This thread currently has 7,463 views. Print
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
wiggers
August 4, 2022, 10:07pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +460
Gold Stars: 11
I have loved everything about the way the club has flourished under the fantastic new owners. The one thing missing for me is a statement centre forward signing. It would be the final piece of the GTFC transformation. No loan signing, an actual we identified this striker and paid the money required signing. Without it we will struggle this season. Come on Jason, Andrew and Paul, you know it makes sense…….
Logged Offline
Private Message
aldi_01
August 4, 2022, 10:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Evening Captain Obvious…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 85
blundellpork
August 4, 2022, 10:13pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,645
Gold Stars: 32
In fairness to Hurst, he does have a good track record in signing strikers for us- Hearn, Hannah, Cook, Bogle, Amond, McAtee etc suggests he can find them.

We might be frustrated in having to wait, but I’m sure someone will materialise in due course.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 85
wiggers
August 4, 2022, 10:15pm
Snakebite drinker
Evening, if it’s that obvious why we still dicking around? The fans have done their bit, record season ticket sales and sold out shirts. Time for some cash to be splashed on a striker.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 85
MuddyWaters
August 4, 2022, 10:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
I guess patience is a virtue but I’m inclined to think that the supporters have done their bit. Time for a few signings that match the commitment of the fans.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 85
Rodley Mariner
August 4, 2022, 10:27pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,215
Gold Stars: 176
Yeah the fans deserve something back after the disappointment of last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 85
TheultimateMariner
August 4, 2022, 10:28pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +429
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from wiggers
Evening, if it’s that obvious why we still dicking around? The fans have done their bit, record season ticket sales and sold out shirts. Time for some cash to be splashed on a striker.

If it was so easy to come by these amazing strikers, then every team would have one. Patience.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 85
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
August 4, 2022, 10:29pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,784
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from wiggers

For the millionth time, there is a shortage of strikers in world football at the moment.

The prevalence of false nines and inverted wide players has meant there are a lack of centre forwards in youth football.

That’s filtered all the way down to our level.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 85
lew chaterleys lover
August 4, 2022, 10:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from wiggers

I do agree as I have argued on the Dallas rumour thread. At this level we are not talking about life-changing sums of money really, are we? We have been waiting a long time for a marquee signing of a striker and with the money the fans have shelled out last season and this, I personally don't think it is too much to ask to get a recognised striker who is in demand and will therefore cost money in a transfer fee and/or wages.

I think Hurst is like me - he likes a bargain and the challenge that goes into finding it - but an in-demand striker would be nice all the same.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 85
jamesgtfc
August 4, 2022, 10:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,813
Gold Stars: 187
What is it with everyone tonight? Football returns to BP on Saturday and many of you will be there.

Nearly 6000 season tickets, we've retained all but one of those Hurst wanted to keep, just banked some money for our best asset in McAtee but managed to keep him here for the season too and Hurst is patiently biding his time for a striker.

That same patience saw Andy Smith walk through the door at the other end of the pitch last week too...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 85
wiggers
August 4, 2022, 10:35pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Yeah the fans deserve something back after the disappointment of last season.

It’s about pushing on, it’s the reason Hurst never stuck around last time. We need to keep improving. We are not going to score enough goals with the current crop of forward players. Action is needed now! Pay the money sign a decent striker.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 85
MuddyWaters
August 4, 2022, 10:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker

I do agree as I have argued on the Dallas rumour thread. At this level we are not talking about life-changing sums of money really, are we? We have been waiting a long time for a marquee signing of a striker and with the money the fans have shelled out last season and this, I personally don't think it is too much to ask to get a recognised striker who is in demand and will therefore cost money in a transfer fee and/or wages.

I think Hurst is like me - he likes a bargain and the challenge that goes into finding it - but an in-demand striker would be nice all the same.

Not a popular view but I agree.

Seems like the bombardment of good news allows some to believe that we can manage with a 34 year old at the end of his career and, whilst I’m a massive Ryan Taylor fan, I think even he’d admit that he’s not a 40 game a season player any more.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 85
Rodley Mariner
August 4, 2022, 10:38pm
Special Brew Drinker
Nobody thinks that they just don't act like spoilt children who want a new toy immediately. Maybe some of us just think we should show a bit of trust in the owners and manager having been promoted a whole 8 weeks ago.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 85
MuddyWaters
August 4, 2022, 10:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Nobody thinks that they just don't act like spoilt children who want a new toy immediately. Maybe some of us just think we should show a bit of trust in the owners and manager having been promoted a whole 8 weeks ago.

