14 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 All Recommend Thread
Stadium
April 6, 2021, 2:26pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,913
Gold Stars: 19
Interesting to hear people's views on this as it may well affect sport in a potentially huge way.

The general public seems to be in favour.

https://news.sky.com/story/cov.....says-survey-12261755

Good piece with the governments current status.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/ar.....tter_impression=true

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
aldi_01
April 6, 2021, 3:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Seems a waste of time in truth. Not really sure what the point is.

It can’t be about flow of virus or whatever else they’d have introduced one years ago for the various other vaccines we have.

I’m sure plenty will argue in favour but just seems to be an implementation of something we don’t need. Impossible to police and smacks of simply tracking folk. Some might call me a tin hat wearer but you asked for views.

Personally I couldn’t give a rats bottom whether people at a gig, in a pub or at the football stood near me have had the vaccine or not, nor is it really any of my business...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 134
Manchester Mariner
April 6, 2021, 4:00pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,804
Gold Stars: 41
Not sure what I think to be honest. If you have a smart phone then you're pretty much being tracked anyway let alone all the apps making all the nooks and crannies of your life available to corporations and hackers. If it means I can enjoy gigs, going the football and other crowd based events then so be it but I can appreciate the 'big brother' arguments against, just think the vast majority are already too far gone with the amount of personal data we store on our phones/laptops/tablets anyway.

So my views are undecided/not sure if I'm bothered.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 134
Humbercod
April 6, 2021, 6:32pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,492
Gold Stars: 82
Don’t give in to coercion these vaccine passports won’t protect anybody.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 134
codcheeky
April 6, 2021, 9:26pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Stadium
Interesting to hear people's views on this as it may well affect sport in a potentially huge way.

The general public seems to be in favour.

https://news.sky.com/story/cov.....says-survey-12261755

Good piece with the governments current status.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/ar.....tter_impression=true

Public support can be manipulated by the phrasing of the question in any survey. I doubt very much if the take up of these passports for anything other than foreign travel would gain much traction.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 134
KingstonMariner
April 6, 2021, 10:35pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
Not sure what I think to be honest. If you have a smart phone then you're pretty much being tracked anyway let alone all the apps making all the nooks and crannies of your life available to corporations and hackers. If it means I can enjoy gigs, going the football and other crowd based events then so be it but I can appreciate the 'big brother' arguments against, just think the vast majority are already too far gone with the amount of personal data we store on our phones/laptops/tablets anyway.

So my views are undecided/not sure if I'm bothered.

I’m very much aligned with your view MM.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 134
Humbercod
April 11, 2021, 9:25am
Cocktail Drinker
Brand nails it -

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 134
Stadium
April 17, 2021, 9:51pm
Champagne Drinker
Absolutely no need for this at all.

Tweet 1383114686904819717 will appear here...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 134
FishOutOfWater
April 18, 2021, 12:36am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Stadium
Absolutely no need for this at all.

Tweet 1383114686904819717 will appear here...

Is the monitoring being carried out by the Met?

I recall from our last couple of visits to Wembley they were there in numbers on more or less every corner of the local area filming fans
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 134
aldi_01
April 18, 2021, 6:29am

Barley Wine Drinker
No need for the tracking, much like there’s no need or benefit to enforcing a futile Covid passport on folk but people will just happily go along...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 134
DB
April 18, 2021, 3:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.55
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,880
Gold Stars: 383
Sheep or Lemmings

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 134
Stadium
May 19, 2021, 9:20pm
Champagne Drinker
More lies confirmed.

Tweet 1395047883058122753 will appear here...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 134
Humbercod
May 20, 2021, 8:28pm
Cocktail Drinker
Anyone looked into the special category contained on the app?
Direct link to ALL your medical records, ethnic origins, criminal convictions or alleged criminal behaviour!
Information related to your physical or mental health condition, info relating to your family and your lifestyle and social circumstances!  
Get used to civilian checkpoints people.

Government ministers only last November were in absolute denial regarding plans for the vaccine passports at the same time signing multi-million pound deals with tech companies to develop them.
Anyone that still thinks this is about a virus is living In cloud cuckoo land.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 134
Stadium
July 13, 2021, 5:10pm
Champagne Drinker
Yet more lies.

Tweet 1414916955170037761 will appear here...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 134
Stadium
July 19, 2021, 8:22pm
Champagne Drinker
What a surprise.
And wouldn't commit in regard sporting events.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57893788

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 134
aldi_01
July 19, 2021, 8:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Forcing vaccines on people…and people think it’s a free country…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 134
LH
July 19, 2021, 9:19pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
Do they actually want them or is it a cynical ploy/strongarm tactic to get the u30s to get their jabs? Interested to see all of the other party’s responses to this as it’s a tricky one for them. Back it and be as bad as the Tories or oppose it and leave themselves open for not ‘following the scientists’.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 134
Chrisblor
July 19, 2021, 9:46pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,678
Gold Stars: 229
Not arsed, takes me 10 seconds to bring up the QR code showing i've had both jabs on the NHS app. If it lets me go to gigs and clubs again then fine, no different to showing some ID on your way in.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 134
Stadium
July 19, 2021, 9:54pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Chrisblor
Not arsed, takes me 10 seconds to bring up the QR code showing i've had both jabs on the NHS app. If it lets me go to gigs and clubs again then fine, no different to showing some ID on your way in.

Dear me.
Ever thought about person's unable to have a vaccination?
Bizarre comparison in regards to showing ID.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 134
Chrisblor
July 19, 2021, 10:13pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Stadium

Dear me.
Ever thought about person's unable to have a vaccination?
Bizarre comparison in regards to showing ID.

Well it's unfortunate for the small proportion of society who can't get vaccinated, but really should they be going to busy enclosed venues during a pandemic if that is the case? Once infection numbers go back down i'm sure they'll all be allowed back into the clubs once it's safer for them.

And showing an app to access a venue is not a bizarre comparison. It is practically no different to showing ID or a ticket to access somewhere.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 134
aldi_01
July 19, 2021, 10:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Chrisblor

Well it's unfortunate for the small proportion of society who can't get vaccinated, but really should they be going to busy enclosed venues during a pandemic if that is the case? Once infection numbers go back down i'm sure they'll all be allowed back into the clubs once it's safer for them.

And showing an app to access a venue is not a bizarre comparison. It is practically no different to showing ID or a ticket to access somewhere.

Buy your ticket doesn’t include personal medical information?

What about the people who are perfectly healthy but can’t have the vaccine? I work with two colleagues who are in this position.

The cynic on me thinks this is a ploy to simply encourage people to take the trial because it is completely unnecessary to enforce such a bizarre thing…that said, I’d imagine a fake will be easy to pick up…

Hardly think checking for this nonsense will be on the priority list at big gigs…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 134
Chrisblor
July 19, 2021, 11:09pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

Buy your ticket doesn’t include personal medical information?

What about the people who are perfectly healthy but can’t have the vaccine? I work with two colleagues who are in this position.

The cynic on me thinks this is a ploy to simply encourage people to take the trial because it is completely unnecessary to enforce such a bizarre thing…that said, I’d imagine a fake will be easy to pick up…

Hardly think checking for this nonsense will be on the priority list at big gigs…

I'm not handing over my medical records to a nightclub to get in am I - it's all contained in an app managed by the NHS on my phone. There's loads of other sensitive personal and financial information on my phone as well (which is already bloody tracking everything I do anyway so I think we're far beyond the point of no return on the privacy and personal liberties front), really not that fussed that aspects of my medical records can be accessed via it now too.

Also, good news for your colleagues - "People who have “genuine medical reasons of why they can’t get vaccinated” will not be subject to the scheme."

Would like to hear some thoughts from everyone moaning about this as to how we're meant to go about safely reopening poorly ventilated indoor venues while a contagious airborne virus is knocking about btw. If this encourages a significant increase in vaccine take-up amongst under 30s then good, we'll get the pandemic over much faster than if we continue letting swathes of unvaccinated people into busy enclosed nightlife venues (as is happening right now).

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 134
aldi_01
July 20, 2021, 6:40am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Chrisblor

I'm not handing over my medical records to a nightclub to get in am I - it's all contained in an app managed by the NHS on my phone. There's loads of other sensitive personal and financial information on my phone as well (which is already bloody tracking everything I do anyway so I think we're far beyond the point of no return on the privacy and personal liberties front), really not that fussed that aspects of my medical records can be accessed via it now too.

Also, good news for your colleagues - "People who have “genuine medical reasons of why they can’t get vaccinated” will not be subject to the scheme."

Would like to hear some thoughts from everyone moaning about this as to how we're meant to go about safely reopening poorly ventilated indoor venues while a contagious airborne virus is knocking about btw. If this encourages a significant increase in vaccine take-up amongst under 30s then good, we'll get the pandemic over much faster than if we continue letting swathes of unvaccinated people into busy enclosed nightlife venues (as is happening right now).

The app isn’t operated by the nhs, hence why several people have become insanely rich from it…

The evidence to say places like nightclubs and gigs are an issue is somewhat limited…ever wonder why there was little reporting of the findings from that ‘government experiment gig’? Less than 50 cases out of 6000…hardly cause for alarm.

The vaccine trial is seemingly futile given swathes of people vaccinated are allegedly testing positive…if people think mass vaccination is the way this pandemic ends then fair enough but we all know it ends when governments decide it ends.

This is another pointless rule implemented that serves zero purpose for public safety…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 134
Stadium
July 20, 2021, 8:36am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Chrisblor

Thanks for confirming that the scheme is just to force people to have vaccination or do you have some evidence it will have some other effect?

Timeline: January 12, Nadhim Zahawi: “We have no plans to introduce vaccine passports … No one has been given or will be required to have a vaccine passport” … July 5, HMG COVID-status certification review: “The government will not mandate the use of COVID-status certification as a condition of entry for visitors to any setting at the present time … the impacts are judged to be disproportionate to the public health benefit at this stage of the pandemic” … July 19, Boris Johnson: “I should serve notice now that by the end of September, when all over-18s will have had their chance to be double jabbed, we are planning to make full vaccination the condition of entry to nightclubs and other venues where large crowds gather.”

