9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
March 29, 2023, 12:32am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Tonight’s match was clearly very frustrating.

The football was sublime at times and you can’t fault the effort of the players. After a match like that, it’s understandable that the clamour for a striker or fox-in-the-box intensifies.

However, a fox in the box is only worthwhile off the bench (Orsi, Hannah etc). No successful, modern teams play with a one dimensional goal poacher.

In terms of a CF, it’s clear we can’t rely on Taylor next season (fitness, age, mobility). I’ve seen enough in Lloyd to be very interested in a permanent deal if possible. Although, nothing in Lloyd’s career to date suggests he’s going to be prolific.

That’s fine though.

The goals have to come from the whole team. The majority of the squad have chipped in and Clifton and Holohan could still reach double figures, which is a good effort.

Where we need to improve is the output from the other attacking positions.

Which brings me to McAtee.

Some say he’s the most talented player we’ve had in years. Some say he’s careless, sloppy, greedy and inconsistent.

I can see both sides but I do agree with many on here that there have been few other Town players who have been able to get the crowd off their seat in the same way as McAtee over the past twenty, fenty years.

But… and i don’t want this to be another McAtee knocking thread; his output in terms of goals and assists has been disappointing this season. McAtee is also - still, after almost 70 matches in L2 - unproven at this level, never mind the Championship.

Now there are reasons for that.

McAtee won’t be 24 until the summer. Audacious. Capable of absolute brilliance and played a huge role in our promotion. He’s also had an injury disrupted season, played several matches further forward than preferred and hasn’t always had great service.  Also, a large chunk of his L2 career was spent in a poor Scunny side.

I understand that.

But his decision making is often suspect and the number of times he doesn’t take the simple option and play in a teammate. 4 goals and 4 assists in 20 league appearances. It’s not amazing. It’s a lot easier to play as a wide or withdrawn forward than it is to play as a number 9. It’s similar to cricket, where it’s easier to score runs at coming into bat at 3 or the middle order, rather than as an opener. McAtee has proved that by struggling when he has played as the furthest forward.

So where does that leave us?

We’re not going to be signing the likes of Langstaff. I’m not expecting us to throw loads of money at a problem that we probably can’t fix with one expensive CF, even if we could identify and sign them.

My monthly scan of the scoring charts throws up the same names. Andy Cook’s scored half of Bradford’s goals this season. Dennis - been there before. Hoskins seems to have been stuck on 20 goals since September and, although more of a McAtee replacement, I doubt we could sign him (unless Northampton replace him if they are promoted).

Then it’s Johnson (13), Wootton (12)…then former flames of the Fishy in Armstrong (12), Miller (11), Umerah (11), Madden (10), Telford (9), Deadpool Waters (9)…Bogle (9). None of those figures are amazing. I mean, clearly far more productive than what we currently have, but the Fishy would still moan if our main striker was only just reaching double figures.

So, in summary, I’d be relatively happy with Lloyd, Taylor, Orsi, a younger, more mobile version of Taylor and a young loanee (by the law of averages, we might find success on this front for once).

Admittedly, those players are unlikely to trouble the top of the scoring charts. But that doesn’t matter.

What we really need are two goal bothering, deeper / wider forward players to replace McAtee (who will be gone anyway) and Khan. Whilst Khan has been decent at times, he hasn’t matched Clifton’s attacking output and certainly can’t provide Harry’s work rate or defensive attributes.

They’re the positions we have more chance of strengthening in.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
March 29, 2023, 12:44am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Hmmm…why can’t I red cross my own post.

I’ve just read it back. That’s long-winded drivel, even for me.

Night.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 85
ginnywings
March 29, 2023, 1:09am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
You don't necessarily need someone who scores loads of goals, but someone who scores important goals: the ones that turn a losing position into a draw or a drawing position into a win.

Some strikers are prolific, but a lot of the goals they score are just icing on the cake. Winning 4-0 and your striker scoring a hat trick brings no more points than winning 2-1 and he gets the vital second goal. That is what we are missing.

If we had a forward who had chipped in with a dozen goals this season, we would probably have 10 or 12 more points and be in and around the play offs.

The amount of games we have drawn, especially at home, is frustrating. I can think of at least half a dozen games we really should have won at BP this season, but we spurned good chances to do so.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 85
GtfcGarner
March 29, 2023, 5:55am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,786
Gold Stars: 26
Josh Umerah from Hartlepool would be my pick if they go down be able to get him cheaper. Big strong unit with running power and can finish, Poolies have said he’s probably single handedly give them a fighting chance of staying up this year but fought nail and tooth to keep him from a January move so I doubt we would be the only interested party.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 85
ska face
March 29, 2023, 6:43am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
I’m not fussed about finding a name anymore. Lloyd has shown there’s plenty of quality sitting around on benches at L1 level and elsewhere, would he have scored 15-20 in a settled team over a full season? Maybe. There’ll be others capable.

Needs to happen though - you’ll not go up clinging onto 1-goal leads all year.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 85
It Bites
March 29, 2023, 7:12am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,222
Gold Stars: 265

The football was sublime at times and you can’t fault the effort of the players. After a match like that, it’s understandable that the clamour for a striker or fox-in-the-box intensifies.

However, a fox in the box is only worthwhile off the bench (Orsi, Hannah etc). No successful, modern teams play with a one dimensional goal poacher.

In terms of a CF, it’s clear we can’t rely on Taylor next season (fitness, age, mobility). I’ve seen enough in Lloyd to be very interested in a permanent deal if possible. Although, nothing in Lloyd’s career to date suggests he’s going to be prolific.

That’s fine though.

The goals have to come from the whole team. The majority of the squad have chipped in and Clifton and Holohan could still reach double figures, which is a good effort.

Some say he’s the most talented player we’ve had in years. Some say he’s careless, sloppy, greedy and inconsistent.

I can see both sides but I do agree with many on here that there have been few other Town players who have been able to get the crowd off their seat in the same way as McAtee over the past twenty, fenty years.

But… and i don’t want this to be another McAtee knocking thread; his output in terms of goals and assists has been disappointing this season. McAtee is also - still, after almost 70 matches in L2 - unproven at this level, never mind the Championship.

