This thread currently has 11,908 views. Print
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
October 30, 2021, 5:42pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 189
Come on Paul, we've had a great start to the season.

But now is the time to bring in that extra striker before we regret it.

Bring on the red crosses but money talks, let's push the boat out and bring Omar Bogle back.

Isn't there a salary cap next season?

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
LH
October 30, 2021, 5:46pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
Agree we need another forward option but how about we sign one who actually wants to be a footballer?
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 87
promotion plaice
October 30, 2021, 5:47pm

Quoted from LH
Agree we need another forward option but how about we sign one who actually wants to be a footballer?

Everyone has their price.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 87
Swansea_Mariner
October 30, 2021, 5:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
Gold Stars: 62
Bogle will be way off the pace as he hasn't played for months  plus he doesn't want to play for us he turned us down!

We do need another option though as LJL isn't up to it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 87
male private Nale
October 30, 2021, 5:48pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -806
Gold Stars: 131
Lose our first home game and it's the Bogle Klaxon being fired loud and proud.... Jesus Christ lets go the whole hog and get podge back from his pasture at Exeter.

When we get a new striker I certainly don't want a washed out one.... regardless of how good he was 6-7 years ago.

Move on FFS
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 87
LH
October 30, 2021, 5:52pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
Quoted from promotion plaice

Everyone has their price.

There’s a difference between offering Lionel Messi £5m a week and a house in Humberston and putting a shotgun/cattle prod in  Bogle’s back to get him to play though.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 87
MuddyWaters
October 30, 2021, 5:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230

Bring on the red crosses but money talks, let's push the boat out and bring Omar Bogle back.

Yep. Red crossed. We sign players who actually give a intercourse not mercenary wannabe musicians.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 87
DB
October 30, 2021, 6:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.54
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,879
Gold Stars: 383

I like the majority of your posts but as the saying goes this one 'it's up a gum tree without a paddle '.  Why? because we all know, from the start of the season we need a No 9 and that's why we haven't one, nobody fits the bill. We don't need a mercenary because he hasn't played a first team match in months and to all accounts, he's collecting his paychecks.

To all extents I don't think money would be a problem, the problem is the right person who has to fit in with the team.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 87
Ipswin
October 30, 2021, 6:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
With McAtee out for 4 weeks minimum I'll take anyone if it means LJL doesn't start

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 87
mariner91
October 30, 2021, 6:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,249
Gold Stars: 253
The Shop is fine for the last 20 minutes if you're seeing out a game. If you're starting with him, you won't get promoted. He just doesn't have either the ability to do something when the other team parks the bus (see Tuesday night) or to score a half chance when you're playing a good team (see today) We need another striker and it's up to Hurst to find the right one, hopefully quickly.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 87
DB
October 30, 2021, 7:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
OK, we all know we need a striker, but who? No sentiments or was. Names in the frames please, EFL teams are reluctant to release because their No1 striker might get injured. So that leaves the prem or where we are in the NL or below. if they want to move?

So it's all right to state the obvious, but who?

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 87
oochiad
October 30, 2021, 7:34pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,647
Gold Stars: 27
Hurst said he was looking at championship and a first division strikers last week but they didn’t work out so it’s not as if he isn’t looking……
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 87
grimsby pete
October 30, 2021, 7:34pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
If anybody knows a. Striker that fits the bill that Paul is looking for.

Please tell him or put his name on here because Paul can not find one.

If Hollowhead was still here I bet he would have signed 3 or 4 by now.

They would not be any good but he would have signed them.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 87
bawarmy
October 30, 2021, 8:12pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,821
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from Ipswin
With McAtee out for 4 weeks minimum I'll take anyone if it means LJL doesn't start

And you didn’t expect red crosses for that?
You’re not a nice man
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 87
Roast Em Bobby
October 30, 2021, 10:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,706
Gold Stars: 43
Does anyone know if we are allowed to buy a player for a fee from another team in our division? All the talk seems to have been mainly been about free agents or higher level U23 players, but I keep wondering why we couldn't maybe go and try for someone in our division. Someone mentioned the other week the guy Waters at Halifax - could we maybe test their mettle with a 75-100K offer (assuming we've got that to spend) or someone similar who is doing reasonably well for a smaller club who might need the money.

I guess one of of problems is finding somebody who is good enought to fill in when McAtee/Taylor are injured, but won't kick up a fuss if they are fit and firing and so maybe won't get many minutes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 87
TAGG
October 30, 2021, 10:42pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Gold Stars: 121
"We need to bring in that extra striker ASAP"
No we don't.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 87
DB
October 31, 2021, 6:44am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
Does anyone know if we are allowed to buy a player for a fee from another team in our division? All the talk seems to have been mainly been about free agents or higher level U23 players, but I keep wondering why we couldn't maybe go and try for someone in our division. Someone mentioned the other week the guy Waters at Halifax - could we maybe test their mettle with a 75-100K offer (assuming we've got that to spend) or someone similar who is doing reasonably well for a smaller club who might need the money.

I guess one of of problems is finding somebody who is good enought to fill in when McAtee/Taylor are injured, but won't kick up a fuss if they are fit and firing and so maybe won't get many minutes.

