14 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
October 30, 2021, 5:10pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

Short and sweet we was robbed.

We were far the better team today, tbh I was expecting far more from County.

Taylor and McAtee a big miss.

If County are one of the favourites to go up we have nothing to fear.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
GtfcGarner
October 30, 2021, 5:12pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +31 / -13
Approval: +1,788
Gold Stars: 26
Macca gifted them the game, end of.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 131
dapperz fun pub
October 30, 2021, 5:14pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from GtfcGarner

You will get shot for saying that on here
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 131
grimps
October 30, 2021, 5:16pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,093
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

No mans bigger than the team or the club , I think he’ll be dropped for the cup game and it could be a good time for a change for a few games
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 131
Chrisblor

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,764
Gold Stars: 233
You can't be robbed if you don't have any shots on target.

gary jones
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 131
Hagrid

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,391
Gold Stars: 529
Did not deserve to lose that. We gave as good as we got, worked hard, coke i felt was excellent.
We need a striker, we needed one before today we need one before the next league game.
The goal, crookes was woefully out of postiton, macca? Id need to see it back but looked like he flapped it literally to the penalty spot.

Gutted tbh, point was fair and Notts were average but they’ve got 3 points and we got 0
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 131
promotion plaice
October 30, 2021, 5:17pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193
Quoted from Chrisblor
You can't be robbed if you don't have any shots on target.

True but the shop was unlucky when he hit the bar.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 131
pontoonlew
October 30, 2021, 5:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,841
Gold Stars: 167
Yes we were the better side but we were absolutely hopeless in front of goal.

Today taught me two things, firstly we’ve dropped a bollock not signing a striker and believing Lenny is reasonable backup, secondly the refs in this division are absolutely garbage.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 131
lukeo
October 30, 2021, 5:28pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,354
Gold Stars: 143
We played well at times, created some half decent chances.. They realistically created next to nothing. Embarrassing to lose to such a poor team but oh well... We go again!
Now for my journey back to somerset!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 131
Plankton
October 30, 2021, 5:29pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,197
Gold Stars: 38
McKeown pushing the ball back to one of their strikers is terrible.

We need a a striker, as soon as possible. LJL just isn’t up to it and there’s no signs of improvement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 131
TAGG
October 30, 2021, 5:33pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,960
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from GtfcGarner

What the intercourse are you talking about.
He made the save then it was down to the defence to get rid.
FFS why
Why don't you Macca haters intercourse off.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 131
DB
October 30, 2021, 5:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,973
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from pontoonlew
Yes we were the better side but we were absolutely hopeless in front of goal.

Today taught me two things, firstly we’ve dropped a bollock not signing a striker and believing Lenny is reasonable backup, secondly the refs in this division are absolutely garbage.

According to the pre-match from Hurst, he tried to sign a striker from a championship and a L1 club.

Firstly, you need a striker to complement what you have.
Secondly, they have to have the desire to come.

This is the problem Hurst has and as quoted somewhere, league clubs are reluctant to release their 2nd/3rd rate strikers on loan as they cannot replace them till the Jan window. No point filling a No 9 shirt unless he fits the jigsaw.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 131
toontown
October 30, 2021, 5:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
Completely dominated territoriality and very dominant possession wise against a possession based team. It was a total smash abd grab from them, they offered nothing and looked pretty poor but there you go. Definitely missing something up top without mcatee or taylor, lennie had another poor game although worked hard. I was surprised bapaga didn't get to co.e on withb15 to go with all that pressure around their box and them so vulnerable at that time it was surely made for him - shows Hurst still doesn't fully trust him due to lack of work rate and was more willing to accept what he expected to be a draw.
Thought the midfield worked very well, Coke was good, they all were, but lack of cutting edge up top - an extra striker definitely needed.
Gutted to come away from a good display, bearing in mind the lack of mcatee and taylor(starting), with nothing. But definitely heartened that with taylor and others back/new striker we can return to winning ways
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 131
pontoonlew
October 30, 2021, 5:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from DB

According to the pre-match from Hurst, he tried to sign a striker from a championship and a L1 club.

This is the problem Hurst has and as quoted somewhere, league clubs are reluctant to release their 2nd/3rd rate strikers on loan as they cannot replace them till the Jan window. No point filling a No 9 shirt unless he fits the jigsaw.

We’re going in this cycle again.

Step 1 -  Shout down those who raise the alarm bells that we’re short on players

Step 2 - Call those who don’t think LJL is up to it ‘negative’ and say how fantastic his hold up play is and if you can’t see it then you don’t know football

Step 3 - something goes wrong

Step 4 - claim there are no strikers left on the planet

And repeat
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 131
ginnywings
October 30, 2021, 5:41pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Two games without our two best attackers and no goals scored, with two 1-0 defeats. Think the problem is obvious.

I thought we were better than them and if anyone deserved to win, it was us. Would have settled for a draw but our mistakes led to their two moments of danger in the second half.

Decent performance without the cutting edge. Too many nearly moments when a better pass/cross/shot could have led to a goal.

They got the luck that the parry fell straight into their path and no time to recover.

Our high press worked well, but we didn't have the players on the pitch in forward areas to capitalise. We will play worse and win.

Nearly, but not quite.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 131
psgmariner
October 30, 2021, 5:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Game of two halves. Thought we edged the first half but can only remember LJL’s cross landing on the bar as being the closest we got. 2nd half we looked 2nd best and they were much more likely to score. Their left mid was very effective.

Bad result but we’ve not suddenly become crap. If we had 2 decent strikers on the pitch I’m confident we wouldn’t have lost.

Private Message
Reply: 15 - 131
ginnywings
October 30, 2021, 5:45pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from psgmariner
Game of two halves. Thought we edged the first half but can only remember LJL’s cross landing on the bar as being the closest we got. 2nd half we looked 2nd best and they were much more likely to score. Their left mid was very effective.

Bad result but we’ve not suddenly become crap. If we had 2 decent strikers on the pitch I’m confident we wouldn’t have lost.

Really?

Not the way I saw it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 131
rancido
October 30, 2021, 5:47pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,532
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from pontoonlew

Step 1 -  Shout down those who raise the alarm bells that we’re short on players

Step 2 - Call those who don’t think LJL is up to it ‘negative’ and say how fantastic his hold up play is and if you can’t see it then you don’t know football

And repeat

Nobody is claiming there are no strikers on the planet FFS. Hurst has been knocked back on some and decided another one wasn't suitable. Of course it is simple signing another striker - you can just go down to your local Football Player Superstore and pick an appropriate one off the shelf!

