9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
March 29, 2023, 12:32am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Tonight’s match was clearly very frustrating.

The football was sublime at times and you can’t fault the effort of the players. After a match like that, it’s understandable that the clamour for a striker or fox-in-the-box intensifies.

However, a fox in the box is only worthwhile off the bench (Orsi, Hannah etc). No successful, modern teams play with a one dimensional goal poacher.

In terms of a CF, it’s clear we can’t rely on Taylor next season (fitness, age, mobility). I’ve seen enough in Lloyd to be very interested in a permanent deal if possible. Although, nothing in Lloyd’s career to date suggests he’s going to be prolific.

That’s fine though.

The goals have to come from the whole team. The majority of the squad have chipped in and Clifton and Holohan could still reach double figures, which is a good effort.

Where we need to improve is the output from the other attacking positions.

Which brings me to McAtee.

Some say he’s the most talented player we’ve had in years. Some say he’s careless, sloppy, greedy and inconsistent.

I can see both sides but I do agree with many on here that there have been few other Town players who have been able to get the crowd off their seat in the same way as McAtee over the past twenty, fenty years.

But… and i don’t want this to be another McAtee knocking thread; his output in terms of goals and assists has been disappointing this season. McAtee is also - still, after almost 70 matches in L2 - unproven at this level, never mind the Championship.

Now there are reasons for that.

McAtee won’t be 24 until the summer. Audacious. Capable of absolute brilliance and played a huge role in our promotion. He’s also had an injury disrupted season, played several matches further forward than preferred and hasn’t always had great service.  Also, a large chunk of his L2 career was spent in a poor Scunny side.

I understand that.

But his decision making is often suspect and the number of times he doesn’t take the simple option and play in a teammate. 4 goals and 4 assists in 20 league appearances. It’s not amazing. It’s a lot easier to play as a wide or withdrawn forward than it is to play as a number 9. It’s similar to cricket, where it’s easier to score runs at coming into bat at 3 or the middle order, rather than as an opener. McAtee has proved that by struggling when he has played as the furthest forward.

So where does that leave us?

We’re not going to be signing the likes of Langstaff. I’m not expecting us to throw loads of money at a problem that we probably can’t fix with one expensive CF, even if we could identify and sign them.

My monthly scan of the scoring charts throws up the same names. Andy Cook’s scored half of Bradford’s goals this season. Dennis - been there before. Hoskins seems to have been stuck on 20 goals since September and, although more of a McAtee replacement, I doubt we could sign him (unless Northampton replace him if they are promoted).

Then it’s Johnson (13), Wootton (12)…then former flames of the Fishy in Armstrong (12), Miller (11), Umerah (11), Madden (10), Telford (9), Deadpool Waters (9)…Bogle (9). None of those figures are amazing. I mean, clearly far more productive than what we currently have, but the Fishy would still moan if our main striker was only just reaching double figures.

So, in summary, I’d be relatively happy with Lloyd, Taylor, Orsi, a younger, more mobile version of Taylor and a young loanee (by the law of averages, we might find success on this front for once).

Admittedly, those players are unlikely to trouble the top of the scoring charts. But that doesn’t matter.

What we really need are two goal bothering, deeper / wider forward players to replace McAtee (who will be gone anyway) and Khan. Whilst Khan has been decent at times, he hasn’t matched Clifton’s attacking output and certainly can’t provide Harry’s work rate or defensive attributes.

They’re the positions we have more chance of strengthening in.

Logged Online
Private Message
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
March 29, 2023, 12:44am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Hmmm…why can’t I red cross my own post.

I’ve just read it back. That’s long-winded drivel, even for me.

Night.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 85
ginnywings
March 29, 2023, 1:09am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,145
Gold Stars: 548
You don't necessarily need someone who scores loads of goals, but someone who scores important goals: the ones that turn a losing position into a draw or a drawing position into a win.

Some strikers are prolific, but a lot of the goals they score are just icing on the cake. Winning 4-0 and your striker scoring a hat trick brings no more points than winning 2-1 and he gets the vital second goal. That is what we are missing.

If we had a forward who had chipped in with a dozen goals this season, we would probably have 10 or 12 more points and be in and around the play offs.

The amount of games we have drawn, especially at home, is frustrating. I can think of at least half a dozen games we really should have won at BP this season, but we spurned good chances to do so.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 85
GtfcGarner
March 29, 2023, 5:55am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,786
Gold Stars: 26
Josh Umerah from Hartlepool would be my pick if they go down be able to get him cheaper. Big strong unit with running power and can finish, Poolies have said he’s probably single handedly give them a fighting chance of staying up this year but fought nail and tooth to keep him from a January move so I doubt we would be the only interested party.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 85
ska face
March 29, 2023, 6:43am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
I’m not fussed about finding a name anymore. Lloyd has shown there’s plenty of quality sitting around on benches at L1 level and elsewhere, would he have scored 15-20 in a settled team over a full season? Maybe. There’ll be others capable.

