5
Approval: -158
Gold Stars: 78
Might as well have not come out for the second half, totally  toothless

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 66
Hagrid
April 1, 2023, 5:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,437
Gold Stars: 536
Looked exhausted second half. Created zilch and invited pressure. Our timewasting riled the crowd and got them back to supporting their team.

Just about finishing high as we can now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 66
Croxton
April 1, 2023, 5:33pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,017
Gold Stars: 33
We have zero game management skills, either on or off ,the pitch. First order is to look after the ball and find a team mate. On the deck where possible but the channels if not. So many occasions when the man with the ball made a rushed decision.

McAtee has the skills and composure to retain the ball  but not the consistency to link with others. Berating his team mates early in the second half was a bad look but it was Taylor who should have been replaced for a more mobile attack. We have been out passed for spells in every game which means we have to run around to get the ball back.

Too much talk in post match interviews about fatigue and not enough about tactics. Getting Orsi or Khan on much earlier would have helped Lloyd find some space. Sadly, he is suffering a battering and getting little help from the officials.

Glennon was exposed too often in a back four. When he makes one error you know there will be another following shortly.

Not saying we have to replace most of the team like Ska says but we had no one who needed watching as much as Cook. He lost markers with ease, held the ball when needed and timed his runs well. If Bradford's delivery had been a bit sharper he could have had at least one more.

Thought Bradford's stewards were top class. Friendly, smart and professional inside and outside the ground.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 66
headingly_mariner
April 1, 2023, 5:55pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,379
Gold Stars: 119
Was a pretty good game but we'd shot our bolt by 55 minutes.

Had Cook been playing for us today we'd have won, I'm really impressed with how he's come on since he played for us. Missed Waterfall and Efete.

Criticism of Taylor was harsh, he's clearly not fit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 66
Mayaman
April 1, 2023, 6:20pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,416
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from lukeo
I won't say too much as I've had alot of hate for my opinion on Taylor since he's been back from injury but today hopefully people will see where I'm coming from.
I only managed to watch the first half and felt we did well, listened to the 2nd whilst I was linesmaning a game, we didn't seem in it as much but will leave it to others who watched/went. Well done to the fans as always , could hear you clearly 👏 UTM

I got a massive slating for saying he was off the mark before he got injured.  His reaction time is too slow.  I like the bloke but it's time to hang up the boots or drop a level or two.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 66
chipsandgravy
April 1, 2023, 6:22pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,614
Gold Stars: 37
Whilst I respect people's opinions on today's "narrow"defeat to a decent play off team I am really surprised at the overly negative response to today's performance and the vitriol aimed at certain players. Whilst the second half was disappointing there were many passages of play when we looked half decent. Add that with our recent performances at Mansfield and Crawley then I think with additions there is certainly reasons to be optimistic. We all know where our shortcomings are and I am sure the manager does. Up till today Bradford had played one game and we had played three - and towards the end of the half it understandably began to show.
Orient are a great example of a well run club operating within their means who, after getting promoted out of non league, have steadily improved their position in the league over the last three seasons to sit in pole position. We may have to be a little patient to try and emulate them. As long as we improve year on year then that's good enough for me. And for those calling for Hurst's head - have a word with yourself please.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 66
April 1, 2023, 6:27pm
Guest User
Quoted from pontoonlew
Nice 15 min journey home.

Entertaining game that we threw away with complete anti-football in the second and ended up with exactly what we deserved.

Taylor, Holohan & McAtee were absolutely dreadful, neither of them could string a simple pass together and I’m sure Taylor won one ball all game.

On the beach now.

And I'm sure I saw him flick on a minimum of 4 balls, maybe you was watching a different match than I was!

Reply: 12 - 66
pontoonlew
April 1, 2023, 6:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 123614

And I'm sure I saw him flick on a minimum of 4 balls, maybe you was watching a different match than I was!

Will be happy for you to watch the 90 mins and show me those 4 because I guarantee they don’t exist, he was dreadful
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 66
CSLM
April 1, 2023, 6:40pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +642
Gold Stars: 12
I guess in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter but the second half was a bit disappointing.

It feels to me like we take the *hithousery and timewasting a little too far now and it breeds negativity through the team. Every team does it but I do think refs should be much stronger, book players early and everytime they kick the ball away. Saying that we would have had about 15 red cards lol.