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 131
Perkins
October 30, 2021, 5:48pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
FFS first home defeat, still second, major  players out, lost by one goal to a very average side, and the slugs crawl out from the compost heap.
Get a bloody grip.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 131
LH
October 30, 2021, 5:49pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,459
Gold Stars: 172
We had the vast majority of the game but they pounced on the only really chance of the game. I don’t want to blame McKeown but the parry was straight into the area where you’d want a follow up shot. excrement happens. Didn’t think much to County - especially in the first half where they seemed to struggle with keeping the ball within the confines of the playing area. It’s a real sickener tonight but there’s hours and hours of football left to play and we’ve got a good chance for the ill and injured to get fit again before we play in the league again.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 131
MuddyWaters
October 30, 2021, 5:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
We were the better of two decent sides, didn’t take our chances and conceded a pretty soft goal where our keeper unfortunately pushed a shot out into the centre of the goal.

Tough call to say it was his fault.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 131
HertsGTFC
October 30, 2021, 5:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
A draw would have been fair as it would have been at Woking a few weeks back then we came out winners that day.

Overall we did a good job at the back and in mid field apart from one lapse for the goal. Up front we where clueless.

We had a proven striker in the bench and he arguably should have been on earlier. We also should have considered Bapaga as he”ll run beyond the line.

I think Macca will be disappointed with their goal but he’s not solely to blame as we should have tracked all of their runners.

It’s the end of October and we’re 2nd in the league so it’s not all doom and gloom.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 131
DB
October 30, 2021, 6:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew

And repeat

I don't know why you quoted my post above as I never said any of these things.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 131
Ipswin
October 30, 2021, 6:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Perkins
lost by one goal to a very average side, .

And that's the bit that worries me. Thank intercourse we weren't playing a good team

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 131
pontoonlew
October 30, 2021, 6:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Nobody is claiming there are no strikers on the planet FFS. Hurst has been knocked back on some and decided another one wasn't suitable. Of course it is simple signing another striker - you can just go down to your local Football Player Superstore and pick an appropriate one off the shelf!

We’ve had months to sort it, for parts of that Hurst said he was satisfied with what he had which astonished me at the time.

A lot has gone well this season but it’s a huge error imo and one that was avoidable
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 131
marinette
October 30, 2021, 6:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
Grimsby have become the team to beat - from the way the Notts C fans celebrated afterwards, anyone would think they'd won a cup final.  Our opponents will have been doing their homework on us and trying to stifle our play.  I didn't go to Wealdstone, but they dealt with us by 'parking the bus', by all accounts.  Today, I noticed Luke Waterfall was really having to battle to get through their players whenever we got a corner - they'd got his number, and I don't remember him even being able to rise up for a header - all I saw was him struggling and wrestling to get free of those around him.  The first couple of corners were rolled in, in any case, and weren't very effective.  

Nice to see Taylor back - he seemed to add a bit of dynamism when he came on.  Sousa tried to break through once or twice but it didn't come to anything.  Harry C battled hard and got chopped down a couple of times for his pains.  Struggling again for a MoM - I thought about Fox, who seemed to be flying around all over the place, but will go for Harry, simply because he picked himself up after those fierce tackles and kept going.  I think we miss him when he's not there.

Private Message
Reply: 25 - 131
DB
October 30, 2021, 6:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
On May 5th a new club rose from the ashes. If somebody had said then Town will be 2nd from the top of the NL how many would have berated the poster and how many would have agreed?

Sometimes you have to look back to where you were to realise where you are now.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 131
quebec38
October 30, 2021, 6:10pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,576
Gold Stars: 48
Not a bad performance in all. We were the better side throughout which makes the knee jerk, throw it all in the bin and start again reactions all the more annoying.
We were good until the ball went in to Lenny and then things broke down.

Notts look like a side that are trying to run before they can walk. They were stinking in the first half. For a side with 2 good goal scorers like they have they should be finding them more because they play in a way that gives them nothing. Or maybe we just gave them nothing.

Fair play to them though they got their subs bang on. The no11 up against Revan in the second half was a game changer. Diagonals in between Him and Waterfall started to cause problems.

We need another centre forward but let’s just draw a line under that one.

If anything hopefully that will see a hundred or 2 off the gate for the next game. The Hurst-outers, boo-ers and racists can stop at home thanks.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 131
TAGG
October 30, 2021, 6:11pm

Vodka Drinker
We will get the FA cup game out of the way, get our players back fit and be at it again.
Two games after the FA cup game, 6 points.
Then 5 games against top 7 sides, at least 10 points.
We will be back on it sooner rather than later.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 131
Ipswin
October 30, 2021, 6:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from DB

Sometimes you have to look back to where you were to realise where you are now.

Can I look back to just before we played Wealdstone please?

Private Message
Reply: 29 - 131
MuddyWaters
October 30, 2021, 6:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Just on performances, the best players were the usual suspects, Towler, Waterfall, Fox, Crookes and Clifton. Sousa lost possession too often, Revan isn’t ready for men’s football and Lenny was Lenny.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 131
Kris2
October 30, 2021, 6:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
Very frustrating game to watch, lots of huff and puff from both teams with no end product and always felt like it would come down to a single goal. We looked most likely to get the goal but no real quality when it came down to the final touch, they scored on a random chance and feel like a foul wasn't given just before it so we seemed hard done by. Hunt seemed off the boil a bit, his set pieces and passing delivery felt off so hope he can recapture some of that form again soon.

It's another disappointing game where we didn't make things happen but not that down about it. Decent crowd today including the away following, felt like proper support for both sides.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 131
headingly_mariner
October 30, 2021, 6:14pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Thought we played alright and they are very lucky to have left with the 3 points. They were completely unambitious and came for a point. Thought their fans were possibly the quietist of any large away following I’ve ever seen.

Have to say they could well have been down to 10 for the horror challenge on Harry Clifton.

Missed McAtee, then Sears when he went off.

No need for any major panic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 131
NorthLondonMariner
October 30, 2021, 6:14pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +415
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from promotion plaice

Short and sweet we was robbed.

We where far the better team today, tbh I was expecting far more from County.

Taylor and McAtee where a big miss.

If County are one of the favourites to go up we have nothing to fear.

What he said.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 131
zorro_is_a_Mariner
October 30, 2021, 6:19pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +30 / -6
Approval: +1,369
Gold Stars: 4
I think the vast majority of us will say we was the better team we controlled most of the tempo and play and had the better of chances, it is frustrating and will be for a good few days but this team we have are very competitive and we've got a great chance of getting promotion this season.
Last minute goals happen and its flipping horrible when it happens to us but that's football and if we don't take our chances there's always a chance that can happen.

Gutted tonight but we must dust ourselves down, we are a point of top and looking alright. Couple of games after the cup game for us to take full points and then roll on the Xmas period utm.

