Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Should PH be given next season to rebuild?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 306 Guests

Should Hurst be given next season to rebuild?
Yes
No
  View Results 197 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Should PH be given next season to rebuild?

This thread currently has 19,726 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
DB
March 8, 2021, 11:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,996
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
It's not really the same thing though is it, Fenty has had free reign to do what he pleases. Managers, Hurst included operate within the framework set by the board.

No managers have managed to garner any level of success within the parameters set by Fenty, with the exception, to a degree of Hurst.

I don't dispute he's made a poor fist of it this time around, but I honestly think anyone would have found it a slog. BTW I wanted Alexander, but didn't think Hurst was a terrible choice.

Under normal circumstances you are correct. For the last 10 games Hurst is responsible to nobody. JF has cheque for £2.5 million waiting to be sign, the consortium don't own the club therefore Hurst is a loose cannon that keeps backfiring.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 100
DB
March 9, 2021, 12:01am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from WesternMariner
I’m not a great fan of Hursts style of football. I cut my teeth on Sir Alan and a bit before that watching teams with Drinkell, Ford, Batch, Waters et al - for those on here who don’t remember they’re why we had a reputation for playing the game the right way.

However - those who want to move him on and who say we’re making the same mistake as we did with Fenty ( ie not getting rid when things have gone wrong) haven’t learnt the same lesson that Fenty failed to learn himself. Continuity wins football matches. Chopping and changing eventually lands you in the excrement. Where might we be now if Fenty had sprung a few bob on a conditioning coach and kept the core of the promotion side together under Hurst?

Where has Fentys never ending search for the management messiah got us over the last 15 years? We’ve had more false dawns and second comings than the Moonies. Quite a few of us thought we’d hit the jackpot with Hollowords - he clearly wasn’t the Messiah, he was in fact a very naughty boy.

Hurst might never be AB or Lawrie Mac but one attribute that he shares with them is that he knows how to build a team who’ll play for the shirt, each other and for him, he won’t sign shysters and journeymen and he’ll bring us stability given the chance.
I’d give my right bollock at the moment for a guaranteed miracle - don’t get me wrong. However failing that I’d settle for a gaffer who doesn’t talk out of his backside and who builds a team. The grass isn’t always greener and sometimes it wears a funny hat and plays darts.

So how would you describe this team he has formed

The GT quote him as saying about the Carlisle game

“The intensity they play at, the energy levels, and we’ve got to try our best to at least match that."

So according to him his players have no intensity or energy levels, not exactly a motivation talk before you get on the bus to Carlisle.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 100
Tommy
March 9, 2021, 12:25am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from DB

So how would you describe this team he has formed

The GT quote him as saying about the Carlisle game

“The intensity they play at, the energy levels, and we’ve got to try our best to at least match that."

So according to him his players have no intensity or energy levels, not exactly a motivation talk before you get on the bus to Carlisle.

I'm quite critical of Hurst at present, but how you've translated what he actually said, to what you think he means, is quite something.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 100
ginnywings
March 9, 2021, 12:31am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Tommy

I'm quite critical of Hurst at present, but how you've translated what he actually said, to what you think he means, is quite something.

It's a special gift he has.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 100
WOZOFGRIMSBY
March 9, 2021, 12:43am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
His appointment this time round has been an absolute failure. Watching the FGR game was very hard going at times as it’s apparent there is a total lack of confidence in the team and no signs of leadership anywhere to be seen. Strikers that are goal shy, a central midfield that can’t win the ball and a lack of skill and/or pace out wide. The fact is that we’ve sunk quicker than an Italian ferry and with a total lack of fight or care

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 100
DB
March 9, 2021, 12:44am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Tommy

Read the full story and see what you think.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 100
DB
March 9, 2021, 12:46am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
His appointment this time round has been an absolute failure. Watching the FGR game was very hard going at times as it’s apparent there is a total lack of confidence in the team and no signs of leadership anywhere to be seen. Strikers that are goal shy, a central midfield that can’t win the ball and a lack of skill and/or pace out wide. The fact is that we’ve sunk quicker than an Italian ferry and with a total lack of fight or care

I've said this for ages. No leadership in the boardroom, from the management and on the pitch. Nobody responsible and nobody cares a sh!te.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 100
DB
March 9, 2021, 12:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

It's a special gift he has.

Only one of my many talents Ginny, liked your campervan post.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 100
Swansea_Mariner
March 9, 2021, 7:16am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from arryarryarry

Surely all managers work under a framework set out by the board?

Exactomundo, that's why all of ours in the last two decades almost always fail.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 100
cannylad68
March 9, 2021, 7:28am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
It's obvious nothing is going to change before the end of the season.

At that point in time, we may have a clearer view to move forward.

Perhaps the takeover will have been completed.

If Paul Hurst was to lose every game until then, would the fan's views change, or will he be a saviour?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 100
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Should PH be given next season to rebuild?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.