I agree with everyone else about lloyd. Would be great to have him next year. He looks like he has real potential and works incredibly hard.
Also feel a bit sorry for McAtee. Can't help thinking he feels massively under pressure to show how good he is and this is not helping his performances. Would 100% have him here next season though if Luton would allow it. Same with Smith from Hull.
Going to be really interesting to see how we line up first game next season, lots of time to go.
Noticed on the Bradford forum they said we could have Chapman, they don't like him at all. If we could afford him and he would come I think he would be a great signing.

Overall I think we have done well. Plenty of frustrating games but we do look very capable of being a force with some decent additions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 66
April 1, 2023, 6:50pm
Guest User
Quoted from pontoonlew

Will be happy for you to watch the 90 mins and show me those 4 because I guarantee they don’t exist, he was dreadful

I'm not the one that needs to re watch the whole game, I watched the whole game, and saw him flick on at least 4 headers, it's you that needs to watch the game again.

Reply: 15 - 66
MuddyWaters
April 1, 2023, 6:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,264
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from 123614

When it comes to Tayls, people see what they want to see. Without him, particularly at Wrexham, we’d still be non league.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 66
fishcake63
April 1, 2023, 6:55pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
Quoted from ska face
With the exception of Maher and probably Green, I wouldn’t be distraught to see the back of any of that lot today. Absolute shít, miles off it.

Really
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 66
HertsGTFC
April 1, 2023, 6:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,956
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from lukeo

You got some stick on Twitter because you said Taylor has not been putting the effort in.

One thing I am 100% sure of if he wasn’t putting in the effort Hurst wouldn’t have him anywhere near the squad.

Always frustrating when you lose after being ahead especially after fading so badly but they’ve spent and pay big so have better players than us, it’s as simple as that.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 66
chipsandgravy
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,614
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from ska face

Is there a post of the week for red crosses?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 66
ska face

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,664
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from Hagrid
Our timewasting riled the crowd and got them back to supporting their team.

This is a good point. Stupid thing to do winding their fans up as, until that point, we might as well have played on the moon for all the atmosphere there was. Fair enough if you’re 1 up with 5 mins left, but time wasting from about 50 mins in gives the impression that you’re clinging on, doesn’t really inspire much confidence in the idea that you want to go out there and actually win the game.

Hurst said it after Crawley - a team full of winners wins that game comfortably. We have a team full of nice guys.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 66
Northbank Mariner
April 1, 2023, 6:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,492
Gold Stars: 171
Can I just say for all those red crossing those that have had a pop at Taylor, look at Cook today, he's everything Taylor is with the ability to score, what a proper target man is in the team for. Taylors race as pro footballer in the EFL is run, apart from the very odd knock on he offers and contributes very little now. Fantastic last season, but this is a season too far for him I'm afraid.
As for today, after 55 minutes we were dead and they knew it, there 12 had Glennon on toast and Cook won everything against Smith, they ran the channels, passed us off the park and Hurst, again, waited far, far too long to make any changes....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 66
pontoonlew
April 1, 2023, 7:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

When it comes to Tayls, people see what they want to see. Without him, particularly at Wrexham, we’d still be non league.

When it comes to Taylor, fans are unable to see what’s in front of their eyes, nobody can watch that game today and tell me he was anything other than dreadful. But because it’s Taylor, people leap to his defence no matter how he played.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 66
Grantley
April 1, 2023, 7:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,514
Gold Stars: 9
Crocombe at fault for all 3 goals today.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 66
lukeo
April 1, 2023, 7:36pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from HertsGTFC

You got some stick on Twitter because you said Taylor has not been putting the effort in.

One thing I am 100% sure of if he wasn’t putting in the effort Hurst wouldn’t have him anywhere near the squad.

Always frustrating when you lose after being ahead especially after fading so badly but they’ve spent and pay big so have better players than us, it’s as simple as that.

I'm sticking by what I said, I didn't feel he put enough effort in, whether that's down to still not being 100% fit only he knows , but if that's the case he shouldn't be chucked back in yet.
Maybe I was slightly critical but I very really get angry watching town. But watching his performance mid week I was fuming. Maybe I was over analysing it too much but a few times he definitely didn't put enough effort in whether it was jumping for a header, moving off the ball or closing down etc.
Anyway, that's what a forum is for. Debating and opinions. I appreciate and accept everyone's who disagree with me and like I said on twitter I loved Taylor last season. Especially that goal v Wrexham.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 66
Rodley Mariner
April 1, 2023, 7:40pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Quoted from pontoonlew

When it comes to Taylor, fans are unable to see what’s in front of their eyes, nobody can watch that game today and tell me he was anything other than dreadful. But because it’s Taylor, people leap to his defence no matter how he played.