Gtfc all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 131
ska face
October 30, 2021, 6:22pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,567
Gold Stars: 839
McKeown isn’t good enough if you want to finish 1st. By a long stretch.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 131
Humbercod
October 30, 2021, 6:23pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,494
Gold Stars: 82
Two bang average looking teams with only one managing to get a shot on target. We have looked anything but champions elect since the Yeovil game. I don’t even know who was up front with Lennie today who once again looked isolated. County where there for the taking be we simply had nothing to offer in the final 3rd. Pacey striker to play off Taylor urgently required.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 131
sonofmadeleymariner
October 30, 2021, 6:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,452
Gold Stars: 37
3 points dropped.

We were the better team by far, just lacked that little extra bit up front. Can't remember a shot on goal though.

Ref was excrement, but generally excrement didn't really impact the game all too much, except if he had booked their no.20 for the dive early doors he would of been sent off for the 2nd yellow and not there to score.

Hurst got his subs wrong? Revan on right took something away, thought he should of dropped Harry in there and brought Bapa onto the wing. As much as I love the Shop, Taylor should of been on 10 mins earlier, it was obviously not his day and he was starting to look tired by that point. Obviously bringing Bapa on at 1 nil down with 3 mins left is pointless, he's not going to affect the game at that point.

Anyone else think Sousa looked a little out of sorts for the 1st half? He was much better in the 2nd don't get me wrong, but he looked lost in the 1st.

Are we a 1 man team? Hearing no McAtee for at least 4 weeks. Could be a hard November ahead  

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 131
GtfcGarner
October 30, 2021, 6:24pm

Champagne Drinker
Tell you what this flipping forum is full off happy clappers. Macca gifted there goal to them today and there are people rushing to his defence. intercourse right off. We played OK and deserved a draw yet people are happy to recognise him as christ the second coming.. Not having it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 131
dicko995
October 30, 2021, 6:25pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -259
Gold Stars: 21
It goes to show that we miss the Mctee/ Taylor partnership, we seem to be so exciting in attack when they are playing. And as for The Shop, i never want to see him play again. His touches today were so pathetic, fell over too many times, was at a loss to where his players were, and was subbed too late in the game. Taylor and Bapaga should of been introduced much earlier, and cant understand why Bapaga wasnt playing from the start. Dont mind the red crosses, its my feelings, and many others. Definately need a new number 9 this week. Otherwise, Ben Fox chased everything, but i thought Harry had a quiet game first half. Notts C. werent troubled too often, but werent much of a threat, apart from their small winger who showed pace at times. Macca,s flap at the ball ended up at Notts C. player, game over. Hunts corners were a lot to be desired, but got better near the end, a draw would of been fair to a dire game. Its a setback, the fortress has succumbed, we pick ourselves up, and go again at Kidderminster, and its gotta be a win. McAtee out for a while, so we need to get a loanee in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 131
Hagrid
October 30, 2021, 6:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from dicko995
It goes to show that we miss the Mctee/ Taylor partnership, we seem to be so exciting in attack when they are playing. And as for The Shop, i never want to see him play again. His touches today were so pathetic, fell over too many times, was at a loss to where his players were, and was subbed too late in the game. Taylor and Bapaga should of been introduced much earlier, and cant understand why Bapaga wasnt playing from the start. Dont mind the red crosses, its my feelings, and many others. Definately need a new number 9 this week. Otherwise, Ben Fox chased everything, but i thought Harry had a quiet game first half. Notts C. werent troubled too often, but werent much of a threat, apart from their small winger who showed pace at times. Macca,s flap at the ball ended up at Notts C. player, game over. Hunts corners were a lot to be desired, but got better near the end, a draw would of been fair to a dire game. Its a setback, the fortress has succumbed, we pick ourselves up, and go again at Kidderminster, and its gotta be a win. McAtee out for a while, so we need to get a loanee in.

Taylor has a tight hamstring

Bapaga defensively offers us nothing and with Notts having overlapping wingers i think thats why he didnt start. Id have had him on with 15 left however
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 131
thevera
October 30, 2021, 6:30pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +991
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from TAGG

FFS why

Trying to work out whether this is a genuine observation or tongue-in-cheek! For a start I don’t think it was a shot at goal, looked more like a badly over hit cross. One which would possibly have sailed over everyone for a throw in (might need to see it again though).  Having decided he needed to deal with it he should have done much better than parry it up in the air and down on to the penalty spot to the county forward who accepted the gift. Agree with others it might’ve time to give him a few games off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 131
DB
October 30, 2021, 6:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

Can I look back to just before we played Wealdstone please?

You certainly can, the bottom of league 2, sh!t owner and no prospects.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 131
Ipswin
October 30, 2021, 6:34pm
Vodka Drinker
McAtee out for 4 weeks according to tonight's Telegraph and that might be more I suppose before he gets back to match sharpness

Private Message
Reply: 43 - 131
Lincspoacher
October 30, 2021, 6:35pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +284
Gold Stars: 15
Firstly, to those saying that we were robbed or the better team today, I can’t agree.

Both teams failed to really test the keeper, but McKeown had more to do than theirs.

We look really blunt in front of goal. Lenny works his behind off, no doubt. But he is never ever going to get us up and we are threatless when he is on.

Defensively we are strong in the centre. Raven looked vulnerable when on and their 2 subs at half time improved their threat 2nd half with the intro of pace.

Hunt was outstanding in the middle and he can really play.

Sousa showed nice touches in areas that were not threatening positions tho and his final ball was weak.

Clifton was bossed physically today and looked slightly off the pace I thought.

Fox was solid, Coke ok at best.

Taylor provides more but waited to late till he came on again.

We have had a decent start but am worried that now facing stronger sides in higher league positions, we may be found out a bit.

Notts by the way no no better overall, but as the home side, we never forced their keeper into 1save did we?

Long season but we need some new players and some more options up front and out wide.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 131
Ipswin
October 30, 2021, 6:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from DB

You certainly can, the bottom of league 2, sh!t owner and no prospects.

You must be looking at the wrong newspaper. According to me we were clear at the top

Private Message
Reply: 45 - 131
Maringer
October 30, 2021, 6:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Didn't deserve to lose, didn't deserve to win. Played some decent stuff but the final pass or cross was lacking quality so we didn't create the clear chances.

The goal came from about the only attacking header they won all game where Towler was caught slightly out of position. This allowed their unmarked no 18 to fire in a shot (don't think he was trying to cross) which McKeown was only able to parry. The fact that some are blaming him entirely is ridiculous. It was a save you'd expect him to make, but I didn't think he could really have done much more than parry it. Just unfortunate that we didn't have the defenders in the box and it fell straight to the scorer.

We're certainly a much lesser team without McAtee so we need to find a way to improve just that small amount to get the results while he's out injured.