We have record season ticket sales, promotion prize money and have sold every shirt we can get hold of. In addition, we’ve sold our star player - isn’t that sufficient reason not to write off the first 6 games of the season? We are behind the game already but it’s ok, we’ve repainted the Main Stand.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 85
wiggers
August 4, 2022, 10:45pm
Snakebite drinker
We’ve had no issue filling every other position. I happen to think one of PH’s best attributes is player identification and acquisition. Strikers cost money, Paul Hurst will have identified a few he’d like I’m sure. Time to spend.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 85
Wedidntdidwe
August 4, 2022, 10:51pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +372
Gold Stars: 22
Halfway through the transfer window and we've signed 9 players.
Could you unhappy guys name a few of the players we should sign?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 85
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
August 4, 2022, 10:51pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,784
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from wiggers

It’s about pushing on, it’s the reason Hurst never stuck around last time. We need to keep improving. We are not going to score enough goals with the current crop of forward players. Action is needed now! Pay the money sign a decent striker.

In the past 18 months how many ‘marquee’ strikers could we have signed?

How many have other L2 / NL rivals signed?

I can only really think of Mullin, Palmer and Tshimanga and all of them were outside of our transfer and wage budget.

There are hardly any strikers on the market. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

It’s why Liverpool have spent £85m on Núñez on the back of one prolific season in Portugal. Why Barcelona have turned to a 34 year old Lewandowski. Why Chelsea are desperately chasing Aubameyang. Part of me thinks City have signed Häland to prevent their rivals from having him.

It’s why Mitrovic was being paid £100k pw in the Championship last season and why Wrexham are paying £x pw for Mullin and Palmer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 85
MuddyWaters
August 4, 2022, 11:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Wedidntdidwe
Halfway through the transfer window and we've signed 9 players.
Could you unhappy guys name a few of the players we should sign?  

Not exactly true. We’ve signed Glennon, Khan, Wearne, Morris, Maher, Green and Orsi as permanent, Kiernan and Smith (replacing Smith) as loans and let Wright, Sousa, Spokes, McKeown, John Lewis, Burgess, Crookes, Fox out as well as Abrahams, Dieseruvwe, Jones and Raikhy. That’s 12 out and 8 in.

I’m all for Hurst making quality signings but we’ve also effectively lost McAtee for 3 months and Khan and Orsi are medium term injuries too. It’s not the best way to start a season, is it?
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 85
jamesgtfc
August 4, 2022, 11:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Not exactly true. We’ve signed Glennon, Khan, Wearne, Morris, Maher, Green and Orsi as permanent, Kiernan and Smith (replacing Smith) as loans and let Wright, Sousa, Spokes, McKeown, John Lewis, Burgess, Crookes, Fox out as well as Abrahams, Dieseruvwe, Jones and Raikhy. That’s 12 out and 8 in.

I’m all for Hurst making quality signings but we’ve also effectively lost McAtee for 3 months and Khan and Orsi are medium term injuries too. It’s not the best way to start a season, is it?

Northampton will probably be up there again this season so there is a strong possibility that we lose on Saturday too. If we do, I hope I don't make the mistake of visiting this forum Saturday night.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 85
MuddyWaters
August 4, 2022, 11:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Northampton will probably be up there again this season so there is a strong possibility that we lose on Saturday too. If we do, I hope I don't make the mistake of visiting this forum Saturday night.

I’m not sure you’ll find many fan’s forums that celebrate a defeat if I’m honest.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 85
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 4, 2022, 11:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,510
Gold Stars: 64
The short turn around between seasons is clearly a contributing factor to not having in all the players we want and I have a feeling that, unlike last season, we are going to start this season pretty slowly and will be in and around our historical L2 position until October time.

After that I believe Hurst will have the midfield and forwards playing as he wants and the points will rack up. We all want to see what we consider to be exciting signings but we’re we that excited when McAtee came in? When Amond was signed? Would we have expected Jamille Matt to score over 20 goals in a L2 winning team or Kayden Jackson to play in the Championship?