McAtee won’t be 24 until the summer. Audacious. Capable of absolute brilliance and played a huge role in our promotion. He’s also had an injury disrupted season, played several matches further forward than preferred and hasn’t always had great service.  Also, a large chunk of his L2 career was spent in a poor Scunny side.

I understand that.

But his decision making is often suspect and the number of times he doesn’t take the simple option and play in a teammate. 4 goals and 4 assists in 20 league appearances. It’s not amazing. It’s a lot easier to play as a wide or withdrawn forward than it is to play as a number 9. It’s similar to cricket, where it’s easier to score runs at coming into bat at 3 or the middle order, rather than as an opener. McAtee has proved that by struggling when he has played as the furthest forward.

We’re not going to be signing the likes of Langstaff. I’m not expecting us to throw loads of money at a problem that we probably can’t fix with one expensive CF, even if we could identify and sign them.

My monthly scan of the scoring charts throws up the same names. Andy Cook’s scored half of Bradford’s goals this season. Dennis - been there before. Hoskins seems to have been stuck on 20 goals since September and, although more of a McAtee replacement, I doubt we could sign him (unless Northampton replace him if they are promoted).

Then it’s Johnson (13), Wootton (12)…then former flames of the Fishy in Armstrong (12), Miller (11), Umerah (11), Madden (10), Telford (9), Deadpool Waters (9)…Bogle (9). None of those figures are amazing. I mean, clearly far more productive than what we currently have, but the Fishy would still moan if our main striker was only just reaching double figures.

So, in summary, I’d be relatively happy with Lloyd, Taylor, Orsi, a younger, more mobile version of Taylor and a young loanee (by the law of averages, we might find success on this front for once).

Admittedly, those players are unlikely to trouble the top of the scoring charts. But that doesn’t matter.

What we really need are two goal bothering, deeper / wider forward players to replace McAtee (who will be gone anyway) and Khan. Whilst Khan has been decent at times, he hasn’t matched Clifton’s attacking output and certainly can’t provide Harry’s work rate or defensive attributes.

You're absolutely spot on . Goals need to come from all over the pitch and a lot of our finishing this season has been rushed and hopeful at best .
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 85
jimgtfc
March 29, 2023, 7:23am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,091
Gold Stars: 45
Would like to see us go for Josh Umerah from Hartlepool if they go down, big target man type, quick, good link up play and seems to have scored goals in struggling sides for the past couple of seasons. I’d also love us to go after George Lloyd permanently. He’s an absolute pain in the arrse for defenders with his work rate and tenacity, also looks like he’s got some real quality to go with it. Personally despite being under contract and both demanding a fee I think these are two realistic options and would give us some real firepower next season.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 85
Mappers
March 29, 2023, 7:27am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,339
Gold Stars: 119
Realistically we arent going to get a ready made prolific striker .
I suspect now with the new recruitment guy in place we will be looking at youngsters with a view to having that option in a few years time .

We might have a big one in a few years time as this lad (which has gone under the radar ) who was at Scunny has a record of 200 goals in 50 games at youth level ,signed on for 2 years but is only 16 -hopefully he can progress and go right through .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 85
HerveJosse
March 29, 2023, 8:04am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144

That’s fine though.

I understand that.

That’s an awful lot of words analysing a player who is leaving in a month.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 85
Stew0_0
March 29, 2023, 8:14am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 35
Realistically I would like to see us scour the non leagues for the next Bogle. Someone young and on the rise who would benefit from the coaching and full time training. Like county did with Langstaff.
Umerah will end up in league one am sure and wouldn't be surprised if Lloyd ended up higher up and nearer home also.

I do agree with the sentiment of signing winners and goalscoring midfield players. Unfortunately the likes of Morris, Scannell, Hunt, Gallagher, O'Neill etc do not come under this umbrella so we need better next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 85
Mariner93er
March 29, 2023, 8:20am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,738
Gold Stars: 28
As others have said, we need players from all over the pitch to contribute goals. But our forward line have barely offered any. Even if we added a couple of forwards/wingers who chipped in with 10 goals, that would be enough to convert a lot of our draws.

It's actually quite impressive that we're so high up with so little goal output from any strikers, and highlights that it doesn't take that much to climb up the league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 85
promotion plaice
March 29, 2023, 8:47am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,081
Gold Stars: 199

All I'll say is thank the Lord we've got Harry Clifton.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 85
Mallyner
March 29, 2023, 8:48am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
I have recommended Scotland before and the last lower league striker went on to play for Hibs and Scotland.

I know Annan Athletic are div 2, which is a lower level than us, but I feel Tommy Goss won't be there for long.

Part human part battering ram.  

https://www.facebook.com/spflo.....atu/874417136513567/

Carreer Matches played     146
Goals scored     412 (2.82 per match)
Top goalscorer     Tommy Goss
22 goals this season.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 85
ginnywings
March 29, 2023, 9:06am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
It's a problem for the entire division.

A lot of teams in League 2 struggle to score much more than a goal a game. Even the league leaders have only scored 49 and have drawn their last 4 games.

Top scorers are Salford, and they have just about managed 1.5 per game.

An exciting league it isn't and it wouldn't take much for us to be challenging at the top end. A few more scored, a few less conceded, or a combination of both, would see us much higher, which of course applies to all clubs, but we are not that far off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 85
Rodley Mariner
March 29, 2023, 9:11am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Three players in the league with more than 13 goals this season and two of them have played for us before.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 85
OddShapedBalls
March 29, 2023, 9:29am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,191
Gold Stars: 39
I think any of those mentioned on 9-11 goals elsewhere would be able to get more than that at town if we play like we have the last few games (big if), but I reckon we need different tools to unlock the various teams across a season more than one prolific striker.

My shopping list would include a forward with genuine pace (Reddy/Cohen style) so we can get in behind teams when needed, and a big physical lump so we can go down the set piece/crosses route if needed, plus get Lloyd in for that irritant livewire role.  The high press is great so anyone who isn't going to do that like the lads last night needs to offer something different to change games IMO.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 85
HertsGTFC
March 29, 2023, 9:30am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,955
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Mallyner
I have recommended Scotland before and the last lower league striker went on to play for Hibs and Scotland.

I know Annan Athletic are div 2, which is a lower level than us, but I feel Tommy Goss won't be there for long.

22 goals this season.

