HertsGTFC
October 30, 2021, 11:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,934
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Plankton

He went into a tackle and lent awkwardly on his elbow from my view and my initial reaction was that he dislocated his shoulder, this was my thought before he appeared to show difficulty.

Ouch !!!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 131
Maringer
October 30, 2021, 11:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
I reckon Sears will be out for a few weeks so hopefully Efete will be ready to return for the next game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 131
Poojah
October 30, 2021, 11:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,541
Gold Stars: 1,500
Frustrating way to lose a game. County were well organised, but absolutely dreadful on the ball in the first half - the amount of mistakes they made was unreal. You knew there they were going to improve in the second half.

That said, Town dominated the game without ever really going close to scoring, despite decent looking opportunities for the likes of Sousa and Taylor. I thought we got it tactically right given the personnel fit and available, but needed the all important goal which never came.

Because of that, I can’t subscribe to the idea that we were ‘robbed’. The better team perhaps, but despite looking utterly impotent first half I thought they looked a real threat during their occasional forays forward.

If you’re still punching in the 12th round of the fight, you always have the chance to land that knockout blow. If today was a boxing match, we’d have won comfortably on points had we not been sparked out at the death. But that’s football.

Frustrating as fúck, but not the end of the world. It was a decent performance, undermined by missing a couple of key players at the sharp end of the pitch. I think now is the time to reinforce there.

We will recover. Giles Coke my MoM - thought he was magnificent today.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 131
MarinerDevil
October 30, 2021, 11:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,773
Gold Stars: 80
I wasn't feeling too optimistic walking in today; felt like we were heading into a dip in form.  And so it's transpired, although it was a real sickener to lose it at the death like that.  

We performed well for most the game.  No one had a bad day, midfield was strong and kept the ball well between them, defence really solid again aside from being caught at the end.  We started on the front foot, pressing high and forcing a usually high-possession County into plenty of over-hit passes.  Sousa and Sears looked like they'd developed a bit more of an understanding, and Sears seemed more confident in sliding balls into LJL/Fox/Sousa just in front of their back four.  We created a couple of good chances; no idea how the Shop dug out that shot that hit the bar but it would have been a great goal had it dipped in time.  

Sears going off meant Revan had to fill in at RB, his non-preferred side, which he did quite well but Notts targeted him after the break with the addition of a very quick midfielder making runs into the channel.  This resulted in Revan and Waterfall regularly being turned towards their own goal, forcing Sousa deeper to show for the ball.  This stopped Sousa from being very effective; he regularly beat players with ease on the break but it was always in the wrong area of the pitch - deep in his own half.  Real shame about the goal as a 0-0 wouldn't have been a bad result.  It felt like we got caught pressing too high chasing a winner, with Crookes pushing high late on, leaving a spare man for Wootton to flick on to.  I have to be critical of Macca for pushing the shot into the centre of the box, you'd expect most keepers to tip that away for a corner.  Several factors involved though, including Towler surprisingly losing a challenge, so no scapegoating here.

The McAtee and Efete absences are creating a tactical problem for us as we struggle to find space in the pocket behind the opposition's midfield, so we can't stretch their defence with quick balls out wide.  We also don't create overloads against full-backs often enough.  

Not too much to be down about though.  Still 2nd, still averaging 2 PPG.  We have an outstanding player in Towler, who has an absurd amount of composure for this level, we're very lucky to have him.  Atmosphere was pretty good in the Upper.  Big opportunity at Aldershot in two weeks to arrest this mini slump in form.  

Onto the Cup.  UTM.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 131
sydney
October 30, 2021, 11:55pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Jeez that was sickening
Like town of old
That was NC first shot at goal
So Frustrating
We where the better side but we need to hurt teams more as well as keeping possession and playing it round the park well
If that’s the best the league had to offer we should be ok
Boreham Wood top
Come on we are Town!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 131
Plankton
October 30, 2021, 11:57pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,214
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Poojah
Frustrating way to lose a game. County were well organised, but absolutely dreadful on the ball in the first half - the amount of mistakes they made was unreal. You knew there they were going to improve in the second half.

