Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Should PH be given next season to rebuild?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 272 Guests

Should Hurst be given next season to rebuild?
Yes
No
  View Results 197 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Should PH be given next season to rebuild?

This thread currently has 19,712 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
cannylad68
March 8, 2021, 9:57am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
It would be only natural to think that there would be some improvement after being with 3 other clubs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 100
buckstown
March 8, 2021, 9:57am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,171
Gold Stars: 79
When people quite rightly say it took 6 years to escape the conference they forget who was in charge of the club.
Every other manager under JF has been appalling and in his defence Hursts record was good. Maybe with a different figurehead we would have been out a lot faster
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 100
Son of Cod
March 8, 2021, 10:02am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from buckstown
When people quite rightly say it took 6 years to escape the conference they forget who was in charge of the club.
Every other manager under JF has been appalling and in his defence Hursts record was good. Maybe with a different figurehead we would have been out a lot faster

The thing that always irks me about this 6 years argument is that we never once had the top budget in the division and there's only one automatic spot. Whether or not you like Hurst or not, he delivered what was expected in terms of league finishes once he was in sole charge.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 100
devs
March 8, 2021, 10:05am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 30
I think the current vote (when I posted this) says it all - 50/50!
On balance I am a big PH fan - but have to say we have had no new manager bounce at all: From 10 games I would have expected something like W3 D3 L4... new players, new ideas, fresh voice, planning, shape etc etc
It has not happened - and we are still creating virtually nothing; we do not work the keeper; little in the way of attacking threat
A statement about a very poor squad inherited and no cash to get in 2/3 good players (but who sells good players? Oh yeah - we do (Amond)

Will it click in 2/3 games' time? Has PH lost his touch? Is it beyond hope?

So, stick with him? I am not certain any more

Therefore when new owners 'finally' come in is it best to have a clean sweep top to bottom?
If we do then I also believe Dave Moore, Ben Davies should go - perhaps harsh but why mess around?
Just start from fresh - a totally new regime untainted by past failures

No guarantees at all - but this feels very different now as it looks bleak in terms of staying up
tried and trusted clearly not working - and I think 10 games is enough to see some sort of change (and more points)

Nothing to lose IMO

It would be very harsh on PH and Doig but a fresh start top to bottom might be the answer

And even as I have written that I only 50/50 believe it - it is not as black and white as many on here would have you believe
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 100
March 8, 2021, 10:18am
Guest User
That's 50/50 based on 160 voters.  
Reply: 54 - 100
denni266
March 8, 2021, 10:31am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +700
Gold Stars: 132
Its amazing how many are still backing Hurst . Its even more amazing how many seem to be happy with his dour brand of football that is not working . I dont know if we will stay up or not but  I for one will not be going next season and paying hard earned cash to watch his brand of football, There is more excitment watching the local blind bowls club winter cup
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 100
psgmariner
March 8, 2021, 10:42am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
I can only think our friends from Scunny and Lincoln are voting yes.

Private Message
Reply: 56 - 100
ginnywings
March 8, 2021, 10:56am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from cannylad68
It would be only natural to think that there would be some improvement after being with 3 other clubs.

I still don't get your point. When he was here last, his win rate was impressive and it's the last time we looked like a proper functioning football team. There surely is nothing to change.

It was dull and boring, I give you that, but the results were there. What he has done in the meantime is neither here nor there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 100
ginnywings
March 8, 2021, 11:06am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from denni266
Its amazing how many are still backing Hurst . Its even more amazing how many seem to be happy with his dour brand of football that is not working . I dont know if we will stay up or not but  I for one will not be going next season and paying hard earned cash to watch his brand of football, There is more excitment watching the local blind bowls club winter cup

I don't think anyone is happy. Some are just not convinced that changing the manager yet again is wise, especially as he's only just been appointed. When do we realise that changing the manager isn't working and every time we do it, we get worse, not better?

Also the tone on here is that anyone defending Hurst is a happy clapping madman and the 50% are in some way mentally deficient or opposing fans. All views should be respected.

I'm no fan of Hurst, but I'm sick of seeing managers come and go. We need some stability.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 100
Tommy
March 8, 2021, 11:09am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from ginnywings

I still don't get your point. When he was here last, his win rate was impressive and it's the last time we looked like a proper functioning football team. There surely is nothing to change.

It was dull and boring, I give you that, but the results were there. What he has done in the meantime is neither here nor there.

I get that we won more than we lost Ginny, but when teams like Newcastle and Villa have dropped from the prem into the championship, they've won more than they lost too. When we drop into the conference we are one of the best resourced clubs and so should be up there in the play offs as long as the manager is competent.

If we go down, I want us to push for the title, and it'll take a manager who can overachieve to do that. I think Hurst is a decent manager but don't believe he is that good a manager that he'll get results above what is expected (in terms of where the budget lies in comparison with the rest of the league). The only time you could argue he did that was by getting Shrewsbury in the playoffs, but from what you read, Shrews fans thought they threw away a grrat chance to go up automatically by playing so cautiously/negatively in the second half of that season.

Personally I'd go for a brave, bold, Barrow-like move and replace him now. But if he keeps us up I'd think he would have earned the right to carry on. Should we go down, lets get someone in who has a winning mentality, not a must-not-lose mentality.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 100
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Should PH be given next season to rebuild?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.