November 30, 2021, 8:15am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,658
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Humbercod

Something wrong with you they Go all the way up to November 2021

“ Number of deaths from all causes by day, month and year of occurrence, by sex and age group, England and Wales, 1970 to 2020” is literally the title of your first link.

The second link was giving me the same thing last night, possibly something wrong with my laptop but either way apologies. I still question why you bothered putting the first link as your "source" when it shows absolutely nothing of what you're suggesting. I also don't see where those statistics for the age groups are, perhaps you could enlighten me? They give an overall number of deaths and the percentage that this is above or below the 5 year average but the most recent weeks don't even have a breakdown for age groups, let alone associated statistics.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 134
Maringer
November 30, 2021, 10:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,545
Gold Stars: 185
John Campbell has been a useful source of information during the pandemic, but he's really lost the plot regarding Ivermectin. He's not a researcher either, by the way, unless you count reading stuff on the internet and vlogging as being research. (That would make me a researcher for typing this post). Campbell is a former nurse whose PhD is in teaching nursing and, although he's got a decent grasp of most of the medical stuff given his background, he's not so good with the statistical side of things. He's obviously been taken in by the Ivermectin claims which isn't a surprise given he's interviewed the American proponents so many times, but he's got to the stage where he's become such a believer that he's pivoting his arguments when the evidence doesn't back it up. The meta-study which showed it was extremely effective was reliant on a couple of dodgy studies with results too good to be true. Those studies have since been withdrawn (because they were either made up or poorly designed), yet Campbell hasn't changed tack, even going as far as to claim that it is more effective than the new Pfizer drug, which is just nonsense.

He was a bit over-keen on Vitamin D being the answer to all problems as well last year, something which Tim Spector shot down in an interview on his YouTube channel (Spector previously carried out many studies into Vitamin D for other illnesses so knows what he's talking about), but Campbell has carried on with this. Not that extra Vitamin D is a bad thing for the vast majority of people.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 134
Maringer
November 30, 2021, 11:33am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from codcheeky
There does seem to be uncharacteristic worry about this variant from the government who so far have always been behind the curve, hopefully they have learnt that waiting until it’s too late is a disaster
I saw a report in The.Mail which said the vaccine could be 8 times less effective against Omicron and other reports it is a milder strain and could hopefully see the start of the end of the pandemic. Hopefully the latter is the case, either way I believe the scientific evidence is much more clear than is being told to us
The cynic in me is thinking the Government has bought loads of virus doses that may become obsolete soon either way and needs to get them used up before they become ineffective  When our scientists are saying one day that the optimal time for a booster is six months and the next that it is now three months something doesn’t add up.
I am certainly not anti vaccine, my grandmother and two friends have died from COVID and I am grateful to have had my three, but it will be interesting to see if any other country follows this course. There appears to be great political capital in crowing about vaccine rollouts but in terms of deaths we have performed barring Russia the worst in all Europe even though it is still being spun as a great success.  
When one of our chief scientists starts talking in football analogies like we are all kids and don’t understand simple science it shows what those at the top think about the intelligence of the population
I would like to think that if a new strain as  potentially dangerous as omicron was discovered here first it would be reported straight away, however the way South Africa has been cut off for doing the right thing makes me wonder, either way recent history has shown once it’s out there dominant strains take over and this looks like it will be the case with Omicron, let’s hope that it’s not so deadly or can be contained better.

Omicron is a descendant of Beta which we know a lot about. Do you know that AZ are already trialling a vaccine which targets the Beta variant, for example, and have been for months? Might actually be more effective than the others against Omicron. I suspect the other vaccine producers have been working on them as well. Omicron has the same mutations as Beta which make the current vaccines much less effective, similar mutations to the ones which make Delta greatly more transmissible than earlier variants and a couple of others which have been modelled (before they came into existence) to potentially make it easier for Covid to enter our cells. This is why the scientists are thinking Omicron is likely to be a Very Bad Thing. With a bit of luck, the illness caused by Omicron won't be any more serious than previous variants - although worth remembering that Alpha and Delta cause severe disease more often than the original virus out of Wuhan. We just don't know yet, however, and won't do for some weeks so being extra cautious seems a good idea. The claims of the potential for milder illness came from an interview with a South African doctor who said the cases she'd seen had been mild in younger people (as they generally are) but it wasn't yet certain how serious it would be in cases among the elderly and more vulnerable. The bit about uncertainty with those more at risk seems to have been ignored by the breathless reporting of the right-wing press. The Daily Mail said Omicron might be a 'Christmas gift', FFS. The idea that viruses evolve to become less deadly seems to have become accepted as fact, but tell that to smallpox which killed millions for centuries until we managed to eradicate it (through VACCINATION!) or Measles which still kills and maims children around the world to this day. More likely is that the evolutionary pressure from new pathogens which don't kill quickly such as Covid-19 lies on us. If you're genetically susceptible, you die, or suffer long-term health issues which make you die earlier. As do your children. Those who aren't as susceptible generally survive unscathed. That's evolution in action. No reason to expect that this should be any different with Covid-19 but we now have the understanding and technology to ensure that those susceptible hopefully don't die and neither do their children. Of course, the problem at present is we don't know why some younger people of more susceptible than others. Will probably know in a year or two, but hopefully we'll have the vaccines and treatments available by then to mean those at risk aren't selected out of existence.

