Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 85
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 29, 2023, 4:17pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,279
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from immariner
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Agyei

Out of contract in the summer

This season has been his best for goals and he's played in most games - Crewe might make him an offer yet.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 85
MuddyWaters
March 29, 2023, 4:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
This may be unpopular, and I'm ready for the red crosses....

I think Orsi has shown clearly why Harrogate were prepared to let him go and he's never stayed anywhere for more than a season (or so). He runs around a lot and he's willing but he just doesn't deliver. He's not great at holding the ball up, he hasn't scored many, not great in the air or on the ground. At times he looks lost and just can't get into the game. For me he has looked out of his depth here.

His stats back this up - scored a lot in the National League for Maidenhead but struggled in the league for us and Harrogate.

He seems like a great bloke and I don't doubt his effort and willingness but I just don't think he's good enough at this level, let alone higher.

Not unpopular with me at all. He's basically George Lloyd without the ability.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 85
immariner
March 29, 2023, 4:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,413
Gold Stars: 61

This season has been his best for goals and he's played in most games - Crewe might make him an offer yet.

Fully expect rhey will and he'll have options for sure
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 85
March 29, 2023, 5:17pm
Guest User
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Bogle?

Other than the default position of many Town supporters in that "he's played for us before so it must be right" there is no reason on earth way I could see us wanting to bring him back.

Was pretty sure my suggestion would be met with scorn, ridicule, etc. when I posted. I can take it...
I was thinking along the following lines:

Omar scored 32 goals in 68 appearences for us - virtually a goal every other game, on average.
Even if he's half the player that left us, we'll do well to sign a striker with a better than 1 in 4 goal return.

He's got pace, height, and holds the ball up well. We're unlikely to be able to sign a player who ticks all 3 of those boxes imo.

The fact his career has meandered - almost aimlessly - since leaving us is actually part of the reason I made the suggestion.
If he's going to resurrect his career anywhere, I'd say his best chance would be with us - where he has goalscoring memories.
If we could get him playing like the player we sold, he'd be a formidable proposition for the lumbering L2 giants he'd face.

And we're a better club now (i.e. Fentyless) than the one he left...so maybe it could work out for him and us.

Having said all that, I'm probably wasting my breath because I suspect El General would be 'cool' on the idea anyway.
But anyone decent we look at for our No.9 shirt will be on other clubs' radar for sure, and they may well be prepared to slash
the cash to a greater extent than PH has been willing to hitherto.
Reply: 44 - 85
DB
March 29, 2023, 5:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
We've been on about a number 9 for near on 2 1/2 years. Various players have been put forward and a shirt number filled, but not with the right person.

The latest 'NO' was he didn't want to talk to Grimsby! So I sincerely hope Hurst pulls a rabbit out of the hat this summer, and we'll all say who?

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 85
lew chaterleys lover
March 29, 2023, 5:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from DB
We've been on about a number 9 for near on 2 1/2 years. Various players have been put forward and a shirt number filled, but not with the right person.

The latest 'NO' was he didn't want to talk to Grimsby! So I sincerely hope Hurst pulls a rabbit out of the hat this summer, and we'll all say who?

To be fair I think he would have said he didn't want to talk to anyone other than Colchester, or near there for family reasons I believe. I assume you are talking about Hopper?

I think he has only scored once, and that was against us so probably dodged a bullet!
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 85
chaos33
March 29, 2023, 6:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from 137

Was pretty sure my suggestion would be met with scorn, ridicule, etc. when I posted. I can take it...
I was thinking along the following lines:

Omar scored 32 goals in 68 appearences for us - virtually a goal every other game, on average.
Even if he's half the player that left us, we'll do well to sign a striker with a better than 1 in 4 goal return.

He's got pace, height, and holds the ball up well. We're unlikely to be able to sign a player who ticks all 3 of those boxes imo.

The fact his career has meandered - almost aimlessly - since leaving us is actually part of the reason I made the suggestion.
If he's going to resurrect his career anywhere, I'd say his best chance would be with us - where he has goalscoring memories.
If we could get him playing like the player we sold, he'd be a formidable proposition for the lumbering L2 giants he'd face.

And we're a better club now (i.e. Fentyless) than the one he left...so maybe it could work out for him and us.

Having said all that, I'm probably wasting my breath because I suspect El General would be 'cool' on the idea anyway.
But anyone decent we look at for our No.9 shirt will be on other clubs' radar for sure, and they may well be prepared to slash
the cash to a greater extent than PH has been willing to hitherto.

I understand why and how you’ve made that case mate. I think it is credible even though some have just dismissed it.
I think there’s still a concept that hasn’t been fully grasped: Great all-round strikers who tick all the boxes,or even some of the boxes people have identified on here are in short supply. Really short, and everyone wants one.  If they’re good and score goals, and are ‘proven’, they’re scarce assets who aren’t really available.
For me we need to be realistic in this expectation and keep playing the options - academy, young higher level loanees and those who are firing in the NL, or who aren’t clicking elsewhere. Good players who have experience but who are older, like Taylor. We need patience, and a good grasp of reality, because, if we acquire a striker who starts the first part of the season well, and bangs in 10/15 goals by January, and we’ll be hard pushed to keep hold of them, precisely because…they’re in short supply and everybody wants one. This has to temper people’s expectations - the reality of the world we’re in is that the ‘short term’ dominates, and the relative scarcity of ‘goalscorers’ (especially ‘proven’) is one of, if not the, most challenging squad recruitment aspect.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 85
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 29, 2023, 6:56pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,279
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from chaos33

I understand why and how you’ve made that case mate. I think it is credible even though some have just dismissed it.
I think there’s still a concept that hasn’t been fully grasped: Great all-round strikers who tick all the boxes,or even some of the boxes people have identified on here are in short supply. Really short, and everyone wants one.  If they’re good and score goals, and are ‘proven’, they’re scarce assets who aren’t really available.
For me we need to be realistic in this expectation and keep playing the options - academy, young higher level loanees and those who are firing in the NL, or who aren’t clicking elsewhere. Good players who have experience but who are older, like Taylor. We need patience, and a good grasp of reality, because, if we acquire a striker who starts the first part of the season well, and bangs in 10/15 goals by January, and we’ll be hard pushed to keep hold of them, precisely because…they’re in short supply and everybody wants one. This has to temper people’s expectations - the reality of the world we’re in is that the ‘short term’ dominates, and the relative scarcity of ‘goalscorers’ (especially ‘proven’) is one of, if not the, most challenging squad recruitment aspect.

For me, there are 2 things that count against Bogle:

1. His attitude - he made it very clear that he didn't want to play football any more and wanted to concentrate on his music career. Yet here he is 3 (?) years on still playing football and having moved to several clubs, each lower than the last
2. His record is not great in recent years. I could forgive him this while he was at clubs higher up the league but he's at Newport now and is still not pulling up trees.

There is a third, he's said no to us very clearly.

I'd want Hurst to be 100% certain he could get a tune out of him before he came back.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 85
lukeo
March 29, 2023, 7:18pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Hmmm…why can’t I red cross my own post.

I’ve just read it back. That’s long-winded drivel, even for me.

Night.

Lloyd yes.
Taylor and Orsi, not for me if we're looking to progress forward and aim for the play offs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 85
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Striker search - part 7/10

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.