Given the increase in gates, that sort of money should be in the kitty, unless you know who has milked it, again. Another striker, of some quality, may not always be 3rd choice and could make McAtee/Taylor compete for their place in the team. The question is who?

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 87
fishcake63
October 31, 2021, 6:53am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.52
Approval: +1,235
Gold Stars: 62
Look ph will sign a striker when one becomes available who he thinks can do a job for us , no good doing what holloway did & draw names out of a hat , he goes to enough u23 football i expect one if not two signings before we play our next league game , in the meantime 29 points after 14 games keep averaging that & we will be title contenders for sure
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 87
Limerick Mariner
October 31, 2021, 12:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.55
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,554
Gold Stars: 133
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby

I mentioned him - think he would be a good addition, but Halifax will need a big offer to sell to a rival, unless they really need the money and he may not want to warm the bench if we a fully fit squad, but of course money talks in that respect as well.

Be interested to know the type of player PH has been chasing. I think we need a poacher type that can get us goals alongside LJL's physical presence if we are missing Taylor but PH will have the right plan. I thought he got it right yesterday BTW - the midfield were impressive, we needed a scruffy goal from a Notts mistake from our pressing game but it was our errors (positional and Macca) that lost the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 87
Simon
October 31, 2021, 12:20pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Approval: +259
Gold Stars: 32
Andy Carroll is a free agent at the moment, still only 32 could do a job at this level

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 87
HertsGTFC
October 31, 2021, 12:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,638
Gold Stars: 217
Is there a ceiling on how many loans you can take?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 87
golfer
October 31, 2021, 5:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,374
Gold Stars: 112
Quoted from Simon
Andy Carroll is a free agent at the moment, still only 32 could do a job at this level

We should be able to get him for £50 a week and 100 Tesco points
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 87
Ipswin
October 31, 2021, 5:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from golfer

I'd want him to pay us a lot more than that

Private Message
Reply: 22 - 87
Caveman
October 31, 2021, 5:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +744
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from golfer

............. and he could bring his own striped shirt with him .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 87
ginnywings
October 31, 2021, 5:42pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Thought it was 6, so we are alright there. We must be because the players PH was trying to bring in last week would have been loans I imagine.

As for signing a striker for a fee, I would like to think that if PH identified one, then the board would put up the money, especially as we are making way more than we could have imagined at the start of the season with all the extra fans through the turnstiles.

Stockport signed Sarcevic from Bolton, so It's doable.

The top teams in this league are now spending the sorts of money unheard of until recently and there was much made about Chesterfield paying what they did for Tshimanga, but he is quickly repaying that investment with 9 goals already.

Maybe we could prise away someone like Waters or Campbell from Woking.

Ultimately though, it's solely down to PH to identify the correct fit. As good as we have been this season, we are still in the building process yet and there is room for improvement in more than just forward areas I think.

We need to use the next 2 or 3 weeks to bring someone in before we hit that run of tough games against most of the top sides.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 87
Abdul19
October 31, 2021, 5:53pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Not sure, but you can only have 5 in the matchday 16.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 87
darren9
October 31, 2021, 5:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +590
Gold Stars: 39
It's easy to spend someone else's money though isn't it?

For what it's worth (which is very little, I'm just a voice on a message board) I don't think the answer is throwing money at a striker and I don't think that's the model we're going to go for and whilst the budget is no doubt healthy we can't compete with the likes of Wrexham or Stockport and pay the wages they're paying to prise people from elsewhere. I'm not sure I'd want us to be so reckless with the budget that we would try either, it seems that we're aiming for a sustainable and safe operating structure.

Beyond that I'm not sure how easy it is to 'go get a striker'. It's the easiest thing in the world to talk about on social media or a forum. It's easy to do on FM or FIFA but in real life with real people I'm not sure its as simple as that. What is clear is that Paul Hurst is trying, he's been knocked back by a couple of players and he's discounted others himself. he's alluded that this may be down to their personalities/attitudes. What PH does build in a team is a work ethic and a bond. I don't think he'd take someone who isn't the right fit. It must be difficult to persuade someone to move at this time of year, we're all thinking about Christmas aren't we? Would you want to move away from your family at this time of year?  Footballers are just people, with thoughts and emotions and feelings, I think sometimes we forget that.

I agree that we need strengthening or help in the striking options, especially now McAtee is injured and Taylor is having to be managed in a return but I trust Paul Hurst and I trust the board to get the right person in, and if that person isn't out there then I'd rather we didn't spend the money for the sake of it and we make do with what we've got.

Twitter: @DarrenLeeNewman
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 87
ginnywings
October 31, 2021, 6:15pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from darren9
It's easy to spend someone else's money though isn't it?

For what it's worth (which is very little, I'm just a voice on a message board) I don't think the answer is throwing money at a striker and I don't think that's the model we're going to go for and whilst the budget is no doubt healthy we can't compete with the likes of Wrexham or Stockport and pay the wages they're paying to prise people from elsewhere. I'm not sure I'd want us to be so reckless with the budget that we would try either, it seems that we're aiming for a sustainable and safe operating structure.