Hopefully, Efete will be ready for the next game as I suspect Sears will be out some weeks with his injury (whatever it is). Revan an OK stopgap, but we looked less steady when he came on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 131
Kris2
October 30, 2021, 6:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Quoted from GtfcGarner
Tell you what this flipping forum is full off happy clappers. Macca gifted there goal to them today and there are people rushing to his defence. intercourse right off. We played OK and deserved a draw yet people are happy to recognise him as christ the second coming.. Not having it.

Better than being miserable tbh. He's not let in that many goals this season and no keeper goes through a career without making mistakes or having bad luck on a parry. We played fine up until the final third, if there was a bit more quality to the finish then maybe we would have put the game to bed and not lost through them getting a random chance. To place all the blame on Macca and make him the scapegoat as he's been made many times before is a vast understatement of an entire game where we had lots of the ball but failed to turn it into chances. We had zero shots on target and they had maybe 1 or 2.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 131
DB
October 30, 2021, 6:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

You must be looking at the wrong newspaper. According to me we were clear at the top

Trolling for red crosses. Read the actual question for my answers.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 131
TAGG
October 30, 2021, 6:49pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from thevera

Trying to work out whether this is a genuine observation or tongue-in-cheek! For a start I don’t think it was a shot at goal, looked more like a badly over hit cross. One which would possibly have sailed over everyone for a throw in (might need to see it again though).  Having decided he needed to deal with it he should have done much better than parry it up in the air and down on to the penalty spot to the county forward who accepted the gift. Agree with others it might’ve time to give him a few games off.

balderdash

GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 131
moosey_club
October 30, 2021, 7:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,209
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from toontown
Completely dominated territoriality and very dominant possession wise against a possession based team. It was a total smash abd grab from them, they offered nothing and looked pretty poor but there you go

Or...they contained us without really being troubled

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 131
moosey_club
October 30, 2021, 7:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from DB

Thirdly....he has known since July/ August we have been light in the striking dept......6 points gone in a week cos we can't manage a decent effort on target for all our possession.  

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 131
Fillipe Noche
October 30, 2021, 7:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

How?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 131
lew chaterleys lover
October 30, 2021, 7:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,655
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from ginnywings
Two games without our two best attackers and no goals scored, with two 1-0 defeats. Think the problem is obvious.

I thought we were better than them and if anyone deserved to win, it was us. Would have settled for a draw but our mistakes led to their two moments of danger in the second half.

Decent performance without the cutting edge. Too many nearly moments when a better pass/cross/shot could have led to a goal.

They got the luck that the parry fell straight into their path and no time to recover.

Our high press worked well, but we didn't have the players on the pitch in forward areas to capitalise. We will play worse and win.

Nearly, but not quite.

An excellent summary. I still can't believe some of the quality in our build-up play - the best for years.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 131
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
October 30, 2021, 7:43pm
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,805
Gold Stars: 552
Quoted from Fillipe Noche

How?

Jane Austen bot:

“I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach. You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight years and a half ago. Dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you. Unjust I may have been, weak and resentful I have been, but never inconstant. You alone have brought me to Bath. For you alone, I think and plan. Have you not seen this? Can you fail to have understood my wishes? I had not waited even these ten days, could I have read your feelings, as I think you must have penetrated mine. I can hardly write. I am every instant hearing something which overpowers me. You sink your voice, but I can distinguish the tones of that voice when they would be lost on others. Too good, too excellent creature! You do us justice, indeed. You do believe that there is true attachment and constancy among men. Believe it to be most fervent, most undeviating, in F. W.

I must go, uncertain of my fate; but I shall return hither, or follow your party, as soon as possible. A word, a look, will be enough to decide whether I enter your father's house this evening or never”.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 131
moosey_club
October 30, 2021, 7:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Well.....second game in a week where we have dominated but created very little and lost 1-0.

Alot better overall than the Wealdstone game but as we set up to dominate the possession and subsequently did,  we didn't do a massive amount with it.

The season long need for an extra striker is coming home to roost, Hurst's procrastination has possibly seen us drop at least a share of 6 points this week.

Can't fault the effort of the players today but we need options up top to win the type of games we have faced this week.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 131
Fillipe Noche
October 30, 2021, 7:51pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
One of those difficult to take outcomes today, in a game when we felt well and truly on top for the majority of the game.

The last two games have highlighted a change though, as well as underscoring that, in football, possession isn’t always king.

It’s positive possession with a purpose that is actually king, and we’ve lacked that in the last two games. Yes some of the silky build up play and possession has been easy on the eye. But that all important purpose in the final third has been seriously lacking. It’s not rocket science that it’s down to the loss of McAtee and Taylor, who provide us with dynamic incisive play up top. Need them both back on the pitch from the start ASAP

Over and out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 131
oochiad
October 30, 2021, 8:01pm
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,686
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from psgmariner

LJLs cross??? Are you mental, give the guy some credit. It was a shot……
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 131
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
October 30, 2021, 8:07pm
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,805
Gold Stars: 552
Quoted from Fillipe Noche

It’s positive possession with a purpose that is actually king, and we’ve lacked that in the last two games. Yes some of the silky build up play and possession has been easy on the eye. But that all important purpose in the final third has been seriously lacking.

Now, that I do like.

I mostly agree with it and it is beautifully written. It’s like the missing verse from ‘World In Motion’.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 131
psgmariner
October 30, 2021, 8:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from oochiad

I was going to say he looked up and saw men in the middle so was aiming for them but very hard to tell with Lenny! Either way that was as close as we came to scoring.

Private Message
Reply: 59 - 131
Roast Em Bobby
October 30, 2021, 9:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,720
Gold Stars: 43
Just got back home and read this thread and can't believe some of the comments, in particular thats Notts were better than us in 2nd half, and that Hunt was crap. Yes, we lacked a cutting edge but we pretty much dominated one of the strongest teams in the division and Hunt was head and shouders the best player on the pitch (despite 2 or 3 poor corners). This is the best team we've had for years, and I still feel pretty confident that we will be fighting for the title come the tail end of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 131
MuddyWaters
October 30, 2021, 9:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I’m not sure it was Hunt’s best game but I struggle to understand how and why Hurst would ever leave him on the bench for a league game as he did on Tuesday.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 131
Maringer
October 30, 2021, 9:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Hunt did OK today but I have to say I'm a little disappointed overall that he's not pushed on from the start of the season. I feel he's got the ability to run the game for us but tends to drift in and out too much. We'll be more effective, the more often he receives the ball in midfield. Too often, he's just a bit too deep so can't influence play in the way he should.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 131
Rodley Mariner
October 30, 2021, 9:32pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
I thought we shaded both halves without creating enough and a 0-0 draw would have been a fair result. I think with that team and formation it felt like Sousa was the danger and they largely did a good job on him. I like Clifton and Crookes but neither are going to beat players 1:1 very often so they could focus on our right. With 20 minutes left I would have liked to see Bapaga for Coke and Clifton moved centrally but then at the end I was moaning that we just should just have made sure we didn't get beaten. Luxuries you get when you're a fan rather than the manager I guess.

