12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner16
August 6, 2022, 7:00pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 4
Explains the confusion regards todays ref then, thought it was impossible to have the same twice in the first 3 games!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 118
Perkins
August 6, 2022, 7:06pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from MuddyWaters

We’ve got Herczeg on Tuesday. Not sure whether that’s an improvement.

It has to be after today's performance.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 118
FPVmariner
August 6, 2022, 7:06pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 23
Fist point in the bag against one of the promotion favourites, hopefully more attacking options to come.  Not a six point start but neither has it been two drubbings, could be worse.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 118
Lincspoacher
August 6, 2022, 7:08pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +303
Gold Stars: 15
Overall, really enjoyed the game and excellent atmosphere

Back four look solid and settled in the main and definitely bodes well with Maher / Cropper / Amos waiting in wings when fit / needed.

I have to say i also enjoyed seeing Morris, Green and Holohan today and all 3 look excellent for this level. Green never stopped talking, organising and directing and Holohan was more involved and attacking today and he really does have real ability on the ball.

Kiernan and Clifton huffed and pufffed and worked hard. Have to be honest, i know there is a lot of emotional attachment to Clifton and all this "hes one of our own" nonsense, but no way was he man of the match. He works his socks off, but just not sure I see quality there tbh.

Mcguire-Drew created more in his 11 mins on the pitch than the two starting wide players and def worth sticking with as he knows where the goal is for sure and we desperately need that from someone.

Taylor worked tirelessly, but we need need need a striking threat asap.

If we can sign a striker with the money we have or tempt someone on loan(Luton lad runoured who is a Canadian international) this back 4 and midfield will create chances for someone.

Hurst has def strengthened our squad and I am feeling really positive after a draw with a team who only lost out on auto promotion last year to that mad 7-0 win on last day by Bristol.

A good point and we are up and running

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 118
mariner91
August 6, 2022, 7:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,636
Gold Stars: 261
Wearne looked very good. And that’s a big question for Hurst as the balance was much better with a left footed more naturally attacking player in that position.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 118
TownSNAFU5
August 6, 2022, 7:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
The BBC said we had 23 shots at goal.  We were unlucky not to get a winner.  McAtee would have run riot against a surprisingly very average Northampton team.  If the key subs had come on 10 mins earlier we might well have got that winner.

Northampton scored a well-taken goal from their only real chance,  A reminder that teams are less wasteful the higher up you go.

We were caught in possession a few times when attacking for not passing the ball onto another player.  Simple passes that would have kept up the attack.  Waterfall’s headers lacked direction today.  In another game we would have got another goal.

Overall, a lot of determination, endeavour and drive just missing a bit of luck and clinical finishing.

We will be ok this season.  (I won’t mention the ref.  Other than he probably cost us a goal somewhere).  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 118
fishcake63
August 6, 2022, 7:26pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,224
Gold Stars: 62
Enjoyed today would have been an injustice to lose , we look a decent team based on a really good spine , want to see more of wearne starting on tuesday think the lad oozes class , special mention to holohan best performance in a town shirt today
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 118
HerveJosse
August 6, 2022, 7:35pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,207
Gold Stars: 144
If Northampton were good enough to just miss automatic promotion last year we have nothing to fear.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 118
headingly_mariner
August 6, 2022, 7:37pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Just to add. How bad was the away following? Low numbers and they were pitifully quiet, even when they went in front. Embarrassing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 118
Mariner_09
August 6, 2022, 7:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
We shaded the first half although there wasn’t much in the game, very few clear cut chances created by either side. In the second half we basically bossed it and they scored in between long periods of dominance for us. Would’ve been very harsh if we’d got nothing, and I’m certainly not fearful of anyone given with just a small change in circumstances we’d have taken at least 4 and maybe 6 points from these opening two games against two of the more fancied teams.

Smith was excellent again and probably my MOM. Thought Holohan was really aggressive, played on the front foot and drove us forward. Glennon also played well, got up and down the line well and put in numerous very dangerous deliveries, we’re just lacking a striker to get on the end of them!

Taylor gave us a much needed focal point and we looked better than last week despite McAtee not being in the side, as Taylor was more naturally suited to that role. Thought Morris was much better this week and has excellent composure on the ball and I feel he will only grow in influence as he gets fitter and up to speed properly. Green is going to take some time, he’s missed a lot of preseason and is clearly not fully fit, he’s struggled with the pace of L2 so far but I think as he plays more and trains more he’ll get there. He’s a bit laboured in possession.

Worst performance was from the ref. He was dreadful. The outstanding moment was when we had the ball on the edge of their box, ready to send it back into the mixer and he blows up cos one of their CB’s was cheating by clutching his head! If we thought that was bad, he then restarted the game by giving their keeper the ball! Not sure I’ve seen a more baffling restart than that. It was only just a bit worse than when Morris hit a shot that clearly deflected of their defender, all the players from both sides trot towards their goal for a corner and the ref inexplicably points for a goal kick. Not to mention the sheer number of cheap free kicks he have against us.

Onto Crewe now. Bit of a free hit with that being a cup game.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 118
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.