ska face
April 1, 2023, 6:58pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from Hagrid
Our timewasting riled the crowd and got them back to supporting their team.

This is a good point. Stupid thing to do winding their fans up as, until that point, we might as well have played on the moon for all the atmosphere there was. Fair enough if you’re 1 up with 5 mins left, but time wasting from about 50 mins in gives the impression that you’re clinging on, doesn’t really inspire much confidence in the idea that you want to go out there and actually win the game.

Hurst said it after Crawley - a team full of winners wins that game comfortably. We have a team full of nice guys.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 66
Northbank Mariner
April 1, 2023, 6:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,472
Gold Stars: 171
Can I just say for all those red crossing those that have had a pop at Taylor, look at Cook today, he's everything Taylor is with the ability to score, what a proper target man is in the team for. Taylors race as pro footballer in the EFL is run, apart from the very odd knock on he offers and contributes very little now. Fantastic last season, but this is a season too far for him I'm afraid.
As for today, after 55 minutes we were dead and they knew it, there 12 had Glennon on toast and Cook won everything against Smith, they ran the channels, passed us off the park and Hurst, again, waited far, far too long to make any changes....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 66
pontoonlew
April 1, 2023, 7:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,041
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from MuddyWaters

When it comes to Tayls, people see what they want to see. Without him, particularly at Wrexham, we’d still be non league.

When it comes to Taylor, fans are unable to see what’s in front of their eyes, nobody can watch that game today and tell me he was anything other than dreadful. But because it’s Taylor, people leap to his defence no matter how he played.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 66
Grantley
April 1, 2023, 7:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Crocombe at fault for all 3 goals today.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 66
lukeo
April 1, 2023, 7:36pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Quoted from HertsGTFC

You got some stick on Twitter because you said Taylor has not been putting the effort in.

One thing I am 100% sure of if he wasn’t putting in the effort Hurst wouldn’t have him anywhere near the squad.

Always frustrating when you lose after being ahead especially after fading so badly but they’ve spent and pay big so have better players than us, it’s as simple as that.

I'm sticking by what I said, I didn't feel he put enough effort in, whether that's down to still not being 100% fit only he knows , but if that's the case he shouldn't be chucked back in yet.
Maybe I was slightly critical but I very really get angry watching town. But watching his performance mid week I was fuming. Maybe I was over analysing it too much but a few times he definitely didn't put enough effort in whether it was jumping for a header, moving off the ball or closing down etc.
Anyway, that's what a forum is for. Debating and opinions. I appreciate and accept everyone's who disagree with me and like I said on twitter I loved Taylor last season. Especially that goal v Wrexham.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 66
Rodley Mariner
April 1, 2023, 7:40pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Quoted from pontoonlew

When it comes to Taylor, fans are unable to see what’s in front of their eyes, nobody can watch that game today and tell me he was anything other than dreadful. But because it’s Taylor, people leap to his defence no matter how he played.

You have your narrative set and you look for every shred of evidence to support it with no nuance or balance. So Taylor is dreadful and McAtee can't put a foot wrong when clearly the truth is somewhere in the middle for 2 League 2 footballers. Similarly I see plenty on Twitter who have decided McAtee isn't interested and totally ignore the plentiful evidence that's not at all true.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 66
pontoonlew
April 1, 2023, 7:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,041
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

You have your narrative set and you look for every shred of evidence to support it with no nuance or balance. So Taylor is dreadful and McAtee can't put a foot wrong when clearly the truth is somewhere in the middle for 2 League 2 footballers. Similarly I see plenty on Twitter who have decided McAtee isn't interested and totally ignore the plentiful evidence that's not at all true.

I’ve already said McAtee was dreadful today btw
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 66
IlkleyMariner
April 1, 2023, 7:48pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
Usual over reaction from fishy folk when we lose

Was a very entertaining game. At half time Bradford we’re out of it. Manager Hughes got behind his team and his much better more highly paid squad who are in the playoffs won.

Surprise surprise.

Get real fishy folk.

Red x at your wish. Then get real again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 66
fishcake63
April 1, 2023, 7:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
Quoted from Grantley
Crocombe at fault for all 3 goals today.

Disagree but all about opinions , 1st goal for sure other two just terrible defending
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 66
acko338
April 1, 2023, 7:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,223
Gold Stars: 33
We need a new Livingstone type striker who can hold their own against the many big physical centre halves in this Division.

Goals not hugely important, as in 20 goals a season, happy with someone who can score up to 10, but can assist others to spread the load and have more than just a Plan A.

The huge problem throughout the team currently is precise passing, preferably to one of our own.

So many times passes are underhit, putting receivers in immediate trouble. Smith and Glennon were both caught like this today, and either make hasty hoof ball or give the ball to opponents around the halfway line.

This makes for pressure constantly coming back to the defence. Waterfall was sadly missed for clearance headers and organising positioning today, and Cook would have known he was in a game.

I do occasionally wonder if Paul Hurst doesn't like having players who are a lot taller than him???

I would like to see Khouri get some game time now so that his potential can be assessed ready for next season.

Harry Clifton, George Lloyd and John McAfee are running around to compensate for others, and this then takes away their quality, when support is not close enough, making them run rather than have chances to pass to team mates.

Efete and Emmanuel play and interchange well as a pair  but not as good if the other isn't playing.

Taylor sadly isn't at the same level as before his injury, and his age is now against him.

The left back position looks to be a problem when either encumbent is faced with someone with genuine pace.

With many of the above, can this be put down to a shorter pre season and the amount of cup and re-arranged fixtures alongside some wicked long distance away trips over the last month or so?

Another 5 points or so to ensure safety, then look to next season, and a full fresh start.

There may be some harsh and unpopular decisions made at season end, but this season was a bonus after those amazing play off games.

One season back up, and the level has been an eye opener in some games - Swindon being the main one of where we are lacking in some areas.

Let's hope for a more competitive edge next year !!

But..... the fans...... absolutely wonderful all season, just keep expectations realistic !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.