9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Heswall Mariner
October 31, 2021, 9:52pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +590
Gold Stars: 30
I suspect we have a pay structure installed that not only makes economic sense but precludes any fast bucks merchants coming in to disrupt the harmony in the dressing room.
Players who have that rare ability to score regularly have agents who know that & thus, if available, reflect their demands.
I don't like the loan system as these guys are just passing through to eventually return to their parent clubs possibly better players.
However needs must & I understand the PH philosophy of patience in seeking a talent from a level above on loan to bag us some goals in the absence of JM & a striker.
Ah well time just enough to top up the glass before the missus comes in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 87
gobby
October 31, 2021, 10:26pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +772
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from AussieMariner

How much can a koala bear?

Not a lot without a paddle apparently!  
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 87
jamesgtfc
October 31, 2021, 11:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,955
Gold Stars: 190
It's hard to recruit from below given the lack of football over the last 20 months but I've just had a look at the National League North top scorers. 22 year old Cedwyn Scott at Gateshead will probably be attracting some attention.

Glenn Taylor at Spennymoor impressed me when I saw him earlier this season but he has a good job and earns £900 p/w apparently!

Harry Cardwell and James Hanson feature high up the list too!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 87
Garth
November 1, 2021, 9:15am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from jamesgtfc
It's hard to recruit from below given the lack of football over the last 20 months but I've just had a look at the National League North top scorers. 22 year old Cedwyn Scott at Gateshead will probably be attracting some attention.

Glenn Taylor at Spennymoor impressed me when I saw him earlier this season but he has a good job and earns £900 p/w apparently!

Harry Cardwell and James Hanson feature high up the list too!

Not saying never, but we've been there last season with promising goalscorers who did not make the grade, no need to panic just because we lost two games that we could have easily won
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 87
MarinerDevil
November 1, 2021, 12:12pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,737
Gold Stars: 80
I don't think we are limited by our investments in infrastructure or coaching.  In his first interview after completing the takeover, Stockwood said, "we're prepared to stand behind some pretty substantial losses", which I took to mean that they will personally be backing the improvements to - and eventually replacement of - training facilities, etc.  The Fenty payments have been budgeted for.  So we should be looking at a budget surplus heading into January.

What kind of forward do we need anyway?  Probably a more direct player than what we have, preferably with pace, who could perhaps play off Taylor/LJL.  I also think we could do with a left-sided midfielder/winger.  I presumed Revan would be an option there but Hurst sees him as a back-up to Crookes at LB.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 87
diehardmariner
November 1, 2021, 12:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,544
Gold Stars: 537
I didn't actually think it was the striking position that was the problem on Saturday, it was the absence of McAtee.  

LJL did what he could but was badly isolated without someone genuinely operating just off him.  Fox was deployed further upfield and did his best, but not his game and he got sucked back into midfield (a criticism that's been levelled at McAtee at times this season too).  Taylor came on and was equally as isolated and I felt actually got less involved than LJL.  

It doesn't matter who we play up top, be it LJL or Taylor, it's the gap left by McAtee that's the real issue.  If he's not available we need to either be able to replace him in a like-for-like way or change the system to adapt.

Like-for-like wise I think the only person we've got the in building who could do that role is Scannell, unfortunately he's never fit so we probably need to give up on that idea.  We therefore, in my opinion anyway, need to adjust the system to make sure we're not reliant on a guy floating about in the hole to make things happen.  

Other than McAtee, one of our biggest strengths this season has been our ability to basically outrun and dominate teams in midfield.  It's essential we don't lose that either.

If we want to still boss the midfield and be able to press and create from other areas, I think we need to look at overloading from wide.  That's going to either have to come from having the full-backs pushing forward more and/or wingbacks with wingers operating much higher and closer to Taylor/LJL.

I know Hurst likes what Clifton brings from wide, but he isn't a real attacking threat.  Equally so with McAtee's energy missing from the central areas we need to realign that a little.  I'd like to see Clifton in a midfield 3 with Hunt and Fox.  Sousa and Bapaga either side of the striker for a genuine front 3.  Also the full-backs pushing forward into the space vacated by the wingers moving forward more.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 87
Mayaman
November 1, 2021, 2:53pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,400
Gold Stars: 74
PH said Grant will prob be on the bench.  I've never seen him play but he can play up front.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 87
chaos33
November 1, 2021, 3:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
Agree on Grant. I’d like to see another forward come in but I’d also like to see if Bapaga might play effectively where McAtee does. Additionally, I think we might need to be a bit bolder in both full back positions to address the ‘isolation’ issue, and that means Efete and Revan instead of Sears and Crookes in certain games.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 87
Maringer
November 1, 2021, 4:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
I thought Fox's advanced role in the first half was as much a case of stopping their No. 18 building play out from the back as it was supporting LJL. A more defensive sort of a role, despite the advanced starting position. I also thought that Sousa was supposed to be the main one pushing forward but he did end up wide more often than not so not sure if this actually was the case.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 87
toontown
November 1, 2021, 6:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,269
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from diehardmariner

I know Hurst likes what Clifton brings from wide, but he isn't a real attacking threat.  Equally so with McAtee's energy missing from the central areas we need to realign that a little.  I'd like to see Clifton in a midfield 3 with Hunt and Fox.  Sousa and Bapaga either side of the striker for a genuine front 3.  Also the full-backs pushing forward into the space vacated by the wingers moving forward more.

Didn't we try that in the game mcatee came on in about the 70th minute? Think we have tried something like that a couple of times. Never really worked.

I think bapaga could play the mcatee role but we would definitely lose something work rate wise. However I would hope bapagas seemingly very high efficiency of end product in terms of penalties/assists/goals might make up for that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 87
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We need to bring in that extra striker ASAP

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.