9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 4, 2022, 11:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 73
The short turn around between seasons is clearly a contributing factor to not having in all the players we want and I have a feeling that, unlike last season, we are going to start this season pretty slowly and will be in and around our historical L2 position until October time.

After that I believe Hurst will have the midfield and forwards playing as he wants and the points will rack up. We all want to see what we consider to be exciting signings but we’re we that excited when McAtee came in? When Amond was signed? Would we have expected Jamille Matt to score over 20 goals in a L2 winning team or Kayden Jackson to play in the Championship?

Signing any player is a risk, and PH ensures these risks are minimal, but I feel they will come in and hopefully they will be of the required quality and once again come the end of the season we will be in or around the play offs. Not every side that ends up in the upper echelons start the season well and Mansfield and Brizzle Rovers were perfect examples of this just last season.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 85
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
August 4, 2022, 11:50pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +839
Gold Stars: 117
Yes but exactly the same situation happened last year and we never did get that elusive number 9 that everyone was wanting.

It didn't turn out too bad last year did it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 85
aussiej
August 5, 2022, 12:29am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +114
Gold Stars: 17
Its all about optimising your season. Not being prepared from the off probably leads to a slow start... Now fast forward to the end of the season and you miss out on the play offs by one point. Makes you wish you had got your start right dosen't it... We needed those forwards in a couple of weeks ago and failed to get them. We lost our best striker and it compounded the problem. Our other two are crocked and we have somehow contrived the situation when we go into our first game of the season at home with no first choice strikers...  Also if strikers are that hard to come by why release a player who scored 7 goals in 15 games... Strikers are available but generally they cost and there is the conundrum...  Do we stick or twist?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 85
tashee69
August 5, 2022, 1:04am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +955
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from aussiej
Also if strikers are that hard to come by why release a player who scored 7 goals in 15 games.

Let’s remember that before his games for us, he had an absolutely appalling record and when we signed him on loan, Hursts ability to find a striker was questioned. In my opinion, he did a job. He was a good option to come off the bench but was not up to league football.
We never actually released him, as he was never our player. If we hadn’t have gone up, I think he may have been offered a contract.

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 85
somersetmariner
August 5, 2022, 5:22am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +253
Gold Stars: 4
I think it’s fair to say that Paul Hurst and the board of directors know what they’re doing.

Every club up and down the land crave that marquee goalscoring striker.

To level criticism at the club for not signing one, suggests to me that the op is a few wigs short of a hairdressers !

you can take the boy out of grimsby......but you can't take grimsby out of his soul, his blood, his semen!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 85
DB
August 5, 2022, 6:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,997
Gold Stars: 386
I think the answer to the OT is that they are, like our shirts, high in demand and short in supply. I seem to recall Hurst mentioning in an interview that the likelihood is a loan striker from the championship or league one before the end of the transfer window.

Patience is the answer for I feel sure he'll bring somebody in.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 85
LondonMariner43
August 5, 2022, 8:06am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,942
Gold Stars: 64
Some of the negative posters on here are beyond belief.

Try listening to interviews where Jason says he wants us to sign an amazing striker and how he and Andrew just put an extra £500k into the club and that all extra revenue will be reinvested.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 85
MuddyWaters
August 5, 2022, 8:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from LondonMariner43
Some of the negative posters on here are beyond belief.

Try listening to interviews where Jason says he wants us to sign an amazing striker and how he and Andrew just put an extra £500k into the club and that all extra revenue will be reinvested.

Are you saying other chairmen wouldn’t want ‘an amazing striker’? Of course, he’s going to say that.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 85
Lost in Lincoln
August 5, 2022, 8:26am
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +372
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from wiggers
Evening, if it’s that obvious why we still dicking around? The fans have done their bit, record season ticket sales and sold out shirts. Time for some cash to be splashed on a striker.

Every club in the league wants a 20 goal striker, they don't grow on trees.

I mean we could just sign 45 strikers ala Holloway and hope one turns into a gem - *spoiler alert, they won't*.

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 85
Zmariner
August 5, 2022, 8:32am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,127
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Northampton will probably be up there again this season so there is a strong possibility that we lose on Saturday too. If we do, I hope I don't make the mistake of visiting this forum Saturday night.

Bet you do …..😀
It’s like the rumours thread, truly 20 odd pages of absolute nobrot but I still keep reading it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 85
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The one thing missing

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.