The government’s decision to open nightclubs on Monday while simultaneously encouraging people to behave cautiously and wear masks in crowded indoor spaces has always been a contradiction, to put it politely. Images of clubbers dancing in the early hours led to general bewilderment among Tory MPs — and probably much of the country — and at yesterday’s presser Chief Scientific Adviser Patrick Vallance warned they were “potential super-spreader events,” making as clear as he is ever publicly going to that he disagrees with the decision taken by ministers to reopen them. As it became obvious last night that few if any clubs had accepted the non-legally binding government advice to use the NHS COVID Pass app, Johnson ruled that vaccine passports should be compulsory from September.

Which begs the question: If the government is so worried about nightclubs that it is ready to U-turn on vaccine passports, why is it waiting until September, leaving them open without restrictions for two months as cases approach their peak?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 134
Manchester Mariner
July 20, 2021, 9:52am

Exile
Quoted from LH
Do they actually want them or is it a cynical ploy/strongarm tactic to get the u30s to get their jabs?

I reckon it's a bribe attempt to get the youth of the country vaccinated, get jabbed otherwise your names not on the list and you're not coming in. Bribe-a-licious.

One of Boris Johnsons many deficiencies is that he just wants to be loved by everyone including his back bench bangers, the likes of Graham Brady, the boomertastic 1922 committee, the various research groups who mistake research for having a moan and of course The Telegraph, Mail, Sun and other rags. Covid passports won't wash with any of those fellas so I reckon it's an empty threat, the majority of nightclub owners won't even action it anyway.

Private Message
Reply: 24 - 134
Chrisblor
July 20, 2021, 11:17am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

The app isn’t operated by the nhs, hence why several people have become insanely rich from it…

You're conflating the NHS Covid-19 Track & Trace app with the separate NHS App. The NHS App is owned and run by the NHS and connects to your GP's surgery to access your medical records, and the Department for Health & Social Care to get your Covid vaccination status. This is all detailed in the privacy policy - https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-app/

Quoted from aldi_01
The evidence to say places like nightclubs and gigs are an issue is somewhat limited…ever wonder why there was little reporting of the findings from that ‘government experiment gig’? Less than 50 cases out of 6000…hardly cause for alarm.

Hmm - https://pitchfork.com/news/dutch-music-festival-linked-to-1000-new-covid-cases/

Quoted from aldi_01
The vaccine trial is seemingly futile given swathes of people vaccinated are allegedly testing positive…if people think mass vaccination is the way this pandemic ends then fair enough but we all know it ends when governments decide it ends.

You don't understand how vaccines work. Even a double jab of Pfizer isn't going to prevent EVERYONE from getting covid, there will still be some people who contract it. There will still be a fuckload more of double jabbed people who WON'T have contracted covid as a result of being vaccinated, and of those who do test positive after both jabs they'll primarily have asymptomatic or significantly less severe illness thanks to the vaccine.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 134
Neilo83
July 20, 2021, 11:28am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +17 / -6
Approval: +261
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Chrisblor

You don't understand how vaccines work. Even a double jab of Pfizer isn't going to prevent EVERYONE from getting covid, there will still be some people who contract it. There will still be a fuckload more of double jabbed people who WON'T have contracted covid as a result of being vaccinated, and of those who do test positive after both jabs they'll primarily have asymptomatic or significantly less severe illness thanks to the vaccine.

Totally agree with this, I’ve recently had covid (it’s swept through our work place) and the only 2 people that didn’t get it (that should have) was both double jabbed, one being my mrs, we don’t live together but obviously spend a lot of time together.
These kinda stats will go unnoticed though to the “experts” that know it all about covid.
Obviously double vaccinated will still get and die from covid, it won’t save everyone, but in my opinion it will save a lot more than it will kill and it will definitely help with transmission.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 134
aldi_01
July 20, 2021, 11:58am

Barley Wine Drinker
I’m well aware of how vaccines work, I’m also well aware that a mass vaccine trial and forcing folk to have it wasn’t going to change anything. Ironic though, we had an outbreak and the people who didn’t catch it didn’t have a jab…

The whole thing is unnecessary, nobody is acruslly putting forward a case for the need of such a pointless thing. It isn’t about safety of others, surely if people are scared to the point some are then they’d swerve a nightclub anyway. The fact it’s so dangerous they’re waiting a few weeks probably tells you all you need to know.

Scrap the flipping lot and just crack on with life. We all know if that happens within a few months it’s be forgotten about…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 134
Manchester Mariner
July 20, 2021, 1:58pm

Exile
Im no expert, nor into sharing links to various sources but just from my observations of reading the numbers being presented surely the vaccine has sort of worked as knocking on 2000 people a day were dying just after Christmas and excess deaths were at the highest since world war 2. Has the vaccine rollout not corresponded with a significant drop in hospitalisations/deaths or have I got the wrong end of the stick? My understanding has always been that the vaccine didn't stop you from getting covid but vastly decreased your chances of getting badly ill/dying.

Private Message
Reply: 28 - 134
Maringer
July 20, 2021, 2:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Just going the French route, which is fine by me. France was having low uptake of vaccines in younger people eligible, until Macron decreed that full vaccination would begin to be required to visit bars/restaurants/clubs:

Tweet 1414823882637381635 will appear here...

My guess is that it will ultimately become a requirement for entry into pubs in the UK as well. That'll sort out any issues with underage drinking if continue not to vaccinate under-18s!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 134
Stadium
July 20, 2021, 8:02pm
Champagne Drinker
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/57905459

A capacity crowd of 140,000 attended the British Grand Prix at Silverstone on Sunday - the largest crowd for a sporting event in the UK since the start of the coronavirus pandemic.

There, all adults had to provide proof of full vaccination or be in possession of a negative test.

Laughable that will have taken place.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 134
aldi_01
July 21, 2021, 5:11am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Stadium
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/57905459

A capacity crowd of 140,000 attended the British Grand Prix at Silverstone on Sunday - the largest crowd for a sporting event in the UK since the start of the coronavirus pandemic.

There, all adults had to provide proof of full vaccination or be in possession of a negative test.

Laughable that will have taken place.

This is my point…might be allergy for some tinpot nightclub in some back water town (not sure doorstaff will bother either) but large outdoor gigs won’t bottom themselves…bigger things to worry about, more important things to worry about. Nobody at Silverstone seemed to be arsed either…if you’re worried, don’t go. Nobody is making them…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 134
Stadium
July 21, 2021, 5:37pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

This is my point…might be allergy for some tinpot nightclub in some back water town (not sure doorstaff will bother either) but large outdoor gigs won’t bottom themselves…bigger things to worry about, more important things to worry about. Nobody at Silverstone seemed to be arsed either…if you’re worried, don’t go. Nobody is making them…

Quite interesting wasn't it.
Needed a negative lateral flow test for entry.
You can just enter a  negative result on the app regardless of the result with zero verification.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 134
aldi_01
July 21, 2021, 7:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Stadium

Quite interesting wasn't it.
Needed a negative lateral flow test for entry.
You can just enter a  negative result on the app regardless of the result with zero verification.

I’m sure someone will come on here and tell us silverstone was a hotbed of Covid blah blah but I agree, a system that allows you to just put whatever you want seems pointless…as have most of the rules…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 134
Stadium
September 12, 2021, 6:44pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

I’m sure someone will come on here and tell us silverstone was a hotbed of Covid blah blah but I agree, a system that allows you to just put whatever you want seems pointless…as have most of the rules…

Interesting there has been zero feedback from these events.
Good decision to not introduce them but have zero faith in a possible introduction another time.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 134
Humbercod
September 12, 2021, 7:06pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Stadium

Interesting there has been zero feedback from these events.
Good decision to not introduce them but have zero faith in a possible introduction another time.

Might have something to do with them tanking in the polls.
Would have achieved nothing in controlling Covid, good decision for all of us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 134
LH
September 12, 2021, 8:35pm

Cynically I don’t think they were ever a serious consideration and the cancelling of the idea is a good way of changing the news agenda from a tax hike.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 134
aldi_01
September 12, 2021, 10:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from LH
Cynically I don’t think they were ever a serious consideration and the cancelling of the idea is a good way of changing the news agenda from a tax hike.

The Covid passport nonsense has only ever really been a bullying tactic to frighten people in to having a vaccine…if anyone genuinely feels safer knowing people surrounding them have had the vaccine then I’d argue they probably never feel safe anywhere.

Similar to the deaths reported just now on the news…any death recorded in which the poor soul tested positive within the last 28 days…test positive this week, gone by next week, killed by a bus the following week…get that included in the figures heir Johnson…

The Covid passport would’ve served zero purpose…having been to three events ‘requiring’ a Covid passport I can hand on heart say that worrying whether and checking whether someone has a vaccine was the least of anyone’s worries, nor did it make the event any more or less safe…not to mention security seemingly not that arsed.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 134
ginnywings
September 13, 2021, 12:42pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
They were always gong to change their mind. It's what they do best.

Boris has spent his life saying one thing and doing another.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 134
Stadium
September 14, 2021, 5:15pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
They were always gong to change their mind. It's what they do best.

Boris has spent his life saying one thing and doing another.

Definitely bringing them in, at the weekend definitely not.
Possibly again today.

Tweet 1437746661963534336 will appear here...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 134
Stadium
November 14, 2021, 7:09pm
Champagne Drinker
Absolutely disgraceful by Austria of all countries.

https://www.reuters.com/busine.....lockdown-2021-11-14/

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 134
Humbercod
November 14, 2021, 9:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Stadium

How anybody can support this is beyond me! I heard the conspiracy a year ago about being stopped in the streets in the future to show your papers but I didn’t actually believe it would come to this. Don’t for one minute think this evil will be isolated to Austria.
In other news hardline Covid mandate enforcer the first minister of Wales -

Tweet 1459968593475649540 will appear here...

