Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Poll Data Not Available with Printable Version
Posted by: davmariner, March 6, 2021, 5:16pm
Darrell Clarke was given a chance at Bristol Rovers to take them back up at the first time of asking. Should we give Hurst a chance to take us back up?

My view is yes. Has his return been good enough so far? No. However, he took over a team in dire straits, heading only in one direct.

The blame for this season should be shouldered by Fenty and Holloway. Yes, Hurst has brought in a new team, but a makeshift one. How do you attract the calibre of players in January to turn this around? Could we have realistically attracted a better option?
Posted by: RonMariner, March 6, 2021, 5:35pm; Reply: 1
He had a chance to rebuild in the January window and look how that is panning out.
Posted by: DB, March 6, 2021, 5:37pm; Reply: 2
Never mid next season, he shouldn't be given next week
Posted by: DocDock, March 6, 2021, 5:37pm; Reply: 3
In two minds about this. It wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing either way, continuity and a fresh start with new ownership isn’t a bad thing, but then he’s been here since late December and if anything, results wise we’ve got worse. I’m probably favouring a complete fresh start at the moment.
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, March 6, 2021, 5:39pm; Reply: 4
I've said no, as I didn't want him and his negative defensive football back in the 1st place
Posted by: RonMariner, March 6, 2021, 5:41pm; Reply: 5
The truth is that since leaving us the first time he has had a couple of good seasons in L1 with the Shews, but a was a total disaster at Ipswich, did nothing at the Scunts, and has now had a total shocker with us. One win in 10 is the sort of form that gets most managers the sack.

His selections, tactics, and substitutions have been less than impressive.

I think the new owners need to bring in a new manager. I'd pay the Cowleys whatever they want to come here.

Posted by: pontoonlew, March 6, 2021, 5:42pm; Reply: 6
Absolutely not, it was Hursts doing that it took us so long last time, no chance do I want to give him another crack
Posted by: cmackenzie4, March 6, 2021, 5:43pm; Reply: 7
I know he has experience in non league but I’d still say no, we’ve had no new manager bounce, he’s not improved us at all at such a pivotal moment in the season, he’s made us worse in fact.
Posted by: Plankton, March 6, 2021, 5:43pm; Reply: 8
This might sound really stupid, but I'd say no and purely because he makes substitutes at 70-80 minutes or unless he's forced to. It's so predictable and rigid, which I think represents him. Don't get me wrong, rigid and predictable can be good, until it isn't.
Posted by: Yoda, March 6, 2021, 5:44pm; Reply: 9
The question is how many season tickets will we sell next season if he’s still here not many.
Posted by: DocDock, March 6, 2021, 5:45pm; Reply: 10
If he does go (I’ve asked this before), realistically who comes in to replace him? I’m personally discounting the Cowley’s based on the fact they managed in the championship recently.
Posted by: Yoda, March 6, 2021, 5:48pm; Reply: 11
Bradford managers doing great who where they.??
Posted by: TAGG, March 6, 2021, 5:50pm; Reply: 12
No no never ever
Posted by: Humbercod, March 6, 2021, 6:05pm; Reply: 13
Desperate for 3 points today but 90mins later only 1 shot on target!
That tells you all you need to know.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 6, 2021, 7:35pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Steve Richards
Is this gif real? Sorry it’s just complete rubbish. 4 point from 30 Hurst is not our saviour. He has shut the door on Williams and says Scannell is not fit but plays Bunny left wing. Saying that what is the point of any midfield when either the defenders are encouraged to or aren’t capable of anything more than hoofing it up the pitch. Dreadful!!!

Williams is a fanny! Scannell has a track record of injuries and poor fitness but on paper CDAJATL.

I’m disappointed with some of the stuff I’ve seen from Hurst. I get that he may have had trouble recruiting as people wouldn’t be queuing up to join a sinking ship but some of the selection, shape and substitutions have made me think he’s trying to be too clever for his own good.

I’m 50/50 at the moment but I reckon he’s going to have to have a fighting finish to keep his job.
Posted by: kevikov, March 6, 2021, 11:54pm; Reply: 15
I voted no. Didn’t particularly want him back anyway and cannot for the life of me look forward to five years of brain numbing football on the conference.  
Posted by: HarrogateMariner, March 7, 2021, 9:24am; Reply: 16
It's a no from me for 2 main reasons.