You have your narrative set and you look for every shred of evidence to support it with no nuance or balance. So Taylor is dreadful and McAtee can't put a foot wrong when clearly the truth is somewhere in the middle for 2 League 2 footballers. Similarly I see plenty on Twitter who have decided McAtee isn't interested and totally ignore the plentiful evidence that's not at all true.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 66
pontoonlew
April 1, 2023, 7:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

You have your narrative set and you look for every shred of evidence to support it with no nuance or balance. So Taylor is dreadful and McAtee can't put a foot wrong when clearly the truth is somewhere in the middle for 2 League 2 footballers. Similarly I see plenty on Twitter who have decided McAtee isn't interested and totally ignore the plentiful evidence that's not at all true.

I’ve already said McAtee was dreadful today btw
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 66
IlkleyMariner
April 1, 2023, 7:48pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 69
Usual over reaction from fishy folk when we lose

Was a very entertaining game. At half time Bradford we’re out of it. Manager Hughes got behind his team and his much better more highly paid squad who are in the playoffs won.

Surprise surprise.

Get real fishy folk.

Red x at your wish. Then get real again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 66
fishcake63
April 1, 2023, 7:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
Quoted from Grantley

Disagree but all about opinions , 1st goal for sure other two just terrible defending
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 66
acko338
April 1, 2023, 7:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,224
Gold Stars: 33
We need a new Livingstone type striker who can hold their own against the many big physical centre halves in this Division.

Goals not hugely important, as in 20 goals a season, happy with someone who can score up to 10, but can assist others to spread the load and have more than just a Plan A.

The huge problem throughout the team currently is precise passing, preferably to one of our own.

So many times passes are underhit, putting receivers in immediate trouble. Smith and Glennon were both caught like this today, and either make hasty hoof ball or give the ball to opponents around the halfway line.

This makes for pressure constantly coming back to the defence. Waterfall was sadly missed for clearance headers and organising positioning today, and Cook would have known he was in a game.

I do occasionally wonder if Paul Hurst doesn't like having players who are a lot taller than him???

I would like to see Khouri get some game time now so that his potential can be assessed ready for next season.

Harry Clifton, George Lloyd and John McAfee are running around to compensate for others, and this then takes away their quality, when support is not close enough, making them run rather than have chances to pass to team mates.

Efete and Emmanuel play and interchange well as a pair  but not as good if the other isn't playing.

Taylor sadly isn't at the same level as before his injury, and his age is now against him.

The left back position looks to be a problem when either encumbent is faced with someone with genuine pace.

With many of the above, can this be put down to a shorter pre season and the amount of cup and re-arranged fixtures alongside some wicked long distance away trips over the last month or so?

Another 5 points or so to ensure safety, then look to next season, and a full fresh start.

There may be some harsh and unpopular decisions made at season end, but this season was a bonus after those amazing play off games.

One season back up, and the level has been an eye opener in some games - Swindon being the main one of where we are lacking in some areas.

Let's hope for a more competitive edge next year !!

But..... the fans...... absolutely wonderful all season, just keep expectations realistic !!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 66
HertsGTFC
April 1, 2023, 8:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from lukeo

I'm sticking by what I said, I didn't feel he put enough effort in, whether that's down to still not being 100% fit only he knows , but if that's the case he shouldn't be chucked back in yet.
Maybe I was slightly critical but I very really get angry watching town. But watching his performance mid week I was fuming. Maybe I was over analysing it too much but a few times he definitely didn't put enough effort in whether it was jumping for a header, moving off the ball or closing down etc.
Anyway, that's what a forum is for. Debating and opinions. I appreciate and accept everyone's who disagree with me and like I said on twitter I loved Taylor last season. Especially that goal v Wrexham.

Taylor wasn’t in the squad mid week???

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 66
MuddyWaters
April 1, 2023, 8:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,264
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Taylor wasn’t in the squad mid week???