Signing any player is a risk, and PH ensures these risks are minimal, but I feel they will come in and hopefully they will be of the required quality and once again come the end of the season we will be in or around the play offs. Not every side that ends up in the upper echelons start the season well and Mansfield and Brizzle Rovers were perfect examples of this just last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 85
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
August 4, 2022, 11:50pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +785
Gold Stars: 113
Yes but exactly the same situation happened last year and we never did get that elusive number 9 that everyone was wanting.

It didn't turn out too bad last year did it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 85
aussiej
August 5, 2022, 12:29am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +102
Gold Stars: 17
Its all about optimising your season. Not being prepared from the off probably leads to a slow start... Now fast forward to the end of the season and you miss out on the play offs by one point. Makes you wish you had got your start right dosen't it... We needed those forwards in a couple of weeks ago and failed to get them. We lost our best striker and it compounded the problem. Our other two are crocked and we have somehow contrived the situation when we go into our first game of the season at home with no first choice strikers...  Also if strikers are that hard to come by why release a player who scored 7 goals in 15 games... Strikers are available but generally they cost and there is the conundrum...  Do we stick or twist?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 85
tashee69
August 5, 2022, 1:04am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +966
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from aussiej
Also if strikers are that hard to come by why release a player who scored 7 goals in 15 games.

Let’s remember that before his games for us, he had an absolutely appalling record and when we signed him on loan, Hursts ability to find a striker was questioned. In my opinion, he did a job. He was a good option to come off the bench but was not up to league football.
We never actually released him, as he was never our player. If we hadn’t have gone up, I think he may have been offered a contract.

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 85
somersetmariner
August 5, 2022, 5:22am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +253
Gold Stars: 4
I think it’s fair to say that Paul Hurst and the board of directors know what they’re doing.

Every club up and down the land crave that marquee goalscoring striker.

To level criticism at the club for not signing one, suggests to me that the op is a few wigs short of a hairdressers !

you can take the boy out of grimsby......but you can't take grimsby out of his soul, his blood, his semen!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 85
DB
August 5, 2022, 6:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.54
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,879
Gold Stars: 383
I think the answer to the OT is that they are, like our shirts, high in demand and short in supply. I seem to recall Hurst mentioning in an interview that the likelihood is a loan striker from the championship or league one before the end of the transfer window.

Patience is the answer for I feel sure he'll bring somebody in.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 85
LondonMariner43
August 5, 2022, 8:06am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,891
Gold Stars: 64
Some of the negative posters on here are beyond belief.

Try listening to interviews where Jason says he wants us to sign an amazing striker and how he and Andrew just put an extra £500k into the club and that all extra revenue will be reinvested.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 85
MuddyWaters
August 5, 2022, 8:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from LondonMariner43
Some of the negative posters on here are beyond belief.

Try listening to interviews where Jason says he wants us to sign an amazing striker and how he and Andrew just put an extra £500k into the club and that all extra revenue will be reinvested.

Are you saying other chairmen wouldn’t want ‘an amazing striker’? Of course, he’s going to say that.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 85
Lost in Lincoln
August 5, 2022, 8:26am
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Approval: +344
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from wiggers

Every club in the league wants a 20 goal striker, they don't grow on trees.

I mean we could just sign 45 strikers ala Holloway and hope one turns into a gem - *spoiler alert, they won't*.

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 85
Zmariner
August 5, 2022, 8:32am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,067
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Bet you do …..😀
It’s like the rumours thread, truly 20 odd pages of absolute nobrot but I still keep reading it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 85
male private Nale
August 5, 2022, 8:35am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Approval: -806
Gold Stars: 131
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Anyone visiting this forum on a Saturday night really needs to take a long hard look at what they do with their weekends.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 85
ska face
August 5, 2022, 8:35am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,342
Gold Stars: 824
Maybe the true no.9 is the friends we made along the way?
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 85
Northbank Mariner
August 5, 2022, 9:21am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
Quoted from wiggers

If you read what nearly every manager in lower leagues are saying is this ...it's a supply and demand problem that is not unique to GTFC, at present there just is not the strikers out there to get our hands on, certainly not with budget we have and I, for one, can't identify a striker we could afford.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 85
Rodley Mariner
August 5, 2022, 9:21am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from male private Nale

Anyone visiting this forum on a Saturday night really needs to take a long hard look at what they do with their weekends.

