9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
darren9
October 31, 2021, 6:34pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +607
Gold Stars: 39
It is other people's money its not mine or yours it's the club's when you give them that money its for entrance, or for merchandise or whatever, you relinquish any rights to it when you hand it over.

Remember we still have to pay back JF so that's got to be harming any potential budget.

But, what I'm saying (maybe badly) is that I trust in Paul Hurst (and the board) to identify and bring in the right person rather than just *a* person. I'd rather have no-one than the Richard Brodie situation

Twitter: @DarrenLeeNewman
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 87
ginnywings
October 31, 2021, 6:49pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from darren9
It is other people's money its not mine or yours it's the club's when you give them that money its for entrance, or for merchandise or whatever, you relinquish any rights to it when you hand it over.

Remember we still have to pay back JF so that's got to be harming any potential budget.

But, what I'm saying (maybe badly) is that I trust in Paul Hurst (and the board) to identify and bring in the right person rather than just *a* person. I'd rather have no-one than the Richard Brodie situation

Exactly!

It's the club's and the club's reason for being is football. Football needs footballers to attract and entertain the punters.

I trust Hurst too, but if we need to sign a striker and the only ones that fit the bill and are available cost a fee, then so be it.

We didn't do badly out of the Bogle deal did we?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 87
gobby
October 31, 2021, 6:56pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +772
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from DB

I like the majority of your posts but as the saying goes this one 'it's up a gum tree without a paddle '.  Why? because we all know, from the start of the season we need a No 9 and that's why we haven't one, nobody fits the bill. We don't need a mercenary because he hasn't played a first team match in months and to all accounts, he's collecting his paychecks.

To all extents I don't think money would be a problem, the problem is the right person who has to fit in with the team.

What would you do if you had a paddle up a gum tree? The mind boggles!  
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 87
AussieMariner
October 31, 2021, 7:05pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from gobby

What would you do if you had a paddle up a gum tree? The mind boggles!  
UTMM

How much can a koala bear?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 87
Ipswin
October 31, 2021, 7:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from ginnywings

Exactly!

It's the club's and the club's reason for being is football. Football needs footballers to attract and entertain the punters.

I trust Hurst too, but if we need to sign a striker and the only ones that fit the bill and are available cost a fee, then so be it.

We didn't do badly out of the Bogle deal did we?

The new owners haven't exactly pushed the boat out with spending on players or management, Time to dig deep, after all they don't want to be tarred with the same brush investment-wise as their predecessor do they?

Hurst has put together an excellent squad that. with just a couple of decent (fee paying) acquisitions, (one of which must be up front) could easily see the new owner's investment back in the EFL at the first time of asking

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 87
marinerjase
October 31, 2021, 7:11pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,639
Gold Stars: 147
Maybe - just maybe - given that Grant is seemingly near - the rush isn’t as urgent as it may appear. I expect he’ll be introduced from the bench at Kidderminster, and if no injuries, and he recovers after the game with no issues - that’s another iron in the fire for Aldershot and onwards.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 87
thefish
October 31, 2021, 7:20pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,267
Gold Stars: 67
Quoted from Ipswin

The new owners haven't exactly pushed the boat out with spending on players or management, Time to dig deep, after all they don't want to be tarred with the same brush investment-wise as their predecessor do they?

Hurst has put together an excellent squad that. with just a couple of decent (fee paying) acquisitions, (one of which must be up front) could easily see the new owner's investment back in the EFL at the first time of asking

It's not all about throwing money at it... just look at the league positions of Wrexham and Stockport!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 87
HertsGTFC
October 31, 2021, 7:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Ipswin

When Hurst was here before it was pretty much him, Doigy, Dave and Andy Warrington. I think Greg the fitness guy was doing a bit for free.

Now he’s got,

Him
Doigy
Ben Davis
Greg the fitness guy
Keeper coach (who’s not the reserve keeper)
Dave
A masseur
An analyst
A kit man
I think there is another lad helping out with SAQ stuff as well.

On top of this though we’ll struggle for goals without McAtee and Taylor he’s got most positions covered without having to take a punt on a young kid.

The new owners also have the liability of paying off Fenty and making the training ground and BP fit for purpose for the short term.

To say they haven’t pushed the boat out is probably right if your expecting us to sign numerous players for 6 figure fees but they have invested in sustainable growth which in the mind of most supporters I know is the right path.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 87
darren9
October 31, 2021, 8:41pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +607
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from HertsGTFC

When Hurst was here before it was pretty much him, Doigy, Dave and Andy Warrington. I think Greg the fitness guy was doing a bit for free.

Now he’s got,

Him
Doigy
Ben Davis
Greg the fitness guy
Keeper coach (who’s not the reserve keeper)
Dave
A masseur
An analyst
A kit man
I think there is another lad helping out with SAQ stuff as well.

On top of this though we’ll struggle for goals without McAtee and Taylor he’s got most positions covered without having to take a punt on a young kid.

The new owners also have the liability of paying off Fenty and making the training ground and BP fit for purpose for the short term.

To say they haven’t pushed the boat out is probably right if your expecting us to sign numerous players for 6 figure fees but they have invested in sustainable growth which in the mind of most supporters I know is the right path.

To say the new owners “haven’t pushed the boat out” is unfair. They’ve put a lot of money into areas that aren’t the playing squad some listed above. This makes us a better club. Throwing money at players is a short term strategy. Investing elsewhere is long term and I’d much rather the owners do that than short term fixes.

Putting money into the playing squad may give you a temporary uplift but ignoring the other elements of a football club gets you relegations.

If investing in the facilities, coaches, the ground, infrastructure and other areas means the playing budget is slightly less than so be it. The “when does a (insert non playing staff cost) get you 3 points on a Saturday?” Attitude has been proven to be short sighted and wrong.

The current squad and decisions made sees us second in the league and having only lost twice so far this season. That’s not a bad place to be and we’ve got there on a wave of optimism. this handwringing from fans about a new striker is damaging the positivity. It’s cliched but we’re stronger together and we need to back the club, the staff and the players that are here.

In hurst, Stockwood, and Petit we trust.

Twitter: @DarrenLeeNewman
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 87
TwoLeftFeet
October 31, 2021, 9:31pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,076
Gold Stars: 18
Im sure if Hurst was to identify another Bogle/Hearn the board would back him with the funds necessary etc..
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 87
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We need to bring in that extra striker ASAP

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.