These illegitimates are laughing at us🤬
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 134
Maringer
November 14, 2021, 10:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Stadium

*Shrugs*  As I mentioned in the other thread, the Germanic countries have a relatively large proportion of older people unvaccinated due to the strong anti-vaxx movements over there. The Austrian government obviously thinks that putting these people into lockdown will protect them from risk of infection and therefore, the health service from being overwhelmed. Also fully vaccinated people are still less likely to pass on the virus, even though it's not a guarantee, so that's a public health issue as well. Probably won't work (because anti-vaxxers will be anti-vaxxers regardless and will probably break the rules) but perfectly sensible logic.

It's just another approach similar to the vaccine mandates of certain countries, such as France.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 134
codcheeky
November 15, 2021, 4:22am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Humbercod

How anybody can support this is beyond me! I heard the conspiracy a year ago about being stopped in the streets in the future to show your papers but I didn’t actually believe it would come to this. Don’t for one minute think this evil will be isolated to Austria.
In other news hardline Covid mandate enforcer the first minister of Wales -

Tweet 1459968593475649540 will appear here...

These illegitimates are laughing at us🤬

We have had pretty much the same here in Greece for over a week now, you cannot go into any shop, bar, restaurant or cafe or indoor event without proof of double vaccination, the only exceptions being the supermarket and chemist were face masks are compulsory.
The fine for any shop found to have broken this rule is 5,000 euros for a first offence, there is pretty much 100% compliance, many Brits are not allowed in places because the scanners do not recognise the NHS app and owners would rather turn them away than take a risk.
Around 40 deaths a day here was too many and people demanded drastic action, there is certainly a cultural difference when it comes to looking after old people here, we have over 200 die in a day in the U.K. and it struggles to make the news, the U.K. for the most part has become immune to the shock of so many dying, tired of or lazy about wearing masks and social distancing . If these measures are a success I expect they will become a template for much of Europe
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 134
Stadium
November 15, 2021, 5:33pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from codcheeky

We have had pretty much the same here in Greece for over a week now, you cannot go into any shop, bar, restaurant or cafe or indoor event without proof of double vaccination, the only exceptions being the supermarket and chemist were face masks are compulsory.
The fine for any shop found to have broken this rule is 5,000 euros for a first offence, there is pretty much 100% compliance, many Brits are not allowed in places because the scanners do not recognise the NHS app and owners would rather turn them away than take a risk.
Around 40 deaths a day here was too many and people demanded drastic action, there is certainly a cultural difference when it comes to looking after old people here, we have over 200 die in a day in the U.K. and it struggles to make the news, the U.K. for the most part has become immune to the shock of so many dying, tired of or lazy about wearing masks and social distancing . If these measures are a success I expect they will become a template for much of Europe

Not quite true, in Greece you can still provide evidence of a negative test.
In Austria COVID tests (both PCR and antigen) are no longer valid as "entry tests".

"Drastic" action doesn't seem to have had much effect.

https://www.ekathimerini.com/n.....ins-high-with-6-950/

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 134
codcheeky
November 15, 2021, 7:09pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Stadium

Not quite true, in Greece you can still provide evidence of a negative test.
In Austria COVID tests (both PCR and antigen) are no longer valid as "entry tests".

"Drastic" action doesn't seem to have had much effect.

https://www.ekathimerini.com/n.....ins-high-with-6-950/

While this is technically true, in practice it is very difficult, and not practical, they will not let you in , a negative test from yesterday does not prove you are negative today, self testing is not really a thing either as tests are not free and are expected be carried out by a medical professional.
  It is drastic action, whether it works or not remains to be seen. A week is a a very short time to judge any results. There is a time lag between any action and the results of that action
You would think two years into a global epidemic, loads of different approaches and lots of data there would be a much clearer view of the best way forward.  However it seems there is still no blueprint for the best way of dealing with the virus.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 134
Maringer
November 15, 2021, 10:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Well, we're sort of back on the route towards a "Covid Pass" if recent reports are to be believed:

https://www.theguardian.com/wo.....to-obtain-covid-pass

Seems pretty pointless if passes such as this couldn't be implemented until the Spring, which they couldn't because of the dosing schedules which are in place. Also, it would theoretically be after the winter peak(s?) and you'd hope infection rates would be falling by then as the weather presumably improves. Very strange timing. I wonder what they are up to?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 134
Humbercod
November 16, 2021, 8:30am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Well, we're sort of back on the route towards a "Covid Pass" if recent reports are to be believed:

Seems pretty pointless if passes such as this couldn't be implemented until the Spring, which they couldn't because of the dosing schedules which are in place. Also, it would theoretically be after the winter peak(s?) and you'd hope infection rates would be falling by then as the weather presumably improves. Very strange timing. I wonder what they are up to?

The penny drops!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 134
Stadium
November 16, 2021, 8:36pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

Pointless as per Scotland & Wales.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-59288384

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 134
Stadium
November 16, 2021, 8:52pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from codcheeky

While this is technically true, in practice it is very difficult, and not practical, they will not let you in , a negative test from yesterday does not prove you are negative today, self testing is not really a thing either as tests are not free and are expected be carried out by a medical professional.
  It is drastic action, whether it works or not remains to be seen. A week is a a very short time to judge any results. There is a time lag between any action and the results of that action
You would think two years into a global epidemic, loads of different approaches and lots of data there would be a much clearer view of the best way forward.  However it seems there is still no blueprint for the best way of dealing with the virus.

The point was that people could still access services without been forced to take a vaccination.
Which is correct in Greece bar the obstacles which you state.
The restrictions were in place back in August .

https://apnews.com/article/eur.....db7aa36fd73a2cbbb50c

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 134
codcheeky
November 16, 2021, 10:39pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Stadium

The point was that people could still access services without been forced to take a vaccination.
Which is correct in Greece bar the obstacles which you state.
The restrictions were in place back in August .

https://apnews.com/article/eur.....db7aa36fd73a2cbbb50c

They changed them and tightened them a week last Saturday. Up until then nothing but wearing masks was enforced and you were not allowed to eat inside restaurant unless doubled vaccinated
The hospitals in the North are pretty full, they are a drive to coerce everyone to get vaccinated. Those not vaccinated can still go outside pretty unrestricted and shop in supermarkets and chemists, so not as severe as Austria but as I said it is about universally enforced by shops and cafes for fear of the fines or the thread of a complete lockdown like there was last winter.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 134
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
November 17, 2021, 12:11am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,784
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from codcheeky

They changed them and tightened them a week last Saturday. Up until then nothing but wearing masks was enforced. The hospitals in the North are pretty full, they are a drive to coerce everyone to get vaccinated. Those not vaccinated can still go outside pretty unrestricted and shop in supermarkets and chemists, so not as severe as Austria but as I said it is about universally enforced by shops and cafes for fear of the fines or the thread of a complete lockdown like there was last winter.

My experience from going to the Greek Islands this summer was the local healthcare providers BarryConloning it in by charging €50 α ρσρ to slap a cotton bud on your tongue for a milli-second.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 134
Humbercod
November 17, 2021, 6:35am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Stadium

Pointless as per Scotland & Wales.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-59288384

Total waste of time almost every single country implementing vaccine passports has subsequently seen a huge spikes in cases. They are completely counterproductive. Look at Ireland and The Netherlands for instance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 134
aldi_01
November 19, 2021, 12:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Literally not seen a single argument that provides benefits of some passport…other than to bully people in to having a vaccine…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 134
Maringer
November 19, 2021, 1:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
Literally not seen a single argument that provides benefits of some passport…other than to bully people in to having a vaccine…

That's a public health benefit in itself.

I do think the passport thing was of marginal worth when it became clear that there was considerable waning in protection taking place. However, indications appear to be that the booster should provide much longer-lasting protection. Probably for a year at least. Certainly worthwhile adding that in to the passport scheme. Younger people who are fully vaccinated ought to have a decent level of protection still even with waning so double dosing in that group ought to be enough for the winter, providing they haven't had the AZ vaccine which starts at a lower level and then wanes faster. Of course, the absolute value of vaccine passports is all relative when we're not bothering to vaccinate our children in any case, unlike all our peers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 134
Stadium
November 19, 2021, 1:10pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

*Shrugs*  As I mentioned in the other thread, the Germanic countries have a relatively large proportion of older people unvaccinated due to the strong anti-vaxx movements over there. The Austrian government obviously thinks that putting these people into lockdown will protect them from risk of infection and therefore, the health service from being overwhelmed. Also fully vaccinated people are still less likely to pass on the virus, even though it's not a guarantee, so that's a public health issue as well. Probably won't work (because anti-vaxxers will be anti-vaxxers regardless and will probably break the rules) but perfectly sensible logic.

It's just another approach similar to the vaccine mandates of certain countries, such as France.

Didn't really give it a chance did they?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59343650

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 134
Maringer
November 19, 2021, 1:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
That's because the shite is really hitting the fan over there. Germany probably heading that way also, although it is more difficult for them to get the laws through given their various federal parliaments must agree to it and some of them are dominated by the anti-vaxxers themselves. A bit like the US where it's all well and good what Biden and his administration recommend, but you'll always get a Republican wingnut doing the exact opposite.

This isn't to say Germany needs a general lockdown but that's certainly the noises coming out of the RKI.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 134
aldi_01
November 19, 2021, 2:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Why is someone who chooses not to have a vaccine suddenly an antivaxxer?

