Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Ukraine War
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot, the driver and 13 Guests

Ukraine War

This thread currently has 21,926 views. Print
46 Pages Prev ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 Next All Recommend Thread
forza ivano
March 16, 2022, 8:27pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from Maringer
In not entirely unrelated news, Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe is apparently being released after 6 years.

I suspect this is an indication that we'll pay the Iranians back for those Chieftain tanks which were never supplied following the revolution, sanctions will be loosened and Iranian oil will start to flow once again quite soon.

Hopefully, a peaceful solution can be found in Ukraine but Putin may have really screwed over the Russian economy in the longer-term.

it has already been paid. Once the Vienna nuclear deal talks had sputtered to a halt UK decided they were no longer going to go in lockstep with the U.S. which had previously prevented the deal from being done
Within a week the money has been paid and she has been freed. And to think this could and should've been settled years ago ,which would've meant that she wouldn't have been detained in the first place..............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 380 - 453
Limerick Mariner
March 16, 2022, 11:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,743
Gold Stars: 138
Interesting debate on the Moral Maze R4 tonight including a question posed on whether the British public's more proactive and welcoming response to aiding Ukraine and welcoming refugees compared to the response to Afghanistan and Syria was racist?

So why has there been a different reaction? Here is something that occured to me when young migrant men started to arrive across the channel from Syria and now from Afghanistan - why are you here, why aren't you fighting for your homeland? I have then tried to reconcile that and consider the ethics and morality of that thought. Of course, it's all more complex than that, but when it comes to the general perception of us Brits as a nation, of Ukrainian refugees against Afghan and Syrians migrants / refugees, it actually may be quite simple and I don't think it is race. On MM the differences in the perception of nation defending itself against an external aggressor compared to those who may be perceived as economic migrants was highlighted.

The bravery of the Ukrainian nation is out there in media all the time; all able bodied men between 18 and 60 are required to stay and fight. I personally marvel at this. I think this is part of the reason for a different response to the Ukrainian refugees - the men are fighting for every inch of their country, we need to welcome Ukrainian women and children.

Syria was a complex multi-factional civil war but Afghanistan is more clear cut. The Afghan army, unwisely with hindsight, were given 80 billion dollars worth of ordnance by the US and rolled over in days to the Taliban (who now have all those arms). If every non-Taliban aligned man between 18 and 60 had stood up to fight the Taliban for the better lives that their sisters, daughters and partners would have without the Taliban, would they have taken the country at all let alone so easily. Or maybe the male population didn't believe in those freedoms enough to fight.

It may also be, not race, but (argued on MM) that the Ukrainians are linked by us to the many eastern Europeans who now contribute massively to our economy. With the Poles, in this country in particular, there is a very strong connection - they stood up to the Nazis and the Russians, fought alongside us where they could stayed here after the war in huge numbers, and then as a nation stood up to the Soviets again through Lech Wałęsa.

And then there was was one witness (as they call them on MM) who seemed to pushing for some kind of John Lennon Imagine type utopia - very nice (and a great song) but with the current state of the world sadly it's away with fairies.

Worth a listen on catch-up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 381 - 453
KingstonMariner
March 17, 2022, 12:06am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.05
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Seems a pretty reasonable assessment. By extension could you apply the same logic to the reaction of the other east European countries who have welcomed Ukrainian refugees? Obviously there’s the added factor of their own position as potentially next on the list. With the complication of how the African and Asian refugees from Ukraine were dealt with.

Re the link to “to the many eastern Europeans who now contribute massively to our economy”, there are many, including some on here, who claimed they were not massively contributing.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 382 - 453
Humbercod
March 18, 2022, 6:50am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,501
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
Interesting debate on the Moral Maze R4 tonight including a question posed on whether the British public's more proactive and welcoming response to aiding Ukraine and welcoming refugees compared to the response to Afghanistan and Syria was racist?

So why has there been a different reaction? Here is something that occured to me when young migrant men started to arrive across the channel from Syria and now from Afghanistan - why are you here, why aren't you fighting for your homeland? I have then tried to reconcile that and consider the ethics and morality of that thought. Of course, it's all more complex than that, but when it comes to the general perception of us Brits as a nation, of Ukrainian refugees against Afghan and Syrians migrants / refugees, it actually may be quite simple and I don't think it is race. On MM the differences in the perception of nation defending itself against an external aggressor compared to those who may be perceived as economic migrants was highlighted.