Scottish Div 2 is a lower level than the Scunts will be at next season. You want someone who knows what to do at this level and can do it, that was the issue with O'Neil last night, technically I'm sure he's strong but knowing what to do and when looks like a big learning curve.

It's pointless speculating who we need to go after next season on March 29th, especially when a lot of the speculators generally haven't seen these names play other than against us twice a season.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 85
HertsGTFC
March 29, 2023, 9:30am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mallyner

22 goals this season.

Scottish Div 2 is a lower level than the Scunts will be at next season. You want someone who knows what to do at this level and can do it, that was the issue with O'Neil last night, technically I'm sure he's strong but knowing what to do and when looks like a big learning curve.

It's pointless speculating who we need to go after next season on March 29th, especially when a lot of the speculators generally haven't seen these names play other than against us twice a season.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 85
RonMariner
March 29, 2023, 9:36am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,725
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from jimgtfc
Would like to see us go for Josh Umerah from Hartlepool if they go down, big target man type, quick, good link up play and seems to have scored goals in struggling sides for the past couple of seasons. I’d also love us to go after George Lloyd permanently. He’s an absolute pain in the arrse for defenders with his work rate and tenacity, also looks like he’s got some real quality to go with it. Personally despite being under contract and both demanding a fee I think these are two realistic options and would give us some real firepower next season.

Imagine if we had Umerah and Holohan playing for us next season. It would be quite a turnaround from a few years back when some of their fans came on here claiming we were their feeder club!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 85
Rodley Mariner
March 29, 2023, 9:41am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
I coach an u11 team and have kids who are great in training but in matches it's all a bit too hectic and they get lost. Mikey O'Neill reminds me of that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 85
HertsGTFC
March 29, 2023, 9:44am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner

Imagine if we had Umerah and Holohan playing for us next season. It would be quite a turnaround from a few years back when some of their fans came on here claiming we were their feeder club!

Well we've got Holohan, Morris, Amos and Green already all of whom have been on their books in some way so I think the tables have turned.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 85
Maringer
March 29, 2023, 9:47am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,559
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I coach an u11 team and have kids who are great in training but in matches it's all a bit too hectic and they get lost. Mikey O'Neill reminds me of that.

That's what separates the really good goalscorers from everyone else. No panic when the ball comes to them - just do what they've practised in training. It's why, I'd argue, it is very difficult to 'learn' to be a better goalscorer. It's something you either have or don't, though even mediocre strikers sometimes go on runs where everything just works out for them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 85
nightrider
March 29, 2023, 11:34am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
See Diego Forlan

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 85
nightrider
March 29, 2023, 11:36am
Fine Wine Drinker
Oneil is 18. Richardson was 19 and different class
Looking at the goalscorers in the league below, I dont envy the managers job - slim pickings.
Somebody like Dennis would have done well for us this season - surely anyone fit with a decent history of scoring could have had a dozen. Surely?

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 85
Mariner93er
March 29, 2023, 11:47am
Cocktail Drinker
Interestingly, only one of the top ten goal scorers plays for a team currently in the automatic promotion slots. Goes to show the importance of having multiple goal scorers rather than being too dependent on one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 85
diehardmariner
March 29, 2023, 11:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,632
Gold Stars: 539
Can see why there's this desire for someone like Umerah.

The way I see it is that we're not likely, at this level anyway, to find someone who puts away every chance.  Or even the majority of chances.  So it's about creating enough chances to give yourself a fighting chance.

In and around the box I think we're ok, perhaps needing a few subtle upgrades.  Last night showed that in Khan, Clifton, Lloyd and the full backs bombing forward you've got enough pushing forward and beyond to create issues and chances.  But it's that really central role we lack, someone who brings it together and others into play.  Quite a few occasions last night when the only option was that ball in behind, which Crawley seemed to adjust to (and then equally forget about 10 minutes later).  Crazy to think but by having something to mix it up with we would have created even more chances.  A lack of a physical point up top meant Lloyd was drawn into that, which I think reduces his impact - much like how it does when McAtee has tried to do that role.    We get a big, powerful and mobile unit for Lloyd to work off and I think you're feeling pretty smug next season.

McAtee - Last season will see him go down as a modern day hero, rightly so too.  But in all honesty and with the wonder of hindsight, I wish he hadn't stayed here on loan.  He looks a shadow of himself from last season.  Combination of reasons, including injury and a lack of playing in his best position/with his preferred partner.  But his return isn't enough and he hasn't influenced games often enough to justify his position.

Said a few weeks ago and I still stand by it, had we signed him in the summer as a virtual unknown we would all be disappointed with the return from him.  Hell of a lot of talk that he'll be back here next season in another loan deal, truth be told I'm not too sure I'm keen on that. If he can recreate his form from 12 months ago, then of course.  But based on the last 5 months, not for me.  We need to do better than that, especially from one of your main men.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 85
Mariner_09
March 29, 2023, 11:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from diehardmariner
Can see why there's this desire for someone like Umerah.

The way I see it is that we're not likely, at this level anyway, to find someone who puts away every chance.  Or even the majority of chances.  So it's about creating enough chances to give yourself a fighting chance.

In and around the box I think we're ok, perhaps needing a few subtle upgrades.  Last night showed that in Khan, Clifton, Lloyd and the full backs bombing forward you've got enough pushing forward and beyond to create issues and chances.  But it's that really central role we lack, someone who brings it together and others into play.  Quite a few occasions last night when the only option was that ball in behind, which Crawley seemed to adjust to (and then equally forget about 10 minutes later).  Crazy to think but by having something to mix it up with we would have created even more chances.  A lack of a physical point up top meant Lloyd was drawn into that, which I think reduces his impact - much like how it does when McAtee has tried to do that role.    We get a big, powerful and mobile unit for Lloyd to work off and I think you're feeling pretty smug next season.

McAtee - Last season will see him go down as a modern day hero, rightly so too.  But in all honesty and with the wonder of hindsight, I wish he hadn't stayed here on loan.  He looks a shadow of himself from last season.  Combination of reasons, including injury and a lack of playing in his best position/with his preferred partner.  But his return isn't enough and he hasn't influenced games often enough to justify his position.