The reason we've done badly during the pandemic is the pathetic governance of our country who have locked down too late on 3 occasions despite the advice from their scientists. Unless Omicron or a future nasty variant is really, really bad, I don't expect we'll be seeing further lockdowns, but we shouldn't be thinking we're out of the woods yet. The Herd Immunity by infection crowd who have been bragging about how clever we've been to let millions be infected since July will look a bit daft if Omicron can avoid most of the immune response generated by those Delta infections and still cause serious health problems. This is possible if not probable from what we know of the virus, but we'll know for sure in a month or two.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 134
lew chaterleys lover
November 30, 2021, 1:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,724
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Maringer

Omicron is a descendant of Beta which we know a lot about. Do you know that AZ are already trialling a vaccine which targets the Beta variant, for example, and have been for months? Might actually be more effective than the others against Omicron. I suspect the other vaccine producers have been working on them as well. Omicron has the same mutations as Beta which make the current vaccines much less effective, similar mutations to the ones which make Delta greatly more transmissible than earlier variants and a couple of others which have been modelled (before they came into existence) to potentially make it easier for Covid to enter our cells. This is why the scientists are thinking Omicron is likely to be a Very Bad Thing. With a bit of luck, the illness caused by Omicron won't be any more serious than previous variants - although worth remembering that Alpha and Delta cause severe disease more often than the original virus out of Wuhan. We just don't know yet, however, and won't do for some weeks so being extra cautious seems a good idea. The claims of the potential for milder illness came from an interview with a South African doctor who said the cases she'd seen had been mild in younger people (as they generally are) but it wasn't yet certain how serious it would be in cases among the elderly and more vulnerable. The bit about uncertainty with those more at risk seems to have been ignored by the breathless reporting of the right-wing press. The Daily Mail said Omicron might be a 'Christmas gift', FFS. The idea that viruses evolve to become less deadly seems to have become accepted as fact, but tell that to smallpox which killed millions for centuries until we managed to eradicate it (through VACCINATION!) or Measles which still kills and maims children around the world to this day. More likely is that the evolutionary pressure from new pathogens which don't kill quickly such as Covid-19 lies on us. If you're genetically susceptible, you die, or suffer long-term health issues which make you die earlier. As do your children. Those who aren't as susceptible generally survive unscathed. That's evolution in action. No reason to expect that this should be any different with Covid-19 but we now have the understanding and technology to ensure that those susceptible hopefully don't die and neither do their children. Of course, the problem at present is we don't know why some younger people of more susceptible than others. Will probably know in a year or two, but hopefully we'll have the vaccines and treatments available by then to mean those at risk aren't selected out of existence.

The reason we've done badly during the pandemic is the pathetic governance of our country who have locked down too late on 3 occasions despite the advice from their scientists. Unless Omicron or a future nasty variant is really, really bad, I don't expect we'll be seeing further lockdowns, but we shouldn't be thinking we're out of the woods yet. The Herd Immunity by infection crowd who have been bragging about how clever we've been to let millions be infected since July will look a bit daft if Omicron can avoid most of the immune response generated by those Delta infections and still cause serious health problems. This is possible if not probable from what we know of the virus, but we'll know for sure in a month or two.

I don't think it is useful to keep saying the UK has done badly. Have you seen what is happening on the continent? At various points during the pandemic different countries have been lauded for their reaction to it and the measures taken, only to come unstuck further down the line. Of course, every single thing in every single situation could have been handled better by every single country, but it is just not realistic is it?

Private Message
Reply: 113 - 134
codcheeky
November 30, 2021, 1:37pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31

I don't think it is useful to keep saying the UK has done badly. Have you seen what is happening on the continent? At various points during the pandemic different countries have been lauded for their reaction to it and the measures taken, only to come unstuck further down the line. Of course, every single thing in every single situation could have been handled better by every single country, but it is just not realistic is it?

Unfortunately the death toll figures are the real test and although not over yet this country has a very poor record. Mainly through their initial herd immunity plan and discharging people from hospital to care homes without testing them. You are right that most countries could have done much better, let’s hope both they and us learn the lessons of our mistakes.  I am not saying these decisions are easy but allowing it into care homes unchecked was a disaster
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 134
Maringer
November 30, 2021, 2:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Germany, for example, has a larger and older population than us along with land borders with 9 or 10 other countries (and tens of thousands of workers commuting across those borders). The fact they they've got a much lower death rate than us to date in spite of the fact that they haven't vaccinated anywhere near as many of their older population (anti-vaxx sentiment stronger over there), shows just how much more effective their policies have been. FFP2 mask mandates on public transport and in shops, for example. Oh, and they fund their health service properly as well so have a lot more ICU beds and healthcare workers. Mostly, however, it is the public health things that they've done properly and we haven't. Remember, this government has ignored the scientific advice for earlier lockdowns or mitigations time after time before eventually going ahead with them long after case rates have exploded.