To me, an antivaxxer is someone that pedals conspiracy theories and the likes, and don’t get me wrong, plenty are but equally I know people who, for various reasons haven’t had it but they aren’t antivaxxer and certainly haven’t forced other to not have it…

The booster scheme was always going to be rolled out, people can believe what they want about stats and virus rates and all that shebang but we all know that with the potential for serious profits and capital gain, it was going to be rolled out regardless…

I’m still not sure what public health gain there is from me telling someone I’ve been vaccinated against something…

Thankfully, this week I’ve been to two gigs and nobody was arsed. We’ve been going in to BP every week, they don’t check, do people feel any more or less safe? I’m not sure they do…people just go about their business…

People in their cars with masks on are still a highlight of my day though…

As I’ve said all along, it should always be about choice…but then, all this hyperbole and nonsense about vaccines and boosters has done a cracking job of keeping joe public’s eye away from the real issues in the country…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 134
Stadium
November 19, 2021, 2:40pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

To me, an antivaxxer is someone that pedals conspiracy theories and the likes, and don’t get me wrong, plenty are but equally I know people who, for various reasons haven’t had it but they aren’t antivaxxer and certainly haven’t forced other to not have it…

The booster scheme was always going to be rolled out, people can believe what they want about stats and virus rates and all that shebang but we all know that with the potential for serious profits and capital gain, it was going to be rolled out regardless…

I’m still not sure what public health gain there is from me telling someone I’ve been vaccinated against something…

Thankfully, this week I’ve been to two gigs and nobody was arsed. We’ve been going in to BP every week, they don’t check, do people feel any more or less safe? I’m not sure they do…people just go about their business…

As I’ve said all along, it should always be about choice…but then, all this hyperbole and nonsense about vaccines and boosters has done a cracking job of keeping joe public’s eye away from the real issues in the country…

Already plans in place for annual vaccination.

https://inews.co.uk/nhs/nhs-an.....da-pritchard-1304264

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 134
Maringer
November 19, 2021, 3:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

Here's what the boosters are doing right now:

If you think it's hyperbole and nonsense, perhaps ask yourself why Austria (lower vaccination rate than the UK, especially in older folk) is going into a national lockdown and Germany is heading that way, yet we're able to just about blunder on through with such high rates of infection for the past months? Of course, they probably aren't as willing as we are to have their health care system on the brink of collapse as we apparently are so they are probably moving early to try and help things in that regard. It's quite odd, because our vaccination programme and 'Plan A' has been a huge success in the older age groups, but a pathetic failure in children.

We're not currently in lockdown because of the vaccines and because of the booster programme. It's as simple as that. Hopefully we'll be able to continue in this way, but there's a cold snap coming so we'll have to see how well things hold up when everyone is stuck mostly indoors for a couple of weeks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 134
Humbercod
November 19, 2021, 6:07pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

Here's what the boosters are doing right now:

If you think it's hyperbole and nonsense, perhaps ask yourself why Austria (lower vaccination rate than the UK, especially in older folk) is going into a national lockdown and Germany is heading that way, yet we're able to just about blunder on through with such high rates of infection for the past months? Of course, they probably aren't as willing as we are to have their health care system on the brink of collapse as we apparently are so they are probably moving early to try and help things in that regard. It's quite odd, because our vaccination programme and 'Plan A' has been a huge success in the older age groups, but a pathetic failure in children.

We're not currently in lockdown because of the vaccines and because of the booster programme. It's as simple as that. Hopefully we'll be able to continue in this way, but there's a cold snap coming so we'll have to see how well things hold up when everyone is stuck mostly indoors for a couple of weeks.

How does everybody in Gibraltar being vaccinated but find Xmas already cancelled square into your round hole and with Ireland on 94% vaccinated heading the same way😂

Keep complying or wake the intercourse up!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 134
GYinScuntland
November 19, 2021, 8:02pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,210
Gold Stars: 97
They came first for the communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a communist...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 134
Humbercod
November 20, 2021, 2:00pm
Cocktail Drinker
If there is anybody (vaccinated or unvaccinated) still not taking vitamin D then I would suggest watching the following videos -

Seriously why is our government not promoting this?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 134
codcheeky
November 21, 2021, 7:51pm
Cocktail Drinker
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 134
Ipswin
November 21, 2021, 9:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Humbercod
If there is anybody (vaccinated or unvaccinated) still not taking vitamin D then I would suggest watching the following videos -

Seriously why is our government not promoting this?

The Government issued a course of them on application to all those over 60 some months ago

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 134
Humbercod
November 22, 2021, 6:55am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from codcheeky

Source? ……..Anonymous! 😳

Even official government data disagrees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 134
Humbercod
November 22, 2021, 6:59am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

The Government issued a course of them on application to all those over 60 some months ago

Only for those most at risk and now closed, what a load of bollox they cost penny’s!
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/.....people-at-high-risk/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 134
lew chaterleys lover
November 22, 2021, 9:54am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
With the chaos ensuing in Germany and other European countries it shows that whatever governments do it is only a temporary reprieve.  The disease will run its course in spite of governments.

Basically all anybody can do is protect the vulnerable as best we can and carry on regardless.

It is purely a personal choice re vaccination and we must respect that.
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 134
Maringer
November 22, 2021, 11:08am
Barley Wine Drinker
If you don't get infected, you can't infect somebody else.

The vaccines (and the boosters especially) still greatly reduce the risk of infection so remain the best way to protect the vulnerable.

Get vaccinated.

The vaccination numbers in many European countries (the Germanic ones, especially) are misleading because they've vaccinated a larger proportion of their teens than us. Unfortunately, this means that some of these countries have many more unvaccinated in older age groups than we do and this is why things are likely to get pretty bad over there. It was completely avoidable. Things going to crap in the Netherlands and Belgium once again as well. Vaccination rates in Brussels are really low, for example, so the high number of infections and deaths in previous waves aren't going to reduce infection rates too much this time around.

When the pandemic hit almost 2 years ago, we were in the dark and just guessing the best way to proceed. We know so much more about the virus and how it spreads now, so it is pretty tragic that people are ignoring the lessons learned the hard way. Not a surprise considering the amount of disinformation about in the modern world.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 134
Humbercod
November 22, 2021, 12:23pm
Cocktail Drinker
And yet Japan now issuing Ivermectin (now legal in Japan) and have seen hospitalisation plummet 99% but nothing to do with Ivermectin according to Pharma funded fact checkers!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 134
mariner91
November 22, 2021, 9:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,248
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from Humbercod
And yet Japan now issuing Ivermectin (now legal in Japan) and have seen hospitalisation plummet 99% but nothing to do with Ivermectin according to Pharma funded fact checkers!

Source?

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 134
Maringer
November 23, 2021, 12:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Unsurprisingly, it's a load of bullshit:

https://fullfact.org/health/japan-not-using-ivermectin-instead-vaccines-treat-covid-19/

What have the Japanese done to crush infection rates so much? Wear masks and get vaccinated in large numbers. It seems to be working, oddly enough. They've also had pretty good contact tracing (we've never really bothered) and people in Japan have complied with the restrictions, limited though they have generally been.

They've done pretty well overall considering the age of their population, the population density and their slow initial rollout of the vaccines. Having the Olympics in the summer probably helped gee them up a bit as well, I reckon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 134
Grimsby2012
November 23, 2021, 12:26am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -8
Approval: -1,466
Gold Stars: 22
I was offered an exemption certificate by my doctor. If your unable to.get one due to medical or mental health issues, you can simply get a covid passport without having the vaccine. Simple.

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 134
Maringer
November 23, 2021, 7:04am
Barley Wine Drinker
If you have medical issues, there ought to be the potential to get the AZ antibody treatment if you're in an at risk grouping. The data from the trials seems to show it offers a long-lasting prophylactic effect. Not sure that there are any medical problems which make the use of vaccination more of a risk, however. I suppose psychological issues around needles might count? A vaccine passport for unvaccinated and unprotected people doesn't make sense, however. The virus doesn't care if you think you've got reasons not to get the vaccine. It will just try to replicate wherever it can - its all it exists for.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 134
Humbercod
November 23, 2021, 7:05am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Unsurprisingly, it's a load of bullshit:

https://fullfact.org/health/japan-not-using-ivermectin-instead-vaccines-treat-covid-19/

What have the Japanese done to crush infection rates so much? Wear masks and get vaccinated in large numbers. It seems to be working, oddly enough. They've also had pretty good contact tracing (we've never really bothered) and people in Japan have complied with the restrictions, limited though they have generally been.

They've done pretty well overall considering the age of their population, the population density and their slow initial rollout of the vaccines. Having the Olympics in the summer probably helped gee them up a bit as well, I reckon.

You are the one who is full of excrement!
I didn’t say they had stopped using the clvaccine for a start!
Tweet 1430970372757807111 will appear here...

Oh well carry on and you will soon be on your 4th booster with reports coming from Israel it’s actually damaging the immune system ‘Immuno Errosion’  with an higher death count than last year and almost all vaccinated.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 134
Humbercod
November 23, 2021, 7:12am
Cocktail Drinker
Approx 2 weeks after this video from the chairman of the Tokyo medical association was played to the Japanese nation cases plummeted (ivermectin not illegal now and freely available) and cases deaths remain at virtually 0.

https://freewestmedia.com/2021/11/03/japan-sees-huge-drop-in-cases-after-it-switches-to-ivermectin

You talk about mask and restrictions but nothing dramatically changed until ivermectin, take your head out the sand.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 134
Humbercod
November 23, 2021, 7:23am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

Did you actually read your fact check???
Confirms medical authorities are encouraging Ivermectin! And again get your own facts correct I never mentioned the vaccines there had stopped!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 134
Humbercod
November 23, 2021, 7:37am
Cocktail Drinker
All just a coincidence must be the masks 🤔

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1105032/japan-new-confirmed-cases-of-coronavirus-by-day/

Click on the bar chart icon to see the fall.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 134
Humbercod
November 24, 2021, 7:30am
Cocktail Drinker
I’ve read so many cases like this where a judge is having to step in it’s almost unbelievable this is the latest one -
https://rescue.substack.com/p/a-judge-stands-up-to-a-hospital-step

I wonder how many lives in this country have been unnecessary lost😕
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 134
Humbercod
November 24, 2021, 8:18am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

Source?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 134
LH
November 25, 2021, 11:45pm

This seems as good a place to post this as anywhere: this week I lost a colleague to Covid - the first person I have known even to go to hospital with the virus. I work at a fairly large site and wasn’t very well acquainted with the man in question but I had done a course with him before. He was no older than his early 40s and had a young family with kids of primary school age. I’m told that his wife had recently recovered from cancer. He was in an induced coma and on dialysis in his last month of his life.

