It Bites
August 6, 2022, 8:54pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,181
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

i , that's the bloke . Kept giving away stupid fouls and running down blind alleys .
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 118
chipsandgravy
August 6, 2022, 9:16pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,597
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Lincspoacher
Overall, really enjoyed the game and excellent atmosphere

Back four look solid and settled in the main and definitely bodes well with Maher / Cropper / Amos waiting in wings when fit / needed.

I have to say i also enjoyed seeing Morris, Green and Holohan today and all 3 look excellent for this level. Green never stopped talking, organising and directing and Holohan was more involved and attacking today and he really does have real ability on the ball.

Kiernan and Clifton huffed and pufffed and worked hard. Have to be honest, i know there is a lot of emotional attachment to Clifton and all this "hes one of our own" nonsense, but no way was he man of the match. He works his socks off, but just not sure I see quality there tbh.

Mcguire-Drew created more in his 11 mins on the pitch than the two starting wide players and def worth sticking with as he knows where the goal is for sure and we desperately need that from someone.

Taylor worked tirelessly, but we need need need a striking threat asap.

If we can sign a striker with the money we have or tempt someone on loan(Luton lad runoured who is a Canadian international) this back 4 and midfield will create chances for someone.

Hurst has def strengthened our squad and I am feeling really positive after a draw with a team who only lost out on auto promotion last year to that mad 7-0 win on last day by Bristol.

A good point and we are up and running

UTM

The point about JMD i can understand and whilst almost his first touch he scores - however his defensive responsibilities are pretty poor and I think that's why he's on the bench. Almost immediately after we got back in the game he let there left winger waltz easily past him without so much of a challenge which led to a real dangerous cross. I think Keirnan did very well in both attacking and defending today and did much more than huff and puff. I think in general the midfield did great today both part 1 and 2. This week the subs made a difference which is what you want - last week they didn't.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 118
Croxton
August 6, 2022, 9:30pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from It Bites
Funny how people see things . I thought Green was brilliant, never stopped talking all game and was solid . Kiernan isn't really an up grade on Sousa imo though

Have to disagree about both opinions! I wanted Green subbed for Wearne much sooner and thought Kiernan was a threat right from the whistle. We were much more decisive in getting crosses in and played with more urgency than against Orient. If Green can improve to the same degree as Holohan from last week then he will be OK. Kiernan is much more physical than Sousa and more intelligent in finding space.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 118
HertsGTFC
August 6, 2022, 9:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Thought Kiernan looked decent, worked hard, has good physicality, reads the game well and looks like he’s comfortable on the ball. Looking forward to seeing him on the right of a 3.

Some of the stick Green’s getting is a bit harsh TBH. Don’t think he’s had much of a pre season and that’s not great when you’re making a step up a league.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 118
MuddyWaters
August 6, 2022, 10:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Agree regarding Green, he’s obviously had an injury, had to be told not to train and is obviously keen to make an impression. I thought Morris was decent today, and kept possession better than both Green and Clifton. Harry was his industrious self but nowhere near MoTM which had to be Holohan or Smith.
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 118
newarkmariner
August 6, 2022, 10:03pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / -4
Approval: +751
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from Madeleymariner
It's simple without McAtee/Taylor together to win a game we will have to keep a clean sheet. Lots of effort not much threat up front

23 shots 9 on target =no threat,i give up!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 118
Maringer
August 6, 2022, 10:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,486
Gold Stars: 185
Green definitely off the pace, but he's only been here five minutes so let's see him settle in before we pass judgement. All the other debutants did well, I thought. Glennon defended well other than a couple of slightly weak clearances and he put in a few lovely crossed when we worked the chance.
I thought Morris did pretty well. Won plenty in the air, moved the ball on effectively and, in general, looked very competent. Kiernan did some good stuff in both attack and defence and some good runs through later in the second half especially. I'd have hoped for a bit more pace from him, but he's certainly quick enough. Some nice touches from Wearne after he came on but I thought he might have done better with a couple of his shots.

All in all, a very solid start, especially given the referee was so weak.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 118
quebec38
August 6, 2022, 10:14pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,575
Gold Stars: 48
Just felt we missed someone getting a bit nearer to Taylor in McAtee’s absence but we were decent enough today against one of the fancied sides. We were at least as good as them. Holohan must have had his weetabix this morning, MOTM for me today. Nicking the ball and driving forward, getting his shots off and crosses in to the box. Glennon was great and Smith a real class act again but that is no surprise.

I thought Keirnan was ok first half and got stronger as the game went on. One or two not happy with him but I thought he did alright again, same as last week. I thought Green battled well too and whilst not everything came off for him, it certainly wasn’t for a lack of effort. The midfield needs tweaking still but we’ll work it out.

Looking forward to more Wearne, Pepple, McAtee’s return and Khan yet to sharpen the attack. Good times.

PS, great atmosphere today. UTM.
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 118
Mikey_345
August 6, 2022, 10:15pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,351
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from It Bites

i , that's the bloke . Kept giving away stupid fouls and running down blind alleys .

On the contrary, he gave away some very good fouls… very astute.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 118
aldi_01
August 6, 2022, 10:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I mean their keepers had a blinder and probably deserved MOM but we’ve definitely got no threat🤔

It would’ve been harsh for us to come away with nothing, some could argue a point was fair but in truth, second half we deserved the win. They seemed more content on not losing rather than winning. Felt like playing one of those bottom feeder type clubs in non league, stopping and slowing the game down at every chance to keep what they’ve got rather than try and win.

Thought we looked better when Wearne came on and whilst JMD gets some flack his goals and assists must make him look like a world beater. Frustratingly, we saw best and worst of him in his cameo…

I think the difference this week to last was we saw a Paul Hirst side today. They didn’t stop after going a goal down unlike last week and we battled hard.

People may try and point the finger at Smith and I suspect he’d be the first to admit he was wrong side but he looks a class above anyone on that pitch.

Northampton were poor. If they’re a favourite to go up it makes you wonder how good the league is. They were agricultural at best and seemed to have a couple who just didn’t fancy it.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 118
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.