Lots of 7 out of 10 performances but not the one or two 8/9's that would have seen us win it. It is still a great start though expectations have been raised. Can anyone genuinely say that they wouldn't have taken 29 points from 14 games before the season started though?

Aldershot and Southend feel important before a very tough run of games so great we have two weeks to get ready. Four points from those two as a minimum and ideally six and all will look brighter again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 131
Roast Em Bobby
October 30, 2021, 9:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Hunt did OK today but I have to say I'm a little disappointed overall that he's not pushed on from the start of the season. I feel he's got the ability to run the game for us but tends to drift in and out too much. We'll be more effective, the more often he receives the ball in midfield. Too often, he's just a bit too deep so can't influence play in the way he should.

Sorry but I don't agree with that at all. He's always available to receive the ball in tight spaces with opposing players around him and he very rarely loses possession of the ball. Some of his first touch passes into the feet of our forwards today were sublime (something very few players in this league are capable of). He's a deep lying central midfielder not a forward or a number 10, and he's a big part of why we dominated a midfield that was supposed to be very good at keeping possession, and is crucial in linking the defence with the attack.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 131
pontoonlew
October 30, 2021, 9:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Corners aside (wtf has happened to them) Hunt was class today, too clever for his own good at times in fact after some really good through balls went begging
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 131
TAGG
October 30, 2021, 9:40pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ska face
McKeown isn’t good enough if you want to finish 1st. By a long stretch.

intercourse off

GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 131
MuddyWaters
October 30, 2021, 9:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from TAGG

intercourse off

I’d like to see Crocombe given a start again in the Cup and, if we win, then given a go in the league.
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 131
Rodley Mariner
October 30, 2021, 9:43pm
Special Brew Drinker
I thought the best things we did came when we got Hunt and Sousa on the ball. But anybody wanting Hunt to play as  a number 10 and fill in for McAtee is going to be disappointed as he's just not that player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 131
Hagrid
October 30, 2021, 9:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Probably add that was the quietest  away support of 1000+ ive seen at BP.

But they got 3 points so not sure they’d care
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 131
arryarryarry
October 30, 2021, 9:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from oochiad

I thought it was a cross to the far post.
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 131
ginnywings
October 30, 2021, 9:53pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from arryarryarry

I thought it was a cross to the far post.

Me too, but would have been great for him and the team had it dropped in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 131
Roast Em Bobby
October 30, 2021, 9:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
I was right behind the line of it in the Main Stand and it was definitely an intended shot
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 131
zorro_is_a_Mariner
October 30, 2021, 10:01pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +30 / -6
Approval: +1,369
Gold Stars: 4
Thought hunt played well today kept the ball ticking and fox and coke battled well out of possession we just lacked that goal in what would of been a decent performance.

Gtfc all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 131
acko338
October 30, 2021, 10:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,225
The 2 main forwards out, and the 3rd in line only having played 2 games and no pre season.

The stronger right back out, and his replacement gets injured making Town play a left sided player on the right.

So many pull back fouls missed by the ref.

No one having accurate shooting boots on.

The free kick and corner deliverer having an off day.

A good high possesion side not keeling over to plan.

Result - we are still 2nd in the table, more than many thought at season start, so keep expectations realistic !

A bad results week and the no.10 out for a month.

Time perhaps for a bit of action to bring in a couple of short loan reinforcements while the injured recover.

Big changes next week and another 7 days for some injuries to come good, hopefully.

Still a great start to the season and the next step in the learning curve to break down tight teams.

We could be Southend, THEN you could moan !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 131
joe56
October 30, 2021, 10:46pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +476
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
I was right behind the line of it in the Main Stand and it was definitely an intended shot

So was I, and I totally agree.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 131
TAGG
October 30, 2021, 11:00pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I’d like to see Crocombe given a start again in the Cup and, if we win, then given a go in the league.

On this forum you get hung for slagging off LJL but when it comes to Macca you can say what the intercourse you want.
Today he did what he had to do, the save from the free kick and the save before the goal, what the fook

GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 131
HertsGTFC
October 30, 2021, 11:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Couple of additional thoughts as I did the 3 hour drive home ……

- Thought Coke played well today and the balance between him and Hunt was really good.

- This season in reality Macca has had little to do which is credit to the back 4 but means the lad from NZ needs to start in the cup to keep Macca under pressure.

- Anyone know what happened Sears, wrist I assume.

- Our fitness is generally good under Hurst but can’t help thinking Notts had a bit more in the tank come the last 10 minutes.

If Notts County are considered contenders then we’ll have no problem comfortably making the play offs at least.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 131
Maringer
October 30, 2021, 11:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby

Sorry but I don't agree with that at all. He's always available to receive the ball in tight spaces with opposing players around him and he very rarely loses possession of the ball. Some of his first touch passes into the feet of our forwards today were sublime (something very few players in this league are capable of). He's a deep lying central midfielder not a forward or a number 10, and he's a big part of why we dominated a midfield that was supposed to be very good at keeping possession, and is crucial in linking the defence with the attack.

I wasn't intending to be too critical, just more a sense that I'm disappointed he's not been more incisive much of the time - probably because he's doing so much of the link-up stuff deep in our own half. He's certainly capable of passing the ball into the feet of the forwards but didn't manage it too often today, because he was generally receiving the ball between our 18 yard box and the halfway line.

Get the ball to him 15 or 20 yards further forward and he'll create much more of a threat. The question is whether or not we can get the ball to him in the right areas.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 131
Plankton
October 30, 2021, 11:13pm

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

- Anyone know what happened Sears, wrist I assume.

He went into a tackle and lent awkwardly on his elbow from my view and my initial reaction was that he dislocated his shoulder, this was my thought before he appeared to show difficulty.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 131
HertsGTFC
October 30, 2021, 11:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Plankton

He went into a tackle and lent awkwardly on his elbow from my view and my initial reaction was that he dislocated his shoulder, this was my thought before he appeared to show difficulty.

Ouch !!!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 131
Maringer
October 30, 2021, 11:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I reckon Sears will be out for a few weeks so hopefully Efete will be ready to return for the next game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 131
Poojah
October 30, 2021, 11:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,425
Gold Stars: 1,499
Frustrating way to lose a game. County were well organised, but absolutely dreadful on the ball in the first half - the amount of mistakes they made was unreal. You knew there they were going to improve in the second half.