This man was a serving member of HM Forces - not an unfit or overweight person, not elderly and highly unlikely to have underlying health conditions. I have absolutely no idea of his vaccine status and no agenda with regards this. My point is this virus hits differently to anything we’ve had in decades - anybody who is a positive case has my best wishes for a full recovery.
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 134
ginnywings
November 27, 2021, 4:44pm

Recovering Alcoholic
The new variant has hit the UK. Didn't take long.

It's in Nottingham, so it won't be long before it's on the East coast as day trippers from there tend to visit Mabo, Skeggy and here.

Press conference at 5 o'clock.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 134
Stadium
November 27, 2021, 6:26pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from codcheeky

Obviously had no or little effect at all.

https://ourworldindata.org/exp.....lse&country=~GRC

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 134
mariner91
November 27, 2021, 6:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Humbercod

Did you actually read your fact check???
Confirms medical authorities are encouraging Ivermectin! And again get your own facts correct I never mentioned the vaccines there had stopped!

"At the time of writing, the question is still a subject of research. The World Health Organisation and the European Medicines Agency have said that ivermectin should not be used to prevent or treat Covid-19 except in the context of a clinical trial.

Ivermectin does not appear on a list of approved treatments for Covid-19 from Japan’s Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices Agency (PMDA).

A spokesperson for PMDA told the fact checking organisation AFP: “Clinical trial of Ivermectin is reportedly on-going. However, Ivermectin is not approved for use to treat disease caused by SARS-CoV-2 infection (COVID-19).”

The chair of the Tokyo Medical Association, Haruo Ozaki, has spoken in favour of using ivermectin to treat Covid-19. However, the association cannot introduce new treatments and only has the power to lobby the Japanese government for changes."

One doctor has spoken in favour of using it, it is not a licensed treatment as of yet and is not the reason that Japan has low deaths or cases as you've been claiming. I don't know enough about the drug to have any strong opinion on it's use or not but you really do jump to conclusions from limited evidence.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 134
Stadium
November 27, 2021, 6:34pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
The new variant has hit the UK. Didn't take long.

It's in Nottingham, so it won't be long before it's on the East coast as day trippers from there tend to visit Mabo, Skeggy and here.

Press conference at 5 o'clock.

Comedy, start wearing masks again in shops & on transport.
PCR tests on arrival, you could  produce a negative test then a couple of days later test positive.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 134
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
November 27, 2021, 6:51pm
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +2 / -5
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 78
How long till masks in BP? The attendance will half

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 134
LH
November 27, 2021, 7:39pm

Bet you it doesn’t.
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 134
Maringer
November 27, 2021, 9:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
You'd have to be a complete flipping idiot to refuse to go to a game because you were required to wear a mask.

The cat is certainly out of the bag as regards this Omicron variant already. Earliest detection in SA is from 11th November, the available data seems to show it massively out-completing Delta in South Africa since and it's only a week since we played SA at Twickenham with a full house and thousands across from SA. Given the apparent vaccine/prior infection escape (it's a descendant of Beta, not Delta) it is likely that perhaps dozens of spectators had this variant last week and, you'd assume, passed it on to a lot of other folk, even if they were vaccinated.

We'll know soon enough because it has the same dropout feature in one of the genes that Alpha had and Delta doesn't. Delta has been so dominant that Alpha is all but gone so they can do the quick test on samples to see how many are likely to be Omicron.

That's about the only good news. A couple of the antibody treatments they give to the sickest people probably won't work any longer. A couple of the mutations it has have been modelled with an indication that it might make it even more infectious than Delta (it already has the Delta mutations). Just have to hope that prior infection and the vaccines give decent protection against serious illness through the T-cell response and also that the boosters will continue to help.

Of course, it would be even nicer if it had mutated itself away from being so potentially dangerous to those infected, but only time will tell on that.

Could be another excrement Christmas ahead.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 134
aldi_01
November 27, 2021, 9:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Nobody will wear a mask at a match should they introduce it…most will use a scarf and pretend…after all, we were told that would suffice from the government.

More nonsense. A convenient new strain arrives for the winter, just as the government are trying to force folk in to having a booster…for a vaccine they’ve just said probably offers little protection…

So which minister has a load of masks they need to shift?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 134
LH
November 27, 2021, 9:44pm

Pretty much what Aldi said. If today’s match went ahead most people’s faces would have been covered with scarves or high-zipped coats anyway. No change to a normal November match. I have no issue with masks personally and have continued to wear one where I have felt it necessary.

Not doing the circuit breaker last September? caused and excessive spread late last year causing the November lockdown and inaction over Alpha caused the January-April lockdown. These long periods of lockdown will mean that no-one will pay any notice of any measures - even light ones - in the months ahead.

Telling people to get boosters one minute and then saying the Omicron variant is *possibly* going to evade them won’t help uptake.

There is no sense in vaccinated contacts of OV positives having to isolate for ten days. If they test positive yes, obviously but a clear test and a pack of LFTs for daily tests should be sufficient. Are they saying that they’d got it wrong previously? Or are they just making it up as they go along? We have a world beating test system if you hadn’t heard…
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 134
Humbercod
November 28, 2021, 11:54am
Cocktail Drinker
New bullshit deadly variant just in time for Xmas get your masks back on 😂😂😂 Keep taking them boosters😂😂😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 134
Humbercod
November 28, 2021, 12:31pm
Cocktail Drinker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 134
Humbercod
November 28, 2021, 2:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

"At the time of writing, the question is still a subject of research. The World Health Organisation and the European Medicines Agency have said that ivermectin should not be used to prevent or treat Covid-19 except in the context of a clinical trial.

Ivermectin does not appear on a list of approved treatments for Covid-19 from Japan’s Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices Agency (PMDA).

A spokesperson for PMDA told the fact checking organisation AFP: “Clinical trial of Ivermectin is reportedly on-going. However, Ivermectin is not approved for use to treat disease caused by SARS-CoV-2 infection (COVID-19).”

The chair of the Tokyo Medical Association, Haruo Ozaki, has spoken in favour of using ivermectin to treat Covid-19. However, the association cannot introduce new treatments and only has the power to lobby the Japanese government for changes."

One doctor has spoken in favour of using it, it is not a licensed treatment as of yet and is not the reason that Japan has low deaths or cases as you've been claiming. I don't know enough about the drug to have any strong opinion on it's use or not but you really do jump to conclusions from limited evidence.

He made the announcement 2 weeks before cases just plummeted! I have checked and although ivermectin may not be officially approved it can still be bought unlike in the Uk.I have checked and it’s no problem buying online or in some cases being prescribed by a doctor under emergency use.

Haruo Ozaki had actually made a similar call for ivermectin back in February but this was at a time when vaccines were going to be the answer and doctors were still finding out more info. In August when covid cases went through the roof Dr Ozaki summoned the media again to rally all doctors to do what is right and to use IVermectin 2 weeks after his media blitz we saw the results make of them as you want.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 134
ginnywings
November 28, 2021, 3:59pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Humbercod
New bullshit deadly variant just in time for Xmas get your masks back on 😂😂😂 Keep taking them boosters😂😂😂

I see this said a lot and I just don't get it.

What has the government got to gain by duping/scaring people into taking precautions, including wearing masks and taking a vaccine? Also, what has Xmas got to do with it?

Are all those covid deaths to date a myth?

Someone care to explain their reasoning?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 134
Humbercod
November 28, 2021, 7:47pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

I see this said a lot and I just don't get it.

What has the government got to gain by duping/scaring people into taking precautions, including wearing masks and taking a vaccine? Also, what has Xmas got to do with it?

Are all those covid deaths to date a myth?

Someone care to explain their reasoning?

You’ve got two choices Ginny… follow the science or follow the narrative.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 134
mariner91
November 28, 2021, 8:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gl.....riant-says-symptoms/

Strange symptoms but possibly not particularly severe. Obviously the demographics of SA are very different to here but fingers crossed this new variant is not particularly deadly.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 134
Maringer
November 28, 2021, 9:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Unsurprisingly, the Torygraph selectively quoted what the Doctor actually said which was that cases in young and healthy people were mild (as they generally are for other variants), but that she hadn't see it in older or unvaccinated people yet:

As a contrast, here's what the head of the ICU in a Soweto hospital said:

Should be noted that South Africa has a crazily high rate of HIV infections (something like 25% in some groups, I think) so these people in Soweto could well have compromised immune systems and be at more risk.

Let's hope it is milder than other variants, but there's absolutely no reason why it should be.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 134
LH
November 28, 2021, 10:07pm

Quoted from mariner91
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gl.....riant-says-symptoms/

Strange symptoms but possibly not particularly severe. Obviously the demographics of SA are very different to here but fingers crossed this new variant is not particularly deadly.

I saw something earlier that said only 6% of SA is over the age of 65. Which isn’t great for getting a true picture of how different it is.
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 134
ginnywings
November 29, 2021, 12:35am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Humbercod

You’ve got two choices Ginny… follow the science or follow the narrative.

Is that the best you've got?

Problem with deniers like you is that you will only follow the science that fits your own narrative.

Vitamin D from some bloke on Youtube and Invermectin.

You come across like Trump and his insane ramblings about light therapy and Hydroxychloroquine.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 134
DB
November 29, 2021, 5:28am
Barley Wine Drinker
Anti vax person dies wishing they'd had the vacine.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne.....-tested-animals.html

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 134
Humbercod
November 29, 2021, 6:46am
Cocktail Drinker
How is the population in England & Wales coping since they introduced jabs for each age group?