Said a few weeks ago and I still stand by it, had we signed him in the summer as a virtual unknown we would all be disappointed with the return from him.  Hell of a lot of talk that he'll be back here next season in another loan deal, truth be told I'm not too sure I'm keen on that. If he can recreate his form from 12 months ago, then of course.  But based on the last 5 months, not for me.  We need to do better than that, especially from one of your main men.

This is why I would love to sign Armstrong from Harrogate. He had that ability to be a big brute but also run in behind and get our defenders running back towards their own goal, something lower league defenders hate doing. That would free Lloyd to drop deeper and roam, where he's at his best.

Another one would be Bowery from Mansfield. He's that illusive younger, fitter, more mobile version of Taylor who'll get 10-12 goals a season rather than 3-5. On top of hopefully signing Lloyd, we still need 2 more strikers. If we could those two that I've mentioned in, we'd catapult up this league.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 85
Madeleymariner
March 29, 2023, 12:16pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,059
Gold Stars: 50
The striker situation for next season worries me, I dont feel we have a single striker in the squad currently worth keeping other than Lloyd. Mcatee the best of the rest but neither of them belong to us. I really hope we can find a way to get Lloyd signed up. We really need a big strong reasonably quick No. 9 that can still get onto a through ball as well as winning headers and holding it up.   Umerah/Armstrong is typical example.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 85
Poojah
March 29, 2023, 12:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,598
Gold Stars: 1,503
Umerah is a no-brainer if Hartlepool go down, which looks more likely after handing Crawley a point on a plate. Over the course of this season and last, Umerah has scored comfortably more than anyone in a Town shirt in sides well below us in our own division. On that basis alone it makes sense.

He’s also big, physical and can finish - three qualities we have sorely lacked this season. He’ll want out if there are League Two clubs sniffing around, and I’d hope we were somewhere near the front of the queue.  

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 85
ska face
March 29, 2023, 12:23pm

Vodka Drinker
No point worrying about it now. Can’t do anything about it until June and then it’ll drag on for another 2 & half months until September. A lot can, and will, change in that time.

Think Taylor will probably get another year, don’t think Orsi will be here, hope McAtee isn’t here (we need to move on really) and would be surprised if Cheltenham let Lloyd go.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 85
March 29, 2023, 12:52pm
Guest User
Quoted from Madeleymariner
The striker situation for next season worries me, I dont feel we have a single striker in the squad currently worth keeping other than Lloyd. Mcatee the best of the rest but neither of them belong to us. I really hope we can find a way to get Lloyd signed up. We really need a big strong reasonably quick No. 9 that can still get onto a through ball as well as winning headers and holding it up.   Umerah/Armstrong is typical example.

Agree that Lloyd is the only forward I'd be keen on us 'keeping' (i.e. getting).

It's a problem for all teams in this league though.
Half-decent strikers who score a few in L2 get given a chance at a higher level - sooner rather than later.

If we're looking for goals from someone in our No.9 shirt...

(Quote from player's Wiki page):
According to his Solihull Moors team-mate Darren Byfield, speaking in 2014, "he can dribble, hold the ball up, scores headers, scores with his right foot, scores with his left foot. He's got it all."

...I very much doubt we could do better than Omar Bogle. (I realize this may upset a few on here, but that's my call.)

Of course we'd need to bung Newport a decent wedge of cash, the player would need to be willing, and Hurst would need to
be confident he can get Bogle motivated. But if those 'ifs' could be overcome I would fancy our promotion chances.

Reply: 30 - 85
marinerjase
March 29, 2023, 1:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,656
Gold Stars: 147
Bogle..again…really??

Think there’s far more options available than someone going through the motions.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 85
diehardmariner
March 29, 2023, 2:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,632
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from 137

...I very much doubt we could do better than Omar Bogle. (I realize this may upset a few on here, but that's my call.)

If we can't do better than a guy who's managed 33 goals in 7 years since leaving us, we might as well give up.

Private Message
Reply: 32 - 85
HertsGTFC
March 29, 2023, 2:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 137

Agree that Lloyd is the only forward I'd be keen on us 'keeping' (i.e. getting).

It's a problem for all teams in this league though.
Half-decent strikers who score a few in L2 get given a chance at a higher level - sooner rather than later.

If we're looking for goals from someone in our No.9 shirt...

(Quote from player's Wiki page):
According to his Solihull Moors team-mate Darren Byfield, speaking in 2014, "he can dribble, hold the ball up, scores headers, scores with his right foot, scores with his left foot. He's got it all."

Of course we'd need to bung Newport a decent wedge of cash, the player would need to be willing, and Hurst would need to
be confident he can get Bogle motivated. But if those 'ifs' could be overcome I would fancy our promotion chances.

Bogle?

Other than the default position of many Town supporters in that "he's played for us before so it must be right" there is no reason on earth way I could see us wanting to bring him back.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 85
HerveJosse
March 29, 2023, 2:38pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from Mariner93er
Interestingly, only one of the top ten goal scorers plays for a team currently in the automatic promotion slots. Goes to show the importance of having multiple goal scorers rather than being too dependent on one.

Our second top scorer is 75th in the list of League 2 goal scorers this season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 85
Mariner93er
March 29, 2023, 3:10pm
Cocktail Drinker
McAtee is the one player in our squad who is capable of the sublime and can change a game with a single moment of quality. The problem is, even for a player of his quality, those moments are rare. For every one of these moments, a player like Clifton will have had far more output through versatility and work rate. And the problem with McAtee at the minute is that's he's constantly trying to do the sublime rather than keep things simple, so he's not actually offering that much. It might be controversial, but I'd argue Kiernan had a bigger impact on our season despite having a fraction of McAtee's ability.

The other issue I think is that you essentially have to mould the team around him. He's not versatile like our other forward players and is only ever effective playing off Taylor. Yet if you choose to mould the team around he, a bit like we did last season, and he gets injured, you're fooked.

That being said, I'd still take him next season, but I don't think he'd be a shoo-in for the starting lineup.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 85
GollyGTFC
March 29, 2023, 3:21pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,973
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from Mallyner

22 goals this season.

Signings players from the Scottish lower leagues turned out well for Hartlepool this season didn’t it?
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 36 - 85
GollyGTFC
March 29, 2023, 3:23pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,973
Gold Stars: 356
Here’s a player I don’t think anyone’s ever suggested…

Omar Bogle?
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 37 - 85
RonMariner
March 29, 2023, 3:26pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,725
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Here’s a player I don’t think anyone’s ever suggested…

Omar Bogle?