Things are going to be very difficult next season in terms of numbers of fans attending and how many will show an interest.  After everything we have all been through, how many are going to be tempted to say that is enough,  season ticket sales are going to be a hard sell. To help all this, you need a manager who inspires fans,  motivates them, visually appears motivated. Now I am not for one second saying Hurst isn't motivated or trying, I'm sure he is, but I don't think he comes across in the public domain as that person.  He isn't that battle cry leader needed to get the fans on side. Look at the fans now,  it's at least a 50/50 split. We can't start a new season with a manager that divides the fans so much.

Secondly, I really hope and expect the new owners have the local community at the very front of their plans, including the development of our own players and proper use and progression of the youth team. We all know Hurst does not fit this mold. We need a long term plan with a long term manager, tasked with promoting youth- so what I am saying may sound like I'm contradicting myself, I hate all the changes,  I want a settled team and manager,  I just don't think Hurst is the right long term option.

For what it is worth I don't really have an opinion on if he stays rest of the season now- I think we are down if he stays or if someone else takes over.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, March 7, 2021, 9:36am; Reply: 17
No . No chance . Fresh start from top to bottom next season.
Posted by: Stew0_0, March 7, 2021, 9:37am; Reply: 18
Yes he had a transfer window to work with but with very little time to prepare for and had no time to research or cherry pick his best options. Hurst had to bolt a new 11 together in 31 days to try and improve a hopeless squad with no pre-season to work within an already a bleak position.
I think he needs a season to get it right with the best players he can get and when we do get back up keep it together.
Posted by: BrMarin, March 7, 2021, 10:01am; Reply: 19
Quoted from DocDock
If he does go (I’ve asked this before), realistically who comes in to replace him? I’m personally discounting the Cowley’s based on the fact they managed in the championship recently.

Adkins
Posted by: chipsandgravy, March 7, 2021, 10:11am; Reply: 20
I cannot do the National League again - I hated it first time around. Whilst I will always be grateful for Hurst getting us out I was so bored with the football under him. I have seen nothing to suggest a change so far.
After the Holloway fiasco I wasn't too upset over his appointment as we definately needed a steady hand on the wheel - but all the old reminders are still there for me. So no...new owners.....new everything!!
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, March 7, 2021, 10:19am; Reply: 21
I more or less had stopped going last time he was in charge because of the style of football and if he stays the same will apply so I would want change.

I honestly thought his reappointment was a wise move as his pragmatic approach would see us get enough points for safety but reality has shown yet again I was wrong when it comes to recruiting a new Manager.

Town will still be an attractive job for many up and coming Manager and a good salary would help attract someone of the required quality but as for who this should be I’ve decided I’m clueless at selecting managers so pleased that will be a decision for someone else.
Posted by: oochiad, March 7, 2021, 10:23am; Reply: 22
No idea, I’m losing the plot.....
Posted by: TAGG, March 7, 2021, 11:12am; Reply: 23
How the intercourse anyone wants a bloke that can't save our league status and had 6 years to get us out of non league playing mind numbing football ever want him to do the same is beyond me.

Its already been proved over the last dozen games hes as much smoke and mirrors as the last male masturbator we had in charge.
Posted by: davmariner, March 7, 2021, 11:21am; Reply: 24
Getting out of the Conference is no easy task. Look at Wrexham who are still languishing down there.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, March 7, 2021, 11:22am; Reply: 25
Yes, whatever division we're in
Posted by: SpudUDontLike, March 7, 2021, 11:35am; Reply: 26
Thanks to him for stepping in, but next season needs to be about change. Everywhere.
Posted by: Mariner_501, March 7, 2021, 12:15pm; Reply: 27
Can’t be arsed with another 6 years in the conference, so no.
Posted by: Bigdog, March 7, 2021, 12:19pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from HarrogateMariner
It's a no from me for 2 main reasons.

Things are going to be very difficult next season in terms of numbers of fans attending and how many will show an interest.  After everything we have all been through, how many are going to be tempted to say that is enough,  season ticket sales are going to be a hard sell. To help all this, you need a manager who inspires fans,  motivates them, visually appears motivated. Now I am not for one second saying Hurst isn't motivated or trying, I'm sure he is, but I don't think he comes across in the public domain as that person.  He isn't that battle cry leader needed to get the fans on side. Look at the fans now,  it's at least a 50/50 split. We can't start a new season with a manager that divides the fans so much.