Yeah everyone should try to be as cool as the guy posting under the pseudonym 'male private Nale'.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 85
AussieMariner
August 5, 2022, 9:59am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,073
Gold Stars: 31
The fans are responding to the commitment the new owners have already made. Matching it big time admittedly but the concept that ‘the fans have done their bit, it’s time for the club to match their commitment’ is complete and utter BS.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 85
chaos33
August 5, 2022, 10:06am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Quoted from MuddyWaters

We have record season ticket sales, promotion prize money and have sold every shirt we can get hold of. In addition, we’ve sold our star player - isn’t that sufficient reason not to write off the first 6 games of the season? We are behind the game already but it’s ok, we’ve repainted the Main Stand.

I dont get your points. Who’s writing the first six games off,  and how are we ‘behind already’?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 85
August 5, 2022, 10:13am
Guest User
Quoted from wiggers

You think that's all you have to do.  There is no shop that I know of where you can walk in and buy a striker off the shelf.  I remember saying something like this before, but it appears to have gone over the heads of a few people.

So, for a start the fee PH offers may not be good enough, even if it was, the contract offered to the player could have been turned down.  Perhaps he didn't want to move to Grimsby for whatever reason.  Maybe when PH talked with him, and to others about him, there were things he didn't like about his character.  I could go on and on stating the many reasons PH can't get his man, but I am quite happy to wait and see what other gem he uncovers.

Reply: 36 - 85
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
August 5, 2022, 11:24am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from chaos33

I dont get your points. Who’s writing the first six games off,  and how are we ‘behind already’?

Can't you SEE. Don't you UNDERSTAND.

We LOST a game. We've SOLD our best player, he's staying to have his operation though. We haven't spent a SQUILLION quid on a MARQUEE signing. It's all going to HELL in a HANDCART and theres no bloody decent CHEESE.

PANIC PANIC its all excrement

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 85
aldi_01
August 5, 2022, 11:34am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Comedy gold this thread…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 85
chaos33
August 5, 2022, 11:41am
Barley Wine Drinker

Can't you SEE. Don't you UNDERSTAND.

We LOST a game. We've SOLD our best player, he's staying to have his operation though. We haven't spent a SQUILLION quid on a MARQUEE signing. It's all going to HELL in a HANDCART and theres no bloody decent CHEESE.

PANIC PANIC its all excrement

😂

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 85
coddy60
August 5, 2022, 11:43am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +652
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from aldi_01
Comedy gold this thread…

Was just thinking the same, can tell school holidays have started...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 85
acko338
August 5, 2022, 11:53am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
Buy an expensive striker who then breaks a leg in their first or second game - anyone remember Martin Pringle ??

Remember Chesterfield last year?

We will probably bring in the likes of Sam Bell or similar to try and develop another team's player.

I will not be surprised to find out that Hurst and/or others are contacting the likes of Aston Villa, Sunderland, Hull, Bristol City, and now Luton, to see which players they would be happy to.loan out to a caring Div 2 team, to bring on, develop, and harden up to full league football, with little risk to the parent club.

We may still find ourselves paying out for higher level wages than ours for a young development team player, with no guarantee of instant success.

Would that be considered any form of marquee signing...  ?? - no......but if Hurst unearths a hidden gem??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 85
Rodley Mariner
August 5, 2022, 11:54am
Special Brew Drinker
Eight weeks ago - 'That was the best two weeks in my 89 years as a Town fan'.

One competitive game later - 'The owners and manager need to start repaying my loyalty a bit more'.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 85
headingly_mariner
August 5, 2022, 11:54am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Hysterical knicker wetting
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 85
chaos33
August 5, 2022, 12:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
To be fair, isn’t it just the usual couple of old moaners?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 85
acko338
August 5, 2022, 1:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
In all honesty, who would have honestly backed us to be promoted through 3 massive "against all odds" play off games - and who keeps thinking that it is still a dream situation  but now frighteningly real?

No, it's real, so everything has to upgrade within 8 weeks for management staff, players, new Directors, etc

Is it realistic to think that we are going to go on a run, and going for another promotion season?

A sudden turn of fortune, with a run of injuries, that sudden transfer, the dislocated shoulder problem, struggling to find replacement forward(s) going into the end of the transfer window - these are all things that will need to be overcome in order to hold our own, let alone aim for top 7 !!

