Hagrid
August 6, 2022, 5:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,373
Gold Stars: 532
A deserved point.

Game was spoilt by the fussy, hopeless and weak man in the middle but if we’d have lost it would have been very cruel

Taylor was a superb focal point and i thought Holohan drove us on well, smith superb again at CB

It felt like a 0-0 for a long while but there goal meant we had to attack and we looked a threat when we did

Wearne really impressed me when he came on, direct and attacking, and he played his part in the goal, finished by JMD who can maybe feel hard done by to not have started yet.

If northampton are the benchmark, we will be fine.

Special mention to the ref for his incredible decision to not award a corner for the most blatant deflection you’ll ever see and his inept attitude which spoilt the entire game.

One of the Worst lot of  away fans at BP also. Quiet, excrement numbers for a pretty easy trip
Logged Offline
Private Message
mimma
August 6, 2022, 5:22pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
Mad scramble in their box, ball cleared Town player gets the ball and about to cross it when the ref notices one of their players rolling about in the area. He blows so he can be treated. Restarts the game by giving a drop ball to their keeper. Unbelievable
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 118
lukeo
August 6, 2022, 5:30pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 145
Worst decision ever. Infact you can't call it a decision it's going against the letter of the law. It's shocking really. Even as an amateur qualified referee i know that's not what happens.

Anyway, I enjoyed listening to it, especially the second half.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 118
Mikey_345
August 6, 2022, 5:32pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,308
Gold Stars: 100
Really happy with that, add some much needed attacking options (transfer and injuries back) and I can see us going from strength to strength. You can still see in some moments we are a little behind others in terms of fitness but that’s to be expected.

Think we look very solid in defence and in the middle of the park, just that final third that needs some attention. However that’s not to minimise how good I think Taylor is at what he does.

Holohan was fantastic I thought. However have to admit I love Glennon though, great to see him bombing down the wing and not messing around and getting some quality deliveries into the box!

Feeling very positive after seeing that against a much fancied side in this league.

Special mention to one of the strangest referee performances I’ve seen for a while. Didn’t know if the opposition had the ball around your box you could just collapse holding your head and your keeper gets the ball…

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 118
Abdul19
August 6, 2022, 5:33pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,545
Gold Stars: 215
Northampton remind me of Bromley*. As does that ref.

*but better at football

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 118
acko338
August 6, 2022, 5:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,222
Gold Stars: 33
Let's be brutally fair - a fit McAtee would have run them ragged - the game was crying out for his roaming runs  dragging people around.

Mind you - that ref would have got him sent off !!

Taylor will thrive again when he has a runner around him and he gets ball to feet, not long, high punts !

Agree with others that Holohan and Glennon both had good games , with Smith immense at the back !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 118
Kris2
August 6, 2022, 5:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
It felt like they scored with their one clear chance of the game which left us chasing a point while they throw themselves to the floor every 2 seconds, we deserved at least a point but tbh should have scored with one of our earlier chances. Officials were an absolute joke, had no clue what they are doing, their keeper shouldn't get the ball back in that situation at all the team in possession should get it back and restart play. 4th official got it in the ear from Hurst but did nothing, annoying when it goes against us and a manager complains we see a 4th official running on the pitch to intervene but when the ref screws us over we get the guy who just stands there looking gormless when it's clear the ref has it wrong. About as useless as the linesman who were looking at the ref like "uuuhhhh....I dunno".
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 118
ginnywings
August 6, 2022, 5:51pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Not the best game ever and spoiled further by Frodo in the middle. What was he doing? Looked to me like Clifton was fouled in the build up to their goal, but the ref thought otherwise. Fantastic finish mind.

I actually thought Taylor was pretty ineffective and didn't win much against their centre backs. The defence looks solid, the midfield looks solid also but not a lot of creativity in the side. It wasn't until Wearne and JMD came on that we looked more threatening and got a deserved equaliser, after which we could have gone on and won it with a bit more composure or luck.

Was talking to a Northampton fan leaving the ground and he thought we were the better side and that they were well below par, which was maybe down to our organisation.

Thought Smith was magnificent at the back and had a couple of half decent chances too, but didn't make good contact with either.

Looked like we weren't going to get anything, so can't complain too much, especially as we were the side most likely to get the winner with a late rally. Game took us a long time to get going, but we looked half decent for the last 15 mins and they resorted to throwing themselves on the floor every time we got some momentum going. At one point Dave Moore came on the pitch to treat one of their players and the game stopped for a good three minutes.

Frustrating, but I'll take a point.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 118
Mariner_501
August 6, 2022, 5:54pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +227
Gold Stars: 27
Holohan MOTM.

Totally lacking in creativity until the subs. Wearne looks very good
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 118
headingly_mariner
August 6, 2022, 5:54pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Good performance from Town and were unlucky not to win.  

Ref was woeful and felt it was a clear foul on Clifton in the build up to their goal.

Thought Wearne was excellent when he came on.

Holohan would've been my man of the match.

Big discussion to be had about Maguire-Drew, saw both the great and bad from him in his short time on the pitch. Super steady finisher and is always involved in goals, lazy and weak when we don't have the ball.
We'd probably need to find a space for him and take all the responsibility to defend or press off him.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 118
12 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.