Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Should PH be given next season to rebuild?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 288 Guests

Should Hurst be given next season to rebuild?
Yes
No
  View Results 197 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Should PH be given next season to rebuild?

This thread currently has 19,723 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
TheultimateMariner
March 8, 2021, 11:25am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +429
Gold Stars: 5
Most likely an unpopular opinion, however I believe we should give him the one season to rebuild (As most of our current squad are out of contract). So it will be like a clean slate. I think you have to be careful what you wish for in the National League, as we are able to see, there's a lot of teams that are stuck down there, Chesterfield (Who seem to now have the right formula), Barnet, Yeovil and Wrexham have all chopped and changed their managers and have been stuck down there, with Barnet looking as though they would be relegated, had there been relegation from the National league, and Chesterfield for the last couple of seasons have been flirting with relegation. Like I say, an unpopular opinion, but we don't want to see ourselves in the National League North.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 100
RonMariner
March 8, 2021, 11:26am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,633
Gold Stars: 226
Things were grim when he arrived, but I thought he would keep us up because we were not even in the bottom two, and he was going to bring in several players to bolster the squad.

Well, he brought in 11 or 12 players. And our results are worse than under Holloway.

He did not cause the problems, but now has to accept some portion of the blame. We should be doing better than being 5 points adrift at the bottom.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 100
ginnywings
March 8, 2021, 11:39am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
I don't know anymore. To be honest I'm sick to death of discussing it and hope that we just chuck money at it and do a Crawley/Fleetwood/Luton/Lincoln and storm the league from the start.

Or we get our act together and save our skins, so we don't have to find out. Still almost a third of the season left yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 100
Tommy
March 8, 2021, 11:40am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from TheultimateMariner
Most likely an unpopular opinion, however I believe we should give him the one season to rebuild (As most of our current squad are out of contract). So it will be like a clean slate. I think you have to be careful what you wish for in the National League, as we are able to see, there's a lot of teams that are stuck down there, Chesterfield (Who seem to now have the right formula), Barnet, Yeovil and Wrexham have all chopped and changed their managers and have been stuck down there, with Barnet looking as though they would be relegated, had there been relegation from the National league, and Chesterfield for the last couple of seasons have been flirting with relegation. Like I say, an unpopular opinion, but we don't want to see ourselves in the National League North.

Abslutely right that we don't want to end up like Wrexham and clubs that get stuck down there. (I personally thought 6 years felt like an eternity last time we were there)

But we've got to remember there are clubs who bounce straight back up after dropping down to the conference. It can be done. Other teams make excuses about adapting to the level and needing time to gel...blah blah blah etc. But it can be done. So those don't wash with me.

Bristol Rovers and Cheltenham both bounced straight back up at the 1st attempt. Barnet and Leyton Orient were promoted as champions in their 2nd season down there.

Much like our ambition as a club under the current/outgoing board shouldn't have been just to avoid becoming a Bury, our ambition if we go down shouldn't just be to avoid becoming a Wrexham.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 100
Chrisblor
March 8, 2021, 12:20pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,772
Gold Stars: 233
I'm reluctant to get rid of Hurst because I'm entirely unconvinced we'd replace him with anyone who'd be better. Maybe this position is somewhat influenced by Fenty and co's abject track record for managerial appointments, and under new ownership we might have a better chance of appointing someone who could quickly assemble a formidable side, but I dunno I'm still not convinced we'll find anyone better than Hurst.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 100
Swansea_Mariner
March 8, 2021, 12:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from TheultimateMariner

I don't think it is that unpopular the poll it split down the middle. For what its worth I think that if we stick with Hurst whatever has happened on the pitch this season is immaterial, because my guess is he will sweep out the vast majority of these 40+ players we've got whether he signed them or not.

The advantage Hust has is that he does know the National League level in great depth and yes I think I would trust him to build an effective squad at that level if given a full close season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 100
arryarryarry
March 8, 2021, 12:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 116
He has just about rebuilt a whole team and taken us to a far worse position than we were when he started so a big NO from me.
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 100
arryarryarry
March 8, 2021, 12:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
If we go down with a huge points deficit from the 3rd from bottom team I would hope he had the decency to resign.
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 100
arryarryarry
March 8, 2021, 12:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

I don't think it is that unpopular the poll it split down the middle. For what its worth I think that if we stick with Hurst whatever has happened on the pitch this season is immaterial, because my guess is he will sweep out the vast majority of these 40+ players we've got whether he signed them or not.

The advantage Hust has is that he does know the National League level in great depth and yes I think I would trust him to build an effective squad at that level if given a full close season.

He left the National League nearly 5 years ago.
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 100
Chrisblor
March 8, 2021, 1:07pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,772
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from arryarryarry
He has just about rebuilt a whole team and taken us to a far worse position than we were when he started so a big NO from me.

You've stripped the 'rebuild' of any context. It:

- took place entirely within the mid-season transfer window where the only players available are free agents, out of form and young unproven loanees, or decent payers we'd have to pay a fee for
- required Hurst to immediately assess the squad and make decisions on who to keep and who to try to get replacements in for as he was only appointed 2 days before the window opened
- doesn't account for the fact we started January in place 94 of 96 in the league pyramid, sat 3 points above the relegation places, have excrement training facilities, were undergoing boardroom turmoil and had a reputation for stingy 'covid contracts', so hardly formed an attractive proposition for potential new signings

I'd like to see any manager perform a 'rebuild' in those circumstances and it's why i'm willing to give Hurst the benefit of the doubt for a bit longer. He's not done a great job since coming in, but 90% of our plight is due to long, medium and short-term incompetence by Fenty and the board.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 100
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Should PH be given next season to rebuild?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.