Not sure, but didn't he used to play for us?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 85
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 29, 2023, 4:01pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,278
Gold Stars: 306
This may be unpopular, and I'm ready for the red crosses....

I think Orsi has shown clearly why Harrogate were prepared to let him go and he's never stayed anywhere for more than a season (or so). He runs around a lot and he's willing but he just doesn't deliver. He's not great at holding the ball up, he hasn't scored many, not great in the air or on the ground. At times he looks lost and just can't get into the game. For me he has looked out of his depth here.

His stats back this up - scored a lot in the National League for Maidenhead but struggled in the league for us and Harrogate.

He seems like a great bloke and I don't doubt his effort and willingness but I just don't think he's good enough at this level, let alone higher.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 85
immariner
March 29, 2023, 4:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Approval: +3,413
Gold Stars: 61
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Agyei

Out of contract in the summer
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 85
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 29, 2023, 4:17pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from immariner
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Agyei

Out of contract in the summer

This season has been his best for goals and he's played in most games - Crewe might make him an offer yet.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 85
MuddyWaters
March 29, 2023, 4:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,261
Gold Stars: 236
This may be unpopular, and I'm ready for the red crosses....

I think Orsi has shown clearly why Harrogate were prepared to let him go and he's never stayed anywhere for more than a season (or so). He runs around a lot and he's willing but he just doesn't deliver. He's not great at holding the ball up, he hasn't scored many, not great in the air or on the ground. At times he looks lost and just can't get into the game. For me he has looked out of his depth here.

His stats back this up - scored a lot in the National League for Maidenhead but struggled in the league for us and Harrogate.

He seems like a great bloke and I don't doubt his effort and willingness but I just don't think he's good enough at this level, let alone higher.

Not unpopular with me at all. He's basically George Lloyd without the ability.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 85
immariner
March 29, 2023, 4:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Approval: +3,413
Gold Stars: 61

This season has been his best for goals and he's played in most games - Crewe might make him an offer yet.

Fully expect rhey will and he'll have options for sure
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 85
March 29, 2023, 5:17pm
Guest User
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Bogle?

Other than the default position of many Town supporters in that "he's played for us before so it must be right" there is no reason on earth way I could see us wanting to bring him back.

Was pretty sure my suggestion would be met with scorn, ridicule, etc. when I posted. I can take it...
I was thinking along the following lines:

Omar scored 32 goals in 68 appearences for us - virtually a goal every other game, on average.
Even if he's half the player that left us, we'll do well to sign a striker with a better than 1 in 4 goal return.

He's got pace, height, and holds the ball up well. We're unlikely to be able to sign a player who ticks all 3 of those boxes imo.

The fact his career has meandered - almost aimlessly - since leaving us is actually part of the reason I made the suggestion.
If he's going to resurrect his career anywhere, I'd say his best chance would be with us - where he has goalscoring memories.
If we could get him playing like the player we sold, he'd be a formidable proposition for the lumbering L2 giants he'd face.

And we're a better club now (i.e. Fentyless) than the one he left...so maybe it could work out for him and us.

Having said all that, I'm probably wasting my breath because I suspect El General would be 'cool' on the idea anyway.
But anyone decent we look at for our No.9 shirt will be on other clubs' radar for sure, and they may well be prepared to slash
the cash to a greater extent than PH has been willing to hitherto.
Reply: 44 - 85
DB
March 29, 2023, 5:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,025
Gold Stars: 386
We've been on about a number 9 for near on 2 1/2 years. Various players have been put forward and a shirt number filled, but not with the right person.

The latest 'NO' was he didn't want to talk to Grimsby! So I sincerely hope Hurst pulls a rabbit out of the hat this summer, and we'll all say who?

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 85
lew chaterleys lover
March 29, 2023, 5:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,728
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from DB
We've been on about a number 9 for near on 2 1/2 years. Various players have been put forward and a shirt number filled, but not with the right person.

The latest 'NO' was he didn't want to talk to Grimsby! So I sincerely hope Hurst pulls a rabbit out of the hat this summer, and we'll all say who?

To be fair I think he would have said he didn't want to talk to anyone other than Colchester, or near there for family reasons I believe. I assume you are talking about Hopper?

I think he has only scored once, and that was against us so probably dodged a bullet!
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 85
chaos33
March 29, 2023, 6:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from 137

Was pretty sure my suggestion would be met with scorn, ridicule, etc. when I posted. I can take it...
I was thinking along the following lines:

Omar scored 32 goals in 68 appearences for us - virtually a goal every other game, on average.
Even if he's half the player that left us, we'll do well to sign a striker with a better than 1 in 4 goal return.

He's got pace, height, and holds the ball up well. We're unlikely to be able to sign a player who ticks all 3 of those boxes imo.

The fact his career has meandered - almost aimlessly - since leaving us is actually part of the reason I made the suggestion.
If he's going to resurrect his career anywhere, I'd say his best chance would be with us - where he has goalscoring memories.
If we could get him playing like the player we sold, he'd be a formidable proposition for the lumbering L2 giants he'd face.

And we're a better club now (i.e. Fentyless) than the one he left...so maybe it could work out for him and us.

Having said all that, I'm probably wasting my breath because I suspect El General would be 'cool' on the idea anyway.
But anyone decent we look at for our No.9 shirt will be on other clubs' radar for sure, and they may well be prepared to slash
the cash to a greater extent than PH has been willing to hitherto.