Beyond that I'm not sure how easy it is to 'go get a striker'. It's the easiest thing in the world to talk about on social media or a forum. It's easy to do on FM or FIFA but in real life with real people I'm not sure its as simple as that. What is clear is that Paul Hurst is trying, he's been knocked back by a couple of players and he's discounted others himself. he's alluded that this may be down to their personalities/attitudes. What PH does build in a team is a work ethic and a bond. I don't think he'd take someone who isn't the right fit. It must be difficult to persuade someone to move at this time of year, we're all thinking about Christmas aren't we? Would you want to move away from your family at this time of year?  Footballers are just people, with thoughts and emotions and feelings, I think sometimes we forget that.

I agree that we need strengthening or help in the striking options, especially now McAtee is injured and Taylor is having to be managed in a return but I trust Paul Hurst and I trust the board to get the right person in, and if that person isn't out there then I'd rather we didn't spend the money for the sake of it and we make do with what we've got.

Is it other peoples money though? The fans by and large fund the club through ticket sales and sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate. We have responded to what we have seen on the pitch and turned up in numbers not heard of for a long time. The club has made far more money than they could have imagined and would probably be willing to fund a modest transfer, should one be identified.

I'm not talking about spending a quarter of a million on a striker like Chesterfield did. We got Hearn and Bogle for considerably less than that, because we took them from clubs that were glad of the money and happy for their star striker to get a move that enhanced their career.

I think sometimes Hurst can be a bit stubborn in that regard, but if you stand still, you go backwards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 87
HertsGTFC
October 31, 2021, 6:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Thought it was 6, so we are alright there. We must be because the players PH was trying to bring in last week would have been loans I imagine.

As for signing a striker for a fee, I would like to think that if PH identified one, then the board would put up the money, especially as we are making way more than we could have imagined at the start of the season with all the extra fans through the turnstiles.

Stockport signed Sarcevic from Bolton, so It's doable.

The top teams in this league are now spending the sorts of money unheard of until recently and there was much made about Chesterfield paying what they did for Tshimanga, but he is quickly repaying that investment with 9 goals already.

Maybe we could prise away someone like Waters or Campbell from Woking.

Ultimately though, it's solely down to PH to identify the correct fit. As good as we have been this season, we are still in the building process yet and there is room for improvement in more than just forward areas I think.

We need to use the next 2 or 3 weeks to bring someone in before we hit that run of tough games against most of the top sides.

Jason did go on record recently to say if we need an addition the board will support it. I doubt we’d get Waters as Halifax have realistic ambitions. Campbell looks decent as did the big lad Woking had up front with him when we played them.

I think he’ll bring someone in as long as they fit the bill in terms of ability and attitude and more importantly they’re match fit or as close as they could be.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 87
HertsGTFC
October 31, 2021, 6:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Is it other peoples money though? The fans by and large fund the club through ticket sales and sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate. We have responded to what we have seen on the pitch and turned up in numbers not heard of for a long time. The club has made far more money than they could have imagined and would probably be willing to fund a modest transfer, should one be identified.

I'm not talking about spending a quarter of a million on a striker like Chesterfield did. We got Hearn and Bogle for considerably less than that, because we took them from clubs that were glad of the money and happy for their star striker to get a move that enhanced their career.

I think sometimes Hurst can be a bit stubborn in that regard, but if you stand still, you go backwards.

I agree with a lot of what you say here but saying Hurst is stubborn is a bit off the mark in my view. I’d describe it as picky but stubborn suggests he’d cut his nose off to sought his face which he wouldn’t do, why would he “self harm” our chances of success.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 87
darren9
October 31, 2021, 6:34pm
Table Wine Drinker
It is other people's money its not mine or yours it's the club's when you give them that money its for entrance, or for merchandise or whatever, you relinquish any rights to it when you hand it over.

Remember we still have to pay back JF so that's got to be harming any potential budget.

But, what I'm saying (maybe badly) is that I trust in Paul Hurst (and the board) to identify and bring in the right person rather than just *a* person. I'd rather have no-one than the Richard Brodie situation

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 87
ginnywings
October 31, 2021, 6:49pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from darren9
It is other people's money its not mine or yours it's the club's when you give them that money its for entrance, or for merchandise or whatever, you relinquish any rights to it when you hand it over.

Remember we still have to pay back JF so that's got to be harming any potential budget.

But, what I'm saying (maybe badly) is that I trust in Paul Hurst (and the board) to identify and bring in the right person rather than just *a* person. I'd rather have no-one than the Richard Brodie situation

Exactly!

It's the club's and the club's reason for being is football. Football needs footballers to attract and entertain the punters.

I trust Hurst too, but if we need to sign a striker and the only ones that fit the bill and are available cost a fee, then so be it.

We didn't do badly out of the Bogle deal did we?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 87
gobby
October 31, 2021, 6:56pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +767
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from DB

I like the majority of your posts but as the saying goes this one 'it's up a gum tree without a paddle '.  Why? because we all know, from the start of the season we need a No 9 and that's why we haven't one, nobody fits the bill. We don't need a mercenary because he hasn't played a first team match in months and to all accounts, he's collecting his paychecks.

To all extents I don't think money would be a problem, the problem is the right person who has to fit in with the team.