That said, Town dominated the game without ever really going close to scoring, despite decent looking opportunities for the likes of Sousa and Taylor. I thought we got it tactically right given the personnel fit and available, but needed the all important goal which never came.

Because of that, I can’t subscribe to the idea that we were ‘robbed’. The better team perhaps, but despite looking utterly impotent first half I thought they looked a real threat during their occasional forays forward.

If you’re still punching in the 12th round of the fight, you always have the chance to land that knockout blow. If today was a boxing match, we’d have done comfortably on points had we not been sparked out at the death. But that’s football.

Frustrating as fúck, but not the end of the world. It was a decent performance, undermined by missing a couple of key players at the sharp end of the pitch. I think now is the time to reinforce there.

We will recover. Giles Coke my MoM - thought he was magnificent today.

Sound analysis Poojah. There was no robbery in this game, it was up for both teams to take all 3 points at any point in the game, it just took a goal. Unfortunately for us it landed straight to one of their lads to slot it home and allowed them to take the points.

We did well and managed their play, but they also did very well in stopping us getting forward, especially in the first half. As the game went on it became more open and we did have half chances which if we had a striker on their game we may have scored.

For me there's far too may haves, might'ves, should'ves. LJL holds the ball so well and draws players to him, with 2 players marking him at times, which should be rife for a forward to run on from that, but we don't have those options.

Sousa is dynamite and at times I wish he didn't pass and kept going as the ball he put in wasn't equally met from his efforts with the touch.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 131
arryarryarry
October 31, 2021, 12:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,045
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from sydney
Jeez that was sickening
Like town of old
That was NC first shot at goal
So Frustrating
We where the better side but we need to hurt teams more as well as keeping possession and playing it round the park well
If that’s the best the league had to offer we should be ok
Boreham Wood top
Come on we are Town!!

No it wasn't.
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 131
Chrisblor
October 31, 2021, 12:37am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 235
Very confused about the Coke praise. Thought he was awful on the ball today. Missed an incredible amount of opportunities to play progressive attacking passes to town players making dangerous runs and instead chose to put his foot on the ball and knock it back to the defence instead every time. Made it easy for Notts County to get back into their positions and meant we failed to stretch them as often as we could have. Yeah he's solid defensively but we're so much better with Fox & Hunt as the two deep midfielders instead because they're both far more inclined to play quick forward passes. Suppose the only way we could do that with McAtee out is by playing Bapaga in his role and playing Fox deeper instead.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 131
Running like emson
October 31, 2021, 12:58am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +285
Gold Stars: 8
Really good game of football today (national league!). Frustrating for town but we played well for a team in the 5th tier. Towler and Hunt are a class apart. Just missing a cutting edge…. But a full BP with the main stand in voice at times!!

County support(great to see the numbers)  was very tepid: sing when we are winning..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 131
Limerick Mariner
October 31, 2021, 1:19am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Running like emson
Really good game of football today (national league![/b]). Frustrating for town but we played well for a team in the 5th tier. [b]Towler and Hunt are a class apart. Just missing a cutting edge…. But a full BP with the main stand in voice at times!!

County support(great to see the numbers)  was very tepid: sing when we are winning..

Wouldn't say really good game, but the way we moved the ball about is streets ahead of the dross of last season, and that wasn't just from Town the whole league was poor. nice to 1000+ in the Osmond but actually 1087 is poor considering their home attendances - but they've never travelled well to Cleethorpes for some reason. Stockport had 1600 fans at Notts last week and they've been a heap of shite so far.

Both Towler and Hunt were excellent and I thought Coke had a good game. We are not going to win the title without exceptional luck with the fitness of Taylor and McAtee from this point on. We don't look like a team that will score many key goals feeding off the scraps of half chances. We've played all the big spenders now save Chesterfield and they look like strong favourite with the Tshimanga strike rate. Of course he might get injured...
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 131
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.