9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner93er
March 29, 2023, 8:20am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,737
Gold Stars: 28
As others have said, we need players from all over the pitch to contribute goals. But our forward line have barely offered any. Even if we added a couple of forwards/wingers who chipped in with 10 goals, that would be enough to convert a lot of our draws.

It's actually quite impressive that we're so high up with so little goal output from any strikers, and highlights that it doesn't take that much to climb up the league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 85
promotion plaice
March 29, 2023, 8:47am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,068
Gold Stars: 198

All I'll say is thank the Lord we've got Harry Clifton.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 85
Mallyner
March 29, 2023, 8:48am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
I have recommended Scotland before and the last lower league striker went on to play for Hibs and Scotland.

I know Annan Athletic are div 2, which is a lower level than us, but I feel Tommy Goss won't be there for long.

Part human part battering ram.  

https://www.facebook.com/spflo.....atu/874417136513567/

Carreer Matches played     146
Goals scored     412 (2.82 per match)
Top goalscorer     Tommy Goss
22 goals this season.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 85
ginnywings
March 29, 2023, 9:06am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
It's a problem for the entire division.

A lot of teams in League 2 struggle to score much more than a goal a game. Even the league leaders have only scored 49 and have drawn their last 4 games.

Top scorers are Salford, and they have just about managed 1.5 per game.

An exciting league it isn't and it wouldn't take much for us to be challenging at the top end. A few more scored, a few less conceded, or a combination of both, would see us much higher, which of course applies to all clubs, but we are not that far off.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 85
Rodley Mariner
March 29, 2023, 9:11am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Three players in the league with more than 13 goals this season and two of them have played for us before.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 85
OddShapedBalls
March 29, 2023, 9:29am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,191
Gold Stars: 39
I think any of those mentioned on 9-11 goals elsewhere would be able to get more than that at town if we play like we have the last few games (big if), but I reckon we need different tools to unlock the various teams across a season more than one prolific striker.

My shopping list would include a forward with genuine pace (Reddy/Cohen style) so we can get in behind teams when needed, and a big physical lump so we can go down the set piece/crosses route if needed, plus get Lloyd in for that irritant livewire role.  The high press is great so anyone who isn't going to do that like the lads last night needs to offer something different to change games IMO.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 85
HertsGTFC
March 29, 2023, 9:30am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,946
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Mallyner
I have recommended Scotland before and the last lower league striker went on to play for Hibs and Scotland.

I know Annan Athletic are div 2, which is a lower level than us, but I feel Tommy Goss won't be there for long.

22 goals this season.

Scottish Div 2 is a lower level than the Scunts will be at next season. You want someone who knows what to do at this level and can do it, that was the issue with O'Neil last night, technically I'm sure he's strong but knowing what to do and when looks like a big learning curve.

It's pointless speculating who we need to go after next season on March 29th, especially when a lot of the speculators generally haven't seen these names play other than against us twice a season.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 85
HertsGTFC
March 29, 2023, 9:30am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,946
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Mallyner

22 goals this season.

Scottish Div 2 is a lower level than the Scunts will be at next season. You want someone who knows what to do at this level and can do it, that was the issue with O'Neil last night, technically I'm sure he's strong but knowing what to do and when looks like a big learning curve.

It's pointless speculating who we need to go after next season on March 29th, especially when a lot of the speculators generally haven't seen these names play other than against us twice a season.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 85
RonMariner
March 29, 2023, 9:36am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,717
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from jimgtfc
Would like to see us go for Josh Umerah from Hartlepool if they go down, big target man type, quick, good link up play and seems to have scored goals in struggling sides for the past couple of seasons. I’d also love us to go after George Lloyd permanently. He’s an absolute pain in the arrse for defenders with his work rate and tenacity, also looks like he’s got some real quality to go with it. Personally despite being under contract and both demanding a fee I think these are two realistic options and would give us some real firepower next season.

Imagine if we had Umerah and Holohan playing for us next season. It would be quite a turnaround from a few years back when some of their fans came on here claiming we were their feeder club!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 85
Rodley Mariner
March 29, 2023, 9:41am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
I coach an u11 team and have kids who are great in training but in matches it's all a bit too hectic and they get lost. Mikey O'Neill reminds me of that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 85
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Striker search - part 7/10

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.