HertsGTFC
March 29, 2023, 9:44am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,956
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from RonMariner

Imagine if we had Umerah and Holohan playing for us next season. It would be quite a turnaround from a few years back when some of their fans came on here claiming we were their feeder club!

Well we've got Holohan, Morris, Amos and Green already all of whom have been on their books in some way so I think the tables have turned.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 85
Maringer
March 29, 2023, 9:47am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,560
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I coach an u11 team and have kids who are great in training but in matches it's all a bit too hectic and they get lost. Mikey O'Neill reminds me of that.

That's what separates the really good goalscorers from everyone else. No panic when the ball comes to them - just do what they've practised in training. It's why, I'd argue, it is very difficult to 'learn' to be a better goalscorer. It's something you either have or don't, though even mediocre strikers sometimes go on runs where everything just works out for them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 85
nightrider
March 29, 2023, 11:34am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
See Diego Forlan

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 85
nightrider
March 29, 2023, 11:36am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Oneil is 18. Richardson was 19 and different class
Looking at the goalscorers in the league below, I dont envy the managers job - slim pickings.
Somebody like Dennis would have done well for us this season - surely anyone fit with a decent history of scoring could have had a dozen. Surely?

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 85
Mariner93er
March 29, 2023, 11:47am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,738
Gold Stars: 28
Interestingly, only one of the top ten goal scorers plays for a team currently in the automatic promotion slots. Goes to show the importance of having multiple goal scorers rather than being too dependent on one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 85
diehardmariner
March 29, 2023, 11:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,634
Gold Stars: 539
Can see why there's this desire for someone like Umerah.

The way I see it is that we're not likely, at this level anyway, to find someone who puts away every chance.  Or even the majority of chances.  So it's about creating enough chances to give yourself a fighting chance.

In and around the box I think we're ok, perhaps needing a few subtle upgrades.  Last night showed that in Khan, Clifton, Lloyd and the full backs bombing forward you've got enough pushing forward and beyond to create issues and chances.  But it's that really central role we lack, someone who brings it together and others into play.  Quite a few occasions last night when the only option was that ball in behind, which Crawley seemed to adjust to (and then equally forget about 10 minutes later).  Crazy to think but by having something to mix it up with we would have created even more chances.  A lack of a physical point up top meant Lloyd was drawn into that, which I think reduces his impact - much like how it does when McAtee has tried to do that role.    We get a big, powerful and mobile unit for Lloyd to work off and I think you're feeling pretty smug next season.

McAtee - Last season will see him go down as a modern day hero, rightly so too.  But in all honesty and with the wonder of hindsight, I wish he hadn't stayed here on loan.  He looks a shadow of himself from last season.  Combination of reasons, including injury and a lack of playing in his best position/with his preferred partner.  But his return isn't enough and he hasn't influenced games often enough to justify his position.

Said a few weeks ago and I still stand by it, had we signed him in the summer as a virtual unknown we would all be disappointed with the return from him.  Hell of a lot of talk that he'll be back here next season in another loan deal, truth be told I'm not too sure I'm keen on that. If he can recreate his form from 12 months ago, then of course.  But based on the last 5 months, not for me.  We need to do better than that, especially from one of your main men.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 85
Mariner_09
March 29, 2023, 11:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from diehardmariner
Can see why there's this desire for someone like Umerah.

The way I see it is that we're not likely, at this level anyway, to find someone who puts away every chance.  Or even the majority of chances.  So it's about creating enough chances to give yourself a fighting chance.

In and around the box I think we're ok, perhaps needing a few subtle upgrades.  Last night showed that in Khan, Clifton, Lloyd and the full backs bombing forward you've got enough pushing forward and beyond to create issues and chances.  But it's that really central role we lack, someone who brings it together and others into play.  Quite a few occasions last night when the only option was that ball in behind, which Crawley seemed to adjust to (and then equally forget about 10 minutes later).  Crazy to think but by having something to mix it up with we would have created even more chances.  A lack of a physical point up top meant Lloyd was drawn into that, which I think reduces his impact - much like how it does when McAtee has tried to do that role.    We get a big, powerful and mobile unit for Lloyd to work off and I think you're feeling pretty smug next season.

McAtee - Last season will see him go down as a modern day hero, rightly so too.  But in all honesty and with the wonder of hindsight, I wish he hadn't stayed here on loan.  He looks a shadow of himself from last season.  Combination of reasons, including injury and a lack of playing in his best position/with his preferred partner.  But his return isn't enough and he hasn't influenced games often enough to justify his position.

Said a few weeks ago and I still stand by it, had we signed him in the summer as a virtual unknown we would all be disappointed with the return from him.  Hell of a lot of talk that he'll be back here next season in another loan deal, truth be told I'm not too sure I'm keen on that. If he can recreate his form from 12 months ago, then of course.  But based on the last 5 months, not for me.  We need to do better than that, especially from one of your main men.

This is why I would love to sign Armstrong from Harrogate. He had that ability to be a big brute but also run in behind and get our defenders running back towards their own goal, something lower league defenders hate doing. That would free Lloyd to drop deeper and roam, where he's at his best.

Another one would be Bowery from Mansfield. He's that illusive younger, fitter, more mobile version of Taylor who'll get 10-12 goals a season rather than 3-5. On top of hopefully signing Lloyd, we still need 2 more strikers. If we could those two that I've mentioned in, we'd catapult up this league.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 85
Madeleymariner
March 29, 2023, 12:16pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,059
Gold Stars: 50
The striker situation for next season worries me, I dont feel we have a single striker in the squad currently worth keeping other than Lloyd. Mcatee the best of the rest but neither of them belong to us. I really hope we can find a way to get Lloyd signed up. We really need a big strong reasonably quick No. 9 that can still get onto a through ball as well as winning headers and holding it up.   Umerah/Armstrong is typical example.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 85
Poojah
March 29, 2023, 12:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,603
Gold Stars: 1,503
Umerah is a no-brainer if Hartlepool go down, which looks more likely after handing Crawley a point on a plate. Over the course of this season and last, Umerah has scored comfortably more than anyone in a Town shirt in sides well below us in our own division. On that basis alone it makes sense.

He’s also big, physical and can finish - three qualities we have sorely lacked this season. He’ll want out if there are League Two clubs sniffing around, and I’d hope we were somewhere near the front of the queue.  

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 85
ska face
March 29, 2023, 12:23pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,664
Gold Stars: 847
No point worrying about it now. Can’t do anything about it until June and then it’ll drag on for another 2 & half months until September. A lot can, and will, change in that time.

Think Taylor will probably get another year, don’t think Orsi will be here, hope McAtee isn’t here (we need to move on really) and would be surprised if Cheltenham let Lloyd go.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 85
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Striker search - part 7/10

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.