12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Davec
August 7, 2022, 8:41am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,442
Gold Stars: 42
I actually tried the fanzine for the first time yesterday, albeit  briefly, I took advantage of the coupon in the season ticket pack and got the mango cider which was very nice indeed, a little expensive but I may visit again especially for the cider.

The Sidney Wheelhouse bar at the back of the pontoon whilst having limited alcohol selection is a good thing to utilise and they did well to get people served quickly.

As for the game again same as last week's first half I thought we battled and showed some good points, Morris looked decent as did Holohan, Kiernan works hard and whilst not being a world beater he does offer something, Green will improve as he gets fitter, Efete does need to stop cutting inside and losing the ball, Glennon did well,  Wearne offered something of the bench as did JMD of course.

Northampton were no great shakes.

Get players back fit and a few more signings we should be fine
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 118
immariner
August 7, 2022, 9:02am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,413
Gold Stars: 61
No one else has mentioned it but I thought it at the time and I still do after watching the highlights, that Crocombe's positioning for their goal wasn't the best. He hasn't come out to narrow the angle and when the ball hits the net is practically leaning against his near post. Their scorer was coming from wide but not that wide. Not saying he's to blame and i'm probably being hyper critcal because it was obviously a decent finish (and becauae no one else has noted it) but I do feel he gave Hoskins a bit too much of the goal to aim at
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 118
HertsGTFC
August 7, 2022, 9:22am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from immariner
No one else has mentioned it but I thought it at the time and I still do after watching the highlights, that Crocombe's positioning for their goal wasn't the best. He hasn't come out to narrow the angle and when the ball hits the net is practically leaning against his near post. Their scorer was coming from wide but not that wide. Not saying he's to blame and i'm probably being hyper critcal because it was obviously a decent finish (and becauae no one else has noted it) but I do feel he gave Hoskins a bit too much of the goal to aim at

I think this is a fair observation, I thought it was a good finish TBH.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 118
aldi_01
August 7, 2022, 9:29am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from jamesgtfc

If I can't get to the rare few games I can make on a Saturday because the Osmond is out of bounds due to stupid idiots gobbing off I won't be happy.

A total home sell out yesterday yet 1900 empty seats in the ground. Appreciate there were probably 700 empty seats in the Northampton section of the Osmond but did it look like 1200 home seats were missing?

Season ticket holders not attending? I know of around 10/15 STH currently on holiday and unable to attend.

I personally wouldn’t bother with opening the osmond and start exploring temporary seats.

There’s no way that when we play a team with a decent away following they’ll even attempt to open it, if they do they’re asking for trouble. If that means people can’t get in then so be it. excrement I know but that’s how it is. Roll out a buy back scheme formally and it could go some way to solve the problem for the 200/300 that can’t get a ticket.

Northamptons turn out was poor so aside from an overweight embarrassment and a loud mouth in the town section, it was hardly an issue.

Things will have teething problems but they’ll get ironed out and will need to be given the more consistent away followings. Let’s face it, we’ve had a season of lost away followings being a handful at best…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 118
ginnywings
August 7, 2022, 9:30am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,126
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from immariner

I heard someone behind me say that Crocombe shouldn't be getting beat from that angle and thinking about it, he has a point. So you weren't the only one.

Great finish though, which I think took everyone by surprise as he hit it hard and early.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 118
jamesgtfc
August 7, 2022, 9:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,957
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from aldi_01

Season ticket holders not attending? I know of around 10/15 STH currently on holiday and unable to attend.

I personally wouldn’t bother with opening the osmond and start exploring temporary seats.

There’s no way that when we play a team with a decent away following they’ll even attempt to open it, if they do they’re asking for trouble. If that means people can’t get in then so be it. excrement I know but that’s how it is. Roll out a buy back scheme formally and it could go some way to solve the problem for the 200/300 that can’t get a ticket.

Northamptons turn out was poor so aside from an overweight embarrassment and a loud mouth in the town section, it was hardly an issue.

Things will have teething problems but they’ll get ironed out and will need to be given the more consistent away followings. Let’s face it, we’ve had a season of lost away followings being a handful at best…

I've already resigned myself to not being able to attend a game like Bradford or Donny, it's common sense that housing town fans in the Osmond for those games would probably cause trouble. I am a bit disappointed at the boards seemingly laissez-faire attitude towards additional capacity, especially as I now fall under the category of fans that can't attend often now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 118
quebec38
August 7, 2022, 9:40am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,575
Gold Stars: 48
Probably the tightest angle you’ll see a goal scored from all season. I think Max has gone to cover the near post expecting it drilled there but it’s a hell of a finish to find the side netting at the far post. Sometimes stuff just happens. I didn’t realise at the time how far wide Hoskins was, got to take your hat off to him really.
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 118
Limerick Mariner
August 7, 2022, 10:04am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from jamesgtfc

If I can't get to the rare few games I can make on a Saturday because the Osmond is out of bounds due to stupid idiots gobbing off I won't be happy.

A total home sell out yesterday yet 1900 empty seats in the ground. Appreciate there were probably 700 empty seats in the Northampton section of the Osmond but did it look like 1200 home seats were missing?

We are repeating ourselves on here so many times on this - whether the nominal capacity is 9000 or not, if you look at the biggest declared attendances since we went all seater, but without the extra seats in the corners - its about 8,400. So 1250 empty seats not 2000. 700 in the away end, in our part of the Osmond some seats we not available for sale - front two rows, corporate seats behind the directors box weren't full, seats behind the now bigger technical area not used, and then alot of empty seats scattered around that have been sold to STH. I said about 7,200 before it was announced - working back from the Stockport attendance of 7,850 last season when STH were able to resell their seats. 450 fewer in the Osmond and then more STH missing because of holidays.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 118
immariner
August 7, 2022, 10:53am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,413
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from quebec38
Probably the tightest angle you’ll see a goal scored from all season. I think Max has gone to cover the near post expecting it drilled there but it’s a hell of a finish to find the side netting at the far post. Sometimes stuff just happens. I didn’t realise at the time how far wide Hoskins was, got to take your hat off to him really.

It was a very accurate finish but I just felt like Crocombe could have come out or having decided to stay put, stood a yard to his right to cover both the far post finish and still be able to cover the near post. His positioning made Hoskins' mind up effectively. I'm certainly no gk keeper though so perhaps the best position from such an angle was to be stood directly on his post
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 118
Rodley Mariner
August 7, 2022, 10:57am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
It was so tight he probably thought the main danger was at the near post. Maybe could have done a bit better but it was a very good finish.

I really enjoyed yesterday and looking forward to the season. Think we'll be very solid once they settle and great to see two really attacking fullbacks on the charge. Looked a bit toothless at times but with Orsi, Khan and McAtee up come back and hopefully another two to come in options should start to look a bit better
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 118
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.