9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
October 31, 2021, 12:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Is there a ceiling on how many loans you can take?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 87
golfer
October 31, 2021, 5:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,428
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Simon
Andy Carroll is a free agent at the moment, still only 32 could do a job at this level

We should be able to get him for £50 a week and 100 Tesco points
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 87
Ipswin
October 31, 2021, 5:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from golfer

I'd want him to pay us a lot more than that

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 87
Caveman
October 31, 2021, 5:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +767
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from golfer

............. and he could bring his own striped shirt with him .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 87
ginnywings
October 31, 2021, 5:42pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,126
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Thought it was 6, so we are alright there. We must be because the players PH was trying to bring in last week would have been loans I imagine.

As for signing a striker for a fee, I would like to think that if PH identified one, then the board would put up the money, especially as we are making way more than we could have imagined at the start of the season with all the extra fans through the turnstiles.

Stockport signed Sarcevic from Bolton, so It's doable.

The top teams in this league are now spending the sorts of money unheard of until recently and there was much made about Chesterfield paying what they did for Tshimanga, but he is quickly repaying that investment with 9 goals already.

Maybe we could prise away someone like Waters or Campbell from Woking.

Ultimately though, it's solely down to PH to identify the correct fit. As good as we have been this season, we are still in the building process yet and there is room for improvement in more than just forward areas I think.

We need to use the next 2 or 3 weeks to bring someone in before we hit that run of tough games against most of the top sides.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 87
Abdul19
October 31, 2021, 5:53pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,560
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Not sure, but you can only have 5 in the matchday 16.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 87
darren9
October 31, 2021, 5:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +607
Gold Stars: 39
It's easy to spend someone else's money though isn't it?

For what it's worth (which is very little, I'm just a voice on a message board) I don't think the answer is throwing money at a striker and I don't think that's the model we're going to go for and whilst the budget is no doubt healthy we can't compete with the likes of Wrexham or Stockport and pay the wages they're paying to prise people from elsewhere. I'm not sure I'd want us to be so reckless with the budget that we would try either, it seems that we're aiming for a sustainable and safe operating structure.

Beyond that I'm not sure how easy it is to 'go get a striker'. It's the easiest thing in the world to talk about on social media or a forum. It's easy to do on FM or FIFA but in real life with real people I'm not sure its as simple as that. What is clear is that Paul Hurst is trying, he's been knocked back by a couple of players and he's discounted others himself. he's alluded that this may be down to their personalities/attitudes. What PH does build in a team is a work ethic and a bond. I don't think he'd take someone who isn't the right fit. It must be difficult to persuade someone to move at this time of year, we're all thinking about Christmas aren't we? Would you want to move away from your family at this time of year?  Footballers are just people, with thoughts and emotions and feelings, I think sometimes we forget that.

I agree that we need strengthening or help in the striking options, especially now McAtee is injured and Taylor is having to be managed in a return but I trust Paul Hurst and I trust the board to get the right person in, and if that person isn't out there then I'd rather we didn't spend the money for the sake of it and we make do with what we've got.

Twitter: @DarrenLeeNewman
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 87
ginnywings
October 31, 2021, 6:15pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,126
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from darren9
It's easy to spend someone else's money though isn't it?

For what it's worth (which is very little, I'm just a voice on a message board) I don't think the answer is throwing money at a striker and I don't think that's the model we're going to go for and whilst the budget is no doubt healthy we can't compete with the likes of Wrexham or Stockport and pay the wages they're paying to prise people from elsewhere. I'm not sure I'd want us to be so reckless with the budget that we would try either, it seems that we're aiming for a sustainable and safe operating structure.

Beyond that I'm not sure how easy it is to 'go get a striker'. It's the easiest thing in the world to talk about on social media or a forum. It's easy to do on FM or FIFA but in real life with real people I'm not sure its as simple as that. What is clear is that Paul Hurst is trying, he's been knocked back by a couple of players and he's discounted others himself. he's alluded that this may be down to their personalities/attitudes. What PH does build in a team is a work ethic and a bond. I don't think he'd take someone who isn't the right fit. It must be difficult to persuade someone to move at this time of year, we're all thinking about Christmas aren't we? Would you want to move away from your family at this time of year?  Footballers are just people, with thoughts and emotions and feelings, I think sometimes we forget that.

I agree that we need strengthening or help in the striking options, especially now McAtee is injured and Taylor is having to be managed in a return but I trust Paul Hurst and I trust the board to get the right person in, and if that person isn't out there then I'd rather we didn't spend the money for the sake of it and we make do with what we've got.

Is it other peoples money though? The fans by and large fund the club through ticket sales and sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate. We have responded to what we have seen on the pitch and turned up in numbers not heard of for a long time. The club has made far more money than they could have imagined and would probably be willing to fund a modest transfer, should one be identified.

I'm not talking about spending a quarter of a million on a striker like Chesterfield did. We got Hearn and Bogle for considerably less than that, because we took them from clubs that were glad of the money and happy for their star striker to get a move that enhanced their career.

I think sometimes Hurst can be a bit stubborn in that regard, but if you stand still, you go backwards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 87
HertsGTFC
October 31, 2021, 6:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Thought it was 6, so we are alright there. We must be because the players PH was trying to bring in last week would have been loans I imagine.

As for signing a striker for a fee, I would like to think that if PH identified one, then the board would put up the money, especially as we are making way more than we could have imagined at the start of the season with all the extra fans through the turnstiles.

Stockport signed Sarcevic from Bolton, so It's doable.

The top teams in this league are now spending the sorts of money unheard of until recently and there was much made about Chesterfield paying what they did for Tshimanga, but he is quickly repaying that investment with 9 goals already.

Maybe we could prise away someone like Waters or Campbell from Woking.

Ultimately though, it's solely down to PH to identify the correct fit. As good as we have been this season, we are still in the building process yet and there is room for improvement in more than just forward areas I think.

We need to use the next 2 or 3 weeks to bring someone in before we hit that run of tough games against most of the top sides.

Jason did go on record recently to say if we need an addition the board will support it. I doubt we’d get Waters as Halifax have realistic ambitions. Campbell looks decent as did the big lad Woking had up front with him when we played them.

I think he’ll bring someone in as long as they fit the bill in terms of ability and attitude and more importantly they’re match fit or as close as they could be.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 87
HertsGTFC
October 31, 2021, 6:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Is it other peoples money though? The fans by and large fund the club through ticket sales and sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate. We have responded to what we have seen on the pitch and turned up in numbers not heard of for a long time. The club has made far more money than they could have imagined and would probably be willing to fund a modest transfer, should one be identified.

I'm not talking about spending a quarter of a million on a striker like Chesterfield did. We got Hearn and Bogle for considerably less than that, because we took them from clubs that were glad of the money and happy for their star striker to get a move that enhanced their career.

I think sometimes Hurst can be a bit stubborn in that regard, but if you stand still, you go backwards.

I agree with a lot of what you say here but saying Hurst is stubborn is a bit off the mark in my view. I’d describe it as picky but stubborn suggests he’d cut his nose off to sought his face which he wouldn’t do, why would he “self harm” our chances of success.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 87
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We need to bring in that extra striker ASAP

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.