arryarryarry
April 10, 2021, 10:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from HertsGTFC

If people listened to his interview tonight he not for the first time talked about how the club has gone backwards since he was here last.

I know he was out of work when he came back and things haven’t gone well mainly down to the inability to attract talent, but unlike his predecessor he’s got the stones to take this on and try and keep us up and if need be bring us back. Despite your views he should be respected for that and given a chance.

People talk about where we were under Holloway let’s not forget with the takeover imminent for whatever reason he jumped ship and if Hurst hadn’t driven some form of change we’d have been gone by now.

Some of the “once great club” brigade need to understand that so many things where and still are sh1t about Grimsby Town, I’m sorry I know it’s hard to take but it’s true that’s why we attract the players we do and have done since we came back into the EFL. One person is mainly to blame and all being well he’ll be gone by the end of May.

Park the ear cupping over sensitivity if I said to you in January that Holloway’s replacement has on his CV 3 promotions (agreed in non league), 6 Wembley finals (agreed only winning 1) but saved one of his clubs from relegation & took them to the play offs the following year would that have been of interest?

Yes the manager in question may have struggled when he went up the leagues too quick to another club living on its rich history and like many before him fell victim to pistol Pete down the road but he’s had experience of getting a club out of the NL many of you who are now anti Hurst would have said that the owner of this CV at least deserves an interview.

Since Hurst left we’ve had,

- Bignott football man for sure but no management skills.

- Slade, other than being associated with JF I’ll never understand why.

- Jolley, exposed by his lack of experience and at times expertise especially when we started to struggle.

- Holloway, can sell sand to the Arabs but clearly his days of being able to organise a p1ss up in a brewery are long gone. He’s good to sort a game of darts out though.

Maybe it’s not just playing talent that we find difficult to attract. Our “once great club” hasn’t been great or arguably “good” for a long time but like it or not though it may not have worked how we all wanted it to since January we do have a manager who cares, knows what’s missing and in my belief will work hard to bring us back.

As long as the 1878 guys are true to their word which I’m sure they will be Hurst won’t be going anywhere for a long while yet.

I wasn't a fan of those managers and blame Fenty for the overall state of the club but I don't think any of those managers took us to the bottom of League 2.
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 137
Vance Warner
April 10, 2021, 10:04pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,821
Gold Stars: 105
Quoted from arryarryarry

I wasn't a fan of those managers and blame Fenty for the overall state of the club but I don't think any of those managers took us to the bottom of League 2.

No but Holloway knew he was going to and bottled it which is far worse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 137
RonMariner
April 10, 2021, 10:06pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,789
Gold Stars: 226
Whatever we think of his record this season it's clear Hurst is going to be our manager next season.

We have to hope he succeeds. But I think one season in the NL is enough to judge him on. If we are not challenging for promotion then we should take action accordingly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 137
DB
April 10, 2021, 10:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.46
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from RonMariner
The club needs a total rebuild from top to bottom.

The good news is that it will happen. We have forward looking new owners with plenty of cash. It's not like we are a phoenix club having to start from absolutely nothing.

I suspect Hurst will have a major clear out and then we will see a complete modernisation of the club training and fitness regimes, together with recruitment of decent pro's. Not the inadequate shower we have had to endure for years now.

We will be back in the EFL withing two years I recon. And with a team capable to challenging for promotion. There are so many absolutely crap sides in L2 that it wont be difficult to put together a competitive side in this league.

That's my opinion. And I haven't even had a drink yet.  

Looking at those under contract till 2022 & 2023 I can only see Macca, based on his rejuvenated form, being any good and LJL as a squad player. As for the rest dump them.

From today's out of contract players Hewitt, Clifton, Matete, Menayense look solid( if they want to stay) Habs, Lamy, and Coke as squad players. That means up to another 15 needed with 2/3 strikers a major priority. Firepower upfront has been sadly missing all season.

Early days but now the takeover is full steam ahead Hurst is making plans, and as someone posted a while ago why not put some youth in to see if they'll be any good. I know Hurst is not known for bringing on the youth, but they can't be any worse than Payne, Gibson, etc.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 137
Eastendmariner
April 10, 2021, 10:24pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +942
Gold Stars: 22
Hurst might not be everyone taste

I would rather have him in charge than some waffling friggin toe rag that keeps spouting what great  club we are the chairman is the dogs balks and we are the best fans in the world the toilets are premier league etc look where's its got us more pain

WE all think we have the answer, building this club back up needs a trustworthy honest man

Good luck Paul  UTM

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 137
EY Mariner
April 10, 2021, 10:26pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +865
Gold Stars: 5
Hurst returning inevitably carried risk with it, given that he was not liked by a significant section of the fanbase. That risk grows with the impending prospect of us returning to non-league football. I can understand the argument that worse results under Hurst justify a change of manager, but I do think that overlooks the extent of the mess created under his predecessor. And does anyone really think we'd be in a better position now if his predecessor hadn't looked for an escape route?

Given the timing of Hurst's return, I think we have to accept the assumption that he was brought back primarily as the new owners' man. On that basis, the only way I see him not being in charge for the start of next season is if he chooses not to be. But, even if the takeover does go through next month, I don't think we should be expecting a quick return.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 137
HertsGTFC
April 10, 2021, 10:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from DB

Looking at those under contract till 2022 & 2023 I can only see Macca, based on his rejuvenated form, being any good and LJL as a squad player. As for the rest dump them.

From today's out of contract players Hewitt, Clifton, Matete, Menayense look solid( if they want to stay) Habs, Lamy, and Coke as squad players. That means up to another 15 needed with 2/3 strikers a major priority. Firepower upfront has been sadly missing all season.

Early days but now the takeover is full steam ahead Hurst is making plans, and as someone posted a while ago why not put some youth in to see if they'll be any good. I know Hurst is not known for bringing on the youth, but they can't be any worse than Payne, Gibson, etc.

What Youth? Who would you think would benefit in their development by being in deck playing the piano when the ship sinks under the surface?

I’d be more inclined to give Spokes, Williams, Jackson and Gibson a run for the rest of the season as though I’m not convinced by any of them I think there deals run into next season, I may be wrong about their terms though.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 137
DB
April 10, 2021, 10:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

What Youth? Who would you think would benefit in their development by being in deck playing the piano when the ship sinks under the surface?

I’d be more inclined to give Spokes, Williams, Jackson and Gibson a run for the rest of the season as though I’m not convinced by any of them I think there deals run into next season, I may be wrong about their terms though.  

They've had chances and proved to be one trick ponies. Spokes scored a brilliant goal and then missed others. Williams and Jackson have been in and out, fringe at the best with no consistency. As for party boy, well there's no wonder Hurst shipped him out.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 137
HertsGTFC
April 10, 2021, 11:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from DB

They've had chances and proved to be one trick ponies. Spokes scored a brilliant goal and then missed others. Williams and Jackson have been in and out, fringe at the best with no consistency. As for party boy, well there's no wonder Hurst shipped him out.

Ok fair view, none have has a decent run in the side though.

You’ve not answered the question about the Youth. I know Holloway got a few involved but will they get us points in the last few games?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 137
DB
April 10, 2021, 11:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Ok fair view, none have has a decent run in the side though.

You’ve not answered the question about the Youth. I know Holloway got a few involved but will they get us points in the last few games?

TBH I'm hoping with my heart for survival as the maths say it could happen. My brain says not a cat in hell's chance, so throw some youth in for game time and see if they have any future, fresh shoots, a glimmer of hope of a future a new Drinkell, Wright, etc. If they don't hack it then sub them.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 137
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Hurst

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.