That said, Town dominated the game without ever really going close to scoring, despite decent looking opportunities for the likes of Sousa and Taylor. I thought we got it tactically right given the personnel fit and available, but needed the all important goal which never came.

Because of that, I can’t subscribe to the idea that we were ‘robbed’. The better team perhaps, but despite looking utterly impotent first half I thought they looked a real threat during their occasional forays forward.

If you’re still punching in the 12th round of the fight, you always have the chance to land that knockout blow. If today was a boxing match, we’d have won comfortably on points had we not been sparked out at the death. But that’s football.

Frustrating as fúck, but not the end of the world. It was a decent performance, undermined by missing a couple of key players at the sharp end of the pitch. I think now is the time to reinforce there.

We will recover. Giles Coke my MoM - thought he was magnificent today.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 131
MarinerDevil
October 30, 2021, 11:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,706
Gold Stars: 80
I wasn't feeling too optimistic walking in today; felt like we were heading into a dip in form.  And so it's transpired, although it was a real sickener to lose it at the death like that.  

We performed well for most the game.  No one had a bad day, midfield was strong and kept the ball well between them, defence really solid again aside from being caught at the end.  We started on the front foot, pressing high and forcing a usually high-possession County into plenty of over-hit passes.  Sousa and Sears looked like they'd developed a bit more of an understanding, and Sears seemed more confident in sliding balls into LJL/Fox/Sousa just in front of their back four.  We created a couple of good chances; no idea how the Shop dug out that shot that hit the bar but it would have been a great goal had it dipped in time.  

Sears going off meant Revan had to fill in at RB, his non-preferred side, which he did quite well but Notts targeted him after the break with the addition of a very quick midfielder making runs into the channel.  This resulted in Revan and Waterfall regularly being turned towards their own goal, forcing Sousa deeper to show for the ball.  This stopped Sousa from being very effective; he regularly beat players with ease on the break but it was always in the wrong area of the pitch - deep in his own half.  Real shame about the goal as a 0-0 wouldn't have been a bad result.  It felt like we got caught pressing too high chasing a winner, with Crookes pushing high late on, leaving a spare man for Wootton to flick on to.  I have to be critical of Macca for pushing the shot into the centre of the box, you'd expect most keepers to tip that away for a corner.  Several factors involved though, including Towler surprisingly losing a challenge, so no scapegoating here.

The McAtee and Efete absences are creating a tactical problem for us as we struggle to find space in the pocket behind the opposition's midfield, so we can't stretch their defence with quick balls out wide.  We also don't create overloads against full-backs often enough.  

Not too much to be down about though.  Still 2nd, still averaging 2 PPG.  We have an outstanding player in Towler, who has an absurd amount of composure for this level, we're very lucky to have him.  Atmosphere was pretty good in the Upper.  Big opportunity at Aldershot in two weeks to arrest this mini slump in form.  

Onto the Cup.  UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 131
sydney
October 30, 2021, 11:55pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Jeez that was sickening
Like town of old
That was NC first shot at goal
So Frustrating
We where the better side but we need to hurt teams more as well as keeping possession and playing it round the park well
If that’s the best the league had to offer we should be ok
Boreham Wood top
Come on we are Town!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 131
Plankton
October 30, 2021, 11:57pm

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah
Frustrating way to lose a game. County were well organised, but absolutely dreadful on the ball in the first half - the amount of mistakes they made was unreal. You knew there they were going to improve in the second half.

That said, Town dominated the game without ever really going close to scoring, despite decent looking opportunities for the likes of Sousa and Taylor. I thought we got it tactically right given the personnel fit and available, but needed the all important goal which never came.

Because of that, I can’t subscribe to the idea that we were ‘robbed’. The better team perhaps, but despite looking utterly impotent first half I thought they looked a real threat during their occasional forays forward.

If you’re still punching in the 12th round of the fight, you always have the chance to land that knockout blow. If today was a boxing match, we’d have done comfortably on points had we not been sparked out at the death. But that’s football.

Frustrating as fúck, but not the end of the world. It was a decent performance, undermined by missing a couple of key players at the sharp end of the pitch. I think now is the time to reinforce there.

We will recover. Giles Coke my MoM - thought he was magnificent today.

Sound analysis Poojah. There was no robbery in this game, it was up for both teams to take all 3 points at any point in the game, it just took a goal. Unfortunately for us it landed straight to one of their lads to slot it home and allowed them to take the points.

We did well and managed their play, but they also did very well in stopping us getting forward, especially in the first half. As the game went on it became more open and we did have half chances which if we had a striker on their game we may have scored.

For me there's far too may haves, might'ves, should'ves. LJL holds the ball so well and draws players to him, with 2 players marking him at times, which should be rife for a forward to run on from that, but we don't have those options.

Sousa is dynamite and at times I wish he didn't pass and kept going as the ball he put in wasn't equally met from his efforts with the touch.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 131
arryarryarry
October 31, 2021, 12:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from sydney
Jeez that was sickening
Like town of old
That was NC first shot at goal
So Frustrating
We where the better side but we need to hurt teams more as well as keeping possession and playing it round the park well
If that’s the best the league had to offer we should be ok
Boreham Wood top
Come on we are Town!!

No it wasn't.
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 131
Chrisblor
October 31, 2021, 12:37am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,764
Gold Stars: 233
Very confused about the Coke praise. Thought he was awful on the ball today. Missed an incredible amount of opportunities to play progressive attacking passes to town players making dangerous runs and instead chose to put his foot on the ball and knock it back to the defence instead every time. Made it easy for Notts County to get back into their positions and meant we failed to stretch them as often as we could have. Yeah he's solid defensively but we're so much better with Fox & Hunt as the two deep midfielders instead because they're both far more inclined to play quick forward passes. Suppose the only way we could do that with McAtee out is by playing Bapaga in his role and playing Fox deeper instead.

gary jones
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 131
Running like emson
October 31, 2021, 12:58am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +278
Gold Stars: 8
Really good game of football today (national league!). Frustrating for town but we played well for a team in the 5th tier. Towler and Hunt are a class apart. Just missing a cutting edge…. But a full BP with the main stand in voice at times!!

County support(great to see the numbers)  was very tepid: sing when we are winning..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 131
Limerick Mariner
October 31, 2021, 1:19am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,664
Quoted from Running like emson
Really good game of football today (national league![/b]). Frustrating for town but we played well for a team in the 5th tier. [b]Towler and Hunt are a class apart. Just missing a cutting edge…. But a full BP with the main stand in voice at times!!

County support(great to see the numbers)  was very tepid: sing when we are winning..