As I said earlier, when it comes to Tayls, people see what they want to see. 😂😂

He’s had a career threatening/shortening injury. I’m pretty sure a lot of pros would be looking after themselves a bit and, if you don’t like that, blame the manager because he picks him.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 66
lukeo
April 1, 2023, 8:51pm
Season Ticket Holder
Sorry getting my games muddled up 😄 last weekend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 66
zorro_is_a_Mariner
April 1, 2023, 8:55pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +30 / -6
Approval: +1,369
Gold Stars: 4
We have a good nucleus for next season just need to add a bit of quality all around the squad to make us more effective in front of goal. Waterfall big miss today Bradford wouldn't of had half the success through Cook if his was playing.

Gtfc all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 66
HertsGTFC
April 1, 2023, 9:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from lukeo
Sorry getting my games muddled up 😄 last weekend

I went to the game and didn’t see what you saw in fact we created quite a few chances that many players didn’t convert.

Personally Taylor brings craft to the side, whether or not he’s still good enough at that level remains to be seen. I suspect if fit then he’ll feature a lot before the end of the season so the manager can make the call.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 66
TAGG
April 1, 2023, 10:46pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,949
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Grantley

Definitely need a mew keeper next season.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 66
arryarryarry
April 1, 2023, 10:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,036
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Was a pretty good game but we'd shot our bolt by 55 minutes.

Had Cook been playing for us today we'd have won, I'm really impressed with how he's come on since he played for us. Missed Waterfall and Efete.

Criticism of Taylor was harsh, he's clearly not fit.

I was impressed with him when he played for us, was it Hurst who wasn't, he went on to play at a higher level than we have been for years.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 66
Zmariner
April 1, 2023, 11:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,130
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from Grantley

Big Crocombe fan but watched goals and he had a poor game and needs competition and resting as he has not been good since Xmas
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 66
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
April 1, 2023, 11:21pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Brain dump for next season, when Bratford don’t go up and we wreak revenge:

- Don’t walk past the Tesco. You can’t cut up

- Bratford stinks of exhaust fumes, brake fluid and burnt out clutch.

- Police horsefücker LB 3019 (quote this ref when complaining about the animal farm cünt). Trots up to the (innocent) Town fans queuing to get into the East Stand. Shouts at Town fans for almost getting trampled by his equine lover. “Howay, if yee didn’t move for mee big fickin filly, yer fückin doyles, I’ll trample thee to Peterlee (he was from Co Durham, sniffing out the overtime)”. LB 3019 starts laughing like a hi-vis hyena.

- Sat in the Bratford stand, Sue (62), from Frizinghall, asks me to move because someone else normally sits in my seat. But I’ve bought that seat and it’s next to my mates? I prove it by showing her my ticket on the phone. Sue tuts at such technological witchcraft.

-  An enemy created.

- The next 15 mins, pre kick off, are mostly spent by Sue pointing at me, huffing like a stream train and telling everyone on the rows below how miserable and selfish the youth of today are (I’m 40 and old enough to be Sue’s toyboy).

- Respectful clapping for Prof Sharpe. I clap. Sue
claps. I clap hard. Sue claps harder. I look mournful. Sue looks scornful.

- Six minutes of sterile Town dominance. Sloppy defending. Gilliead through Emmanuel and Crocombe like a Karachi curry.

- Sue suspicious.

- Town on the ropes. Smith getting closed down like a Bratford high street shop. Is Smith actually awake?

- Taylor into space. Clifton charging in like an eager haddock. Tumbles. Penalty. Yellow. Holohan - pray to the Saint of Mary. 1-1

- Subtle fist clench. Screams of delight from my fellow Town fan behind me. Sly wink to the Town fans across the tarp divide.

- The wink - in hindsight this adroit act of kinship towards my fellow Fishies may have been misconstrued as a forward gesture of homo-eroticism on my part. Certainly, my frothy-mouthed, Grimsby brethren were not impressed by the wink.

- Enemies to the left of me. Enemies to the right. Here I am, stuck in the middle with Sue

- Sue spins in her seat. Part Exorcist, part Jack Lester. ‘Geerrrrr ahead and t’clap if thou wantest duh. God giveth life, God giveth it awayyy, not yuhhh. I fink yer are the devil ifthself’

- Sue has the radge alright.

- I pretend I’m French. It doesn’t work. I pretend I’m German. It doesn’t work. I show her a photo of my Bradford Council tax bill.

- Sue’s now confused. Conflicted. She’s still trying to understand what I am - who I am - when Smith bundles home Town’s second.

