arryarryarry
April 2, 2023, 7:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Son of Cod

Fair enough comment. Getting called a sex offender when you're not isn't really on. Same has been done to Ryan Reynolds and Harry Pell in the last year. Are we just making things up about people we don't like now?

Can't understand Town fans or any other fans giving ex players stick, may make them even more determined to score.

I always thought Cook was a really good player and he has gone on to prove that.

Maybe the odd player returning may get stick but singing vile songs at Cook was mindless.
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 66
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 2, 2023, 8:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from arryarryarry

Can't understand Town fans or any other fans giving ex players stick, may make them even more determined to score.

I always thought Cook was a really good player and he has gone on to prove that.

Maybe the odd player returning may get stick but singing vile songs at Cook was mindless.

Couldn’t agree more and will never forget his outstanding performance against Huddersfield in the Cup only to be left out the following week. Think he was probably a young lad away from home and probably wasn’t the committed professional at that time but he always scored goals and was disappointed when we let him go.

The vast majority of players move on and we as fans should just support those currently on our books and save our abusive songs for people like Fatty Evan’s!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 66
HertsGTFC
April 2, 2023, 8:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,953
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from rancido

Crocombe has shown a slip in form but some seem to forget that Macca was never a top half League 2 keeper. Max , with the right coaching and confidence, is quite capable of being a lower half League 1 keeper, something Macca could never achieve. It's all down to opinions, obviously, but that is mine.

I wasn’t making a comparison as Max is clearly better than Macca. My point was that once again we have a keeper who can expect to start each week as there’s nobody credible behind him. I guess this is we’re not having a reserve league doesn’t help.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 66
HertsGTFC
April 2, 2023, 8:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,953
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Couldn’t agree more and will never forget his outstanding performance against Huddersfield in the Cup only to be left out the following week. Think he was probably a young lad away from home and probably wasn’t the committed professional at that time but he always scored goals and was disappointed when we let him go.

The vast majority of players move on and we as fans should just support those currently on our books and save our abusive songs for people like Fatty Evan’s!!

I think Cooke cops for it because of his bigging it up with Bishop after that late Mansfield win at BP a few years ago, prior to that I’m not sure any stick was deserved.

Pell for his antics and social media comments when he was at Cheltenham as well as the fact he’s a complete cheating 🔔🔚

Palmer gets stick and the only reason I can think why is that he didn’t want to stay after his loan was up, he did ok for us TBH.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 66
HerveJosse
April 2, 2023, 8:52pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Comparing Taylor with Cook
Cook age 32 Taylor age 34
Both played just over 500 career games
Taylor 76 goals Cook 198.
Cook appears to have been released by virtually every club he has played for (including ourselves)
Cooks goal scoring record has improved with age , Taylor the opposite.
I know which I would rather have
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 66
Maringer
April 2, 2023, 11:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,542
Gold Stars: 185
I suspect that, if Taylor had played most of his career at the same level as Cook, he might well have notched a few more goals than his record shows. He's played in a higher division for most of his career.

Not that this makes Cook a lesser player. Just not one who is not similar to Taylor either in style of play or what he offers to the team.

Not sure if we'll try to retain Taylor next season. I'd be happy enough to see him stay as am option off the bench, but don't think I'd want to be planning the season with him as a starter.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 66
diehardmariner
April 3, 2023, 10:10am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Cook probably needed that disappointing second season with us to almost kickstart his career.  Perhaps it served as a reminder that he needed to do more than just turn up.

As good as he was for us in his first season and as good as he's proved since leaving, he was overweight and largely uninterested in that second season.  Now there's many reasons that will have contributed to that and I include the club putting a incredibly homesick and naive young lad up in a flat above a pub as one of those, but the best thing he ever did for his career was leave here and go back to Barrow.

Ever since he's left, we've struggled to find a player like him though.  Someone who has a little bit of everything to their game.  Physical, relatively mobile, can hold up/bring others into play but can also put the ball away too.  

The performance was excrement, we look dead on our feet and I understand that.  But as poor as it was, but for switching off in defence we would have taken 3 points from a side hoping to get promotion this season.  That shows that we're not far off at all.  But we badly lack that Cook type player.  Lloyd is a fine forward and I really hope we hold onto him beyond his loan spell, but we've got to get someone in who takes that physical burden but offers a bit more than that.

I like Taylor but he's static.  We got away with that in the Conference and a few games this season, but it requires everyone around him to be on their game and to do that extra level of running to go beyond him and then get back into their positions.  The approach is limiting and you can see quite easily why we're not too difficult to nullify for large periods.  

Lots of talk about Umereh in the summer, very keen to see him on Friday and how he fares.
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.