Secondly, I really hope and expect the new owners have the local community at the very front of their plans, including the development of our own players and proper use and progression of the youth team. We all know Hurst does not fit this mold. We need a long term plan with a long term manager, tasked with promoting youth- so what I am saying may sound like I'm contradicting myself, I hate all the changes,  I want a settled team and manager,  I just don't think Hurst is the right long term option.

For what it is worth I don't really have an opinion on if he stays rest of the season now- I think we are down if he stays or if someone else takes over.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for developing our youth set up if it's got a chance of attaining results, but we've produced virtually nothing of great value over the past thirty years. For all Woodsy's valiant efforts, so far it has to be deemed another failing part of our club. Facilities? Coaching? Scouting? Catchment area? Bigger clubs poaching the odd one or two? Something or everything's not right with it along with every other aspect of the club. And if we get relegated, funding is massively reduced. To plug the gap in funding, do we pour potential first team playing budget down a seemingly black hole? Long term, would the Brentford set up of not having a youth system work for us, the Peterborough method of hoovering up non-league talent or do we try to emulate Exeter who seem to be popping out starlets every season? Much depends on the level of club infrastructure funding the new consortium are going to provide or attract. Measured on actual physical outcomes rather than sentimentality, our current youth system is vastly overrated on here when it comes to producing valuable home grown talent. It's not even paying for itself, never mind being a wealth creator for the club..
Posted by: TAGG, March 7, 2021, 12:19pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from AdamHaddock
Yes, whatever division we're in

Fenty syndrome kicking in
Clap clap
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 7, 2021, 12:29pm; Reply: 30
I was sat on the fence for most of the time in non league about Hurst .

When I decided he should go he got us up.

So I will wait until it's decided whether we down before I decided this time.

One thing one win in ten is terrible but he has 15 games to turn it round.

Might need a ten game unbeaten run to save us.

That might be beyond him and the team.
Posted by: Azimuth, March 7, 2021, 12:31pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from davmariner
Darrell Clarke was given a chance at Bristol Rovers to take them back up at the first time of asking. Should we give Hurst a chance to take us back up?

My view is yes. Has his return been good enough so far? No. However, he took over a team in dire straits, heading only in one direct.

The blame for this season should be shouldered by Fenty and Holloway. Yes, Hurst has brought in a new team, but a makeshift one. How do you attract the calibre of players in January to turn this around? Could we have realistically attracted a better option?

Neil Woods was given a chance with us....say no more!
Posted by: buckstown, March 7, 2021, 12:34pm; Reply: 32
I honestly don't know. I've always been an advocate of continuity but the last 3 months have been a disaster. If anyone had told me at Christmas the season was going to get worse I would have laughed.
We don't have a clue what the new owners strategy will be, but in my dreams I have them putting GTFC at the heart of a regenerated town. If that's the case we definitely need a new man in charge
Posted by: A Brace Of Tees, March 7, 2021, 12:35pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from RonMariner

I think the new owners need to bring in a new manager. I'd pay the Cowleys whatever they want to come here.

The new owners have already had a say in bringing in a new manager, and his name is Hurst.

Maybe you'd like new, new owners to replace the existing new owners?

Posted by: Yoda, March 7, 2021, 12:37pm; Reply: 34
1 win in 10 is shocking that would be 4 wins in a season.

Also we have lost just about to every team in the bottom half.

Which has just about finished us.
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 7, 2021, 1:28pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Stew0_0
Yes he had a transfer window to work with but with very little time to prepare for and had no time to research or cherry pick his best options. Hurst had to bolt a new 11 together in 31 days to try and improve a hopeless squad with no pre-season to work within an already a bleak position.

I think he needs a season to get it right with the best players he can get and when we do get back up keep it together.

It took him a lot longer than a season last time.
Posted by: GG, March 7, 2021, 2:29pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Plankton
This might sound really stupid, but I'd say no and purely because he makes substitutes at 70-80 minutes or unless he's forced to. It's so predictable and rigid, which I think represents him. Don't get me wrong, rigid and predictable can be good, until it isn't.