Look again at the end of September, give everyone a fair chance to acclimatise to the higher level, see who Hurst can eventually persuade to join Town.

Then, let's return to a lively up to date debate in the team's fortunes !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 85
MuddyWaters
August 5, 2022, 1:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
To be fair, isn’t it just the usual couple of old moaners?

If being concerned about a lack of squad depth in certain areas makes me an ‘old moaner’, count me in.

There’s extenuating circumstances with the late end to last season and I totally understand that but I don’t like to see us looking unprepared.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 85
WelwynGardener
August 5, 2022, 3:05pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 6
I'm an old bloke. When I was younger, life was played out in a hurry; everything needed to be done 'now'. But I'm wiser now, I think. Life isn't always how i would like it to be, but 'it is what it is''. I would guess there are so many moving parts to PH's search for a truly prolific number 9 that it would consume every waking hour if he let it. He and his deputy, I'm sure, are doing their very best to find the 'right' player, the one with a 'spark', the one who will 'mesh' into the team and who will accept team discipline. Good luck to them in their efforts. People like me, who sit on the sidelines, should perhaps just give these guys the space to do their work.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 85
Lost in Lincoln
August 5, 2022, 3:22pm
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

If being concerned about a lack of squad depth in certain areas makes me an ‘old moaner’, count me in.

There’s extenuating circumstances with the late end to last season and I totally understand that but I don’t like to see us looking unprepared.

There's 3 weeks of the transfer window left plus the loan market.  Chill.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 48 - 85
MuddyWaters
August 5, 2022, 3:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Lost in Lincoln

There's 3 weeks of the transfer window left plus the loan market.  Chill.

Transfer window ends when it ends. Including loans.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 85
Lost in Lincoln
August 5, 2022, 3:43pm
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Transfer window ends when it ends. Including loans.

Still 3 weeks to go.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 50 - 85
HertsGTFC
August 5, 2022, 3:47pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,636
Gold Stars: 217
6 pages on an OP that was blindly obvious?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 85
ska face
August 5, 2022, 4:03pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,342
Gold Stars: 824
Quoted from HertsGTFC
6 pages on an OP that was blindly obvious?

I’d advise you to avoid the “let’s count to a million thread”
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 85
LocalLadGTFC
August 5, 2022, 4:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +3,642
Gold Stars: 124
Based off Instagram.. it looks like Mcatee isn’t in need of a shoulder operation.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 53 - 85
Northbank Mariner
August 5, 2022, 4:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC
Based off Instagram.. it looks like Mcatee isn’t in need of a shoulder operation.

If you're going off last night's post, that was his brother James...unless you've seen something I haven't?🤔🤔
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 85
livvo
August 5, 2022, 5:15pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +133
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from wiggers

Who do you suggest we splash money on? Genuine question
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 85
Northbank Mariner
August 5, 2022, 6:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
"It’s about pushing on, it’s the reason Hurst never stuck around last time. We need to keep improving. We are not going to score enough goals with the current crop of forward players. Action is needed now! Pay the money sign a decent striker"...

I need to address this stupidist of stupid statements...
Hurst left because of lack investment and an owner who reneged on contracts of our best players.
He left because of Fenty, that's the crux of the matter, so before you go shouting off, engage brain before fingers, please.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 85
wiggers
August 5, 2022, 6:58pm
Snakebite drinker
I can see a lot of people don’t agree with my original post about the owners stumping up the cash required to purchase a quality striker. There aren’t any apparently…..😂
I stand by what I said, we are not going to score enough goals in this division without one. Plenty of lower league clubs have decent strikers, I don’t think it’s too much to ask that we do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 85
ginnywings
August 5, 2022, 7:34pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
I think PH is trying to find a suitable experienced striker to sign for us, but is obviously finding it difficult to secure one and the nearer we get to deadline day, the more likely it will be that we take one or two on loan instead.

There will hopefully be a few that become available as the deadline approaches and they find themselves down the pecking order, or not got the move they wanted and reassess their sights.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 85
MuddyWaters
August 5, 2022, 7:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
I think PH is trying to find a suitable experienced striker to sign for us, but is obviously finding it difficult to secure one and the nearer we get to deadline day, the more likely it will be that we take one or two on loan instead.

There will hopefully be a few that become available as the deadline approaches and they find themselves down the pecking order, or not got the move they wanted and reassess their sights.

