Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Should PH be given next season to rebuild?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 176 Guests

Should Hurst be given next season to rebuild?
Yes
No
  View Results 197 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Should PH be given next season to rebuild?

This thread currently has 19,758 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
March 7, 2021, 9:15pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Changing the whole side mid-season didn't work, though he definitely brought some better players in. We had a virtually new team against sides who are well-oiled machines at this time of year. Had we started with this squad we'd have been more competitive as we'd be gelling at the same time as everyone else.

Blame Holloway, not Hurst.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 40 - 100
arryarryarry
March 7, 2021, 10:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,044
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from GrimRob
Changing the whole side mid-season didn't work, though he definitely brought some better players in. We had a virtually new team against sides who are well-oiled machines at this time of year. Had we started with this squad we'd have been more competitive as we'd be gelling at the same time as everyone else.

Scunthorpe, Southend, Stevenage, Port Vale, Leyton Orient well oiled machines, really?
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 100
ginnywings
March 8, 2021, 12:02am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,126
Gold Stars: 548
Newell's team was well oiled.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 100
DB
March 8, 2021, 3:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.48
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,002
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from GrimRob

The Blame this season will always rest with Holloway and Fenty. However current results are down to Hurst. A preseason is say 6 weeks and we still haven't got a settled side, nor one that looks like winning anything. He's had 10 weeks and 10 games and nothing has improved. I'm fed up with excuses that don't hold water, Hurst has 15 games to save the season and needs to win half of them.

As positive as I am and an eternal optimist with my half full glass I can't see Hurst doing it.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 100
darren9
March 8, 2021, 7:37am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +607
Gold Stars: 39
For me he stays and I’m basing this on the takeover going ahead successfully.

With new owners there will come a period of change at the club, there has to be because we’re so far behind our competitors in every way on and off the field. Hurst knows exactly what the club is like and what it doesn’t have (proper coaching staff) and what it does have (portacabins) and therefore what it needs. Hurst is the football man who can direct the new owners where the priorities are.

With reference to his performance this season we can all agree that it’s been a disappointment but there are mitigating circumstances. The team he inherited plainly were not good enough either in footballing ability or character. You can point to Holloway’s points per game tally but do we honestly believe he would have stopped the slide if he’d remained? He was becoming increasingly erratic in his personality and showed no signs of being able to stop the decent.
Hurst has brought in almost a whole new side but has done so with his hands somewhat tied behind his back. The January window isn’t like the summer one, there are less players available and there’s less talent out there. He’s had to get cheap players in, work within the salary cap and actually get people who want to play for Grimsby even though we look like going out the football league. That is not an easy task and is reflected in the business we’ve been able to do.

Hurst deserves the chance to get us back because he did it before and for being brave enough to come back.
I won’t blame him when we go down and I’ll back him next season.

Twitter: @DarrenLeeNewman
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 100
monkeyboy
March 8, 2021, 8:44am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
What ever happens the manager looks like he will have a squad of 50 already raring to go lol.

How many can we pay off if we go down? can we afford to? can we afford to sign new players?  sounds expensive.

Im for keeping Hurst btw.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 100
Tommy
March 8, 2021, 8:55am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
I'm really surprised at the number of people who don't want to apportion any blame whatsoever to Hurst if we go down. Some good posters who I usually agree with everything they say included in that too.

If Holloway was such a bad manager, how come he was managing to at least pick up a few points, and wins, with his team before he left. Why couldn't Hurst do at least as well as Holloway with the squad he took over? He did worse with it than Holloway. Holloway did win a game (Scunny at home) shortly before he left too so whilst not in spectacular form, it's not like we were on a big winless run like we are now.

Now he's brought his own team in, things still haven't improved. They've actually got worse. If he makes it to the end of the season he'll have had 25 games save us, having not even been in the bottom 2 when he took over.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 100
cannylad68
March 8, 2021, 9:08am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
I don't get this argument about Hurst having to bring in a completely new team.
There were a few of the squad worth keeping.
I don't see any of the 2 left backs he has signed being any better than Danny Preston, and now he has returned to his parent club.

If I knew how to get in touch with Jamie Pollock, I would advise him to find another club for Mattie.
Mattie is obviously not in Paul Hurst's plans, as are none of the younger players.
How supporters can think that Paul Hurst has changed since last being here is beyond me.

People ask who could we get as a new manager. If Ian Holloway was available, having not been here before, we supporters would welcome him with open arms, (if you get what I mean).
Whilst I realise that he won't come, I would love to see Adkins here, if only for his upbeat interviews, always backing the players and the supporters. A refreshing change.

Please don't keep Paul Hurst for next season.

It is going to need a miracle to get us back into the football league.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 100
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 8, 2021, 9:23am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
It appears since Hurst returned we’ve witnessed all of his bad traits rising to the fore but not had that conflicting feeling as games are won with small margins. Without victories a pragmatic and dour Hurst will never ever feel like the right appointment for a serious number of supporters.

I thought Holloway would use January to improve the team sufficiently to see us survive ok but he chose the easy option and legged it but I also thought Hurst would see us safe but bored, however, that seemed a price worth paying.

Personally I would not want him to stay if we go down but as I’ve said previously I can’t ever pick the right guy to manage us as we seem to be the only club in the country that, season after season, go on lengthy runs where we are totally incapable of winning matches.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 100
ginnywings
March 8, 2021, 9:51am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,126
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from cannylad68
I don't get this argument about Hurst having to bring in a completely new team.
There were a few of the squad worth keeping.
I don't see any of the 2 left backs he has signed being any better than Danny Preston, and now he has returned to his parent club.

If I knew how to get in touch with Jamie Pollock, I would advise him to find another club for Mattie.
Mattie is obviously not in Paul Hurst's plans, as are none of the younger players.
How supporters can think that Paul Hurst has changed since last being here is beyond me.

People ask who could we get as a new manager. If Ian Holloway was available, having not been here before, we supporters would welcome him with open arms, (if you get what I mean).
Whilst I realise that he won't come, I would love to see Adkins here, if only for his upbeat interviews, always backing the players and the supporters. A refreshing change.

Please don't keep Paul Hurst for next season.

It is going to need a miracle to get us back into the football league.

Changed in what way?

I don't think anyone was expecting any change.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 100
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Should PH be given next season to rebuild?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.