Wouldn't say really good game, but the way we moved the ball about is streets ahead of the dross of last season, and that wasn't just from Town the whole league was poor. nice to 1000+ in the Osmond but actually 1087 is poor considering their home attendances - but they've never travelled well to Cleethorpes for some reason. Stockport had 1600 fans at Notts last week and they've been a heap of shite so far.

Both Towler and Hunt were excellent and I thought Coke had a good game. We are not going to win the title without exceptional luck with the fitness of Taylor and McAtee from this point on. We don't look like a team that will score many key goals feeding off the scraps of half chances. We've played all the big spenders now save Chesterfield and they look like strong favourite with the Tshimanga strike rate. Of course he might get injured...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 131
denni266
October 31, 2021, 3:03am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +700
Gold Stars: 132
Playing well wins nothing if you dont have anyone who can put the ball in the net . And untill we do we will just be an also ran . The bounce will soon ebb away and we will be stuck down here with 2000 watching
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 131
fishcake63
October 31, 2021, 6:43am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,235
Gold Stars: 62
for what it's worth & points wise its nothing but actually thought we played really well today as i'v commented on in another thread , blundell park this season to last is like chalk & cheese , ok we lost two games but controlled large parts of both matches , we had enough half chances today sousa taylor fox scrambles in there box where they got lucky but ph knows & we know we need a no9 with a bit of everything pace play with back to goal link up , good luck we are national league
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 131
GtfcGarner
October 31, 2021, 7:35am

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from TAGG

FFS why

Pull your tongue out his anus while your at it. He parried it straight to there striker you mongo.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 131
Mallyner
October 31, 2021, 8:13am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,507
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from GtfcGarner

Pull your tongue out his anus while your at it. He parried it straight to there striker you mongo.

I was wondering what mongo is an abbreviation of?  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 131
HertsGTFC
October 31, 2021, 8:47am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GtfcGarner

If you actually knew where that term derives from I think you'd be suitably embarrassed and delete your post. That reference sits with  any homophobic or racist comment you could make.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 131
MuddyWaters
October 31, 2021, 9:10am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GtfcGarner

I really can’t believe you’ve used that word. There’s a thread about offensive language currently doing the rounds and you then use a similarly derogatory comment to describe a fellow fan. I’m horrified.
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 131
October 31, 2021, 9:18am
Guest User
möngö
in British English
or mongoe (ˈmɒŋɡəʊ)
NOUN
Word forms: plural -gos or -goes
a Mongolian monetary unit worth one hundredth of a tugrik
Collins English Dictionary. Copyright © HarperCollins Publishers
Reply: 96 - 131
HertsGTFC
October 31, 2021, 9:23am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 123614
möngö
in British English
or mongoe (ˈmɒŋɡəʊ)
NOUN
Word forms: plural -gos or -goes
a Mongolian monetary unit worth one hundredth of a tugrik
Collins English Dictionary. Copyright © HarperCollins Publishers

Correct as per the dictionary but a million miles off the context that it was used in reference to when I grew up in the 70's.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 131
ska face
October 31, 2021, 9:37am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from TAGG

intercourse off

Are you his agent? If so fair play on getting him that 3-year deal and a pay rise since, considering he’s a bog standard Conference keeper. 10 years we’ve been subjected to his cheerleaders now, I’m glad we’re getting his testimonial year out the way, we might be able to replace him afterwards.
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 131
MuddyWaters
October 31, 2021, 10:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ska face

Are you his agent? If so fair play on getting him that 3-year deal and a pay rise since, considering he’s a bog standard Conference keeper. 10 years we’ve been subjected to his cheerleaders now, I’m glad we’re getting his testimonial year out the way, we might be able to replace him afterwards.

I'm not far away from you on this. My own thought is that he's always looked like one of our more capable players in the last five years because the rest of the squad have been poor. Now, because Hurst has put together a side with several more talented players, he looks pretty average as a first choice in his position. I too think we need better.
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 131
TAGG
October 31, 2021, 10:12am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GtfcGarner

balderdash

GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 131
TAGG
October 31, 2021, 10:15am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ska face

balderdash again

GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 131
ska face
October 31, 2021, 10:19am

Vodka Drinker
Other than straight into the net, could he have found anywhere worse than where he parried that ball yesterday?
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 131
BS baffles brains
October 31, 2021, 10:50am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 1
What was it Bill Shankly called Stepney at Man U, " Dracula"  he doesn't like crosses, I'm  afraid that's always applied to Macca , but hey, you can't have every thing,  he wouldn't be here otherwise.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 131
DB
October 31, 2021, 10:58am
Barley Wine Drinker
Same old excuses for their goal, blame Macca and forget about the other 10 in front of him? Macca saved the cross and parried it, so why didn't one of the other 10 pick up the unmarked man in the box.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 131
TAGG
October 31, 2021, 11:05am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ska face
Other than straight into the net, could he have found anywhere worse than where he parried that ball yesterday?

Let's just forget about the other 92 minutes of football where that pile of absolute junk up front did nothing or Sousa looked like he was frightened to death when he blasted wide when through on goal.
Yes maybe Macca could have done better but the defence should also have done better too.
We didn't lose the game because of one moment like people on here would like to think.

GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 131
ska face
October 31, 2021, 11:08am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from DB
Same old excuses for their goal, blame Macca and forget about the other 10 in front of him? Macca saved the cross and parried it, so why didn't one of the other 10 pick up the unmarked man in the box.

Are you real? He’s parried it straight to the danger area, it wasn’t even on target and he could’ve even let it go.

The man is always blameless with some on here, how many other players are afforded the defence of “there are 10 other players who should’ve done their job for them”?
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 131
psgmariner
October 31, 2021, 11:22am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from psgmariner

Seen a clip on twitter and it does look like LJL effort was a shot not a cross.

Like the man in the orthopaedic shoe, I stand corrected.

Private Message
Reply: 107 - 131
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 31, 2021, 11:51am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,650
Gold Stars: 72
Not sure what type of player Grant is but at present it appears that within our squad we have no immediate or suitable replacement for McAtee which given his ability is probably not surprising. Thus if he is going to be absent for a few matches we probably need to adopt a slightly different style of play rather than try and fit a square peg into a round hole as with Fox yesterday.

In reality up to the final third yesterday was a very good performance but in reality we never really looked like scoring and thus maybe a more authentic 4-3-3 with 2 strikers playing more centrally might be an alternative worth trying. LJL certainly didn’t start the game well yesterday with his first four or five touches all resulting in us losing possession but he does appear very isolated and even seeing him have a 30 minute spell alongside Taylor might be worth a try if we cannot get another striker in.

It’s pretty clear we have two players for all the back four and all are of the required standard albeit Revans may need a bit more support and experience but let’s face it that’s why Villa agreed to his loan in the first place. For me we need another midfield option, preference left footed allowing Harry either a rest or to put himself about in a more central position when needed.

