9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
davmariner
November 6, 2021, 11:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,860
Gold Stars: 75
I’m pleased with the team that Hurst has assembled but despite the furore (and understandably so given our start to the season), I always had in the back of my mind, “what happens if Taylor or McAtee get injured?”.

On our day and with a fully fit team, we probably have a team as good as any in this league but my concern is that I don’t feel we have the strength in depth to cope with the rigours of a full season and be able to mount a sustained title challenge.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 87
louth_in_the_south
November 7, 2021, 7:52am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +5,549
Gold Stars: 94
I’m all for signing a player for a fee if he scores us goals and we sell on for a big profit . It’s a business model we should be able to do now on the back of increased income .

There’s players like bogle out there .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 87
toontown
November 7, 2021, 2:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from davmariner
I’m pleased with the team that Hurst has assembled but despite the furore (and understandably so given our start to the season), I always had in the back of my mind, “what happens if Taylor or McAtee get injured?”.

On our day and with a fully fit team, we probably have a team as good as any in this league but my concern is that I don’t feel we have the strength in depth to cope with the rigours of a full season and be able to mount a sustained title challenge.

I don't think it's squad depth were lacking in particularly, bearing in mind our level I think we have some strong options (we obviously can't afford to carry lots of players who won't be in the first 11 who are as of as strong a calibre as they are). I think it's more specific to position, were lacking up top with just mcatee, Taylor and lennie. Lenny I clearly inferior to taylor and nobody can replace mcatee it seems. Hurst was obviously hoping to sign a no 9, probably tshimanga but that didn't come off and in the meantime has hoped, whilst still looking out for a striker, that one of sousa, bapaga, Wight (or when fit Grant or scannel) could do a decent job invthat role as a stop gap. But Grant and scannel still aren't fit, Wright has become unfit again, sousa looks poor in the box (albeit great out of it) and bapaga lacks work rate.
Not sure what the answer is but I'd be inclined to go back to 4-4-1-1 with the same team as before (injuries permitting) but trying bapaga in the mcatee role. I think he has the ability to perform that function albeit we obviously lose out on mcatees work rate contributing in midfield and defending from the front.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 87
Heswall Mariner
November 7, 2021, 3:42pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +580
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
I’m all for signing a player for a fee if he scores us goals and we sell on for a big profit . It’s a business model we should be able to do now on the back of increased income .

There’s players like bogle out there .

He's still out there - for a good reason it seems.

However  I seem to recall Chesterfield paid circa £250k for Tshimanga & he's bagged 12 goals in 14 games so far.
Probably on big money as well but their gamble has so far paid off.
Stockport & Wrexham punts have so far have not - it 'aint easy to get it right that's for sure.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 87
Wiley2405
November 8, 2021, 10:48am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +663
Gold Stars: 20
Shaun Jeffers @ St Albans.

29 years old, 23 goals in 26 games for them

14 goals in 11 in the league this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 87
Perkins
November 8, 2021, 11:38am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,964
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Wiley2405

You obviously watched the St Albans v FGR game

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 87
pontoonlew
November 8, 2021, 12:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
Quoted from Wiley2405

29 years old with more clubs than Tiger Woods, as well as a poor record at this level.

Found his level
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 87
acko338
November 8, 2021, 2:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
A one month loan with a guaranteed first team run may persuade someone higher in the EFL to allow out a striker for game time?

Chances being created, but not taken.

Even with a salary disparity, we need a front man to keep us in the top 2 or 3 until after the time needed for Taylor and McAtee regaining full fitness and resuming their partnership, which allows so much more free room for others to play !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 87
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We need to bring in that extra striker ASAP

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.