14 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Stadium
November 30, 2021, 8:26pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19

I don't think it is useful to keep saying the UK has done badly. Have you seen what is happening on the continent? At various points during the pandemic different countries have been lauded for their reaction to it and the measures taken, only to come unstuck further down the line. Of course, every single thing in every single situation could have been handled better by every single country, but it is just not realistic is it?

A senior minister has apologised for mistakes made in the handling of the coronavirus pandemic in the UK, after the death of at least 160,000 people and a landmark report that found the government’s management of the outbreak was one of the worst public health failures in British history.

Oliver Dowden, the chair of the Conservative party, said he was “very sorry” and admitted “we didn’t get everything right”, after a major investigation by two cross-party parliamentary select committees chaired by Tory MPs found a “fatalistic” approach taken in the early days of the outbreak led to many unnecessary deaths. It said an approach of British “exceptionalism” meant the UK fared “significantly worse” than others.

After the Cabinet Office minister Stephen Barclay refused to apologise on Tuesday, Dowden struck a more humble note. He told Sky News: “Of course I’m sorry, as the prime minister is sorry. I was just listening to the sort of experiences yesterday of those bereaved families and that kind of terrible loss that they have suffered. We are sorry for the losses that all those families have suffered.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dkobak/excess-mortality/main/img/countries.png

Disclaimer: In hindsight blah blah blah, Worse under Labour etc. etc............

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 134
lew chaterleys lover
November 30, 2021, 9:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Stadium

A senior minister has apologised for mistakes made in the handling of the coronavirus pandemic in the UK, after the death of at least 160,000 people and a landmark report that found the government’s management of the outbreak was one of the worst public health failures in British history.

Oliver Dowden, the chair of the Conservative party, said he was “very sorry” and admitted “we didn’t get everything right”, after a major investigation by two cross-party parliamentary select committees chaired by Tory MPs found a “fatalistic” approach taken in the early days of the outbreak led to many unnecessary deaths. It said an approach of British “exceptionalism” meant the UK fared “significantly worse” than others.

After the Cabinet Office minister Stephen Barclay refused to apologise on Tuesday, Dowden struck a more humble note. He told Sky News: “Of course I’m sorry, as the prime minister is sorry. I was just listening to the sort of experiences yesterday of those bereaved families and that kind of terrible loss that they have suffered. We are sorry for the losses that all those families have suffered.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dkobak/excess-mortality/main/img/countries.png

Disclaimer: In hindsight blah blah blah, Worse under Labour etc. etc............

Every country's politicians will have apologise. Nobody has got it all right have they? The vast majority of deaths all around the world have been people of great age who were coming to the end of their natural lives. I think the average age of covid deaths mirrored natural death age of around 82 years if I remember correctly.
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 134
KingstonMariner
December 1, 2021, 2:02pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 134
Stadium
December 3, 2021, 10:25am
Champagne Drinker

Every country's politicians will have apologise. Nobody has got it all right have they? The vast majority of deaths all around the world have been people of great age who were coming to the end of their natural lives. I think the average age of covid deaths mirrored natural death age of around 82 years if I remember correctly.

Err you said "I don't think it is useful to keep saying the UK has done badly."
Just post up the evidence to oppose the view they didn't please.
Don't really know why you've brought age into it??
I'd be embarrassed even to mention that with the governments performance around care homes which was a scandal.

A reminder.
https://www.carehome.co.uk/new.....re-homes-covid-tests

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 134
aldi_01
December 3, 2021, 12:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Whatever anyones view on Covid and the nonsense that’s surrounded it, the embarrassing government of the country can not be excused.

The cronyism, siphoning of public money and the hypocrisy is a joke, still, idiots will still vote for them…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 134
Maringer
December 3, 2021, 1:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,509
Gold Stars: 185
There isn't nonsense surrounding the novel coronavirus pandemic in which we find ourselves trapped and which has killed millions around the world already.

But you're certainly right about the embarrassing government! It's not the corruption that shocks me as much as the fact that they don't seem to care and nobody is calling them out on it! Just what is the point of the BBC if it isn't willing to point out that the Prime Minister lies about everything, all the time and that the corruption and ineptitude of the government knows no bounds?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 134
aldi_01
December 3, 2021, 1:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Maringer
There isn't nonsense surrounding the novel coronavirus pandemic in which we find ourselves trapped and which has killed millions around the world already.

But you're certainly right about the embarrassing government! It's not the corruption that shocks me as much as the fact that they don't seem to care and nobody is calling them out on it! Just what is the point of the BBC if it isn't willing to point out that the Prime Minister lies about everything, all the time and that the corruption and ineptitude of the government knows no bounds?

There’s an argument to say that the voting public are to blame, more the media they clearly know is skewed but still listen to. It’s no secret the Johnson is a scumbag, he was sending death threats to journos in the mid 90s, his lies have carried on. Billions wasted when Mayor of London and now this excrement show.

Still, whilst people are cryarsing over a fake migrant crisis and stopping RNLI boats launching to save people drowning they’ll seemingly be happy. Dear old Blighty eh…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 134
Stadium
December 6, 2021, 9:05pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

Errr...

Don't leave the house if you have a cold, Professor Tim Spector has said, as he warned one in three colds are “actually due to Covid”.

The professor of genetic epidemiology at King's College London, who founded the Zoe app, said people with cold-like symptoms should work from home and avoid Christmas parties in a bid to stem the spread of coronavirus.

The public should be "much more open-minded about who we are testing" and "get more people to isolate at least for a few days with cold-like symptoms", he told Times Radio.

"At the moment, we're estimating that somewhere between one in three and one in four colds are actually due to Covid," he said.

"And so that's quite a high rate of people that are currently not even bothered to get a lateral flow test, or getting a PCR test, going to parties and spreading it around.

"So, if that transfers to omicron then we're going to be compounding that problem much faster than we would need to."

He added: "We want to tell people that if you don't feel well that day, don't go out, don't go to work, work from home, because the start of that sniffle, the start of that sore throat, that headache could be a mild dose of Covid that is just breaking through your vaccine.

"I think everyone needs to be much more aware of a whole range of symptoms and not wait for the loss of smell or taste which may never come, not wait for fever, not wait for that persistent cough."

The first few days of infections are when you are most contagious, Prof Spector said.

"Whether it's a respiratory virus, you're just giving someone a cold, or you might be giving them omicron or delta, then it's those first few days," he said.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 134
codcheeky
December 6, 2021, 9:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 134
Maringer
December 6, 2021, 9:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,509
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from Stadium

Errr...

[i]Don't leave the house if you have a cold, Professor Tim Spector has said, as he warned one in three colds are “actually due to Covid”.

Do you think this is really a bad idea with Delta rife and cases expanding, the NHS at breaking point already and the new Omicron variant (about which we know pretty much diddly squat) likely to accelerate to dominance in mere weeks? A bit of caution until we know a bit more about the effects of Omicron might be pretty sensible, actually. It's so new that we don't even have the data as to how dangerous it is likely to be to both the vaccinated and unvaccinated. We'll have a better idea in a week or two. Caution until then at least is very sensible.

Or, we could just carry on as usual, see a similar 3-4 day doubling time as South Africa and then discover we're facing a much more serious problem than we thought when there are tens of thousands of Omicron infections a day - alongside thousands of Delta infections.

You can't be cautious or sensible retrospectively. You'd have thought we'd have learned more from all of the many recent fuckups since the pandemic began.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 134
14 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Covid Passports/Certification

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.