12-14 27% more deaths compared to 5 year average

15-19 17% more deaths compared to 5 year average

20-24 13% more deaths compared to 5 year average

25-29 6% more deaths compared to 5 year average

30-34 13% more deaths compared to 5 year average

35-39 14% more deaths compared to 5 year average

40-44 17% more deaths compared to 5 year average

45-49 5% more deaths compared to 5 year average

50-54 7% more deaths compared to 5 year average

55-59 11% more deaths compared to 5 year average

60-64 11% more deaths compared to 5 year average

65-69 0% more deaths compared to 5 year average

70-74 10% more deaths compared to 5 year average

75-79 11% more deaths compared to 5 year average

80-84 4% more deaths compared to 5 year average

85-89 1% more deaths compared to 5 year average

90+ 3% more deaths compared to 5 year average

Source -
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplep.....e=Revue%20newsletter

Remember kids it’s to save granny!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 134
Humbercod
November 29, 2021, 7:00am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Is that the best you've got?

Problem with deniers like you is that you will only follow the science that fits your own narrative.

Vitamin D from some bloke on Youtube and Invermectin.

You come across like Trump and his insane ramblings about light therapy and Hydroxychloroquine.

Problem with government disciple’s like you, is what lead the Nazi’s to power.

Dr John Campbell one of the most respected Covid researchers you will find, totally non biased linking everything he reports with sourced bona fide data.

Mask on back behind the sofa let the rest of us get on with living our lives FFS!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 134
Humbercod
November 29, 2021, 8:13am
Cocktail Drinker
Mask mandated Scotland announce 6 cases of new variant 😷
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 134
DB
November 29, 2021, 11:13am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Humbercod
How is the population in England & Wales coping since they introduced jabs for each age group?

Source -

What's wrong with saving Grandad?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 134
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
November 29, 2021, 12:17pm
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +2 / -5
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 78
Quoted from DB
Anti vax person dies wishing they'd had the vacine.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne.....-tested-animals.html

This poor chap weighed 19 stone, just saying

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 134
mariner91
November 29, 2021, 9:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Humbercod

Source -

Except that's complete rubbish isn't it? And those sources don't show that at all. The title of those links literally says it's up to 2020 and gives data up to December 31st of last year. But the first vaccine was given on the 8th December last year. And virtually nobody under the age of 80 got one until January 2021 at the earliest.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 134
Humbercod
November 29, 2021, 10:45pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

Except that's complete rubbish isn't it? And those sources don't show that at all. The title of those links literally says it's up to 2020 and gives data up to December 31st of last year. But the first vaccine was given on the 8th December last year. And virtually nobody under the age of 80 got one until January 2021 at the earliest.

Something wrong with you they Go all the way up to November 2021
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 134
ginnywings
November 29, 2021, 11:05pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Humbercod

Problem with government disciple’s like you, is what lead the Nazi’s to power.

Dr John Campbell one of the most respected Covid researchers you will find, totally non biased linking everything he reports with sourced bona fide data.

Mask on back behind the sofa let the rest of us get on with living our lives FFS!

Where to start.

I couldn't be further from a government disciple and the Nazi analogy is just laughable.

You're the right winger here, not me. You're the one who wanted out of Europe and Johnny Foreigner sent back where he came from. That's the sort of thinking that leads to the rise of parties like the Nazi's.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 134
Humbercod
November 30, 2021, 7:06am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Where to start.

I couldn't be further from a government disciple and the Nazi analogy is just laughable.

You're the right winger here, not me. You're the one who wanted out of Europe and Johnny Foreigner sent back where he came from. That's the sort of thinking that leads to the rise of parties like the Nazi's.

Correction no.1 I wanted out the EU!
Correction no.2 I am Pro-skilled immigration!
Pro-collectivist and pro-socialist and that sort of thinking I’m most certainty not!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 134
codcheeky
November 30, 2021, 7:34am
Cocktail Drinker
There does seem to be uncharacteristic worry about this variant from the government who so far have always been behind the curve, hopefully they have learnt that waiting until it’s too late is a disaster
I saw a report in The.Mail which said the vaccine could be 8 times less effective against Omicron and other reports it is a milder strain and could hopefully see the start of the end of the pandemic. Hopefully the latter is the case, either way I believe the scientific evidence is much more clear than is being told to us
The cynic in me is thinking the Government has bought loads of virus doses that may become obsolete soon either way and needs to get them used up before they become ineffective  When our scientists are saying one day that the optimal time for a booster is six months and the next that it is now three months something doesn’t add up.
I am certainly not anti vaccine, my grandmother and two friends have died from COVID and I am grateful to have had my three, but it will be interesting to see if any other country follows this course. There appears to be great political capital in crowing about vaccine rollouts but in terms of deaths we have performed barring Russia the worst in all Europe even though it is still being spun as a great success.  
When one of our chief scientists starts talking in football analogies like we are all kids and don’t understand simple science it shows what those at the top think about the intelligence of the population
I would like to think that if a new strain as  potentially dangerous as omicron was discovered here first it would be reported straight away, however the way South Africa has been cut off for doing the right thing makes me wonder, either way recent history has shown once it’s out there dominant strains take over and this looks like it will be the case with Omicron, let’s hope that it’s not so deadly or can be contained better.
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 134
mariner91
November 30, 2021, 8:15am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Humbercod

Something wrong with you they Go all the way up to November 2021

“ Number of deaths from all causes by day, month and year of occurrence, by sex and age group, England and Wales, 1970 to 2020” is literally the title of your first link.

The second link was giving me the same thing last night, possibly something wrong with my laptop but either way apologies. I still question why you bothered putting the first link as your "source" when it shows absolutely nothing of what you're suggesting. I also don't see where those statistics for the age groups are, perhaps you could enlighten me? They give an overall number of deaths and the percentage that this is above or below the 5 year average but the most recent weeks don't even have a breakdown for age groups, let alone associated statistics.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 134
Maringer
November 30, 2021, 10:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
John Campbell has been a useful source of information during the pandemic, but he's really lost the plot regarding Ivermectin. He's not a researcher either, by the way, unless you count reading stuff on the internet and vlogging as being research. (That would make me a researcher for typing this post). Campbell is a former nurse whose PhD is in teaching nursing and, although he's got a decent grasp of most of the medical stuff given his background, he's not so good with the statistical side of things. He's obviously been taken in by the Ivermectin claims which isn't a surprise given he's interviewed the American proponents so many times, but he's got to the stage where he's become such a believer that he's pivoting his arguments when the evidence doesn't back it up. The meta-study which showed it was extremely effective was reliant on a couple of dodgy studies with results too good to be true. Those studies have since been withdrawn (because they were either made up or poorly designed), yet Campbell hasn't changed tack, even going as far as to claim that it is more effective than the new Pfizer drug, which is just nonsense.

He was a bit over-keen on Vitamin D being the answer to all problems as well last year, something which Tim Spector shot down in an interview on his YouTube channel (Spector previously carried out many studies into Vitamin D for other illnesses so knows what he's talking about), but Campbell has carried on with this. Not that extra Vitamin D is a bad thing for the vast majority of people.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 134
Maringer
November 30, 2021, 11:33am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from codcheeky
There does seem to be uncharacteristic worry about this variant from the government who so far have always been behind the curve, hopefully they have learnt that waiting until it’s too late is a disaster
I saw a report in The.Mail which said the vaccine could be 8 times less effective against Omicron and other reports it is a milder strain and could hopefully see the start of the end of the pandemic. Hopefully the latter is the case, either way I believe the scientific evidence is much more clear than is being told to us
The cynic in me is thinking the Government has bought loads of virus doses that may become obsolete soon either way and needs to get them used up before they become ineffective  When our scientists are saying one day that the optimal time for a booster is six months and the next that it is now three months something doesn’t add up.
I am certainly not anti vaccine, my grandmother and two friends have died from COVID and I am grateful to have had my three, but it will be interesting to see if any other country follows this course. There appears to be great political capital in crowing about vaccine rollouts but in terms of deaths we have performed barring Russia the worst in all Europe even though it is still being spun as a great success.  
When one of our chief scientists starts talking in football analogies like we are all kids and don’t understand simple science it shows what those at the top think about the intelligence of the population
I would like to think that if a new strain as  potentially dangerous as omicron was discovered here first it would be reported straight away, however the way South Africa has been cut off for doing the right thing makes me wonder, either way recent history has shown once it’s out there dominant strains take over and this looks like it will be the case with Omicron, let’s hope that it’s not so deadly or can be contained better.

Omicron is a descendant of Beta which we know a lot about. Do you know that AZ are already trialling a vaccine which targets the Beta variant, for example, and have been for months? Might actually be more effective than the others against Omicron. I suspect the other vaccine producers have been working on them as well. Omicron has the same mutations as Beta which make the current vaccines much less effective, similar mutations to the ones which make Delta greatly more transmissible than earlier variants and a couple of others which have been modelled (before they came into existence) to potentially make it easier for Covid to enter our cells. This is why the scientists are thinking Omicron is likely to be a Very Bad Thing. With a bit of luck, the illness caused by Omicron won't be any more serious than previous variants - although worth remembering that Alpha and Delta cause severe disease more often than the original virus out of Wuhan. We just don't know yet, however, and won't do for some weeks so being extra cautious seems a good idea. The claims of the potential for milder illness came from an interview with a South African doctor who said the cases she'd seen had been mild in younger people (as they generally are) but it wasn't yet certain how serious it would be in cases among the elderly and more vulnerable. The bit about uncertainty with those more at risk seems to have been ignored by the breathless reporting of the right-wing press. The Daily Mail said Omicron might be a 'Christmas gift', FFS. The idea that viruses evolve to become less deadly seems to have become accepted as fact, but tell that to smallpox which killed millions for centuries until we managed to eradicate it (through VACCINATION!) or Measles which still kills and maims children around the world to this day. More likely is that the evolutionary pressure from new pathogens which don't kill quickly such as Covid-19 lies on us. If you're genetically susceptible, you die, or suffer long-term health issues which make you die earlier. As do your children. Those who aren't as susceptible generally survive unscathed. That's evolution in action. No reason to expect that this should be any different with Covid-19 but we now have the understanding and technology to ensure that those susceptible hopefully don't die and neither do their children. Of course, the problem at present is we don't know why some younger people of more susceptible than others. Will probably know in a year or two, but hopefully we'll have the vaccines and treatments available by then to mean those at risk aren't selected out of existence.