The bravery of the Ukrainian nation is out there in media all the time; all able bodied men between 18 and 60 are required to stay and fight. I personally marvel at this. I think this is part of the reason for a different response to the Ukrainian refugees - the men are fighting for every inch of their country, we need to welcome Ukrainian women and children.

Syria was a complex multi-factional civil war but Afghanistan is more clear cut. The Afghan army, unwisely with hindsight, were given 80 billion dollars worth of ordnance by the US and rolled over in days to the Taliban (who now have all those arms). If every non-Taliban aligned man between 18 and 60 had stood up to fight the Taliban for the better lives that their sisters, daughters and partners would have without the Taliban, would they have taken the country at all let alone so easily. Or maybe the male population didn't believe in those freedoms enough to fight.

It may also be, not race, but (argued on MM) that the Ukrainians are linked by us to the many eastern Europeans who now contribute massively to our economy. With the Poles, in this country in particular, there is a very strong connection - they stood up to the Nazis and the Russians, fought alongside us where they could stayed here after the war in huge numbers, and then as a nation stood up to the Soviets again through Lech Wałęsa.

And then there was was one witness (as they call them on MM) who seemed to pushing for some kind of John Lennon Imagine type utopia - very nice (and a great song) but with the current state of the world sadly it's away with fairies.

Worth a listen on catch-up.

Interesting post. Although I do take issue with the old ‘they stood up to the Nazis and the Russians’ storyline! I don’t know if they have started teaching this in schools yet but I’m not in favour of whitewashing history.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 383 - 453
codcheeky
March 18, 2022, 8:57am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,262
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Humbercod

Interesting post. Although I do take issue with the old ‘they stood up to the Nazis and the Russians’ storyline! I don’t know if they have started teaching this in schools yet but I’m not in favour of whitewashing history.

It fits our propaganda at the moment however the Ukranian Nazis from WW2 were  notoriously savage toward Jews.
What's a little revisionist writing of history to fit the narrative though, we all lap it up because everything is black and white and we are supporting the good guys aren't we ?
Private Message
Reply: 384 - 453
KingstonMariner
March 18, 2022, 9:53am
Meths Drinker
I agree if history is presented in anything but a nuanced way it is usually wrong. It’s fair to say there was a spectrum of responses to WWII in Ukraine. Some nationalists jumped on the chance to stick one on the Soviets, some went further and were murderous to Jews, Bolsheviks and many others, some fought against both Soviets and Nazis without being Nazi-like, some were wholly loyal to the SU. The problem comes when the exploits of one group in WWII (80 years ago) are used to justify the invasion.

The stories about Nazis in Ukraine are being propagated by Moscow to die doubt in other countries. Make enough people doubt in order to weaken resolve. Standard operating procedure. It’s all part of the wider Maskirovka doctrine.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 385 - 453
Limerick Mariner
March 18, 2022, 10:42am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,743
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from Humbercod

I maybe wasn’t clear that was a reference to the Poles in WW2 not the Ukrainians.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 386 - 453
codcheeky
March 18, 2022, 10:56am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,262
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I agree if history is presented in anything but a nuanced way it is usually wrong. It’s fair to say there was a spectrum of responses to WWII in Ukraine. Some nationalists jumped on the chance to stick one on the Soviets, some went further and were murderous to Jews, Bolsheviks and many others, some fought against both Soviets and Nazis without being Nazi-like, some were wholly loyal to the SU. The problem comes when the exploits of one group in WWII (80 years ago) are used to justify the invasion.

The stories about Nazis in Ukraine are being propagated by Moscow to die doubt in other countries. Make enough people doubt in order to weaken resolve. Standard operating procedure. It’s all part of the wider Maskirovka doctrine.

Absolutely both sides using the same event with a different narrative, what we are told by our media will always colour our views, history as they say is written by the victors, but when the victors are both us and Russia there are still two tales of the same event. And no country likes looking back at the less savoury episodes of their own history. The Russians are not forward in mentioning the famine caused by Stalin that resulted in similar Ukrainian deaths in the 1930’s
Private Message
Reply: 387 - 453
KingstonMariner
March 18, 2022, 2:49pm
Meths Drinker
‘Ah but….that was the Soviet Union. A different state. Not modern Russia.’

When it suits the RF is the inheritor of the Russian Empire and the USSR. They even claim the Kievan Rus when it suits for God’s sake. All the nasty stuff. No no no. Nothing to do with them.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 388 - 453
Stadium
March 19, 2022, 7:53pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 389 - 453
46 Pages Prev ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Ukraine War

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.