- The Andy Cook song starts up from the Town fans. Sue moans that, “t’its dissgusssting. They be kids around”. Exactly Sue, there are kids around. That’s why we are warning them about him.  

- Half-time. Town 2-1 up. The cold. I didn’t feel it before. Has Sue drugged me? I can’t feel my fingers - it’s April.

- I accidentally trap Sue’s beige coat in my seat. She looks for a steward.

- I look at McAtee

-  If possession is nine tenths of the law, McAtee would be arrested. As McAtee thinks about this…and sharing a flat for the next 6 months with Bim Pepple in some sort of shït ITV sitcom…he takes a slightly crude block to the visage by Stubbs.

- McAtee is now the angriest man in the ground, on the assumption that Sue identifies as a woman.

- Glennon and the linesman flirt over some odd throw-in calls in our favour. Glennon has a fine thatch - does he condition?

“Bratford have only got one ball. The other is owned by Stuart McCall”…

- McAtee, still in a funk, uses Glennon by not using him, and passes infield to a shirt-split Smallwood. Then blames Glennon for his own inadequacies. Bratford almost equalise.

- Momentum shifts like a Waterfall crossfield pass.

- Cook starts bullying Smith again.

- 2-2

- McAtee has now gone 20 mins without finding a teammate, holding up the ball or anything. But it’s Lloyd’s fault according to McAtee.

- Sue’s now getting flirty.  She can tell I’m nervous.

- Cook. 3-2! Instead of celebrating with his teammates, Smallwood repeatedly cups his ears to the Town fans like a nonce in a nonce-off.

- Whistle goes. Sue and I swap numbers and at least one bodily fluid

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 66
Stew0_0
April 1, 2023, 11:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Gold Stars: 35
If our manager had an ounce of bravery about him we would have got something today. They were clearly instructed at half time to defend two banks of 5 and was never gonna work. Within 15 minutes an equaliser then backs against wall from there. I respect Hurst for the instant promotion from the national League but if we are serious about league one then am not sure he's the answer
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 66
HertsGTFC
April 2, 2023, 12:43am

Barley Wine Drinker

- Police horsefücker LB 3019 (quote this ref when complaining about the animal farm cünt). Trots up to the (innocent) Town fans queuing to get into the East Stand. Shouts at Town fans for almost getting trampled by his equine lover. “Howay, if yee didn’t move for mee big fickin filly, yer fückin doyles, I’ll trample thee to Peterlee (he was from Co Durham, sniffing out the overtime)”. LB 3019 starts laughing like a hi-vis hyena.

- Sat in the Bratford stand, Sue (62), from Frizinghall, asks me to move because someone else normally sits in my seat. But I’ve bought that seat and it’s next to my mates? I prove it by showing her my ticket on the phone. Sue tuts at such technological witchcraft.

-  An enemy created.

- The next 15 mins, pre kick off, are mostly spent by Sue pointing at me, huffing like a stream train and telling everyone on the rows below how miserable and selfish the youth of today are (I’m 40 and old enough to be Sue’s toyboy).

- Six minutes of sterile Town dominance. Sloppy defending. Gilliead through Emmanuel and Crocombe like a Karachi curry.

- Sue suspicious.

- Town on the ropes. Smith getting closed down like a Bratford high street shop. Is Smith actually awake?

- Taylor into space. Clifton charging in like an eager haddock. Tumbles. Penalty. Yellow. Holohan - pray to the Saint of Mary. 1-1

- Subtle fist clench. Screams of delight from my fellow Town fan behind me. Sly wink to the Town fans across the tarp divide.

- The wink - in hindsight this adroit act of kinship towards my fellow Fishies may have been misconstrued as a forward gesture of homo-eroticism on my part. Certainly, my frothy-mouthed, Grimsby brethren were not impressed by the wink.

- Enemies to the left of me. Enemies to the right. Here I am, stuck in the middle with Sue

- Sue spins in her seat. Part Exorcist, part Jack Lester. ‘Geerrrrr ahead and t’clap if thou wantest duh. God giveth life, God giveth it awayyy, not yuhhh. I fink yer are the devil ifthself’

- I pretend I’m French. It doesn’t work. I pretend I’m German. It doesn’t work. I show her a photo of my Bradford Council tax bill.

- Sue’s now confused. Conflicted. She’s still trying to understand what I am - who I am - when Smith bundles home Town’s second.