The reason we've done badly during the pandemic is the pathetic governance of our country who have locked down too late on 3 occasions despite the advice from their scientists. Unless Omicron or a future nasty variant is really, really bad, I don't expect we'll be seeing further lockdowns, but we shouldn't be thinking we're out of the woods yet. The Herd Immunity by infection crowd who have been bragging about how clever we've been to let millions be infected since July will look a bit daft if Omicron can avoid most of the immune response generated by those Delta infections and still cause serious health problems. This is possible if not probable from what we know of the virus, but we'll know for sure in a month or two.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 134
lew chaterleys lover
November 30, 2021, 1:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

Omicron is a descendant of Beta which we know a lot about. Do you know that AZ are already trialling a vaccine which targets the Beta variant, for example, and have been for months? Might actually be more effective than the others against Omicron. I suspect the other vaccine producers have been working on them as well. Omicron has the same mutations as Beta which make the current vaccines much less effective, similar mutations to the ones which make Delta greatly more transmissible than earlier variants and a couple of others which have been modelled (before they came into existence) to potentially make it easier for Covid to enter our cells. This is why the scientists are thinking Omicron is likely to be a Very Bad Thing. With a bit of luck, the illness caused by Omicron won't be any more serious than previous variants - although worth remembering that Alpha and Delta cause severe disease more often than the original virus out of Wuhan. We just don't know yet, however, and won't do for some weeks so being extra cautious seems a good idea. The claims of the potential for milder illness came from an interview with a South African doctor who said the cases she'd seen had been mild in younger people (as they generally are) but it wasn't yet certain how serious it would be in cases among the elderly and more vulnerable. The bit about uncertainty with those more at risk seems to have been ignored by the breathless reporting of the right-wing press. The Daily Mail said Omicron might be a 'Christmas gift', FFS. The idea that viruses evolve to become less deadly seems to have become accepted as fact, but tell that to smallpox which killed millions for centuries until we managed to eradicate it (through VACCINATION!) or Measles which still kills and maims children around the world to this day. More likely is that the evolutionary pressure from new pathogens which don't kill quickly such as Covid-19 lies on us. If you're genetically susceptible, you die, or suffer long-term health issues which make you die earlier. As do your children. Those who aren't as susceptible generally survive unscathed. That's evolution in action. No reason to expect that this should be any different with Covid-19 but we now have the understanding and technology to ensure that those susceptible hopefully don't die and neither do their children. Of course, the problem at present is we don't know why some younger people of more susceptible than others. Will probably know in a year or two, but hopefully we'll have the vaccines and treatments available by then to mean those at risk aren't selected out of existence.

The reason we've done badly during the pandemic is the pathetic governance of our country who have locked down too late on 3 occasions despite the advice from their scientists. Unless Omicron or a future nasty variant is really, really bad, I don't expect we'll be seeing further lockdowns, but we shouldn't be thinking we're out of the woods yet. The Herd Immunity by infection crowd who have been bragging about how clever we've been to let millions be infected since July will look a bit daft if Omicron can avoid most of the immune response generated by those Delta infections and still cause serious health problems. This is possible if not probable from what we know of the virus, but we'll know for sure in a month or two.

I don't think it is useful to keep saying the UK has done badly. Have you seen what is happening on the continent? At various points during the pandemic different countries have been lauded for their reaction to it and the measures taken, only to come unstuck further down the line. Of course, every single thing in every single situation could have been handled better by every single country, but it is just not realistic is it?

Private Message
Reply: 113 - 134
codcheeky
November 30, 2021, 1:37pm
Cocktail Drinker

I don't think it is useful to keep saying the UK has done badly. Have you seen what is happening on the continent? At various points during the pandemic different countries have been lauded for their reaction to it and the measures taken, only to come unstuck further down the line. Of course, every single thing in every single situation could have been handled better by every single country, but it is just not realistic is it?

Unfortunately the death toll figures are the real test and although not over yet this country has a very poor record. Mainly through their initial herd immunity plan and discharging people from hospital to care homes without testing them. You are right that most countries could have done much better, let’s hope both they and us learn the lessons of our mistakes.  I am not saying these decisions are easy but allowing it into care homes unchecked was a disaster
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 134
Maringer
November 30, 2021, 2:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Germany, for example, has a larger and older population than us along with land borders with 9 or 10 other countries (and tens of thousands of workers commuting across those borders). The fact they they've got a much lower death rate than us to date in spite of the fact that they haven't vaccinated anywhere near as many of their older population (anti-vaxx sentiment stronger over there), shows just how much more effective their policies have been. FFP2 mask mandates on public transport and in shops, for example. Oh, and they fund their health service properly as well so have a lot more ICU beds and healthcare workers. Mostly, however, it is the public health things that they've done properly and we haven't. Remember, this government has ignored the scientific advice for earlier lockdowns or mitigations time after time before eventually going ahead with them long after case rates have exploded.

The first part of our vaccine rollout was done excellently well, the refusal to vaccinate teens when all our peers were doing it was absolutely baffling, the rollout in teens has since been pathetic, we're no nearer vaccinating the over 5s, unlike many countries and we're allowing rapid spread in schools with no mitigations in place. As I've mentioned many a time, the NHS is on its knees dealing with the case rates since July and, if Omicron is potentially as bad as thought, it could be the straw that broke the camel's back. The only hope is that this high past infection rate since the summer will slow down the spread and risks other variants such as Omicron, but that's just a hope, despite the fact that Javid was bragging in parliament about how other European countries envied us! 15,000 dead in the UK since 'Freedom Day' in July and winter is only just beginning...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 134
Humbercod
November 30, 2021, 4:44pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
John Campbell has been a useful source of information during the pandemic, but he's really lost the plot regarding Ivermectin. He's not a researcher either, by the way, unless you count reading stuff on the internet and vlogging as being research. (That would make me a researcher for typing this post). Campbell is a former nurse whose PhD is in teaching nursing and, although he's got a decent grasp of most of the medical stuff given his background, he's not so good with the statistical side of things. He's obviously been taken in by the Ivermectin claims which isn't a surprise given he's interviewed the American proponents so many times, but he's got to the stage where he's become such a believer that he's pivoting his arguments when the evidence doesn't back it up. The meta-study which showed it was extremely effective was reliant on a couple of dodgy studies with results too good to be true. Those studies have since been withdrawn (because they were either made up or poorly designed), yet Campbell hasn't changed tack, even going as far as to claim that it is more effective than the new Pfizer drug, which is just nonsense.

He was a bit over-keen on Vitamin D being the answer to all problems as well last year, something which Tim Spector shot down in an interview on his YouTube channel (Spector previously carried out many studies into Vitamin D for other illnesses so knows what he's talking about), but Campbell has carried on with this. Not that extra Vitamin D is a bad thing for the vast majority of people.

John Campbell only a useful source when you agree with him🙄

As for ivermectin we have clinical data from many randomised control trials (gold standard for clinical trials) and 7 meta analysis (platinum standard) which prove ivermectin is a highly effective treatment.

All trials have shown very positive results drastically reducing mortality, hospitalisation and the viral load. And it’s also a very potent preventative treatment which is why I take it . But if you’re still in denial links to all the studies can be found on the following websites run by medical Experts….  FLCCC - https://covid19criticalcare.com/
and the World council for health -  https://worldcouncilforhealth.org/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 134
DB
November 30, 2021, 5:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Is there a death rate figure for only 'covid' on the death certificate or are all deaths with covid added as a possible other reason( person dies of heart disease) included in covid deaths.?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 134
Maringer
November 30, 2021, 7:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
If a person dies of a heart attack because they catch Covid, does it really matter? Or if they die of a stroke because they catch Covid, for that matter? Medical issues are only mentioned on the death certificate if they are considered a major contributory factor in the death. The whole fake narrative that people aren't really dying of Covid but doctors are using it as a catch all is just nonsense, as the excess mortality figures show.

Oddly enough, the thousands of non-Covid deaths caused by an overwhelmed health care system (due to Covid) aren't counted as Covid deaths, either. Still deaths, which would be avoidable if we'd kept the pandemic under control more in the UK (oh, and funded the NHS well enough).

Tweet 1462069522752581633 will appear here...

The waiting list for treatment is now up to 6 million thanks to Covid, and rising because the government didn't try to keep transmission under control. Unfortunately, there will be a lot of deaths from cancer in coming years because the patients weren't able to get diagnosis or treatment quickly enough. They won't count as Covid deaths, either.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 134
Stadium
November 30, 2021, 8:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from codcheeky

Well once again the measures fell short.
Pay up oldies !!!
Disgrace.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59474808

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 134
Stadium
November 30, 2021, 8:26pm
Champagne Drinker

A senior minister has apologised for mistakes made in the handling of the coronavirus pandemic in the UK, after the death of at least 160,000 people and a landmark report that found the government’s management of the outbreak was one of the worst public health failures in British history.

Oliver Dowden, the chair of the Conservative party, said he was “very sorry” and admitted “we didn’t get everything right”, after a major investigation by two cross-party parliamentary select committees chaired by Tory MPs found a “fatalistic” approach taken in the early days of the outbreak led to many unnecessary deaths. It said an approach of British “exceptionalism” meant the UK fared “significantly worse” than others.

After the Cabinet Office minister Stephen Barclay refused to apologise on Tuesday, Dowden struck a more humble note. He told Sky News: “Of course I’m sorry, as the prime minister is sorry. I was just listening to the sort of experiences yesterday of those bereaved families and that kind of terrible loss that they have suffered. We are sorry for the losses that all those families have suffered.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dkobak/excess-mortality/main/img/countries.png

Disclaimer: In hindsight blah blah blah, Worse under Labour etc. etc............