I hear/see/read names like Sam Winnall and Tom Elliott and think their agents are hanging on for a maximum payout. Playing the game, hopefully it ends up with us getting a decent, experienced striker and a couple of attack minded loans.
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 85
chaos33
August 5, 2022, 7:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Tom Elliot’s stats are gash, and he’s 31

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 85
MuddyWaters
August 5, 2022, 8:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

Just repeating names that are getting mentioned, he wouldn’t be for me either.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 85
Posh Harry
August 5, 2022, 8:40pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,327
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from chaos33

I’m not for one minute saying Tom Elliot is the answer, but Ryan Taylor’s stats were also gash and he was one of our best players last year. He didn’t score many goals but he was the focus to bring the attacking midfielders into play and allowing us to play the way hurst wanted to play.

It’s not all about the stats (unless your name is golly)9
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 85
MuddyWaters
August 5, 2022, 8:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Posh Harry

I’m not for one minute saying Tom Elliot is the answer, but Ryan Taylor’s stats were also gash and he was one of our best players last year. He didn’t score many goals but he was the focus to bring the attacking midfielders into play and allowing us to play the way hurst wanted to play.

It’s not all about the stats (unless your name is golly)9

Don’t worry. Chaos seems to like picking fault.
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 85
Mayaman
August 6, 2022, 4:51am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,259
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from MuddyWaters

But Hurst is working on it.  The club is dealing with it.  I am sure they are not all playing darts thinking it's job done.  Remember our crap spell last season.  Everybody started moaning.  We turned that around, we will turn this run of bad form around too (1 game)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 85
Mariner John
August 6, 2022, 7:48am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Approval: +629
Gold Stars: 51
I fail to see Hurst's problem in finding a 20 goal a season striker. As I believe last season there was ONE in the Vanarama and ONE in League 2. So it should be easy  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 85
Stranger in the Park
August 6, 2022, 10:54am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: -189
To add fuel to the fire , it sadly appears that the club owners are more intent on building the corporate team than the playing one, with their seemingly constant notices on the club site for executive vacancies and ancillary staff. It reminds me of the Bignot era, who clearly couldn't walk the walk, and tried to surround himself with others who could cover his failings - until JF twigged him trying to spend his money.  

Controversial -  yes , but I know I'm not the first to notice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 85
MuddyWaters
August 6, 2022, 11:09am
Barley Wine Drinker
To add fuel to the fire , it sadly appears that the club owners are more intent on building the corporate team than the playing one, with their seemingly constant notices on the club site for executive vacancies and ancillary staff. It reminds me of the Bignot era, who clearly couldn't walk the walk, and tried to surround himself with others who could cover his failings - until JF twigged him trying to spend his money.  

It would be nice to know if these appointments affect the playing budget
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 85
Lost in Lincoln
August 6, 2022, 11:15am
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

They would have to, surely?  We have *a budget* as a club, so all expenditure has to come out of this, no?

I appreciate there will be some fluidity with increased income streams etc.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 68 - 85
Rodley Mariner
August 6, 2022, 11:34am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Are you seriously asking that they should justify any non-playing appointments with an explanation of what impact it will have on the playing budget? Do you want people who are going to try to build a professional acting and sustainable club or just someone to spunk a load of money on a couple of names you recognise?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 85
HerveJosse
August 6, 2022, 11:47am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,123
Gold Stars: 134

We are going to need a bigger office!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 85
chaos33
August 6, 2022, 12:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Don’t worry. Chaos seems to like picking fault.

I didn’t pick fault. There’s an irony in you saying that which seems to have escaped you, given your propensity to perpetual criticism of all manner of things.

I merely stated that the player’s stats were not very good. I have no actual informed opinion as to his ability as a striker, having never seen him play.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 85
chaos33
August 6, 2022, 12:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Cobblers.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 85
MuddyWaters
August 6, 2022, 12:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Are you seriously asking that they should justify any non-playing appointments with an explanation of what impact it will have on the playing budget? Do you want people who are going to try to build a professional acting and sustainable club or just someone to spunk a load of money on a couple of names you recognise?

It’s their business and they can do what they like but I’m not aware that prevents others from having a point of view, does it?
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 85
MrThirsty
August 6, 2022, 12:10pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +236
Gold Stars: 4

Don’t think crass stupid trolling counts as being controversial
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 85
chaos33
August 6, 2022, 12:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

It’s their business and they can do what they like but I’m not aware that prevents others from having a point of view, does it?

