MuddyWaters
March 30, 2023, 7:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,257
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Some people are playing on words here, we didn't "turn him down" Hurst confirmed in an interview that he didn't fancy the look of him and was never in for him.

He's returned 11 in 34 games this season which in a struggling side I guess is decent and similar to the season he had at Wealdstone, prior to that he wasn't prolific but player learn their trade, so worth a look.

The question is whilst we have (we think) a better budget do we try an recruit players that are scoring in a relegation bound side at the bottom of the 4th division or look to go after players that have delivered at a higher level - personally I reckon we'd need both.

Obviously we’d love a proven striker but we also need a deeper squad in terms of striking options. We’ve had five young strikers in on loan this season and, with the exception of Richardson, they’ve been disappointing. As far as I’m aware, Essel isn’t ready yet so do we look for talent down the leagues, for the next Vardy?

As far as I can remember, he played for Stocksbridge Steel until he was 23 or so. No idea what league that was in but still well down the pyramid.
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 85
forza ivano
March 30, 2023, 8:04am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,206
Gold Stars: 265
I think it far more likely that it will be someone, like lloyd, that weve never heard of. A bit part player, who for some reason or another, hasnt had a fair crack of the whip at his present club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 85
pontoonlew
March 30, 2023, 8:50am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,042
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Some people are playing on words here, we didn't "turn him down" Hurst confirmed in an interview that he didn't fancy the look of him and was never in for him.

He's returned 11 in 34 games this season which in a struggling side I guess is decent and similar to the season he had at Wealdstone, prior to that he wasn't prolific but player learn their trade, so worth a look.

The question is whilst we have (we think) a better budget do we try an recruit players that are scoring in a relegation bound side at the bottom of the 4th division or look to go after players that have delivered at a higher level - personally I reckon we'd need both.

Yes some people are playing on words, Hurst confirmed to Matt Dean we had the opportunity to sign him and chose not to.

I understand sometimes things are missed, but I won’t accept they’re just not out there and not willing to come when you have examples like that.

Umerah is on for 12+ goals for a probably relegated side, I’d snap your hand off for a 12 goal striker right now, that’d probably give you 15+ with us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 85
Jarmo.Is.God
March 30, 2023, 9:08am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
For what it's worth, apparently Charlton are looking at Josh Umerah
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 85
bedders78
March 30, 2023, 10:04am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 12
I could see us ending up with someone like Connor Wilkinson at Walsall, not had a great season this year coming back from injury, but big and mobile with a decent goal scoring record at this level over several seasons.

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 85
ska face
March 30, 2023, 10:11am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Smith at Orient.

Orient don’t want him, came back from loan at Exeter as he was homesick, now at Barnet & scored 7 in 9.

Mentioned him in Jan but obviously a non-starter given he couldn’t play for another football league team. 6’5”, 27y/o, decent record, question is whether he’d leave the south east.
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 85
Heswall Mariner
March 30, 2023, 12:24pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +591
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from ska face
Smith at Orient.

Orient don’t want him, came back from loan at Exeter as he was homesick, now at Barnet & scored 7 in 9.

Mentioned him in Jan but obviously a non-starter given he couldn’t play for another football league team. 6’5”, 27y/o, decent record, question is whether he’d leave the south east.

Non Starter I reckon - if he was homesick at Exeter he'd be positively bed-ridden up here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 85
Maringer
March 30, 2023, 12:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,546
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from Heswall Mariner

Non Starter I reckon - if he was homesick at Exeter he'd be positively bed-ridden up here.

Oh, I don't know. We're about 30 minutes closer to East London in the car than Exeter is. Could make a difference to any decision.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 85
buckstown
March 30, 2023, 12:37pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,179
Gold Stars: 79
Looked at the Peterborough forum recently and they are truly scathing about Tshimanga. Fits with the chesterfield view that he’s never been the same since the injury
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 85
Jarmo.Is.God
March 30, 2023, 1:06pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from buckstown
Looked at the Peterborough forum recently and they are truly scathing about Tshimanga. Fits with the chesterfield view that he’s never been the same since the injury

I would be tempted on him still.
But he's there on loan isn't he? and permanent happens in the summer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 85
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Striker search - part 7/10

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.