That's what I used to like about Buckley (no I'm not saying bring Buckley back!), he wasn't afraid to make changes within the first 30 minutes if things weren't working.
Posted by: Sir Matt Tease, March 7, 2021, 2:52pm; Reply: 37
Make your own mind up.

Holloway's last ten league games against Hurst's first ten league games;

P    W    D    L    F    A    PTS
10   3     1     6    9 - 20   10    Holloway.
10   1     1     8    5 - 16     4    Hurst.

That would have given Holloway 46 pts for the season and Hurst 18.4 pts for the season.

I rest my case.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, March 7, 2021, 8:03pm; Reply: 38
Absolutely yes for me. Hursty's strength has always been building strong squads (when given the time for a whole pre-season) , player that play with work ethic and passion.

IF we do go down, there's nobody better at that level to rebuild us!
Posted by: RonMariner, March 7, 2021, 8:33pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

IF we do go down, there's nobody better at that level to rebuild us!

Nobody better? Really? Lincoln fans may have a couple of names of managers that did rather better in the NL!
Posted by: GrimRob, March 7, 2021, 9:15pm; Reply: 40
Changing the whole side mid-season didn't work, though he definitely brought some better players in. We had a virtually new team against sides who are well-oiled machines at this time of year. Had we started with this squad we'd have been more competitive as we'd be gelling at the same time as everyone else.

Blame Holloway, not Hurst.
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 7, 2021, 10:32pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from GrimRob
Changing the whole side mid-season didn't work, though he definitely brought some better players in. We had a virtually new team against sides who are well-oiled machines at this time of year. Had we started with this squad we'd have been more competitive as we'd be gelling at the same time as everyone else.

Scunthorpe, Southend, Stevenage, Port Vale, Leyton Orient well oiled machines, really?
Posted by: ginnywings, March 8, 2021, 12:02am; Reply: 42
Newell's team was well oiled.
Posted by: DB, March 8, 2021, 3:11am; Reply: 43
Quoted from GrimRob

The Blame this season will always rest with Holloway and Fenty. However current results are down to Hurst. A preseason is say 6 weeks and we still haven't got a settled side, nor one that looks like winning anything. He's had 10 weeks and 10 games and nothing has improved. I'm fed up with excuses that don't hold water, Hurst has 15 games to save the season and needs to win half of them.

As positive as I am and an eternal optimist with my half full glass I can't see Hurst doing it.
Posted by: darren9, March 8, 2021, 7:37am; Reply: 44
For me he stays and I’m basing this on the takeover going ahead successfully.

With new owners there will come a period of change at the club, there has to be because we’re so far behind our competitors in every way on and off the field. Hurst knows exactly what the club is like and what it doesn’t have (proper coaching staff) and what it does have (portacabins) and therefore what it needs. Hurst is the football man who can direct the new owners where the priorities are.

With reference to his performance this season we can all agree that it’s been a disappointment but there are mitigating circumstances. The team he inherited plainly were not good enough either in footballing ability or character. You can point to Holloway’s points per game tally but do we honestly believe he would have stopped the slide if he’d remained? He was becoming increasingly erratic in his personality and showed no signs of being able to stop the decent.
Hurst has brought in almost a whole new side but has done so with his hands somewhat tied behind his back. The January window isn’t like the summer one, there are less players available and there’s less talent out there. He’s had to get cheap players in, work within the salary cap and actually get people who want to play for Grimsby even though we look like going out the football league. That is not an easy task and is reflected in the business we’ve been able to do.

Hurst deserves the chance to get us back because he did it before and for being brave enough to come back.
I won’t blame him when we go down and I’ll back him next season.
Posted by: monkeyboy, March 8, 2021, 8:44am; Reply: 45
What ever happens the manager looks like he will have a squad of 50 already raring to go lol.

How many can we pay off if we go down? can we afford to? can we afford to sign new players?  sounds expensive.

Im for keeping Hurst btw.
Posted by: Tommy, March 8, 2021, 8:55am; Reply: 46
I'm really surprised at the number of people who don't want to apportion any blame whatsoever to Hurst if we go down. Some good posters who I usually agree with everything they say included in that too.

If Holloway was such a bad manager, how come he was managing to at least pick up a few points, and wins, with his team before he left. Why couldn't Hurst do at least as well as Holloway with the squad he took over? He did worse with it than Holloway. Holloway did win a game (Scunny at home) shortly before he left too so whilst not in spectacular form, it's not like we were on a big winless run like we are now.