Needs to happen though - you’ll not go up clinging onto 1-goal leads all year.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 85
It Bites
March 29, 2023, 7:12am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,216
Gold Stars: 265

The football was sublime at times and you can’t fault the effort of the players. After a match like that, it’s understandable that the clamour for a striker or fox-in-the-box intensifies.

However, a fox in the box is only worthwhile off the bench (Orsi, Hannah etc). No successful, modern teams play with a one dimensional goal poacher.

In terms of a CF, it’s clear we can’t rely on Taylor next season (fitness, age, mobility). I’ve seen enough in Lloyd to be very interested in a permanent deal if possible. Although, nothing in Lloyd’s career to date suggests he’s going to be prolific.

That’s fine though.

The goals have to come from the whole team. The majority of the squad have chipped in and Clifton and Holohan could still reach double figures, which is a good effort.

Some say he’s the most talented player we’ve had in years. Some say he’s careless, sloppy, greedy and inconsistent.

I can see both sides but I do agree with many on here that there have been few other Town players who have been able to get the crowd off their seat in the same way as McAtee over the past twenty, fenty years.

But… and i don’t want this to be another McAtee knocking thread; his output in terms of goals and assists has been disappointing this season. McAtee is also - still, after almost 70 matches in L2 - unproven at this level, never mind the Championship.

McAtee won’t be 24 until the summer. Audacious. Capable of absolute brilliance and played a huge role in our promotion. He’s also had an injury disrupted season, played several matches further forward than preferred and hasn’t always had great service.  Also, a large chunk of his L2 career was spent in a poor Scunny side.

I understand that.

But his decision making is often suspect and the number of times he doesn’t take the simple option and play in a teammate. 4 goals and 4 assists in 20 league appearances. It’s not amazing. It’s a lot easier to play as a wide or withdrawn forward than it is to play as a number 9. It’s similar to cricket, where it’s easier to score runs at coming into bat at 3 or the middle order, rather than as an opener. McAtee has proved that by struggling when he has played as the furthest forward.

We’re not going to be signing the likes of Langstaff. I’m not expecting us to throw loads of money at a problem that we probably can’t fix with one expensive CF, even if we could identify and sign them.

My monthly scan of the scoring charts throws up the same names. Andy Cook’s scored half of Bradford’s goals this season. Dennis - been there before. Hoskins seems to have been stuck on 20 goals since September and, although more of a McAtee replacement, I doubt we could sign him (unless Northampton replace him if they are promoted).

Then it’s Johnson (13), Wootton (12)…then former flames of the Fishy in Armstrong (12), Miller (11), Umerah (11), Madden (10), Telford (9), Deadpool Waters (9)…Bogle (9). None of those figures are amazing. I mean, clearly far more productive than what we currently have, but the Fishy would still moan if our main striker was only just reaching double figures.

So, in summary, I’d be relatively happy with Lloyd, Taylor, Orsi, a younger, more mobile version of Taylor and a young loanee (by the law of averages, we might find success on this front for once).

Admittedly, those players are unlikely to trouble the top of the scoring charts. But that doesn’t matter.

What we really need are two goal bothering, deeper / wider forward players to replace McAtee (who will be gone anyway) and Khan. Whilst Khan has been decent at times, he hasn’t matched Clifton’s attacking output and certainly can’t provide Harry’s work rate or defensive attributes.

You're absolutely spot on . Goals need to come from all over the pitch and a lot of our finishing this season has been rushed and hopeful at best .
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 85
jimgtfc
March 29, 2023, 7:23am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,091
Gold Stars: 45
Would like to see us go for Josh Umerah from Hartlepool if they go down, big target man type, quick, good link up play and seems to have scored goals in struggling sides for the past couple of seasons. I’d also love us to go after George Lloyd permanently. He’s an absolute pain in the arrse for defenders with his work rate and tenacity, also looks like he’s got some real quality to go with it. Personally despite being under contract and both demanding a fee I think these are two realistic options and would give us some real firepower next season.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 85
Mappers
March 29, 2023, 7:27am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,334
Gold Stars: 118
Realistically we arent going to get a ready made prolific striker .
I suspect now with the new recruitment guy in place we will be looking at youngsters with a view to having that option in a few years time .

We might have a big one in a few years time as this lad (which has gone under the radar ) who was at Scunny has a record of 200 goals in 50 games at youth level ,signed on for 2 years but is only 16 -hopefully he can progress and go right through .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 85
HerveJosse
March 29, 2023, 8:04am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144

That’s fine though.

I understand that.

That’s an awful lot of words analysing a player who is leaving in a month.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 85
Stew0_0
March 29, 2023, 8:14am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 35
Realistically I would like to see us scour the non leagues for the next Bogle. Someone young and on the rise who would benefit from the coaching and full time training. Like county did with Langstaff.
Umerah will end up in league one am sure and wouldn't be surprised if Lloyd ended up higher up and nearer home also.

I do agree with the sentiment of signing winners and goalscoring midfield players. Unfortunately the likes of Morris, Scannell, Hunt, Gallagher, O'Neill etc do not come under this umbrella so we need better next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 85
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Striker search - part 7/10

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.