He didn’t say you shouldn’t have a point of view - he just challenged it. That’s ok isn’t it?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 85
DB
August 6, 2022, 12:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.54
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,879
Gold Stars: 383

Have you considered that the corporate team was spread that thin on the ground and had to cover multiple roles for the previous regime? We now have very successful professionals charge who can see where the none playing staff need bolstering. This has already been done on the playing side, as you know there was only Hurst, Doig and Moore. We now have a team of staff to support the players.

1878 put the field operation first and foremost and are now concentrating on the non playing side. As JS has said they have a plan.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 85
monkeyboy
August 6, 2022, 12:17pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -174
Gold Stars: 26
Give essel a game. He’s a striker. He’s in the first team squad.
He knows where the goal is, we all happy to take other kids on from other teams but what about our own. If they never play they will never move on.
Who knows he could be a revaluation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 85
marinerjase
August 6, 2022, 12:26pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,608
Gold Stars: 146
Quoted from MuddyWaters

All you do is look for negatives..faults..

How tiresome that must be.

There’s a group of about 5 or 10 on here of same mindset.

Each to their own and all that I guess.

Can’t wait to read another meltdown at 5pm..

Honest..

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 85
Wedidntdidwe
August 6, 2022, 12:33pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Approval: +372
Gold Stars: 22

Our owners said they aren't football people so PH controls the playing side of business. Would you like an advert on the club site saying "Striker wanted, must score at least 20 goals per season, wage negotiable, applications to be posted on the Fishy for approval before shortlisting to the management "
Everyone is entitled to an opinion but when that opinion is just plain wrong try accepting it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 85
WOZOFGRIMSBY
August 6, 2022, 12:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from DB

1878 put the field operation first and foremost and are now concentrating on the non playing side. As JS has said they have a plan.

I think things pre 1878 were a bit…..

Attachment: 454e6f1be4494dccbc1538ab33ea91fe_4144.webp
97 downloads   -   Size: 24.31 KB

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 85
MuddyWaters
August 6, 2022, 12:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from marinerjase

All you do is look for negatives..faults..

How tiresome that must be.

There’s a group of about 5 or 10 on here of same mindset.

Each to their own and all that I guess.

Can’t wait to read another meltdown at 5pm..

Honest..

I’m more than happy with loads of aspects of the club but I’m not going to stop being concerned about the various weaknesses in the squad. If that offends you then so be it and if you’re happy with everything then good for you. I’ll just remind you that the most important outcome at a football club is the result. That’s why I buy our season tickets. Football. Results.
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 85
forza ivano
August 6, 2022, 2:00pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,140
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I’m more than happy with loads of aspects of the club but I’m not going to stop being concerned about the various weaknesses in the squad. If that offends you then so be it and if you’re happy with everything then good for you. I’ll just remind you that the most important outcome at a football club is the result. That’s why I buy our season tickets. Football. Results.

really - so  winning a few games is more important than the existence of the club is it?
Far more important that 1878 are trying to improve the club on and off the pitch, rather than spunking a load of money on a couple of players for the sake of it

ps - could you, and the other doubters, please tell me which of the recent advertised vacancies are unnecessary?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 85
Rodley Mariner
August 6, 2022, 2:19pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I’ll just remind you that the most important outcome at a football club is the result. That’s why I buy our season tickets. Football. Results.

We literally got promoted two months ago.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 85
Maringer
August 6, 2022, 2:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
I think the best way to go about things is if 1878 write a post on the Fishy for every new non-playing role they want to create at the club and the Fishy collective can then vote on it to decide whether it is required or not.

OK, I know that Stockwood and Pettit have decades of experience running successful businesses, but I'm sure they could still learn a thing or two from some random guys on a football forum.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 85
jamesgtfc
August 6, 2022, 6:05pm
Vodka Drinker
A lot of these positions we've been recruiting for are just getting us somewhere near where other clubs at our level are.

Debbie, Andrew and Jason should have very little day to day involvement with the more simple things, they should be making more difficult and meaningful decisions which is why these appointments are necessary.

I'd also say that a well staffed commercial department should more than pay for itself if everyone is competent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 85
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The one thing missing

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.