Now he's brought his own team in, things still haven't improved. They've actually got worse. If he makes it to the end of the season he'll have had 25 games save us, having not even been in the bottom 2 when he took over.
Posted by: cannylad68, March 8, 2021, 9:08am; Reply: 47
I don't get this argument about Hurst having to bring in a completely new team.
There were a few of the squad worth keeping.
I don't see any of the 2 left backs he has signed being any better than Danny Preston, and now he has returned to his parent club.

If I knew how to get in touch with Jamie Pollock, I would advise him to find another club for Mattie.
Mattie is obviously not in Paul Hurst's plans, as are none of the younger players.
How supporters can think that Paul Hurst has changed since last being here is beyond me.

People ask who could we get as a new manager. If Ian Holloway was available, having not been here before, we supporters would welcome him with open arms, (if you get what I mean).
Whilst I realise that he won't come, I would love to see Adkins here, if only for his upbeat interviews, always backing the players and the supporters. A refreshing change.

Please don't keep Paul Hurst for next season.

It is going to need a miracle to get us back into the football league.

Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, March 8, 2021, 9:23am; Reply: 48
It appears since Hurst returned we’ve witnessed all of his bad traits rising to the fore but not had that conflicting feeling as games are won with small margins. Without victories a pragmatic and dour Hurst will never ever feel like the right appointment for a serious number of supporters.

I thought Holloway would use January to improve the team sufficiently to see us survive ok but he chose the easy option and legged it but I also thought Hurst would see us safe but bored, however, that seemed a price worth paying.

Personally I would not want him to stay if we go down but as I’ve said previously I can’t ever pick the right guy to manage us as we seem to be the only club in the country that, season after season, go on lengthy runs where we are totally incapable of winning matches.
Posted by: ginnywings, March 8, 2021, 9:51am; Reply: 49
Quoted from cannylad68
I don't get this argument about Hurst having to bring in a completely new team.
There were a few of the squad worth keeping.
I don't see any of the 2 left backs he has signed being any better than Danny Preston, and now he has returned to his parent club.

If I knew how to get in touch with Jamie Pollock, I would advise him to find another club for Mattie.
Mattie is obviously not in Paul Hurst's plans, as are none of the younger players.
How supporters can think that Paul Hurst has changed since last being here is beyond me.

People ask who could we get as a new manager. If Ian Holloway was available, having not been here before, we supporters would welcome him with open arms, (if you get what I mean).
Whilst I realise that he won't come, I would love to see Adkins here, if only for his upbeat interviews, always backing the players and the supporters. A refreshing change.

Please don't keep Paul Hurst for next season.

It is going to need a miracle to get us back into the football league.

Changed in what way?

I don't think anyone was expecting any change.
Posted by: cannylad68, March 8, 2021, 9:57am; Reply: 50
It would be only natural to think that there would be some improvement after being with 3 other clubs.
Posted by: buckstown, March 8, 2021, 9:57am; Reply: 51
When people quite rightly say it took 6 years to escape the conference they forget who was in charge of the club.
Every other manager under JF has been appalling and in his defence Hursts record was good. Maybe with a different figurehead we would have been out a lot faster
Posted by: Son of Cod, March 8, 2021, 10:02am; Reply: 52
Quoted from buckstown
When people quite rightly say it took 6 years to escape the conference they forget who was in charge of the club.
Every other manager under JF has been appalling and in his defence Hursts record was good. Maybe with a different figurehead we would have been out a lot faster

The thing that always irks me about this 6 years argument is that we never once had the top budget in the division and there's only one automatic spot. Whether or not you like Hurst or not, he delivered what was expected in terms of league finishes once he was in sole charge.
Posted by: devs, March 8, 2021, 10:05am; Reply: 53
I think the current vote (when I posted this) says it all - 50/50!
On balance I am a big PH fan - but have to say we have had no new manager bounce at all: From 10 games I would have expected something like W3 D3 L4... new players, new ideas, fresh voice, planning, shape etc etc
It has not happened - and we are still creating virtually nothing; we do not work the keeper; little in the way of attacking threat
A statement about a very poor squad inherited and no cash to get in 2/3 good players (but who sells good players? Oh yeah - we do (Amond)

Will it click in 2/3 games' time? Has PH lost his touch? Is it beyond hope?