- The Andy Cook song starts up from the Town fans. Sue moans that, “t’its dissgusssting. They be kids around”. Exactly Sue, there are kids around. That’s why we are warning them about him.  

- Half-time. Town 2-1 up. The cold. I didn’t feel it before. Has Sue drugged me? I can’t feel my fingers - it’s April.

- I look at McAtee

-  If possession is nine tenths of the law, McAtee would be arrested. As McAtee thinks about this…and sharing a flat for the next 6 months with Bim Pepple in some sort of shït ITV sitcom…he takes a slightly crude block to the visage by Stubbs.

- McAtee is now the angriest man in the ground, on the assumption that Sue identifies as a woman.

- Glennon and the linesman flirt over some odd throw-in calls in our favour. Glennon has a fine thatch - does he condition?

- McAtee, still in a funk, uses Glennon by not using him, and passes infield to a shirt-split Smallwood. Then blames Glennon for his own inadequacies. Bratford almost equalise.

- 2-2

- McAtee has now gone 20 mins without finding a teammate, holding up the ball or anything. But it’s Lloyd’s fault according to McAtee.

- Cook. 3-2! Instead of celebrating with his teammates, Smallwood repeatedly cups his ears to the Town fans like a nonce in a nonce-off.

UTM

Post of the week for me 👏👏👏

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 66
RichMariner
April 2, 2023, 1:33am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
We'd played three games since Bradford last played.

That second half was very poor, felt it naive to come out and sit on a 2-1 lead that we'd scraped in the first half. Wrong message from the off, couldn't then get going once they'd equalised BUT our recent schedule and heavy March considered, it was understandable that we looked shot.

Bradford hit a lot of early crosses and diagonal balls into our box, which Smith and Maher struggled to read. Thought our full backs struggled and didn't know whether to close down or sit back.

Smith's goal actually looks like an own goal off their no. 5?

We really missed Waterfall. The data analyst in the club will know this but Cook is the striker who wins most aerial duels in L2. I think I read somewhere that Waterfall is the defender who wins most aerial duels in L2.

I'm all for seeing front men track back and defend but pool George Lloyd seemed to spend a lot of time in the right back position.

It's not all doom and gloom — we competed and forced Bradford to panic a bit, until they equalised. We looked good for 20 minutes, just not at it for the other 70. Think we had one solitary shot in the second half.

Got a bit of a break now until Hartlepool on Friday (who got a morale-boosting late win v Swindon). They'll be up for the fight, especially when they see we've only won four at home all season.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 41 - 66
GYinScuntland
April 2, 2023, 1:37am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97

-  An enemy created.

- Sue suspicious.

- I look at McAtee

- 2-2

UTM

Has Sue got a sister?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 66
HerveJosse
April 2, 2023, 8:44am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from GYinScuntland

Has Sue got a sister?

Rita
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 66
moosey_club
April 2, 2023, 9:07am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,268
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from HerveJosse

Rita

😂

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 66
The Caterham Mariner
April 2, 2023, 9:10am
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +91
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Spurn boy

It’s been a long season for all the players following on from a successful play off , I think today was the 51st game that Crocombe has played this season and some of the other players have played more games than they would have expected to play so although we all feel a bit peeved about today I think we have had a remarkable season and everyone is ready for a well earned break.

Yes indeed all due a good break  and to shake off the famous "Crocombe Cramp" ready for next season .....UTM.

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 66
LondonMariner43
April 2, 2023, 9:33am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,955
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from TAGG

One of the most stupid posts I’ve read all season

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 66
The Caterham Mariner
April 2, 2023, 9:34am
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from GYinScuntland

Has Sue got a sister?

Yes did'nt she go to "The Bags Ball" at The Wintergardens...

In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 66
forza ivano
April 2, 2023, 10:00am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,208
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from TAGG

Hes played 80 odd games without a proper break  hes got to be mentally knackered, that's why the mistakes are happening.
I just wish people would think about how much football, and how much travelling these players have done. Clifton, efete, waterfall,smith, crocombe and holohan all need a rest. I think between them they've played 400-450 games  in the last 18 months.!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 66
HertsGTFC
April 2, 2023, 10:16am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

Hes played 80 odd games without a proper break  hes got to be mentally knackered, that's why the mistakes are happening.
I just wish people would think about how much football, and how much travelling these players have done. Clifton, efete, waterfall,smith, crocombe and holohan all need a rest. I think between them they've played 400-450 games  in the last 18 months.!!

