9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
wiggers
August 4, 2022, 10:35pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +460
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Yeah the fans deserve something back after the disappointment of last season.

It’s about pushing on, it’s the reason Hurst never stuck around last time. We need to keep improving. We are not going to score enough goals with the current crop of forward players. Action is needed now! Pay the money sign a decent striker.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 85
MuddyWaters
August 4, 2022, 10:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230

I do agree as I have argued on the Dallas rumour thread. At this level we are not talking about life-changing sums of money really, are we? We have been waiting a long time for a marquee signing of a striker and with the money the fans have shelled out last season and this, I personally don't think it is too much to ask to get a recognised striker who is in demand and will therefore cost money in a transfer fee and/or wages.

I think Hurst is like me - he likes a bargain and the challenge that goes into finding it - but an in-demand striker would be nice all the same.

Not a popular view but I agree.

Seems like the bombardment of good news allows some to believe that we can manage with a 34 year old at the end of his career and, whilst I’m a massive Ryan Taylor fan, I think even he’d admit that he’s not a 40 game a season player any more.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 85
Rodley Mariner
August 4, 2022, 10:38pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,215
Gold Stars: 176
Nobody thinks that they just don't act like spoilt children who want a new toy immediately. Maybe some of us just think we should show a bit of trust in the owners and manager having been promoted a whole 8 weeks ago.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 85
MuddyWaters
August 4, 2022, 10:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Nobody thinks that they just don't act like spoilt children who want a new toy immediately. Maybe some of us just think we should show a bit of trust in the owners and manager having been promoted a whole 8 weeks ago.

We have record season ticket sales, promotion prize money and have sold every shirt we can get hold of. In addition, we’ve sold our star player - isn’t that sufficient reason not to write off the first 6 games of the season? We are behind the game already but it’s ok, we’ve repainted the Main Stand.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 85
wiggers
August 4, 2022, 10:45pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +460
Gold Stars: 11
We’ve had no issue filling every other position. I happen to think one of PH’s best attributes is player identification and acquisition. Strikers cost money, Paul Hurst will have identified a few he’d like I’m sure. Time to spend.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 85
Wedidntdidwe
August 4, 2022, 10:51pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +372
Gold Stars: 22
Halfway through the transfer window and we've signed 9 players.
Could you unhappy guys name a few of the players we should sign?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 85
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
August 4, 2022, 10:51pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,784
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from wiggers

It’s about pushing on, it’s the reason Hurst never stuck around last time. We need to keep improving. We are not going to score enough goals with the current crop of forward players. Action is needed now! Pay the money sign a decent striker.

In the past 18 months how many ‘marquee’ strikers could we have signed?

How many have other L2 / NL rivals signed?

I can only really think of Mullin, Palmer and Tshimanga and all of them were outside of our transfer and wage budget.

There are hardly any strikers on the market. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

It’s why Liverpool have spent £85m on Núñez on the back of one prolific season in Portugal. Why Barcelona have turned to a 34 year old Lewandowski. Why Chelsea are desperately chasing Aubameyang. Part of me thinks City have signed Häland to prevent their rivals from having him.

It’s why Mitrovic was being paid £100k pw in the Championship last season and why Wrexham are paying £x pw for Mullin and Palmer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 85
MuddyWaters
August 4, 2022, 11:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Wedidntdidwe
Halfway through the transfer window and we've signed 9 players.
Could you unhappy guys name a few of the players we should sign?  

Not exactly true. We’ve signed Glennon, Khan, Wearne, Morris, Maher, Green and Orsi as permanent, Kiernan and Smith (replacing Smith) as loans and let Wright, Sousa, Spokes, McKeown, John Lewis, Burgess, Crookes, Fox out as well as Abrahams, Dieseruvwe, Jones and Raikhy. That’s 12 out and 8 in.

I’m all for Hurst making quality signings but we’ve also effectively lost McAtee for 3 months and Khan and Orsi are medium term injuries too. It’s not the best way to start a season, is it?
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 85
jamesgtfc
August 4, 2022, 11:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,814
Gold Stars: 187
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Not exactly true. We’ve signed Glennon, Khan, Wearne, Morris, Maher, Green and Orsi as permanent, Kiernan and Smith (replacing Smith) as loans and let Wright, Sousa, Spokes, McKeown, John Lewis, Burgess, Crookes, Fox out as well as Abrahams, Dieseruvwe, Jones and Raikhy. That’s 12 out and 8 in.

I’m all for Hurst making quality signings but we’ve also effectively lost McAtee for 3 months and Khan and Orsi are medium term injuries too. It’s not the best way to start a season, is it?

Northampton will probably be up there again this season so there is a strong possibility that we lose on Saturday too. If we do, I hope I don't make the mistake of visiting this forum Saturday night.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 85
MuddyWaters
August 4, 2022, 11:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Northampton will probably be up there again this season so there is a strong possibility that we lose on Saturday too. If we do, I hope I don't make the mistake of visiting this forum Saturday night.

I’m not sure you’ll find many fan’s forums that celebrate a defeat if I’m honest.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 85
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The one thing missing

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.