What would you do if you had a paddle up a gum tree? The mind boggles!  
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 87
AussieMariner
October 31, 2021, 7:05pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,073
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from gobby

What would you do if you had a paddle up a gum tree? The mind boggles!  
UTMM

How much can a koala bear?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 87
Ipswin
October 31, 2021, 7:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Exactly!

It's the club's and the club's reason for being is football. Football needs footballers to attract and entertain the punters.

I trust Hurst too, but if we need to sign a striker and the only ones that fit the bill and are available cost a fee, then so be it.

We didn't do badly out of the Bogle deal did we?

The new owners haven't exactly pushed the boat out with spending on players or management, Time to dig deep, after all they don't want to be tarred with the same brush investment-wise as their predecessor do they?

Hurst has put together an excellent squad that. with just a couple of decent (fee paying) acquisitions, (one of which must be up front) could easily see the new owner's investment back in the EFL at the first time of asking

Private Message
Reply: 34 - 87
marinerjase
October 31, 2021, 7:11pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Approval: +2,608
Gold Stars: 146
Maybe - just maybe - given that Grant is seemingly near - the rush isn’t as urgent as it may appear. I expect he’ll be introduced from the bench at Kidderminster, and if no injuries, and he recovers after the game with no issues - that’s another iron in the fire for Aldershot and onwards.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 87
thefish
October 31, 2021, 7:20pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,267
Gold Stars: 67
Quoted from Ipswin

The new owners haven't exactly pushed the boat out with spending on players or management, Time to dig deep, after all they don't want to be tarred with the same brush investment-wise as their predecessor do they?

Hurst has put together an excellent squad that. with just a couple of decent (fee paying) acquisitions, (one of which must be up front) could easily see the new owner's investment back in the EFL at the first time of asking

It's not all about throwing money at it... just look at the league positions of Wrexham and Stockport!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 87
HertsGTFC
October 31, 2021, 7:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

When Hurst was here before it was pretty much him, Doigy, Dave and Andy Warrington. I think Greg the fitness guy was doing a bit for free.

Now he’s got,

Him
Doigy
Ben Davis
Greg the fitness guy
Keeper coach (who’s not the reserve keeper)
Dave
A masseur
An analyst
A kit man
I think there is another lad helping out with SAQ stuff as well.

On top of this though we’ll struggle for goals without McAtee and Taylor he’s got most positions covered without having to take a punt on a young kid.

The new owners also have the liability of paying off Fenty and making the training ground and BP fit for purpose for the short term.

To say they haven’t pushed the boat out is probably right if your expecting us to sign numerous players for 6 figure fees but they have invested in sustainable growth which in the mind of most supporters I know is the right path.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 87
darren9
October 31, 2021, 8:41pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

When Hurst was here before it was pretty much him, Doigy, Dave and Andy Warrington. I think Greg the fitness guy was doing a bit for free.

Now he’s got,

Him
Doigy
Ben Davis
Greg the fitness guy
Keeper coach (who’s not the reserve keeper)
Dave
A masseur
An analyst
A kit man
I think there is another lad helping out with SAQ stuff as well.

On top of this though we’ll struggle for goals without McAtee and Taylor he’s got most positions covered without having to take a punt on a young kid.

The new owners also have the liability of paying off Fenty and making the training ground and BP fit for purpose for the short term.

To say they haven’t pushed the boat out is probably right if your expecting us to sign numerous players for 6 figure fees but they have invested in sustainable growth which in the mind of most supporters I know is the right path.

To say the new owners “haven’t pushed the boat out” is unfair. They’ve put a lot of money into areas that aren’t the playing squad some listed above. This makes us a better club. Throwing money at players is a short term strategy. Investing elsewhere is long term and I’d much rather the owners do that than short term fixes.

Putting money into the playing squad may give you a temporary uplift but ignoring the other elements of a football club gets you relegations.

If investing in the facilities, coaches, the ground, infrastructure and other areas means the playing budget is slightly less than so be it. The “when does a (insert non playing staff cost) get you 3 points on a Saturday?” Attitude has been proven to be short sighted and wrong.

The current squad and decisions made sees us second in the league and having only lost twice so far this season. That’s not a bad place to be and we’ve got there on a wave of optimism. this handwringing from fans about a new striker is damaging the positivity. It’s cliched but we’re stronger together and we need to back the club, the staff and the players that are here.

In hurst, Stockwood, and Petit we trust.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 87
TwoLeftFeet
October 31, 2021, 9:31pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,065
Gold Stars: 18
Im sure if Hurst was to identify another Bogle/Hearn the board would back him with the funds necessary etc..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 87
Heswall Mariner
October 31, 2021, 9:52pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +580
Gold Stars: 30
I suspect we have a pay structure installed that not only makes economic sense but precludes any fast bucks merchants coming in to disrupt the harmony in the dressing room.
Players who have that rare ability to score regularly have agents who know that & thus, if available, reflect their demands.
I don't like the loan system as these guys are just passing through to eventually return to their parent clubs possibly better players.
However needs must & I understand the PH philosophy of patience in seeking a talent from a level above on loan to bag us some goals in the absence of JM & a striker.
Ah well time just enough to top up the glass before the missus comes in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 87
gobby
October 31, 2021, 10:26pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Approval: +767
Quoted from AussieMariner

How much can a koala bear?

