Users Browsing Forum
Baidu Spider and 129 Guests

Striker search - part 7/10

This thread currently has 7,466 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
March 29, 2023, 12:52pm
Guest User
Quoted from Madeleymariner
The striker situation for next season worries me, I dont feel we have a single striker in the squad currently worth keeping other than Lloyd. Mcatee the best of the rest but neither of them belong to us. I really hope we can find a way to get Lloyd signed up. We really need a big strong reasonably quick No. 9 that can still get onto a through ball as well as winning headers and holding it up.   Umerah/Armstrong is typical example.

Agree that Lloyd is the only forward I'd be keen on us 'keeping' (i.e. getting).

It's a problem for all teams in this league though.
Half-decent strikers who score a few in L2 get given a chance at a higher level - sooner rather than later.

If we're looking for goals from someone in our No.9 shirt...

(Quote from player's Wiki page):
According to his Solihull Moors team-mate Darren Byfield, speaking in 2014, "he can dribble, hold the ball up, scores headers, scores with his right foot, scores with his left foot. He's got it all."

...I very much doubt we could do better than Omar Bogle. (I realize this may upset a few on here, but that's my call.)

Of course we'd need to bung Newport a decent wedge of cash, the player would need to be willing, and Hurst would need to
be confident he can get Bogle motivated. But if those 'ifs' could be overcome I would fancy our promotion chances.

Reply: 30 - 85
marinerjase
March 29, 2023, 1:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,655
Gold Stars: 147
Bogle..again…really??

Think there’s far more options available than someone going through the motions.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 85
diehardmariner
March 29, 2023, 2:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from 137

...I very much doubt we could do better than Omar Bogle. (I realize this may upset a few on here, but that's my call.)

If we can't do better than a guy who's managed 33 goals in 7 years since leaving us, we might as well give up.

Private Message
Reply: 32 - 85
HertsGTFC
March 29, 2023, 2:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,953
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from 137

Agree that Lloyd is the only forward I'd be keen on us 'keeping' (i.e. getting).

It's a problem for all teams in this league though.
Half-decent strikers who score a few in L2 get given a chance at a higher level - sooner rather than later.

If we're looking for goals from someone in our No.9 shirt...

(Quote from player's Wiki page):
According to his Solihull Moors team-mate Darren Byfield, speaking in 2014, "he can dribble, hold the ball up, scores headers, scores with his right foot, scores with his left foot. He's got it all."

Of course we'd need to bung Newport a decent wedge of cash, the player would need to be willing, and Hurst would need to
be confident he can get Bogle motivated. But if those 'ifs' could be overcome I would fancy our promotion chances.

Bogle?

Other than the default position of many Town supporters in that "he's played for us before so it must be right" there is no reason on earth way I could see us wanting to bring him back.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 85
HerveJosse
March 29, 2023, 2:38pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from Mariner93er
Interestingly, only one of the top ten goal scorers plays for a team currently in the automatic promotion slots. Goes to show the importance of having multiple goal scorers rather than being too dependent on one.

Our second top scorer is 75th in the list of League 2 goal scorers this season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 85
Mariner93er
March 29, 2023, 3:10pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,740
Gold Stars: 28
McAtee is the one player in our squad who is capable of the sublime and can change a game with a single moment of quality. The problem is, even for a player of his quality, those moments are rare. For every one of these moments, a player like Clifton will have had far more output through versatility and work rate. And the problem with McAtee at the minute is that's he's constantly trying to do the sublime rather than keep things simple, so he's not actually offering that much. It might be controversial, but I'd argue Kiernan had a bigger impact on our season despite having a fraction of McAtee's ability.

The other issue I think is that you essentially have to mould the team around him. He's not versatile like our other forward players and is only ever effective playing off Taylor. Yet if you choose to mould the team around he, a bit like we did last season, and he gets injured, you're fooked.

That being said, I'd still take him next season, but I don't think he'd be a shoo-in for the starting lineup.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 85
GollyGTFC
March 29, 2023, 3:21pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,962
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from Mallyner
I have recommended Scotland before and the last lower league striker went on to play for Hibs and Scotland.

I know Annan Athletic are div 2, which is a lower level than us, but I feel Tommy Goss won't be there for long.

Part human part battering ram.  

https://www.facebook.com/spflo.....atu/874417136513567/

Carreer Matches played     146
Goals scored     412 (2.82 per match)
Top goalscorer     Tommy Goss
22 goals this season.

Signings players from the Scottish lower leagues turned out well for Hartlepool this season didn’t it?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 36 - 85
GollyGTFC
March 29, 2023, 3:23pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,962
Gold Stars: 356
Here’s a player I don’t think anyone’s ever suggested…

Omar Bogle?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 37 - 85
RonMariner
March 29, 2023, 3:26pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,719
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Here’s a player I don’t think anyone’s ever suggested…

Omar Bogle?

Not sure, but didn't he used to play for us?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 85
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 29, 2023, 4:01pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,279
Gold Stars: 306
This may be unpopular, and I'm ready for the red crosses....

I think Orsi has shown clearly why Harrogate were prepared to let him go and he's never stayed anywhere for more than a season (or so). He runs around a lot and he's willing but he just doesn't deliver. He's not great at holding the ball up, he hasn't scored many, not great in the air or on the ground. At times he looks lost and just can't get into the game. For me he has looked out of his depth here.

His stats back this up - scored a lot in the National League for Maidenhead but struggled in the league for us and Harrogate.

He seems like a great bloke and I don't doubt his effort and willingness but I just don't think he's good enough at this level, let alone higher.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 85
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Striker search - part 7/10

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.