I understand why and how you’ve made that case mate. I think it is credible even though some have just dismissed it.
I think there’s still a concept that hasn’t been fully grasped: Great all-round strikers who tick all the boxes,or even some of the boxes people have identified on here are in short supply. Really short, and everyone wants one.  If they’re good and score goals, and are ‘proven’, they’re scarce assets who aren’t really available.
For me we need to be realistic in this expectation and keep playing the options - academy, young higher level loanees and those who are firing in the NL, or who aren’t clicking elsewhere. Good players who have experience but who are older, like Taylor. We need patience, and a good grasp of reality, because, if we acquire a striker who starts the first part of the season well, and bangs in 10/15 goals by January, and we’ll be hard pushed to keep hold of them, precisely because…they’re in short supply and everybody wants one. This has to temper people’s expectations - the reality of the world we’re in is that the ‘short term’ dominates, and the relative scarcity of ‘goalscorers’ (especially ‘proven’) is one of, if not the, most challenging squad recruitment aspect.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 85
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 29, 2023, 6:56pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

I understand why and how you’ve made that case mate. I think it is credible even though some have just dismissed it.
I think there’s still a concept that hasn’t been fully grasped: Great all-round strikers who tick all the boxes,or even some of the boxes people have identified on here are in short supply. Really short, and everyone wants one.  If they’re good and score goals, and are ‘proven’, they’re scarce assets who aren’t really available.
For me we need to be realistic in this expectation and keep playing the options - academy, young higher level loanees and those who are firing in the NL, or who aren’t clicking elsewhere. Good players who have experience but who are older, like Taylor. We need patience, and a good grasp of reality, because, if we acquire a striker who starts the first part of the season well, and bangs in 10/15 goals by January, and we’ll be hard pushed to keep hold of them, precisely because…they’re in short supply and everybody wants one. This has to temper people’s expectations - the reality of the world we’re in is that the ‘short term’ dominates, and the relative scarcity of ‘goalscorers’ (especially ‘proven’) is one of, if not the, most challenging squad recruitment aspect.

For me, there are 2 things that count against Bogle:

1. His attitude - he made it very clear that he didn't want to play football any more and wanted to concentrate on his music career. Yet here he is 3 (?) years on still playing football and having moved to several clubs, each lower than the last
2. His record is not great in recent years. I could forgive him this while he was at clubs higher up the league but he's at Newport now and is still not pulling up trees.

There is a third, he's said no to us very clearly.

I'd want Hurst to be 100% certain he could get a tune out of him before he came back.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 85
lukeo
March 29, 2023, 7:18pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,376
Gold Stars: 148
Hmmm…why can’t I red cross my own post.

I’ve just read it back. That’s long-winded drivel, even for me.

Night.

Lloyd yes.
Taylor and Orsi, not for me if we're looking to progress forward and aim for the play offs.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 85
moosey_club
March 29, 2023, 7:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,269
The attacking approach altogether needs a full review....
Last night was for me the first time in the league this season that we have looked inventive, bright and cohesive as an attacking unit...we are three quarters into the season and its taken that long.

A fox in the box is pretty much useless to us if we don't play like that every week...what would they feed off ? Nothing is the answer for most of what we have seen.

Are we a team that plays with width, goes direct, possession based and movement ?? We don't have an identifiable attacking style really, varies almost weekly, that isn't good as our goals for column shows.

We need an identifiable practised system that players can easily slip into and know their roles...and more importantly we need quality in those roles. No point having a poacher if the ball isn't delivered consistently , no point in delivering consistently if there isn't a poacher etc likewise hoofball without a target man or pace to get behind.  Its an overall attacking approach we need not just "a striker"

Looking at our coaching staff it is predominantly/ exclusively defenders and goalkeepers....do we have an attacking/striking coach to work/ advise on such stuff ?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 85
pontoonlew
March 29, 2023, 7:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,042
Quoted from Poojah
Umerah is a no-brainer if Hartlepool go down, which looks more likely after handing Crawley a point on a plate. Over the course of this season and last, Umerah has scored comfortably more than anyone in a Town shirt in sides well below us in our own division. On that basis alone it makes sense.

He’s also big, physical and can finish - three qualities we have sorely lacked this season. He’ll want out if there are League Two clubs sniffing around, and I’d hope we were somewhere near the front of the queue.  

We could’ve been front of the queue last summer but we turned him down…
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 85
ska face
March 29, 2023, 8:04pm

Vodka Drinker
A few mentions of scouring the lower leagues or finding the next Bogle (not the current one), but I do wonder what the reaction would be on here and amongst the fanbase if we sign someone with a record like Langstaff had this time last year. One good season in the National League North after floating around non-league until age 25.

Not that it makes much of a difference what the fans think. Plenty of players now shown how much of a step up it is from Conference to L2 - some flourish (Bogle 16/17), some fail.

I’m hoping that, reputationally, being a mid-table L2 side and FA Cup quarter finalists will put us in good stead with potential signings, rather than being a basket-case club 12-months after finishing bottom of the football league.
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 85
lukeo
March 29, 2023, 9:37pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from moosey_club
The attacking approach altogether needs a full review....
Last night was for me the first time in the league this season that we have looked inventive, bright and cohesive as an attacking unit

My opinion on this is because we had 3 busy mobile players in attack.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 85
chaos33
March 29, 2023, 9:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from ska face
A few mentions of scouring the lower leagues or finding the next Bogle (not the current one), but I do wonder what the reaction would be on here and amongst the fanbase if we sign someone with a record like Langstaff had this time last year. One good season in the National League North after floating around non-league until age 25.

Not that it makes much of a difference what the fans think. Plenty of players now shown how much of a step up it is from Conference to L2 - some flourish (Bogle 16/17), some fail.

I’m hoping that, reputationally, being a mid-table L2 side and FA Cup quarter finalists will put us in good stead with potential signings, rather than being a basket-case club 12-months after finishing bottom of the football league.

Yup. This.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 85
MuddyWaters
March 29, 2023, 10:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I’m not saying it will happen, because it won’t, but it wouldn’t bother me if we only signed forward options in the summer (plus a goalie!). I’d also like to see us also take a chance on goalscorers in the lower leagues. I’m aware of a young lad in the Northern League who’s scored 55 goals in his first season at that level as an example.
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 85
lukeo
March 30, 2023, 4:37am
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from MuddyWaters
I’m not saying it will happen, because it won’t, but it wouldn’t bother me if we only signed forward options in the summer (plus a goalie!). I’d also like to see us also take a chance on goalscorers in the lower leagues. I’m aware of a young lad in the Northern League who’s scored 55 goals in his first season at that level as an example.

Aidan Rutlidge?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 85
Davec
March 30, 2023, 6:43am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from pontoonlew

We could’ve been front of the queue last summer but we turned him down…

Did we turn down Umerah in the summer? Hugely disappointing if so and I would be interested on hearing the reasons for doing so.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 85
MuddyWaters
March 30, 2023, 6:49am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from lukeo

Aidan Rutlidge?