Not a lot without a paddle apparently!  
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 87
jamesgtfc
October 31, 2021, 11:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,813
Gold Stars: 187
It's hard to recruit from below given the lack of football over the last 20 months but I've just had a look at the National League North top scorers. 22 year old Cedwyn Scott at Gateshead will probably be attracting some attention.

Glenn Taylor at Spennymoor impressed me when I saw him earlier this season but he has a good job and earns £900 p/w apparently!

Harry Cardwell and James Hanson feature high up the list too!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 87
Garth
November 1, 2021, 9:15am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from jamesgtfc
It's hard to recruit from below given the lack of football over the last 20 months but I've just had a look at the National League North top scorers. 22 year old Cedwyn Scott at Gateshead will probably be attracting some attention.

Glenn Taylor at Spennymoor impressed me when I saw him earlier this season but he has a good job and earns £900 p/w apparently!

Harry Cardwell and James Hanson feature high up the list too!

Not saying never, but we've been there last season with promising goalscorers who did not make the grade, no need to panic just because we lost two games that we could have easily won
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 87
MarinerDevil
November 1, 2021, 12:12pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,635
Gold Stars: 78
I don't think we are limited by our investments in infrastructure or coaching.  In his first interview after completing the takeover, Stockwood said, "we're prepared to stand behind some pretty substantial losses", which I took to mean that they will personally be backing the improvements to - and eventually replacement of - training facilities, etc.  The Fenty payments have been budgeted for.  So we should be looking at a budget surplus heading into January.

What kind of forward do we need anyway?  Probably a more direct player than what we have, preferably with pace, who could perhaps play off Taylor/LJL.  I also think we could do with a left-sided midfielder/winger.  I presumed Revan would be an option there but Hurst sees him as a back-up to Crookes at LB.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 87
diehardmariner
November 1, 2021, 12:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
I didn't actually think it was the striking position that was the problem on Saturday, it was the absence of McAtee.  

LJL did what he could but was badly isolated without someone genuinely operating just off him.  Fox was deployed further upfield and did his best, but not his game and he got sucked back into midfield (a criticism that's been levelled at McAtee at times this season too).  Taylor came on and was equally as isolated and I felt actually got less involved than LJL.  

It doesn't matter who we play up top, be it LJL or Taylor, it's the gap left by McAtee that's the real issue.  If he's not available we need to either be able to replace him in a like-for-like way or change the system to adapt.

Like-for-like wise I think the only person we've got the in building who could do that role is Scannell, unfortunately he's never fit so we probably need to give up on that idea.  We therefore, in my opinion anyway, need to adjust the system to make sure we're not reliant on a guy floating about in the hole to make things happen.  

Other than McAtee, one of our biggest strengths this season has been our ability to basically outrun and dominate teams in midfield.  It's essential we don't lose that either.

If we want to still boss the midfield and be able to press and create from other areas, I think we need to look at overloading from wide.  That's going to either have to come from having the full-backs pushing forward more and/or wingbacks with wingers operating much higher and closer to Taylor/LJL.

I know Hurst likes what Clifton brings from wide, but he isn't a real attacking threat.  Equally so with McAtee's energy missing from the central areas we need to realign that a little.  I'd like to see Clifton in a midfield 3 with Hunt and Fox.  Sousa and Bapaga either side of the striker for a genuine front 3.  Also the full-backs pushing forward into the space vacated by the wingers moving forward more.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 87
Mayaman
November 1, 2021, 2:53pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,259
Gold Stars: 71
PH said Grant will prob be on the bench.  I've never seen him play but he can play up front.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 87
chaos33
November 1, 2021, 3:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Agree on Grant. I’d like to see another forward come in but I’d also like to see if Bapaga might play effectively where McAtee does. Additionally, I think we might need to be a bit bolder in both full back positions to address the ‘isolation’ issue, and that means Efete and Revan instead of Sears and Crookes in certain games.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 87
Maringer
November 1, 2021, 4:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
I thought Fox's advanced role in the first half was as much a case of stopping their No. 18 building play out from the back as it was supporting LJL. A more defensive sort of a role, despite the advanced starting position. I also thought that Sousa was supposed to be the main one pushing forward but he did end up wide more often than not so not sure if this actually was the case.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 87
toontown
November 1, 2021, 6:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from diehardmariner

I know Hurst likes what Clifton brings from wide, but he isn't a real attacking threat.  Equally so with McAtee's energy missing from the central areas we need to realign that a little.  I'd like to see Clifton in a midfield 3 with Hunt and Fox.  Sousa and Bapaga either side of the striker for a genuine front 3.  Also the full-backs pushing forward into the space vacated by the wingers moving forward more.

Didn't we try that in the game mcatee came on in about the 70th minute? Think we have tried something like that a couple of times. Never really worked.

I think bapaga could play the mcatee role but we would definitely lose something work rate wise. However I would hope bapagas seemingly very high efficiency of end product in terms of penalties/assists/goals might make up for that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 87
pontoonlew
November 1, 2021, 7:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
Quoted from diehardmariner
I didn't actually think it was the striking position that was the problem on Saturday, it was the absence of McAtee.  