Agree completely, but with Max it feels a bit like Macca in that there is no experienced keeper pushing for the shirt so he’s pretty much guaranteed to be selected. At this level he’s a decent keeper, personally I’d prefer it if he wasn’t aspiring to be a keeper sweeper but that’s the modern way I guess.

Incidentally once we’re “finally” mathematically safe I’d like to see Ollie Battersby and Evan Khouri given a couple of starts just to give them a little bit of experience.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 66
arryarryarry
April 2, 2023, 1:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Just read a report in the Bradford local paper, suggesting Town fans were making vile chants at Andy Cook?
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 66
ginnywings
April 2, 2023, 4:17pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
I find it funny that people always have to apportion blame when we lose. We didn't make the right substitutions early enough, or PH was guilty of trying to hang on to what we had in the second half, which seems to be a recurring theme.

Maybe, just maybe, Bradford are a better team who got their act together at half time and pinned us back in our own half?

There's no shame in losing to a better side on their own patch, and we did well to make such a game of it, despite the fatigue and the fact we were missing half of our regular defence. Cook didn't get a sniff at BP when we had Waterfall and Efete in the team.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 66
The Caterham Mariner
April 2, 2023, 4:43pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Post of the week for me 👏👏👏

Post of the week ..Yes me too 🤣🤣
Does Sue  have a website / OnlyFans ??
UTM
The Day I Start taking Footie to Seriously is the Day I hang up my Town Scarf ..UTM.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 66
DB
April 2, 2023, 5:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,027
Gold Stars: 388
Quoted from ginnywings
I find it funny that people always have to apportion blame when we lose. We didn't make the right substitutions early enough, or PH was guilty of trying to hang on to what we had in the second half, which seems to be a recurring theme.

Maybe, just maybe, Bradford are a better team who got their act together at half time and pinned us back in our own half?

There's no shame in losing to a better side on their own patch, and we did well to make such a game of it, despite the fatigue and the fact we were missing half of our regular defence. Cook didn't get a sniff at BP when we had Waterfall and Efete in the team.

I'm not certain but I believe he was subbed.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 66
ginnywings
April 2, 2023, 6:10pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from DB

I'm not certain but I believe he was subbed.

Eh?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 66
rancido
April 2, 2023, 6:13pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Agree completely, but with Max it feels a bit like Macca in that there is no experienced keeper pushing for the shirt so he’s pretty much guaranteed to be selected. At this level he’s a decent keeper, personally I’d prefer it if he wasn’t aspiring to be a keeper sweeper but that’s the modern way I guess.

Incidentally once we’re “finally” mathematically safe I’d like to see Ollie Battersby and Evan Khouri given a couple of starts just to give them a little bit of experience.

Crocombe has shown a slip in form but some seem to forget that Macca was never a top half League 2 keeper. Max , with the right coaching and confidence, is quite capable of being a lower half League 1 keeper, something Macca could never achieve. It's all down to opinions, obviously, but that is mine.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 66
DB
April 2, 2023, 6:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,027
Gold Stars: 388
Quoted from ginnywings

Eh?

Cook was subbed in the 83 min of the home game against Bradford.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 66
Heisenberg
April 2, 2023, 6:30pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,074
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Completely agree about Battersby and Khouri, they deserve their chance. If they prove themselves that’s two less signings Hurst needs to make in the summer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 66
marinerjase
April 2, 2023, 6:36pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,656
Gold Stars: 147
Well I feel after a slow start we got on top in first half with Green dominating midfield battle. For whatever reason came out second half intent on game management/slowing game down from the off. Negative mindset. Bradford got on top, you could sense what was going to happen, and they may indeed be better and deserved result - but part of me thinks we brought it on ourselves.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 66
Son of Cod
April 2, 2023, 7:11pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from arryarryarry
Just read a report in the Bradford local paper, suggesting Town fans were making vile chants at Andy Cook?

Fair enough comment. Getting called a sex offender when you're not isn't really on. Same has been done to Ryan Reynolds and Harry Pell in the last year. Are we just making things up about people we don't like now?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 66
arryarryarry
April 2, 2023, 7:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Son of Cod

Fair enough comment. Getting called a sex offender when you're not isn't really on. Same has been done to Ryan Reynolds and Harry Pell in the last year. Are we just making things up about people we don't like now?

Can't understand Town fans or any other fans giving ex players stick, may make them even more determined to score.

