headingly_mariner
August 6, 2022, 8:30pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
He was in the conference team of the season, excellent against Town and Hurst's number one target. I suspect you have got it wrong and also that he'll do a lot of important but ugly work this season which will regularly get missed by fans.

He's a brute, won every header that was anywhere near him and screened the back 4 lovely until he ran out of steam.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 118
ginnywings
August 6, 2022, 8:31pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
It's a step up for him and a new team.

Time needed to settle in and get used to the pace.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 118
Lincoln Mariner 56
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,510
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from moosey_club
Much better than last week, looked a bit sharper and fitter...whether that is because Northampton were worse than Orient or we had improved markedly time will tell....
Start with a back a to goal striker, one natural winger and four centre midfield players of a similar ilk then chances were always going to be a premium, dominated but without much threat on goal. Holohan the standout midfielder for me.
They scored from a rare opportunity but looked more like a result of our poor play than them creating, possibly Green giving the ball up, harsh to be 1 down.
We reacted much better than last week, subs worked a treat, Wearne with an actual left foot on the left wing and Drew an actual winger made a huge improvement.
Cracking to come back and be pushing for 3 points, their keeper despite our real lack of goal threat still made a couple of cracking saves. Nice to get points on the board.

U

Have to agree about Green but as it’s only his second game will cut him some slack but in all honesty his movements and lack of pace reminded me of Jones last season which isn’t too positive!!

Morris also too slow on the ball and I don’t get the feeling this is a creative or mobile partnership and in some ways Morris reminds me of Berrett and as any regular readers of my posts will recall I am not Harry’s biggest fan but at present I think we need his energy in the middle of the park with Wearne starting on the left. Watching the game today makes me more puzzled why we didn’t pursue keeping Mani as his physical presence and hold up play is badly missed as Taylor without McAtee is like Morecambe without Wise and he just lacks sufficient physicality to trouble central defenders.

Appreciate that all sounds a bit negative but thought defensively we were excellent and probably deserved all 3 points and a number of the second half scrambles could have seen us score. I also accept after just two games any judgement of Green and Morris is premature as all players need time to settle in and adjust so my comments are solely based on today’s performance where Hoolahan was for me MOM.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 118
It Bites
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +5 / -8
Approval: +1,967
Gold Stars: 238
Funny how people see things . I thought Green was brilliant, never stopped talking all game and was solid . Kiernan isn't really an up grade on Sousa imo though
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 118
The Yard Dog
August 6, 2022, 8:32pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,443
Gold Stars: 74
The lad from Luton was at BP today, Hurst said that his international clearance was sorted, hopefully he was impressed with what he saw on and off the pitch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 118
headingly_mariner
August 6, 2022, 8:33pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Lincspoacher
Overall, really enjoyed the game and excellent atmosphere

Back four look solid and settled in the main and definitely bodes well with Maher / Cropper / Amos waiting in wings when fit / needed.

I have to say i also enjoyed seeing Morris, Green and Holohan today and all 3 look excellent for this level. Green never stopped talking, organising and directing and Holohan was more involved and attacking today and he really does have real ability on the ball.

Kiernan and Clifton huffed and pufffed and worked hard. Have to be honest, i know there is a lot of emotional attachment to Clifton and all this "hes one of our own" nonsense, but no way was he man of the match. He works his socks off, but just not sure I see quality there tbh.

Mcguire-Drew created more in his 11 mins on the pitch than the two starting wide players and def worth sticking with as he knows where the goal is for sure and we desperately need that from someone.

Taylor worked tirelessly, but we need need need a striking threat asap.

If we can sign a striker with the money we have or tempt someone on loan(Luton lad runoured who is a Canadian international) this back 4 and midfield will create chances for someone.

Hurst has def strengthened our squad and I am feeling really positive after a draw with a team who only lost out on auto promotion last year to that mad 7-0 win on last day by Bristol.

A good point and we are up and running

UTM

I would've gone for Holohan as MOM, but do we have to have this Clifton quality debate again? Thought he was great as usual today and it's telling he turned a good deal down from league 1. Other teams recognise his quality and he'll be a guaranteed regular if he's fit this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 118
Chrisblor
August 6, 2022, 8:41pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,678
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from davmariner
Nothing much to add to what people have said. Other than having been at both games so far, I’m struggling to see what Green brings to the team or what makes him worth buying.

He got caught in possession a number of times today and tends to trot about as the game passes him by.

Agree 100% with this. See you've already picked up a load of red crosses for saying it but I think he's been awful these first two games - miles off the pace, lumbering in possession and often getting his pocket picked because he's spent too long on the ball. I'm not writing him off yet because clearly he was one of the better defensive midfielders in the conference last season, but was notable how much better we looked after he went off and Wearne and JMD came on. Really hope he picks it up and improves going forward.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 118
Rodley Mariner
August 6, 2022, 8:47pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,215
Gold Stars: 176
Quoted from It Bites
Kiernan isn't really an up grade on Sousa imo though

This Kiernan?

https://twitter.com/itvfootball/status/1555992603631489027?t=N6rPMpofK46CctNRtJHskg&s=19
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 118
psgmariner
August 6, 2022, 8:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
Sat in the osmond corner and enjoyed the game but some constructive feedback:

- it took me nearly 30 mins to leave after the game (not sure if another exit is available but the bottle neck to get back in to the main stand seemed to be the issue).
- being close to the away fans was pretty good (especially when we scored!) but the couple of stewards protecting the gate may have been in trouble if it had been a more ferocious away support / more heated game.
- someone I was sat with asked what constitutes being kicked out. Some fans from both teams seemed more interested in doing the bouncing on their feet with the arms out hold me back LADZ dance than watching the game. Looking at you fat NTFC fan and the ‘excrement Jimmy savile’ GTFC fan. I understand stewarding is a tricky balancing act but if in a bar / in public / anywhere else both would be thrown out.
- one steward / employee told me I needed to enter via the away fans entrance and another told me to use the main stand entrance. For future reference if you are a home fan in the osmond enter via the main stand entrances.
- the collection of shite in the closer corner stand included some stocks.  Keen to see these used.
- the pontoon and findus sound silent from the osmond.

Private Message
Reply: 58 - 118
moosey_club
August 6, 2022, 8:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I would've gone for Holohan as MOM, but do we have to have this Clifton quality debate again? Thought he was great as usual today and it's telling he turned a good deal down from league 1. Other teams recognise his quality and he'll be a guaranteed regular if he's fit this season.

I think , yet again, this will rumble on, his versatility will be his hindrance in alot if ways, so much energy, enthusiasm  and commitment is hard to overlook...but left wing isn't really doing him or the team any long term favours.
As per last week, very little coming from our left, excellent runs into the channel and balls to him resulting in checking back as he can't naturally run onto a ball and cross it.
Not his fault, love him to bits, but he isn't a left winger and never will be.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 118
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.