That’s the one!
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 85
HertsGTFC
March 30, 2023, 7:04am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Davec

Did we turn down Umerah in the summer? Hugely disappointing if so and I would be interested on hearing the reasons for doing so.

Some people are playing on words here, we didn't "turn him down" Hurst confirmed in an interview that he didn't fancy the look of him and was never in for him.

He's returned 11 in 34 games this season which in a struggling side I guess is decent and similar to the season he had at Wealdstone, prior to that he wasn't prolific but player learn their trade, so worth a look.

The question is whilst we have (we think) a better budget do we try an recruit players that are scoring in a relegation bound side at the bottom of the 4th division or look to go after players that have delivered at a higher level - personally I reckon we'd need both.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 85
MuddyWaters
March 30, 2023, 7:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Some people are playing on words here, we didn't "turn him down" Hurst confirmed in an interview that he didn't fancy the look of him and was never in for him.

He's returned 11 in 34 games this season which in a struggling side I guess is decent and similar to the season he had at Wealdstone, prior to that he wasn't prolific but player learn their trade, so worth a look.

The question is whilst we have (we think) a better budget do we try an recruit players that are scoring in a relegation bound side at the bottom of the 4th division or look to go after players that have delivered at a higher level - personally I reckon we'd need both.

Obviously we’d love a proven striker but we also need a deeper squad in terms of striking options. We’ve had five young strikers in on loan this season and, with the exception of Richardson, they’ve been disappointing. As far as I’m aware, Essel isn’t ready yet so do we look for talent down the leagues, for the next Vardy?

As far as I can remember, he played for Stocksbridge Steel until he was 23 or so. No idea what league that was in but still well down the pyramid.
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 85
forza ivano
March 30, 2023, 8:04am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,208
I think it far more likely that it will be someone, like lloyd, that weve never heard of. A bit part player, who for some reason or another, hasnt had a fair crack of the whip at his present club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 85
pontoonlew
March 30, 2023, 8:50am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,042
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Yes some people are playing on words, Hurst confirmed to Matt Dean we had the opportunity to sign him and chose not to.

I understand sometimes things are missed, but I won’t accept they’re just not out there and not willing to come when you have examples like that.

Umerah is on for 12+ goals for a probably relegated side, I’d snap your hand off for a 12 goal striker right now, that’d probably give you 15+ with us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 85
Jarmo.Is.God
March 30, 2023, 9:08am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
For what it's worth, apparently Charlton are looking at Josh Umerah
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 85
bedders78
March 30, 2023, 10:04am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 12
I could see us ending up with someone like Connor Wilkinson at Walsall, not had a great season this year coming back from injury, but big and mobile with a decent goal scoring record at this level over several seasons.

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 85
ska face
March 30, 2023, 10:11am

Vodka Drinker
Smith at Orient.

Orient don’t want him, came back from loan at Exeter as he was homesick, now at Barnet & scored 7 in 9.

Mentioned him in Jan but obviously a non-starter given he couldn’t play for another football league team. 6’5”, 27y/o, decent record, question is whether he’d leave the south east.
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 85
Heswall Mariner
March 30, 2023, 12:24pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +591
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from ska face
Smith at Orient.

Orient don’t want him, came back from loan at Exeter as he was homesick, now at Barnet & scored 7 in 9.

Mentioned him in Jan but obviously a non-starter given he couldn’t play for another football league team. 6’5”, 27y/o, decent record, question is whether he’d leave the south east.

Non Starter I reckon - if he was homesick at Exeter he'd be positively bed-ridden up here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 85
Maringer
March 30, 2023, 12:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Heswall Mariner

Non Starter I reckon - if he was homesick at Exeter he'd be positively bed-ridden up here.

Oh, I don't know. We're about 30 minutes closer to East London in the car than Exeter is. Could make a difference to any decision.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 85
buckstown
March 30, 2023, 12:37pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,181
Gold Stars: 79
Looked at the Peterborough forum recently and they are truly scathing about Tshimanga. Fits with the chesterfield view that he’s never been the same since the injury
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 85
Jarmo.Is.God
March 30, 2023, 1:06pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from buckstown
Looked at the Peterborough forum recently and they are truly scathing about Tshimanga. Fits with the chesterfield view that he’s never been the same since the injury

I would be tempted on him still.
But he's there on loan isn't he? and permanent happens in the summer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 85
GtfcGarner
March 30, 2023, 1:33pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,786
Gold Stars: 26
Like others have said, I don't think it will be a top performing striker. I would love Umerah but think he will get a L1 move.
Might have to chance the arm of someone like Acquah or someone who hasn't been given the opportunities at another club. We will see if Hursty can pull a rabbit out of that never ending hat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 85
nightrider
March 30, 2023, 2:03pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Kieran Phillips
* I think he's crocked

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 85
Abdul19
March 30, 2023, 2:42pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,567
Gold Stars: 216
Little and large partnership with Nigel Quinn.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 85
Mariner_09
March 30, 2023, 3:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
There’s no doubt that Taylor can still hack it at this level, it’s just how many games are you going to get out of him next season? For what it’s worth, I think it’s ok to have Taylor here next season as an option to help see out games or play the odd game when the main man is injured or suspended. But he’d have to be 4 of 4. I’d be wanting to sign Lloyd permanently, keep Taylor as a reserve and maybe let Orsi look for a new club. Then we need to sign 2 strikers on top of that.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 85
Son of Cod
March 30, 2023, 4:40pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Nicke Kabamba? 30 years old and flattered to deceive before this season but has bagged 19 in all comps this season for Barnet. Has been at Hartlepool, Nothampton, Kilmarnock, Colchester and Portsmouth before so he's ticked the unfashionable town, Northern town and seaside town boxes before.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 85
acko338
March 30, 2023, 6:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,224
Gold Stars: 33
Kabamba could be the out of the hat signing that very few have mentioned.

Again, as with others, the right build, decent age, has played further north previously, and hopefully one of those in the Head of Recruitment's sights.

Surely we will go looking earlier this year, while the publicity of the cup run is fresh in potential signings' minds???

Time for this researching Head to come to the fore and earn his crust, so that we do have an honest chance of going higher, and more consistent, next season.

Physicality and raw pace, combined with better passing. Ok, it's Div 2, so there will be mistakes made by those who would be playing higher if perfect players.