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 134
lew chaterleys lover
November 30, 2021, 9:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Stadium

A senior minister has apologised for mistakes made in the handling of the coronavirus pandemic in the UK, after the death of at least 160,000 people and a landmark report that found the government’s management of the outbreak was one of the worst public health failures in British history.

Oliver Dowden, the chair of the Conservative party, said he was “very sorry” and admitted “we didn’t get everything right”, after a major investigation by two cross-party parliamentary select committees chaired by Tory MPs found a “fatalistic” approach taken in the early days of the outbreak led to many unnecessary deaths. It said an approach of British “exceptionalism” meant the UK fared “significantly worse” than others.

After the Cabinet Office minister Stephen Barclay refused to apologise on Tuesday, Dowden struck a more humble note. He told Sky News: “Of course I’m sorry, as the prime minister is sorry. I was just listening to the sort of experiences yesterday of those bereaved families and that kind of terrible loss that they have suffered. We are sorry for the losses that all those families have suffered.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dkobak/excess-mortality/main/img/countries.png

Disclaimer: In hindsight blah blah blah, Worse under Labour etc. etc............

Every country's politicians will have apologise. Nobody has got it all right have they? The vast majority of deaths all around the world have been people of great age who were coming to the end of their natural lives. I think the average age of covid deaths mirrored natural death age of around 82 years if I remember correctly.
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 134
KingstonMariner
December 1, 2021, 2:02pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 134
Stadium
December 3, 2021, 10:25am
Champagne Drinker

Every country's politicians will have apologise. Nobody has got it all right have they? The vast majority of deaths all around the world have been people of great age who were coming to the end of their natural lives. I think the average age of covid deaths mirrored natural death age of around 82 years if I remember correctly.

Err you said "I don't think it is useful to keep saying the UK has done badly."
Just post up the evidence to oppose the view they didn't please.
Don't really know why you've brought age into it??
I'd be embarrassed even to mention that with the governments performance around care homes which was a scandal.

A reminder.
https://www.carehome.co.uk/new.....re-homes-covid-tests

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 134
aldi_01
December 3, 2021, 12:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Whatever anyones view on Covid and the nonsense that’s surrounded it, the embarrassing government of the country can not be excused.

The cronyism, siphoning of public money and the hypocrisy is a joke, still, idiots will still vote for them…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 134
Maringer
December 3, 2021, 1:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
There isn't nonsense surrounding the novel coronavirus pandemic in which we find ourselves trapped and which has killed millions around the world already.

But you're certainly right about the embarrassing government! It's not the corruption that shocks me as much as the fact that they don't seem to care and nobody is calling them out on it! Just what is the point of the BBC if it isn't willing to point out that the Prime Minister lies about everything, all the time and that the corruption and ineptitude of the government knows no bounds?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 134
aldi_01
December 3, 2021, 1:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
There isn't nonsense surrounding the novel coronavirus pandemic in which we find ourselves trapped and which has killed millions around the world already.

But you're certainly right about the embarrassing government! It's not the corruption that shocks me as much as the fact that they don't seem to care and nobody is calling them out on it! Just what is the point of the BBC if it isn't willing to point out that the Prime Minister lies about everything, all the time and that the corruption and ineptitude of the government knows no bounds?

There’s an argument to say that the voting public are to blame, more the media they clearly know is skewed but still listen to. It’s no secret the Johnson is a scumbag, he was sending death threats to journos in the mid 90s, his lies have carried on. Billions wasted when Mayor of London and now this excrement show.

Still, whilst people are cryarsing over a fake migrant crisis and stopping RNLI boats launching to save people drowning they’ll seemingly be happy. Dear old Blighty eh…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 134
Stadium
December 6, 2021, 9:05pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

Errr...

Don't leave the house if you have a cold, Professor Tim Spector has said, as he warned one in three colds are “actually due to Covid”.

The professor of genetic epidemiology at King's College London, who founded the Zoe app, said people with cold-like symptoms should work from home and avoid Christmas parties in a bid to stem the spread of coronavirus.

The public should be "much more open-minded about who we are testing" and "get more people to isolate at least for a few days with cold-like symptoms", he told Times Radio.

"At the moment, we're estimating that somewhere between one in three and one in four colds are actually due to Covid," he said.

"And so that's quite a high rate of people that are currently not even bothered to get a lateral flow test, or getting a PCR test, going to parties and spreading it around.

"So, if that transfers to omicron then we're going to be compounding that problem much faster than we would need to."

He added: "We want to tell people that if you don't feel well that day, don't go out, don't go to work, work from home, because the start of that sniffle, the start of that sore throat, that headache could be a mild dose of Covid that is just breaking through your vaccine.

"I think everyone needs to be much more aware of a whole range of symptoms and not wait for the loss of smell or taste which may never come, not wait for fever, not wait for that persistent cough."

The first few days of infections are when you are most contagious, Prof Spector said.

"Whether it's a respiratory virus, you're just giving someone a cold, or you might be giving them omicron or delta, then it's those first few days," he said.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 134
codcheeky
December 6, 2021, 9:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 134
Maringer
December 6, 2021, 9:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Stadium

Errr...

[i]Don't leave the house if you have a cold, Professor Tim Spector has said, as he warned one in three colds are “actually due to Covid”.

Do you think this is really a bad idea with Delta rife and cases expanding, the NHS at breaking point already and the new Omicron variant (about which we know pretty much diddly squat) likely to accelerate to dominance in mere weeks? A bit of caution until we know a bit more about the effects of Omicron might be pretty sensible, actually. It's so new that we don't even have the data as to how dangerous it is likely to be to both the vaccinated and unvaccinated. We'll have a better idea in a week or two. Caution until then at least is very sensible.

Or, we could just carry on as usual, see a similar 3-4 day doubling time as South Africa and then discover we're facing a much more serious problem than we thought when there are tens of thousands of Omicron infections a day - alongside thousands of Delta infections.

You can't be cautious or sensible retrospectively. You'd have thought we'd have learned more from all of the many recent fuckups since the pandemic began.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 134
Stadium
December 6, 2021, 11:32pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

Do you think this is really a bad idea with Delta rife and cases expanding, the NHS at breaking point already and the new Omicron variant (about which we know pretty much diddly squat) likely to accelerate to dominance in mere weeks? A bit of caution until we know a bit more about the effects of Omicron might be pretty sensible, actually. It's so new that we don't even have the data as to how dangerous it is likely to be to both the vaccinated and unvaccinated. We'll have a better idea in a week or two. Caution until then at least is very sensible.

Or, we could just carry on as usual, see a similar 3-4 day doubling time as South Africa and then discover we're facing a much more serious problem than we thought when there are tens of thousands of Omicron infections a day - alongside thousands of Delta infections.

You can't be cautious or sensible retrospectively. You'd have thought we'd have learned more from all of the many recent fuckups since the pandemic began.

It's laughable really when the so called experts don't even discuss it.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/omicron-variant-covid-sage-scientists-new-strain-emerged-1338256

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 134
ginnywings
December 7, 2021, 12:56am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Stadium

It's laughable really when the so called experts don't even discuss it.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/omicron-variant-covid-sage-scientists-new-strain-emerged-1338256

Nowt new there then. They didn't take it seriously at the start with Bojo not even bothering to attend the first meetings.

They also had many meetings prior to the pandemic to discuss their response should one ever become a reality, which of course it did. All the recommendations on preparedness from the relevant experts were totally ignored.

I read tonight that scientists think the new variant is spreading at a current rate of a thousand infections a day, which of course will grow exponentially. We can only hope it doesn't turn out as bad as feared, but if it does, we won't be ready for it.

This government is pathetic. The worst set of politicians this country has ever had.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 134
Maringer
December 10, 2021, 6:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
New UKHSA data about Omicron out. Here's a rundown:

Tweet 1469350830864322560 will appear here...

TLDR. We're copulated. At this trajectory, they are estimating a million cases as day by Christmas.Double vaccination with AZ offers basically zero protection against infection. Hopefully, will hold up well enough against serious disease, however. Very preliminary data seems to indicate that 2xAZ followed by a Pfizer booster offers up to 75% protection against infection. Same goes for 3xPfizer. Hopefully, these figures are an accurate estimate and the booster programme can do enough to avert catastrophe. On a personal level, I hope 2xAZ followed by Moderna boost does the trick as well!

If we're not in lockdown before Christmas, I'll be staggered. excrement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 134
Humbercod
December 10, 2021, 7:22pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
New UKHSA data about Omicron out. Here's a rundown:

Tweet 1469350830864322560 will appear here...

TLDR. We're copulated. At this trajectory, they are estimating a million cases as day by Christmas.Double vaccination with AZ offers basically zero protection against infection. Hopefully, will hold up well enough against serious disease, however. Very preliminary data seems to indicate that 2xAZ followed by a Pfizer booster offers up to 75% protection against infection. Same goes for 3xPfizer. Hopefully, these figures are an accurate estimate and the booster programme can do enough to avert catastrophe. On a personal level, I hope 2xAZ followed by Moderna boost does the trick as well!

If we're not in lockdown before Christmas, I'll be staggered. excrement.

Award for overreacting bed wetter of the year goes to Maringer 👏
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 134
aldi_01
January 7, 2022, 6:12am

Barley Wine Drinker
We were never going in to lockdown, regardless of your views of covid or how risk averse you are. The reasons for not going in to lockdown range from being a government without a clue, to the strain not being as dangerous as first thought to economic reasons and many more I suspect.

I’ve just taken a role at a new school, they’ve been quite tight on restrictions etc compared to my previous school but to a person, everyone is just fed up. Everyone knows it’s not going away but people are sick to death of alleged restrictions..

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 134
14 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Covid Passports/Certification

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.