LJL did what he could but was badly isolated without someone genuinely operating just off him.  Fox was deployed further upfield and did his best, but not his game and he got sucked back into midfield (a criticism that's been levelled at McAtee at times this season too).  Taylor came on and was equally as isolated and I felt actually got less involved than LJL.  

It doesn't matter who we play up top, be it LJL or Taylor, it's the gap left by McAtee that's the real issue.  If he's not available we need to either be able to replace him in a like-for-like way or change the system to adapt.

Like-for-like wise I think the only person we've got the in building who could do that role is Scannell, unfortunately he's never fit so we probably need to give up on that idea.  We therefore, in my opinion anyway, need to adjust the system to make sure we're not reliant on a guy floating about in the hole to make things happen.  

Other than McAtee, one of our biggest strengths this season has been our ability to basically outrun and dominate teams in midfield.  It's essential we don't lose that either.

If we want to still boss the midfield and be able to press and create from other areas, I think we need to look at overloading from wide.  That's going to either have to come from having the full-backs pushing forward more and/or wingbacks with wingers operating much higher and closer to Taylor/LJL.

It all sounds reasonable and you put a good argument forward but if the ball didn’t constantly ping off LJL, it would’ve allowed the forward players to get forward.

As it happened, the ball didn’t stay up there long enough to get the wide players involved.

I also thought a key part was Clifton not being at his best, Bapaga should’ve been on way before he was.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 87
louth_in_the_south
November 2, 2021, 8:54am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +5,552
Gold Stars: 94
What’s the Scannell situation? He can play up front.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 87
Northbank Mariner
November 2, 2021, 10:22am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
What’s the Scannell situation? He can play up front.

The only place he can successfully play is Dave Moore's crash test dummy!...
Really is some quality in Scannell but I'd be surprised if we see him anytime this side of 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 87
jamesgtfc
November 2, 2021, 11:18am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew

It all sounds reasonable and you put a good argument forward but if the ball didn’t constantly ping off LJL, it would’ve allowed the forward players to get forward.

As it happened, the ball didn’t stay up there long enough to get the wide players involved.

I also thought a key part was Clifton not being at his best, Bapaga should’ve been on way before he was.

Clifton is disciplined and industrious. One thing I've noticed in the last 2 home games is that the opposition have targeted him for some rough treatment so they clearly see him as an important player in this team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 87
Mariner Timsky
November 2, 2021, 12:02pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Approval: +1,535
Gold Stars: 4
Yeh he certainly took a right whack on Saturday - imo the lad who took him out should of been shown the red

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 87
RonMariner
November 2, 2021, 12:19pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,010
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from marinerjase
Maybe - just maybe - given that Grant is seemingly near - the rush isn’t as urgent as it may appear. I expect he’ll be introduced from the bench at Kidderminster, and if no injuries, and he recovers after the game with no issues - that’s another iron in the fire for Aldershot and onwards.

Is he really that close to coming back?

If so, then great news!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 87
Tinymariner
November 2, 2021, 12:45pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
If we don’t bring a new player in, I could see Edwin Essel up front or on the bench for Saturday.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 87
forza ivano
November 2, 2021, 4:32pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,140
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from RonMariner

Is he really that close to coming back?

If so, then great news!

can imagine Grant will be pushing to get some match time as the next league game is at one of his former clubs, Aldershot, where he is fondly remembered
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 87
Grim up north
November 2, 2021, 8:46pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +688
Gold Stars: 1
Use some of the profit from the season so far on tempting Cheek up North for the first time in his career, he’s a born sniffer and can also bang the odd screamer like he did against us. He would score goals all the way to L1 level and would get even more in our side who create chances from all over.
Should’ve fought harder to get Tshimanger here as the 250K Chesterfield paid will be peanuts compared to the sell on fee.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 87
Heswall Mariner
November 2, 2021, 9:14pm

Fine Wine Drinker
I know  -  but remember all our extra income will have to go to paying off a certain JFS?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 87
Grim up north
November 2, 2021, 10:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Approval: +688
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Heswall Mariner
I know  -  but remember all our extra income will have to go to paying off a certain JFS?

We will pay it off a lot quicker if we get a quality striker to take us back at the first attempt.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 87
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
November 2, 2021, 10:27pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Approval: +786
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Abdul19

Not sure, but you can only have 5 in the matchday 16.

That was the mistake Ollie made. He signed 42,or was it 43,on loan but could only name 5 in the squad
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 87
rancido
November 2, 2021, 10:30pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from Grim up north
Use some of the profit from the season so far on tempting Cheek up North for the first time in his career, he’s a born sniffer and can also bang the odd screamer like he did against us. He would score goals all the way to L1 level and would get even more in our side who create chances from all over.
Should’ve fought harder to get Tshimanger here as the 250K Chesterfield paid will be peanuts compared to the sell on fee.

Whoever we get (if we do) will be somebody PH wants. Somebody that adds to the squad and fits in with a harmonious dressing room. It's all well and good throwing names around on here but PH knows what he wants, he is the manager and on this I will trust his judgement.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 87
Norseman
November 2, 2021, 10:35pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +263
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from rancido

Whoever we get (if we do) will be somebody PH wants. Somebody that adds to the squad and fits in with a harmonious dressing room. It's all well and good throwing names around on here but PH knows what he wants, he is the manager and on this I will trust his judgement.

