ginnywings
April 11, 2021, 2:33pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from arryarryarry

If their facilities are so wonderful, how come he turned them into a team at the bottom of the Championship?

Your endless negativity must be so draining.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 137
DB
April 11, 2021, 3:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from Yoda
Hurst cannot have six seasons to take us up again

You are repeating a post from your own thread " How many seasons!" which out of the first 5 replies 2 are yours. I can accept the fact you don't like Hurst but why o why keep repeating yourself. It's as if you're on an ego trip.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 137
RonMariner
April 11, 2021, 3:15pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,789
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from DB

You are repeating a post from your own thread " How many seasons!" which out of the first 5 replies 2 are yours. I can accept the fact you don't like Hurst but why o why keep repeating yourself. It's as if you're on an ego trip.

Indeed.

And I have already corrected him twice regarding the fact that Hurst did not take 6 seasons to get us promoted!

He was in charge (or joint manager) for four full seasons, each of which we ended up in the play offs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 137
DB
April 11, 2021, 3:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
I've done my fair share of Hurst bashing, particularly in his first few weeks. It was stated and agreed by many that he was on a hiding to nothing, if we stay up he's a hero. If we get related then it's Fenty and Holloway's fault. So we are where we are and in the reasoning of those many comments, it's Fenty and Holloway's fault.

A post mortem will show that, even as I write, the club is still owned by Fenty so he still holds the purse strings until the outcome of 5th May EGM. Day told us when Hurst came money wasn't a problem, but nobody worth their salt wanted to come to the club going in a oneway direction and owned by Fenty and owned by someone who is reputed to have a bad name in the world of football players. There is a big difference in asking somebody to come and we'll give you up to x amount, and how much would you like to be paid to come to us! Vernham didn't want to come back did he, even for Hurst! The training facilities are crap so why would anybody want to come to get a relegation on their CV. Whatever Hurst said to Matete, Menayese, Coke, and Habs. to get them has certainly helped the cause.

On the subject of strikers how many times did I read that a fit Hanson would score loads of goals, it will be only a matter of time. I'm still waiting, 2 tap-ins in how many games. Then 'The Shop', a player from 2 leagues below us, was going to do the business! Yes he can hold the ball up and put himself about, but what about goals; 2 and how many misses? When Hanson became fit and LJL came it was goals we needed from a none existent strike force, remember Pollock was, and I think still is, our top scores with 4 goals. He hasn't played in weeks and he's the top scorer.

Defensively we were a mess when Hurst arrived, Macca from his time with Holloway seemed to have his confidence shot. It is good to see him now at his old best. More holes in defence than a sieve! We are now becoming a hard team to beat, but it's too late.

As I said I wasn't a Hurst fan in his first few weeks but when you look at what he was up against, Board, the attitude of players (listen to Macca on RH), and the reluctance of his first choice transfers not wanting to come then, as put it, the club was a mess.

The future owners must have faith in him because at every interview JF has not been mentioned by Hurst, only the future owners. While we have seen nothing in writing, the future owners must have given Hurst a hell of a lot of reassurances to get him to come, and for Hurst to accept he has to deal with Fenty until the takeover goes through.

The future of the club can only get better. As for referring to Hursts' last tenure, when we were in the NL, we don't know what constraints Fenty put him under. Only bits and pieces are coming out from former players so let's hope for a proper Boardroom to back him to the hilt.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 137
forza ivano
April 11, 2021, 5:19pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,267
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from arryarryarry

I have no doubt Holloway would have taken us down but the simple fact is that currently Hurst is still behind Holloway's points per game total.

As regards the Ipswich comment I was just pointing out that having wonderful facilities don't make a great team as some on here seem to suggest that as soon as we have a great training ground we are going to sign some great players and shoot up the Leagues.

i don't disagree re the facilities, however i know from athletics that if you have the best equipment, the best track conditions, indoor training facilities, proper weight training equipment and facilities, good medical and psychological back up etc etc you are far ,far more likely to succeed than some Alf Tupper set up with beaten up plimsolls and a cinder track with fish n chips for tea!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 137
KingstonMariner
April 11, 2021, 10:53pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Alf Tupper the Tough of the Track 😂

That’s what our football club has become. Without Alf’s success though.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 137
arryarryarry
April 11, 2021, 11:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from ginnywings

Your endless negativity must be so draining.

Not really after 20 years of mostly crap got used to it by now.

Just cannot understand the positivity about Hurst and certain players when we are deep in excrement.

Private Message
Reply: 128 - 137
Abdul19
April 12, 2021, 12:10am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,576
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from RonMariner

Indeed.

And I have already corrected him twice regarding the fact that Hurst did not take 6 seasons to get us promoted!

He was in charge (or joint manager) for four full seasons, each of which we ended up in the play offs.

5 full seasons, we finished 11th in 11/12.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 137
14 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Hurst

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.