forza ivano
April 11, 2021, 12:10am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,266
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Hurst has left when Andrew, Pearson and Bogle moved on.

BTW he signed all 4.

doh!! you and your bloody facts! ruined a perfectly good argument to beat Hurst with
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 137
Quagmire
April 11, 2021, 12:18am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +932
Gold Stars: 43
At the end of the day there’s a couple of things that can’t be argued about.

For whatever reason 1878 Partners believe Hurst is the man to take the club forward next season so irrespective of where we finish he will be manager next season.

Unless his remit was to come in and take the club down he has been a dismal failure - worse PPG, worse league position, ultimately relegated to non league.

He’s now trotting out excuses in his interviews - we all know we’ve behind the curve for years but the lack of back room staff / training facilities etc didn’t stop Jolley keeping us up or stop Holloway keeping us well away from relegation last season.

At the end of the day it’s because we don’t have good enough players, the bulk of which that have been playing recently are HIS signings.

His record since he came back is abysmal.  

If this was any other manager he’d have been run out of town by now.

Can’t wait for several seasons in non league with Hurst setting us up not to lose and counteract the mighty attacking prowess of Borehamwood and Bromley, and that a point away at Wealdstone is a great result.

I can’t understand why people think he’s the man to take the club forward 🤷‍♂️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 137
nightrider
April 11, 2021, 12:27am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Those same people have lauded Fenty for 20yrs

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 137
ginnywings
April 11, 2021, 12:29am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Quagmire
At the end of the day there’s a couple of things that can’t be argued about.

For whatever reason 1878 Partners believe Hurst is the man to take the club forward next season so irrespective of where we finish he will be manager next season.

Unless his remit was to come in and take the club down he has been a dismal failure - worse PPG, worse league position, ultimately relegated to non league.

He’s now trotting out excuses in his interviews - we all know we’ve behind the curve for years but the lack of back room staff / training facilities etc didn’t stop Jolley keeping us up or stop Holloway keeping us well away from relegation last season.

At the end of the day it’s because we don’t have good enough players, the bulk of which that have been playing recently are HIS signings.

His record since he came back is abysmal.  

If this was any other manager he’d have been run out of town by now.

Can’t wait for several seasons in non league with Hurst setting us up not to lose and counteract the mighty attacking prowess of Borehamwood and Bromley, and that a point away at Wealdstone is a great result.

I can’t understand why people think he’s the man to take the club forward 🤷‍♂️

Maybe because he is the only man since Buckley 2 to take us in a forward direction. He also has 3 promotions in leagues below the EFL, which is where we will most likely be next season.

I honestly can't think of anyone who has better credentials in non league. I also think it's a bit of a myth that we set up not to lose and he signed some pretty good strikers in his last stint.

I'm not his biggest fan but I think he deserves a shot at it, especially if he's going to be backed properly this time. He did pretty good despite working under financial constraints last time, with poor facilities and hardly any backroom staff to speak of.

I fully understand peoples reservations about him, I have plenty myself, but as I say, I think he should get first dibs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 137
Davec
April 11, 2021, 6:36am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from Norseman

He allowed amond, Danny Andrew, shaun Pearson and bogle to leave so how would he have stopped vernam

He did not allow Andrew Pearson and Bogle to leave at all, they all left after Hurst had departed...

Also I thought it was common knowledge that the board copulated up with Amond
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 137
aldi_01
April 11, 2021, 7:17am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
We’ve been over the Amond fiasco multiple times, it wasn’t Hursts fault.

The argument that Jolley kept us up is thin, some soft penalties and arguably, although didn’t feel it at the time, a better squad helped.

When Hurst joined this time he inherited a team that was Sunday league. The club was/is clearly in a woeful mess. We know that we planned for the season to either not start or certainly not finish and once again, much like with Amond, we allowed arguably our best player to leave to simply save a few pounds.

Some of us had come to terms with being relegated well before Christmas. The writing was on the wall. Going down will be tough (at least we won’t embarrass ourselves at Burton this time) but with new ownership and redevelopment and some forward planning elsewhere at the club it could be a blessing in disguise to some extent.