Wasn't it his judgement that brought Lewis back .That's worked well
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 87
chaos33
November 2, 2021, 10:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
That’s a balanced view

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 87
HertsGTFC
November 2, 2021, 10:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Grim up north

Cheek is a leery Southern tw@t (I know he was born in Nuneaton but I added that for effect) but scores 1 in 2 on average so he'd be ideal and arguably the type of player we have missing ATM, but I would imagine he'd get a nose bleed anywhere North of Watford, it would be nice to get him though as it would really p1ss off that bell end Woodman.  

In terms of buying a player for £250K and paying him stupid money (at this level) which I'd assume the lad who went to Chesterfield is no doubt earning I can't see us doing that for lots of reasons. When Hurst was here before I remember an interview he did with RH where he talked about the impact of a lack of wage structure and how it can disrupt a squad.  

This may sound an odd comment from a supporter who wants us to get promoted but I would have been quite concerned if we'd have spent that kind of money on a player when the whole squad left behind by Holloway needed a couple of windows to truly strengthen.  

It's a bit of a dilemma though as if you bring in a free agent or someone who's not been playing at their club they'll take a bit to get going when we need an instant impact.

I think you could bring another U23 in on loan but that would mean we have 6 and can only name 5 in a squad which would p1ss off the parent club of the lad that misses our and potentially endangering any other loans from that club in the future.

I still think he'll wait to January when the market opens up a bit and there will be a few players in the last year of their deal who may want to jump now rather than being stranded in the summer.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 87
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
November 2, 2021, 11:01pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Approval: +786
Ryan Seager at Hungerford Town could be worth a punt. 8 goals in 10 games. Previously played for Southampton and a handful of loan teams. Hardly scored any goals in his first 6 years but the has seemed to have run into some decent form having scored over 20 goals in last season and the first 10 games of this season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 87
Poojah
November 2, 2021, 11:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,153
Gold Stars: 1,490
Ryan Seager at Hungerford Town could be worth a punt. 8 goals in 10 games. Previously played for Southampton and a handful of loan teams. Hardly scored any goals in his first 6 years but the has seemed to have run into some decent form having scored over 20 goals in last season and the first 10 games of this season

Southampton are a funny club for holding onto 'young' players that clearly aren't going to make it at the top level and most likely several tiers below. I don't know much about Seager but he's 25 now and at Hungerford, and was only released two years ago.

Tommy Forecast meanwhile was kept on their books until just a couple of months short of his 27th birthday, before they finally let him go. I mean, you hear of late developers and all that, but fúcking hell...

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 87
Abdul19
November 3, 2021, 12:09am

Season Ticket Holder
Tbf R Thomas didn't go there til he was nearly 22

(that 5 year deal makes Montel Gibson's 3 look shrewd!)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 87
jamesgtfc
November 3, 2021, 10:05am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19
Tbf R Thomas didn't go there til he was nearly 22

(that 5 year deal makes Montel Gibson's 3 look shrewd!)

Wasn't Forecast part of Bale moving to Spurs?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 87
Abdul19
November 3, 2021, 11:45am

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Wasn't Forecast part of Bale moving to Spurs?

He moved a year later, as part of a 'renegotiation' of Bale's sell on clause. Shrewd bit of business by Saints.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/mike-walters-meets-tommy-forecast-2257918

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 87
diehardmariner
November 4, 2021, 11:21am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from toontown

Didn't we try that in the game mcatee came on in about the 70th minute? Think we have tried something like that a couple of times. Never really worked.

I think bapaga could play the mcatee role but we would definitely lose something work rate wise. However I would hope bapagas seemingly very high efficiency of end product in terms of penalties/assists/goals might make up for that.

You're right, we did.  Against Eastleigh.  Although I wonder how much the flatness of that was down to a bit of the Lord Mayor's show after the Wrexham game.
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 87
diehardmariner
November 4, 2021, 11:23am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew

I get what you're saying and in previous games this season I'd have agreed.  I just didn't think LJL did bad at all on Saturday, far from it.  
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 87
promotion plaice
November 6, 2021, 5:01pm

Bump

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 87
The_Chief
November 6, 2021, 6:14pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +302
Need a couple of new strikers and different types of strikers too.

Would like to see a forward so that we can go to a plan B if a game is looking a bit stale, so we can go a bit more direct.  We are too predictable and easy to defend against IF Taylor or McAtee are out.  Yes, we need to play the beautiful game, but sometimes we need to mix it and get it forward quicker.

A proper beast of a player, who we can wheel on with 10-15 mins to go, who isn't afraid of putting himself about (just within the laws of the game or not), roughing up a few centre backs, causing them to deal with a different challenge.  Might not score himself, but midfielders or other players can poke home from the scraps and general carnage left in his wake.  

McAtee and Taylor are sharing the goals evenly. But no other striker is causing other teams problems.  Young Harry and Waterfall are our next highest scorers.