The first part of our vaccine rollout was done excellently well, the refusal to vaccinate teens when all our peers were doing it was absolutely baffling, the rollout in teens has since been pathetic, we're no nearer vaccinating the over 5s, unlike many countries and we're allowing rapid spread in schools with no mitigations in place. As I've mentioned many a time, the NHS is on its knees dealing with the case rates since July and, if Omicron is potentially as bad as thought, it could be the straw that broke the camel's back. The only hope is that this high past infection rate since the summer will slow down the spread and risks other variants such as Omicron, but that's just a hope, despite the fact that Javid was bragging in parliament about how other European countries envied us! 15,000 dead in the UK since 'Freedom Day' in July and winter is only just beginning...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 134
Humbercod
November 30, 2021, 4:44pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,488
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Maringer
John Campbell has been a useful source of information during the pandemic, but he's really lost the plot regarding Ivermectin. He's not a researcher either, by the way, unless you count reading stuff on the internet and vlogging as being research. (That would make me a researcher for typing this post). Campbell is a former nurse whose PhD is in teaching nursing and, although he's got a decent grasp of most of the medical stuff given his background, he's not so good with the statistical side of things. He's obviously been taken in by the Ivermectin claims which isn't a surprise given he's interviewed the American proponents so many times, but he's got to the stage where he's become such a believer that he's pivoting his arguments when the evidence doesn't back it up. The meta-study which showed it was extremely effective was reliant on a couple of dodgy studies with results too good to be true. Those studies have since been withdrawn (because they were either made up or poorly designed), yet Campbell hasn't changed tack, even going as far as to claim that it is more effective than the new Pfizer drug, which is just nonsense.

He was a bit over-keen on Vitamin D being the answer to all problems as well last year, something which Tim Spector shot down in an interview on his YouTube channel (Spector previously carried out many studies into Vitamin D for other illnesses so knows what he's talking about), but Campbell has carried on with this. Not that extra Vitamin D is a bad thing for the vast majority of people.

John Campbell only a useful source when you agree with him🙄

As for ivermectin we have clinical data from many randomised control trials (gold standard for clinical trials) and 7 meta analysis (platinum standard) which prove ivermectin is a highly effective treatment.

All trials have shown very positive results drastically reducing mortality, hospitalisation and the viral load. And it’s also a very potent preventative treatment which is why I take it . But if you’re still in denial links to all the studies can be found on the following websites run by medical Experts….  FLCCC - https://covid19criticalcare.com/
and the World council for health -  https://worldcouncilforhealth.org/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 134
DB
November 30, 2021, 5:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,022
Gold Stars: 386
Is there a death rate figure for only 'covid' on the death certificate or are all deaths with covid added as a possible other reason( person dies of heart disease) included in covid deaths.?

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 134
Maringer
November 30, 2021, 7:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
If a person dies of a heart attack because they catch Covid, does it really matter? Or if they die of a stroke because they catch Covid, for that matter? Medical issues are only mentioned on the death certificate if they are considered a major contributory factor in the death. The whole fake narrative that people aren't really dying of Covid but doctors are using it as a catch all is just nonsense, as the excess mortality figures show.

Oddly enough, the thousands of non-Covid deaths caused by an overwhelmed health care system (due to Covid) aren't counted as Covid deaths, either. Still deaths, which would be avoidable if we'd kept the pandemic under control more in the UK (oh, and funded the NHS well enough).

Tweet 1462069522752581633 will appear here...

The waiting list for treatment is now up to 6 million thanks to Covid, and rising because the government didn't try to keep transmission under control. Unfortunately, there will be a lot of deaths from cancer in coming years because the patients weren't able to get diagnosis or treatment quickly enough. They won't count as Covid deaths, either.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 134
Stadium
November 30, 2021, 8:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from codcheeky

We have had pretty much the same here in Greece for over a week now, you cannot go into any shop, bar, restaurant or cafe or indoor event without proof of double vaccination, the only exceptions being the supermarket and chemist were face masks are compulsory.
The fine for any shop found to have broken this rule is 5,000 euros for a first offence, there is pretty much 100% compliance, many Brits are not allowed in places because the scanners do not recognise the NHS app and owners would rather turn them away than take a risk.
Around 40 deaths a day here was too many and people demanded drastic action, there is certainly a cultural difference when it comes to looking after old people here, we have over 200 die in a day in the U.K. and it struggles to make the news, the U.K. for the most part has become immune to the shock of so many dying, tired of or lazy about wearing masks and social distancing . If these measures are a success I expect they will become a template for much of Europe

Well once again the measures fell short.
Pay up oldies !!!
Disgrace.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59474808

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 134
14 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Covid Passports/Certification

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.