So, stick with him? I am not certain any more

Therefore when new owners 'finally' come in is it best to have a clean sweep top to bottom?
If we do then I also believe Dave Moore, Ben Davies should go - perhaps harsh but why mess around?
Just start from fresh - a totally new regime untainted by past failures

No guarantees at all - but this feels very different now as it looks bleak in terms of staying up
tried and trusted clearly not working - and I think 10 games is enough to see some sort of change (and more points)

Nothing to lose IMO

It would be very harsh on PH and Doig but a fresh start top to bottom might be the answer

And even as I have written that I only 50/50 believe it - it is not as black and white as many on here would have you believe
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), March 8, 2021, 10:18am; Reply: 54
That's 50/50 based on 160 voters.  
Posted by: denni266, March 8, 2021, 10:31am; Reply: 55
Its amazing how many are still backing Hurst . Its even more amazing how many seem to be happy with his dour brand of football that is not working . I dont know if we will stay up or not but  I for one will not be going next season and paying hard earned cash to watch his brand of football, There is more excitment watching the local blind bowls club winter cup
Posted by: psgmariner, March 8, 2021, 10:42am; Reply: 56
I can only think our friends from Scunny and Lincoln are voting yes.
Posted by: ginnywings, March 8, 2021, 10:56am; Reply: 57
Quoted from cannylad68
It would be only natural to think that there would be some improvement after being with 3 other clubs.

I still don't get your point. When he was here last, his win rate was impressive and it's the last time we looked like a proper functioning football team. There surely is nothing to change.

It was dull and boring, I give you that, but the results were there. What he has done in the meantime is neither here nor there.
Posted by: ginnywings, March 8, 2021, 11:06am; Reply: 58
Quoted from denni266
Its amazing how many are still backing Hurst . Its even more amazing how many seem to be happy with his dour brand of football that is not working . I dont know if we will stay up or not but  I for one will not be going next season and paying hard earned cash to watch his brand of football, There is more excitment watching the local blind bowls club winter cup

I don't think anyone is happy. Some are just not convinced that changing the manager yet again is wise, especially as he's only just been appointed. When do we realise that changing the manager isn't working and every time we do it, we get worse, not better?

Also the tone on here is that anyone defending Hurst is a happy clapping madman and the 50% are in some way mentally deficient or opposing fans. All views should be respected.

I'm no fan of Hurst, but I'm sick of seeing managers come and go. We need some stability.
Posted by: Tommy, March 8, 2021, 11:09am; Reply: 59
Quoted from ginnywings

I still don't get your point. When he was here last, his win rate was impressive and it's the last time we looked like a proper functioning football team. There surely is nothing to change.

It was dull and boring, I give you that, but the results were there. What he has done in the meantime is neither here nor there.

I get that we won more than we lost Ginny, but when teams like Newcastle and Villa have dropped from the prem into the championship, they've won more than they lost too. When we drop into the conference we are one of the best resourced clubs and so should be up there in the play offs as long as the manager is competent.

If we go down, I want us to push for the title, and it'll take a manager who can overachieve to do that. I think Hurst is a decent manager but don't believe he is that good a manager that he'll get results above what is expected (in terms of where the budget lies in comparison with the rest of the league). The only time you could argue he did that was by getting Shrewsbury in the playoffs, but from what you read, Shrews fans thought they threw away a grrat chance to go up automatically by playing so cautiously/negatively in the second half of that season.

Personally I'd go for a brave, bold, Barrow-like move and replace him now. But if he keeps us up I'd think he would have earned the right to carry on. Should we go down, lets get someone in who has a winning mentality, not a must-not-lose mentality.
Posted by: TheultimateMariner, March 8, 2021, 11:25am; Reply: 60
Most likely an unpopular opinion, however I believe we should give him the one season to rebuild (As most of our current squad are out of contract). So it will be like a clean slate. I think you have to be careful what you wish for in the National League, as we are able to see, there's a lot of teams that are stuck down there, Chesterfield (Who seem to now have the right formula), Barnet, Yeovil and Wrexham have all chopped and changed their managers and have been stuck down there, with Barnet looking as though they would be relegated, had there been relegation from the National league, and Chesterfield for the last couple of seasons have been flirting with relegation. Like I say, an unpopular opinion, but we don't want to see ourselves in the National League North.
Posted by: RonMariner, March 8, 2021, 11:26am; Reply: 61
Things were grim when he arrived, but I thought he would keep us up because we were not even in the bottom two, and he was going to bring in several players to bolster the squad.

