August 5, 2022, 11:43am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +652
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from aldi_01
Comedy gold this thread…

Was just thinking the same, can tell school holidays have started...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 85
acko338
August 5, 2022, 11:53am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,222
Gold Stars: 33
Buy an expensive striker who then breaks a leg in their first or second game - anyone remember Martin Pringle ??

Remember Chesterfield last year?

We will probably bring in the likes of Sam Bell or similar to try and develop another team's player.

I will not be surprised to find out that Hurst and/or others are contacting the likes of Aston Villa, Sunderland, Hull, Bristol City, and now Luton, to see which players they would be happy to.loan out to a caring Div 2 team, to bring on, develop, and harden up to full league football, with little risk to the parent club.

We may still find ourselves paying out for higher level wages than ours for a young development team player, with no guarantee of instant success.

Would that be considered any form of marquee signing...  ?? - no......but if Hurst unearths a hidden gem??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 85
Rodley Mariner
August 5, 2022, 11:54am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Eight weeks ago - 'That was the best two weeks in my 89 years as a Town fan'.

One competitive game later - 'The owners and manager need to start repaying my loyalty a bit more'.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 85
headingly_mariner
August 5, 2022, 11:54am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Hysterical knicker wetting
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 85
chaos33
August 5, 2022, 12:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
To be fair, isn’t it just the usual couple of old moaners?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 85
acko338
August 5, 2022, 1:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,222
Gold Stars: 33
In all honesty, who would have honestly backed us to be promoted through 3 massive "against all odds" play off games - and who keeps thinking that it is still a dream situation  but now frighteningly real?

No, it's real, so everything has to upgrade within 8 weeks for management staff, players, new Directors, etc

Is it realistic to think that we are going to go on a run, and going for another promotion season?

A sudden turn of fortune, with a run of injuries, that sudden transfer, the dislocated shoulder problem, struggling to find replacement forward(s) going into the end of the transfer window - these are all things that will need to be overcome in order to hold our own, let alone aim for top 7 !!

Look again at the end of September, give everyone a fair chance to acclimatise to the higher level, see who Hurst can eventually persuade to join Town.

Then, let's return to a lively up to date debate in the team's fortunes !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 85
MuddyWaters
August 5, 2022, 1:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,236
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from chaos33
To be fair, isn’t it just the usual couple of old moaners?

If being concerned about a lack of squad depth in certain areas makes me an ‘old moaner’, count me in.

There’s extenuating circumstances with the late end to last season and I totally understand that but I don’t like to see us looking unprepared.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 85
WelwynGardener
August 5, 2022, 3:05pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 6
I'm an old bloke. When I was younger, life was played out in a hurry; everything needed to be done 'now'. But I'm wiser now, I think. Life isn't always how i would like it to be, but 'it is what it is''. I would guess there are so many moving parts to PH's search for a truly prolific number 9 that it would consume every waking hour if he let it. He and his deputy, I'm sure, are doing their very best to find the 'right' player, the one with a 'spark', the one who will 'mesh' into the team and who will accept team discipline. Good luck to them in their efforts. People like me, who sit on the sidelines, should perhaps just give these guys the space to do their work.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 85
Lost in Lincoln
August 5, 2022, 3:22pm
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +375
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from MuddyWaters

If being concerned about a lack of squad depth in certain areas makes me an ‘old moaner’, count me in.

There’s extenuating circumstances with the late end to last season and I totally understand that but I don’t like to see us looking unprepared.

There's 3 weeks of the transfer window left plus the loan market.  Chill.

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 48 - 85
MuddyWaters
August 5, 2022, 3:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,236
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Lost in Lincoln

There's 3 weeks of the transfer window left plus the loan market.  Chill.

Transfer window ends when it ends. Including loans.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 85
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The one thing missing

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.