Reality - improve shots on target, don't dawdle at the back making silly mistakes, improve the passing accuracy - too many soft passes that are not reaching players, or not in front to run on at pace.

There's a lot that a full pre season could correct for next year.

We're still here in Div 2 this year, so let's aim for the play offs or above next year.

Thank you, Jason and Andrew, for putting pride back in the team for the town.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 85
Meza
March 30, 2023, 6:15pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,641
Gold Stars: 50
Well the stats for top scorers is on this forum.  My choices with an Asterix, ive added LG1 but no way any would come to us realistically.

LG1

Player                       Team                         Goals
Jonson Clarke-Harris     Peterborough                         22
Colby Bishop                  Portsmouth                      19
Conor Chaplin                  Ipswich                              16
David McGoldrick          Derby                           16
Dion Charles                  Bolton                              15
Aaron Collins                  Bristol Rovers                         15
Sam Nombe               Exeter                              15
Alfie May                       Cheltenham                      14
Ryan Hardie               Plymouth                              13

LG2

Player                       Team                               Goals
Andy Cook               Bradford                                     22
Sam Hoskins               Northampton                             20
Kristian Dennis          Carlisle                                     17
Dan Agyei               Crewe                                  12
Josh Gordon               Barrow                                     12
Luke Armstrong          Harrogate Town                        12   *
Kyle Wootton                  Stockport                                     12
George Miller                  Doncaster                             11
Josh Umerah               Hartlepool                             11    * (knows Efete from time @wealdstone)

VNL

Player                             Team                               Goals
Macaulay Langstaff             Notts County                            40
Paul Mullin               Wrexham                                  31
Nicke Kabamba          Barnet                                 19    *
James McShane          Dorking Wanderers                       17    *
Rúben Rodrigues          Notts County                            17
Ollie Palmer                  Wrexham                                 16
Cedwyn Scott                  Notts County                            14

VNS

Player                             Team                                     Goals
Dominic Poleon             Ebbsfleet United                     32
Shaun Jeffers                     St Albans                              24
Muhammadu Faal             Havant and Waterlooville       20
Ollie Pearce                     Worthing                              19
Rakish Bingham             Ebbsfleet United                 16
Jordan Greenidge             Tonbridge Angels                 16
Josh Parker                     Oxford City                      15
Adebayo Azeez             Welling                              14

VNN

Player                       Team                           Goals
Connor Hall               Chorley                                 20
Kurt Willoughby          Chester                                 19
Nick Haughton          AFC Fylde                         18    *
Jacob Hazel               Darlington                         18
Mark Beck               Darlington                         15
Gold Omotayo                  Kings Lynn Town                    15
Tom Peers               Curzon Ashton                    15
Michael Coulson          Scarborough Athletic               14
Matt McClure                  Gloucester                         14
Scott Pollock                  Boston Utd                         14
Glen Taylor               Spennymoor Town                    14

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 85
Maringer
March 30, 2023, 7:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I suspect that National League goals really shouldn't be considered as being on a par with League goals. The majority of the top goalscorers in the National League don't get anywhere near the same numbers when making the step up. Obviously, there are always the odd exceptions, but you don't get many Jamie Vardys around! Or Andre Grays.

Alan Connell scored more goals in that one season with us than the remainder of his career after he departed!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 85
moosey_club
March 30, 2023, 7:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,269
Quoted from Heswall Mariner

The term would be "positively Butlered" up here 😂

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 85
forza ivano
March 30, 2023, 7:36pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,208
I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised to see Vernham back with us next season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 85
Youngy
March 30, 2023, 7:43pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,663
Gold Stars: 9
We were linked with Emile Acquah in January from Maidenhead. Scored 13 this season, 6ft 2 and out of contract in the summer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 85
LN8Mariner
March 30, 2023, 11:43pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +313
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from forza ivano
I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised to see Vernham back with us next season

[url]https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/mar/30/sunderland-footballer-jack-diamond-charged-with-and-sexual-assault[/url]

Possibly not now he will have probably a bigger role to play in the run in. I suppose we can be pleased that we didn’t get Diamond though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 85
promotion plaice
March 31, 2023, 12:02am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,081
Gold Stars: 199

Hurst will sign player/s in the summer we've never heard of as usual.

Not a bad thing.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 85
March 31, 2023, 9:38am
Guest User
For me, there are 2 things that count against Bogle:

1. His attitude - he made it very clear that he didn't want to play football any more and wanted to concentrate on his music career. Yet here he is 3 (?) years on still playing football and having moved to several clubs, each lower than the last
2. His record is not great in recent years. I could forgive him this while he was at clubs higher up the league but he's at Newport now and is still not pulling up trees.

There is a third, he's said no to us very clearly.

I'd want Hurst to be 100% certain he could get a tune out of him before he came back.

This is the crux of the issue, isn't it?

If Hurst can get him playing - then his previous poor attitude, moderate recent record, and earlier "no" won't matter a jot.
Obviously there are no guarantees to be had on that one, though.

As ever, I'm glad I'm not a football manager !
Reply: 83 - 85
fishboyUTM
April 1, 2023, 9:15am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
Gold Stars: 40
If we are going to continue with a front three then I'd suggested adding George Lloyd as a permanent addition. He's shown enough to suggest he would do great job for us wide right of that centre forward.

The worst kept secret is Charles Vernam returning to us, he would be fantastic wide left in my opinion. He's almost rejoined us on a couple of occasions. I rate him highly and he is coming to his prime now.

The elusive centre forward? I'm struggling. Not easy on the eye but perhaps Armstrong at Harrogate, he impressed me particularly at their place with his strength, willingness to graft and two well taken goals that day. He's bagged a dozen in a poor side that don't create a lot as far as I can see.

The rest of the side doesn't need too much change for the first time in many a year. Sort out the front three and with minor amendments I am sure we would compete at the top end of the table next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 85
nightrider
April 1, 2023, 5:53pm
Fine Wine Drinker
No mention on here of Theo Archibald after 1st game of the season
Best player on the pitch imo (or at least the one who ran himself into the ground - he wanted to win bad which is what need) and very surprised Hurst didn't sign him baring in mind his locality. Maybe he tried
Highly rated by Orient but imagine they'll be looking to improve next season

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 85
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Striker search - part 7/10

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.