Some folk are just too precious becauee he cupped his ear and was misquoted...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 137
TAGG
April 11, 2021, 9:12am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,939
Gold Stars: 126
I didn't want the bloke back and don't want him as manager when we go down BUT
As I have and will to the end of the season support PH he will also get my support next season if he's still here.

I would like someone else in next season but if the new owners see fit to employ him then so be it.
UTM

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 137
mariner91
April 11, 2021, 9:27am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,718
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from TAGG
I didn't want the bloke back and don't want him as manager when we go down BUT
As I have and will to the end of the season support PH he will also get my support next season if he's still here.

I would like someone else in next season but if the new owners see fit to employ him then so be it.
UTM

I think this is the most important thing. For many reasons he is a divisive character amongst the fanbase, just as Buckley was before him (I'm not comparing the two, obviously Buckley in his prime was better). If we thought a manager was coming in had previously made the play offs in NL four season in a row, had successfully got promoted from the NL and had a stint at a L1 club where he saved them from relegation and then next season took them to two Wembley finals we'd be fairly excited. His time at Ipswich was very poor but they're nearly as big of a basket case as we are and it was a jump too soon for him. Scunny were also in free fall with lots of poor players on big contracts but he'd started to turn it around a bit there before falling out with the notoriously difficult Swann.

He isn't perfect, far from it. But he's also got a track record which suggests that with better support, a better budget and better facilities he will get us challenging at least around the play offs in the NL. We have waited many years to finally be shot of Fenty and it should be a seminal moment in the club's history. It would be typically Town if, after finally freeing ourselves of the shackles of the Fenty regime, fans don't support the new regime and hinder any progress from the off because they don't like their first manager choice. Get behind him if he's here at the start of next season and if it all goes wrong then feel free to say "I told you so".
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 137
mariner91
April 11, 2021, 10:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,718
Gold Stars: 262
Hurst had an extremely difficult job when he came in. Let's not forget that although technically Holloway had picked up more points than Hurst there were many, many games where all we did with the ball was knock it aimlessly around our defensive third before inevitably conceding. Our goals against column was pathetic, we were physically inferior to most of the teams we played and we had very little, if any, goal threat.

Of the five wins we had under Holloway the goal threat and attacking force came almost exclusively from players who haven't been available to Hurst. At Crawley one of the goals was scored by Max Wright and Scannell was our best player that day. Wright has been out injured virtually the whole time and who knows what is going on with Scannell but something isn't right. The win against Barrow we had Wright and Windsor going forward with Wright getting the assist. Orient we looked threatening with Windsor, Edwards and Williams. With Cheltenham it was also Edwards and Windsor's running which made us threatening. The only other win was Scunny where the goal was from Pollock who was our top scorer but he's been injured a lot of Hurst's tenure and there were also massive question marks over him and Waterfall defensively. Our leading assister is STILL Edwards and he hasn't been here for three months. The point is that of all the points Holloway managed to accrue, most of those were off the backs of players who had either left or been injured during Hurst's tenure giving him very, very little to work with going forward. Trying to completely overhaul your attack in the January transfer window with all the limiting factors which have already been discussed in this thread was near enough an impossible job. No manager could have got three or four fully fit, in form and quality attacking players.

What has improved is the defence and we are now difficult to beat and are at least competitive. Most games under Holloway we didn't compete and that includes against the team who were rock bottom of the NL when we played them. We've also not had a lot of luck either. We were somewhat robbed by an incompetent referee against Salford, inexplicably had a goal direct from a corner disallowed against Carlisle and only lost to FGR due to a very questionable penalty decision. That could/should have been an extra five points which would have given us a very real chance of staying up. It is unfair and disingenuous to say that Hurst has been worse than Holloway and completely overlooks the fact that we had a shite defence (which was sorted), were unfit (which meant we weren't competing, we now are) and had a excrement attack (of which most of the reasonably competent ones had left/are now injured).

Given proper backing and a full pre-season Hurst will make us half decent in whichever league we're in.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 137
HertsGTFC
April 11, 2021, 10:14am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Well after May the Fishy will (hopefully) lose one of its obsessions when Fenty ships out so I fully expect pages and pages of threads about Hurst every time we don’t win by a margin of 3 goals or more. #tiredarguments

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 137
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Hurst

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.