pontoonlew
November 1, 2021, 7:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,984
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from diehardmariner
I didn't actually think it was the striking position that was the problem on Saturday, it was the absence of McAtee.  

LJL did what he could but was badly isolated without someone genuinely operating just off him.  Fox was deployed further upfield and did his best, but not his game and he got sucked back into midfield (a criticism that's been levelled at McAtee at times this season too).  Taylor came on and was equally as isolated and I felt actually got less involved than LJL.  

It doesn't matter who we play up top, be it LJL or Taylor, it's the gap left by McAtee that's the real issue.  If he's not available we need to either be able to replace him in a like-for-like way or change the system to adapt.

Like-for-like wise I think the only person we've got the in building who could do that role is Scannell, unfortunately he's never fit so we probably need to give up on that idea.  We therefore, in my opinion anyway, need to adjust the system to make sure we're not reliant on a guy floating about in the hole to make things happen.  

Other than McAtee, one of our biggest strengths this season has been our ability to basically outrun and dominate teams in midfield.  It's essential we don't lose that either.

If we want to still boss the midfield and be able to press and create from other areas, I think we need to look at overloading from wide.  That's going to either have to come from having the full-backs pushing forward more and/or wingbacks with wingers operating much higher and closer to Taylor/LJL.

I know Hurst likes what Clifton brings from wide, but he isn't a real attacking threat.  Equally so with McAtee's energy missing from the central areas we need to realign that a little.  I'd like to see Clifton in a midfield 3 with Hunt and Fox.  Sousa and Bapaga either side of the striker for a genuine front 3.  Also the full-backs pushing forward into the space vacated by the wingers moving forward more.

It all sounds reasonable and you put a good argument forward but if the ball didn’t constantly ping off LJL, it would’ve allowed the forward players to get forward.

As it happened, the ball didn’t stay up there long enough to get the wide players involved.

I also thought a key part was Clifton not being at his best, Bapaga should’ve been on way before he was.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 87
louth_in_the_south
November 2, 2021, 8:54am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,671
Gold Stars: 94
What’s the Scannell situation? He can play up front.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 87
Northbank Mariner
November 2, 2021, 10:22am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
What’s the Scannell situation? He can play up front.

The only place he can successfully play is Dave Moore's crash test dummy!...
Really is some quality in Scannell but I'd be surprised if we see him anytime this side of 2022
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 87
jamesgtfc
November 2, 2021, 11:18am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,939
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from pontoonlew

It all sounds reasonable and you put a good argument forward but if the ball didn’t constantly ping off LJL, it would’ve allowed the forward players to get forward.

As it happened, the ball didn’t stay up there long enough to get the wide players involved.

I also thought a key part was Clifton not being at his best, Bapaga should’ve been on way before he was.

Clifton is disciplined and industrious. One thing I've noticed in the last 2 home games is that the opposition have targeted him for some rough treatment so they clearly see him as an important player in this team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 87
Mariner Timsky
November 2, 2021, 12:02pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
Yeh he certainly took a right whack on Saturday - imo the lad who took him out should of been shown the red

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 87
RonMariner
November 2, 2021, 12:19pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,649
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from marinerjase
Maybe - just maybe - given that Grant is seemingly near - the rush isn’t as urgent as it may appear. I expect he’ll be introduced from the bench at Kidderminster, and if no injuries, and he recovers after the game with no issues - that’s another iron in the fire for Aldershot and onwards.

Is he really that close to coming back?

If so, then great news!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 87
Tinymariner
November 2, 2021, 12:45pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
If we don’t bring a new player in, I could see Edwin Essel up front or on the bench for Saturday.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 87
forza ivano
November 2, 2021, 4:32pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,147
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from RonMariner

Is he really that close to coming back?

If so, then great news!

can imagine Grant will be pushing to get some match time as the next league game is at one of his former clubs, Aldershot, where he is fondly remembered
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 87
Grim up north
November 2, 2021, 8:46pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +688
Gold Stars: 1
Use some of the profit from the season so far on tempting Cheek up North for the first time in his career, he’s a born sniffer and can also bang the odd screamer like he did against us. He would score goals all the way to L1 level and would get even more in our side who create chances from all over.
Should’ve fought harder to get Tshimanger here as the 250K Chesterfield paid will be peanuts compared to the sell on fee.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 87
Heswall Mariner
November 2, 2021, 9:14pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +587
Gold Stars: 30
I know  -  but remember all our extra income will have to go to paying off a certain JFS?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 87
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We need to bring in that extra striker ASAP

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.