That said up front is our immediate concern, especially if Taylor also hamstring problems, and unless Grant is ready a new arrival would be most welcome.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 131
realist
October 31, 2021, 12:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,689
Gold Stars: 41
The happy clappers have returned on force. Realistically, we can't afford to lose at home at all of we want automatic promotion. With flapper, the donkey and Hurst it is going to be a long slog to get out of this league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 131
pontoonlew
October 31, 2021, 12:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Just seen the goal, it’s a shocker from Macca
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 131
HertsGTFC
October 31, 2021, 12:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew
Just seen the goal, it’s a shocker from Macca

My first impression was that he could have done better.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 131
Hagrid
October 31, 2021, 12:35pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from realist
The happy clappers have returned on force. Realistically, we can't afford to lose at home at all of we want automatic promotion. With flapper, the donkey and Hurst it is going to be a long slog to get out of this league.

Ah yes Hurst who has already got us out the league and currently has us 2nd. Realist? You’re bloody clueless
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 131
TownSNAFU5
October 31, 2021, 12:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,860
Gold Stars: 42
County fans saying yesterday was the biggest home crowd that they have played in front of in NL.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 131
Davec
October 31, 2021, 2:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
I thought we played quite well and we certainly do play some excellent stuff at times and there was no exception to this yesterday.

Noots County were not as good as I was given to understand and I like to think that was because we did a job on them and made it difficult for them to really impose themselves but end of the day they won the 3 points and we got diddly squat.

The defence I thought played well but we did miss Sears when he was forced to come off and I remember thinking at the time I would have put Clifton in right back and and bring on Bapaga purely to add us something else going forwards, Revan looked totally lost i thought in right back.

Midfield battled well with Fox being the stand out for us there I thought, Coke also played well and I understand it is not really his game but I would prefer him to pass forwards at times rather than exclusively passing backwards even when we are in good positions, Hunt was very deep at times and I think it has been mentioned previously but I don't feel he is as effective when deep as he is when further forward.

Sousa again missed a good chance and again his final end proiduct does come into question espeically when he played it back to Clifton but it was behind him, it did seem at the time an easy ball, but he does work hard off the ball.

John Lewis i felt worked hard as expected and come closer than anybody else did to scoring with his effort which hit the bar but when Taylor come on it was clear Taylor is a far superior player to Lenny and do I feel we need another striker signing ASAP? yes I do especially with Mcatee injured.

i was in the pontoon so never had the best view of the late goal and have not seen it back yet but it did seem like poor goalkeeping at the time.

did we deserve a point? yes I think we did and I also think we will play worse than that and win this season.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 131
Ipswin
October 31, 2021, 2:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
County fans saying yesterday was the biggest home crowd that they have played in front of in NL.

Shame we were crap then

Private Message
Reply: 115 - 131
Rodley Mariner
October 31, 2021, 2:14pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

Shame we were crap then

Which stand were you sat in?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 131
Ipswin
October 31, 2021, 2:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

Thankfully I wasn't but I understand we lost without even having a shot on goal, perhaps you could confirm

Private Message
Reply: 117 - 131
arryarryarry
October 31, 2021, 2:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker

To be fair, yesterday reminded me of some of the games last season, some nice pretty passing but not troubling the opposition goalkeeper.
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 131
Rodley Mariner
Special Brew Drinker
We lacked in creativity but hit the bar and missed a few decent half chances before losing unluckily to a decent, organised team. Don't think anybody there would say we were crap but you sit 200 miles away sharing your expert opinion on something you haven't even seen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 131
HertsGTFC

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

Thankfully I wasn't but I understand we lost without even having a shot on goal, perhaps you could confirm

Confirms what we all knew.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 131
Rodley Mariner
October 31, 2021, 2:27pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

To be fair, yesterday reminded me of some of the games last season, some nice pretty passing but not troubling the opposition goalkeeper.

Did you think we were crap?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 131
ginnywings
October 31, 2021, 5:18pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Just thought back to their goal yesterday and I seem to recall Sousa losing possession in midfield as he tried to slalom across the pitch. Is that correct or am I having a false memory?

I have to admit to being somewhat under the weather yesterday and probably shouldn't have been at the game, so my attention span was not what it normally is.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 131
lukeo
October 31, 2021, 5:32pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,354
Gold Stars: 143
Once again I read a pointless negative post or 3 and once again its the same poster 😦

I enjoyed the game until around the 80th minute. Enjoyed my first game back at BP since covid and loved my food in the main stand. Result was the only negative point. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 131
HertsGTFC
October 31, 2021, 5:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Just thought back to their goal yesterday and I seem to recall Sousa losing possession in midfield as he tried to slalom across the pitch. Is that correct or am I having a false memory?

I have to admit to being somewhat under the weather yesterday and probably shouldn't have been at the game, so my attention span was not what it normally is.

Yeah I think you’re right and I think we allowed at least one of their players to make an untracked run on the back of it, though a number of things could have been done better in between the Sousa incident and Macca picking the ball out of the net. To be fair to them they got numbers forward and you can’t knock them for that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 131
arryarryarry
October 31, 2021, 6:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Did you think we were crap?

I didn't say we were crap?
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 131
Rodley Mariner
October 31, 2021, 6:38pm
Special Brew Drinker
No but Swin did which is what I was challenging.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 131
HertsGTFC
October 31, 2021, 7:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker

Clearly RH painted a poor picture of the performance with their commentary 😉

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 131
Ipswin
October 31, 2021, 7:49pm
Vodka Drinker

As far as I am concerned losing at home without even having a shot on target is crap yes. Others however might see it as satisfactory, matter of opinion really. One poster (clearly suffering the after effects of Covid) enjoyed it because the food was good FFS. Let's see how many are still happy if we fail to get promotion next May

Private Message
Reply: 128 - 131
ginnywings
October 31, 2021, 7:55pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Ipswin

As far as I am concerned losing at home without even having a shot on target is crap yes. Others however might see it as satisfactory, matter of opinion really.

Technically, we did have a couple of shots on target. They just never reached their target.

A fantastic block by their defender from LJL first half and a Sousa shot that was deflected over the bar for a corner was maybe on target before it hit the defenders boot.

We weren't crap. Two decent sides cancelling each other out with differing styles of play would be my take on it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 131
Ipswin
October 31, 2021, 7:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Technically, we did have a couple of shots on target. They just never reached their target.

Love you mate!

Private Message
Reply: 130 - 131
ginnywings
October 31, 2021, 8:06pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Glad you enjoyed it. Where were you sat because you clearly had a ‘restricted’ view?

Wouldn't go as far as saying I enjoyed it, but I have seen much worse over the years.

Restricted in what way? Did those things not happen, did I just imagine it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 131
14 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.