Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Should PH be given next season to rebuild?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 160 Guests

Should Hurst be given next season to rebuild?
Yes
No
  View Results 197 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Should PH be given next season to rebuild?

This thread currently has 19,563 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
arryarryarry
March 8, 2021, 2:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Chrisblor

You've stripped the 'rebuild' of any context. It:

- took place entirely within the mid-season transfer window where the only players available are free agents, out of form and young unproven loanees, or decent payers we'd have to pay a fee for
- required Hurst to immediately assess the squad and make decisions on who to keep and who to try to get replacements in for as he was only appointed 2 days before the window opened
- doesn't account for the fact we started January in place 94 of 96 in the league pyramid, sat 3 points above the relegation places, have excrement training facilities, were undergoing boardroom turmoil and had a reputation for stingy 'covid contracts', so hardly formed an attractive proposition for potential new signings

I'd like to see any manager perform a 'rebuild' in those circumstances and it's why i'm willing to give Hurst the benefit of the doubt for a bit longer. He's not done a great job since coming in, but 90% of our plight is due to long, medium and short-term incompetence by Fenty and the board.

1) The transfer window hasn't seemed to worry Stevenage, Southend and Barrow who are performing better than we are.

2) What has the "excrement" training facilities got to do with where we are, they are the same facilities we have had for years yet we have never been adrift at the bottom of the League before.

3) "boardroom turmoil" I thought that when Hurst was brought in the current board had the backing of prospective new owners. If you ask most players they usually say that boardroom problems and even when managers are replaced they usually just get on with focusing on their play or perhaps you haven't heard of the "new manager bounce".

4) I may be wrong but I thought PH had mentioned in an interview that we were no longer offering "covid" contracts.

The simple fact is that no matter how crap the players were that Holloway signed we are now in a much worse position with Hurst in charge, whether that is to do with his players being worse or the way he runs the team.

The only way I would want PH to stay is if we don't get relegated.
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 100
DB
March 8, 2021, 6:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.54
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,879
Gold Stars: 383
Quoted from 123614
That's 50/50 based on 160 voters.  

It was 60/40 out on 100 votes.     It's a bit like old time politics when they stretchered MP's into the commons to vote !

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 100
DB
March 8, 2021, 6:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Hurst played 10 lost 8 = 80% defeats

How many games does have to loose to convince his supporters he's a has been

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 100
grimsby pete
March 8, 2021, 6:15pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from DB
Hurst played 10 lost 8 = 80% defeats

How many games does have to loose to convince his supporters he's a has been

Liverpool last six home league games = six home defeats.

Is Klopp yesterday's man as well DB. ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 100
DB
March 8, 2021, 6:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

Liverpool last six home league games = six home defeats.

Is Klopp yesterday's man as well DB. ?

Played 10 lost 6= 60% loss, better than Hurst, and I don't believe he brought in 10 players in the transfer window. They also scored 12 goals in those games and we took 19 games to score 12 goals. In Hursts 10 games we scored 5 goals.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 100
Yoda
March 8, 2021, 9:09pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +4 / -20
Approval: -2,949
Gold Stars: 65
If 60% of fans don’t renew their season tickets if he’s still here
he will have no funds.

If he keeps us up he stays

if we drop he goes.

It’s as simple as that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 100
TAGG
March 8, 2021, 9:22pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Gold Stars: 121
This is just the same thing as with Fenty.
Time after time he made intercourse up after intercourse up but people still supported him, thinking he's the man.
Hurst took 6 years game after boring game to get us out of the league, comes back builds a nailed on relegation team that can't win a game and still people think he's the man.

FFS the Fenty syndrome

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 100
Swansea_Mariner
March 8, 2021, 10:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
Gold Stars: 62
It's not really the same thing though is it, Fenty has had free reign to do what he pleases. Managers, Hurst included operate within the framework set by the board.

No managers have managed to garner any level of success within the parameters set by Fenty, with the exception, to a degree of Hurst.

I don't dispute he's made a poor fist of it this time around, but I honestly think anyone would have found it a slog. BTW I wanted Alexander, but didn't think Hurst was a terrible choice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 100
WesternMariner
March 8, 2021, 10:58pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +876
Gold Stars: 34
I’m not a great fan of Hursts style of football. I cut my teeth on Sir Alan and a bit before that watching teams with Drinkell, Ford, Batch, Waters et al - for those on here who don’t remember they’re why we had a reputation for playing the game the right way.

However - those who want to move him on and who say we’re making the same mistake as we did with Fenty ( ie not getting rid when things have gone wrong) haven’t learnt the same lesson that Fenty failed to learn himself. Continuity wins football matches. Chopping and changing eventually lands you in the excrement. Where might we be now if Fenty had sprung a few bob on a conditioning coach and kept the core of the promotion side together under Hurst?

Where has Fentys never ending search for the management messiah got us over the last 15 years? We’ve had more false dawns and second comings than the Moonies. Quite a few of us thought we’d hit the jackpot with Hollowords - he clearly wasn’t the Messiah, he was in fact a very naughty boy.

Hurst might never be AB or Lawrie Mac but one attribute that he shares with them is that he knows how to build a team who’ll play for the shirt, each other and for him, he won’t sign shysters and journeymen and he’ll bring us stability given the chance.

I’d give my right bollock at the moment for a guaranteed miracle - don’t get me wrong. However failing that I’d settle for a gaffer who doesn’t talk out of his backside and who builds a team. The grass isn’t always greener and sometimes it wears a funny hat and plays darts.

All men are equal before fish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 100
arryarryarry
March 8, 2021, 11:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
It's not really the same thing though is it, Fenty has had free reign to do what he pleases. Managers, Hurst included operate within the framework set by the board.

No managers have managed to garner any level of success within the parameters set by Fenty, with the exception, to a degree of Hurst.

I don't dispute he's made a poor fist of it this time around, but I honestly think anyone would have found it a slog. BTW I wanted Alexander, but didn't think Hurst was a terrible choice.

Surely all managers work under a framework set out by the board?
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 100
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Should PH be given next season to rebuild?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.