It'd be interesting to see how Chesterfield will cope if Tshimanga gets injured ...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 87
Vance Warner
November 6, 2021, 6:23pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +18 / -5
Approval: +2,772
Gold Stars: 99
For those of you having a meltdown we’ve got a manager who’s recruitment across 2 spells has been better than any other manager in my 30 years of following town. No one else comes close for signing quality players on a budget.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 87
dapperz fun pub
November 6, 2021, 6:31pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from Vance Warner
For those of you having a meltdown we’ve got a manager who’s recruitment across 2 spells has been better than any other manager in my 30 years of following town. No one else comes close for signing quality players on a budget.

And to balance things he never once built a team to challenge for the title
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 87
Vance Warner
November 6, 2021, 7:40pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

And to balance things he never once built a team to challenge for the title

And neither has anyone else in my 30 years of watching town. Hence the original point. If you can name a better manager that we’ve had for recruitment then crack on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 87
GrimRob
November 6, 2021, 8:10pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Quoted from Vance Warner

And neither has anyone else in my 30 years of watching town. Hence the original point. If you can name a better manager that we’ve had for recruitment then crack on.

That's why we should splash the cash and pay a reasonable transfer fee, as we trust his judgement. Free agents are one thing, we must have exhausted them by now, and if so we need to get someone who is not in the shop window.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 78 - 87
Vance Warner
November 6, 2021, 9:45pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

That's why we should splash the cash and pay a reasonable transfer fee, as we trust his judgement. Free agents are one thing, we must have exhausted them by now, and if so we need to get someone who is not in the shop window.

Because splashing the cash is working so well for Wrexham and Stockport. Not to mention the impact that breaking a wage structure can have on a team. Anyway how do you know we’re not willing to pay a fee for someone?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 87
davmariner
November 6, 2021, 11:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,860
Gold Stars: 75
I’m pleased with the team that Hurst has assembled but despite the furore (and understandably so given our start to the season), I always had in the back of my mind, “what happens if Taylor or McAtee get injured?”.

On our day and with a fully fit team, we probably have a team as good as any in this league but my concern is that I don’t feel we have the strength in depth to cope with the rigours of a full season and be able to mount a sustained title challenge.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 87
louth_in_the_south
November 7, 2021, 7:52am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +5,552
Gold Stars: 94
I’m all for signing a player for a fee if he scores us goals and we sell on for a big profit . It’s a business model we should be able to do now on the back of increased income .

There’s players like bogle out there .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 87
toontown
November 7, 2021, 2:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from davmariner
I’m pleased with the team that Hurst has assembled but despite the furore (and understandably so given our start to the season), I always had in the back of my mind, “what happens if Taylor or McAtee get injured?”.

On our day and with a fully fit team, we probably have a team as good as any in this league but my concern is that I don’t feel we have the strength in depth to cope with the rigours of a full season and be able to mount a sustained title challenge.

I don't think it's squad depth were lacking in particularly, bearing in mind our level I think we have some strong options (we obviously can't afford to carry lots of players who won't be in the first 11 who are as of as strong a calibre as they are). I think it's more specific to position, were lacking up top with just mcatee, Taylor and lennie. Lenny I clearly inferior to taylor and nobody can replace mcatee it seems. Hurst was obviously hoping to sign a no 9, probably tshimanga but that didn't come off and in the meantime has hoped, whilst still looking out for a striker, that one of sousa, bapaga, Wight (or when fit Grant or scannel) could do a decent job invthat role as a stop gap. But Grant and scannel still aren't fit, Wright has become unfit again, sousa looks poor in the box (albeit great out of it) and bapaga lacks work rate.
Not sure what the answer is but I'd be inclined to go back to 4-4-1-1 with the same team as before (injuries permitting) but trying bapaga in the mcatee role. I think he has the ability to perform that function albeit we obviously lose out on mcatees work rate contributing in midfield and defending from the front.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 87
Heswall Mariner
November 7, 2021, 3:42pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
I’m all for signing a player for a fee if he scores us goals and we sell on for a big profit . It’s a business model we should be able to do now on the back of increased income .

There’s players like bogle out there .

He's still out there - for a good reason it seems.

However  I seem to recall Chesterfield paid circa £250k for Tshimanga & he's bagged 12 goals in 14 games so far.
Probably on big money as well but their gamble has so far paid off.
Stockport & Wrexham punts have so far have not - it 'aint easy to get it right that's for sure.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 87
Wiley2405
November 8, 2021, 10:48am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Approval: +663
Gold Stars: 20
Shaun Jeffers @ St Albans.

29 years old, 23 goals in 26 games for them

14 goals in 11 in the league this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 87
Perkins
November 8, 2021, 11:38am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,964
Quoted from Wiley2405

You obviously watched the St Albans v FGR game

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 87
pontoonlew
November 8, 2021, 12:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
Quoted from Wiley2405

29 years old with more clubs than Tiger Woods, as well as a poor record at this level.

Found his level
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 87
acko338
November 8, 2021, 2:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
A one month loan with a guaranteed first team run may persuade someone higher in the EFL to allow out a striker for game time?

Chances being created, but not taken.

Even with a salary disparity, we need a front man to keep us in the top 2 or 3 until after the time needed for Taylor and McAtee regaining full fitness and resuming their partnership, which allows so much more free room for others to play !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 87
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We need to bring in that extra striker ASAP

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.