I always thought Cook was a really good player and he has gone on to prove that.

Maybe the odd player returning may get stick but singing vile songs at Cook was mindless.
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 66
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 2, 2023, 8:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from arryarryarry

Can't understand Town fans or any other fans giving ex players stick, may make them even more determined to score.

I always thought Cook was a really good player and he has gone on to prove that.

Maybe the odd player returning may get stick but singing vile songs at Cook was mindless.

Couldn’t agree more and will never forget his outstanding performance against Huddersfield in the Cup only to be left out the following week. Think he was probably a young lad away from home and probably wasn’t the committed professional at that time but he always scored goals and was disappointed when we let him go.

The vast majority of players move on and we as fans should just support those currently on our books and save our abusive songs for people like Fatty Evan’s!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 66
HertsGTFC
April 2, 2023, 8:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Crocombe has shown a slip in form but some seem to forget that Macca was never a top half League 2 keeper. Max , with the right coaching and confidence, is quite capable of being a lower half League 1 keeper, something Macca could never achieve. It's all down to opinions, obviously, but that is mine.

I wasn’t making a comparison as Max is clearly better than Macca. My point was that once again we have a keeper who can expect to start each week as there’s nobody credible behind him. I guess this is we’re not having a reserve league doesn’t help.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 66
HertsGTFC
April 2, 2023, 8:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Couldn’t agree more and will never forget his outstanding performance against Huddersfield in the Cup only to be left out the following week. Think he was probably a young lad away from home and probably wasn’t the committed professional at that time but he always scored goals and was disappointed when we let him go.

The vast majority of players move on and we as fans should just support those currently on our books and save our abusive songs for people like Fatty Evan’s!!

I think Cooke cops for it because of his bigging it up with Bishop after that late Mansfield win at BP a few years ago, prior to that I’m not sure any stick was deserved.

Pell for his antics and social media comments when he was at Cheltenham as well as the fact he’s a complete cheating 🔔🔚

Palmer gets stick and the only reason I can think why is that he didn’t want to stay after his loan was up, he did ok for us TBH.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 66
HerveJosse
April 2, 2023, 8:52pm
Champagne Drinker
Comparing Taylor with Cook
Cook age 32 Taylor age 34
Both played just over 500 career games
Taylor 76 goals Cook 198.
Cook appears to have been released by virtually every club he has played for (including ourselves)
Cooks goal scoring record has improved with age , Taylor the opposite.
I know which I would rather have
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 66
Maringer
April 2, 2023, 11:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,560
Gold Stars: 185
I suspect that, if Taylor had played most of his career at the same level as Cook, he might well have notched a few more goals than his record shows. He's played in a higher division for most of his career.

Not that this makes Cook a lesser player. Just not one who is not similar to Taylor either in style of play or what he offers to the team.

Not sure if we'll try to retain Taylor next season. I'd be happy enough to see him stay as am option off the bench, but don't think I'd want to be planning the season with him as a starter.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 66
diehardmariner
April 3, 2023, 10:10am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,634
Gold Stars: 539
Cook probably needed that disappointing second season with us to almost kickstart his career.  Perhaps it served as a reminder that he needed to do more than just turn up.

As good as he was for us in his first season and as good as he's proved since leaving, he was overweight and largely uninterested in that second season.  Now there's many reasons that will have contributed to that and I include the club putting a incredibly homesick and naive young lad up in a flat above a pub as one of those, but the best thing he ever did for his career was leave here and go back to Barrow.

Ever since he's left, we've struggled to find a player like him though.  Someone who has a little bit of everything to their game.  Physical, relatively mobile, can hold up/bring others into play but can also put the ball away too.  

The performance was excrement, we look dead on our feet and I understand that.  But as poor as it was, but for switching off in defence we would have taken 3 points from a side hoping to get promotion this season.  That shows that we're not far off at all.  But we badly lack that Cook type player.  Lloyd is a fine forward and I really hope we hold onto him beyond his loan spell, but we've got to get someone in who takes that physical burden but offers a bit more than that.

I like Taylor but he's static.  We got away with that in the Conference and a few games this season, but it requires everyone around him to be on their game and to do that extra level of running to go beyond him and then get back into their positions.  The approach is limiting and you can see quite easily why we're not too difficult to nullify for large periods.  

Lots of talk about Umereh in the summer, very keen to see him on Friday and how he fares.
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 66
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.