Well, he brought in 11 or 12 players. And our results are worse than under Holloway.

He did not cause the problems, but now has to accept some portion of the blame. We should be doing better than being 5 points adrift at the bottom.
Posted by: ginnywings, March 8, 2021, 11:39am; Reply: 62
I don't know anymore. To be honest I'm sick to death of discussing it and hope that we just chuck money at it and do a Crawley/Fleetwood/Luton/Lincoln and storm the league from the start.

Or we get our act together and save our skins, so we don't have to find out. Still almost a third of the season left yet.
Posted by: Tommy, March 8, 2021, 11:40am; Reply: 63
Quoted from TheultimateMariner
Most likely an unpopular opinion, however I believe we should give him the one season to rebuild (As most of our current squad are out of contract). So it will be like a clean slate. I think you have to be careful what you wish for in the National League, as we are able to see, there's a lot of teams that are stuck down there, Chesterfield (Who seem to now have the right formula), Barnet, Yeovil and Wrexham have all chopped and changed their managers and have been stuck down there, with Barnet looking as though they would be relegated, had there been relegation from the National league, and Chesterfield for the last couple of seasons have been flirting with relegation. Like I say, an unpopular opinion, but we don't want to see ourselves in the National League North.

Abslutely right that we don't want to end up like Wrexham and clubs that get stuck down there. (I personally thought 6 years felt like an eternity last time we were there)

But we've got to remember there are clubs who bounce straight back up after dropping down to the conference. It can be done. Other teams make excuses about adapting to the level and needing time to gel...blah blah blah etc. But it can be done. So those don't wash with me.

Bristol Rovers and Cheltenham both bounced straight back up at the 1st attempt. Barnet and Leyton Orient were promoted as champions in their 2nd season down there.

Much like our ambition as a club under the current/outgoing board shouldn't have been just to avoid becoming a Bury, our ambition if we go down shouldn't just be to avoid becoming a Wrexham.
Posted by: Chrisblor, March 8, 2021, 12:20pm; Reply: 64
I'm reluctant to get rid of Hurst because I'm entirely unconvinced we'd replace him with anyone who'd be better. Maybe this position is somewhat influenced by Fenty and co's abject track record for managerial appointments, and under new ownership we might have a better chance of appointing someone who could quickly assemble a formidable side, but I dunno I'm still not convinced we'll find anyone better than Hurst.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, March 8, 2021, 12:31pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from TheultimateMariner

I don't think it is that unpopular the poll it split down the middle. For what its worth I think that if we stick with Hurst whatever has happened on the pitch this season is immaterial, because my guess is he will sweep out the vast majority of these 40+ players we've got whether he signed them or not.

The advantage Hust has is that he does know the National League level in great depth and yes I think I would trust him to build an effective squad at that level if given a full close season.
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 8, 2021, 12:43pm; Reply: 66
He has just about rebuilt a whole team and taken us to a far worse position than we were when he started so a big NO from me.
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 8, 2021, 12:45pm; Reply: 67
If we go down with a huge points deficit from the 3rd from bottom team I would hope he had the decency to resign.
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 8, 2021, 12:57pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

I don't think it is that unpopular the poll it split down the middle. For what its worth I think that if we stick with Hurst whatever has happened on the pitch this season is immaterial, because my guess is he will sweep out the vast majority of these 40+ players we've got whether he signed them or not.

The advantage Hust has is that he does know the National League level in great depth and yes I think I would trust him to build an effective squad at that level if given a full close season.

He left the National League nearly 5 years ago.
Posted by: Chrisblor, March 8, 2021, 1:07pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from arryarryarry
He has just about rebuilt a whole team and taken us to a far worse position than we were when he started so a big NO from me.

You've stripped the 'rebuild' of any context. It:

- took place entirely within the mid-season transfer window where the only players available are free agents, out of form and young unproven loanees, or decent payers we'd have to pay a fee for
- required Hurst to immediately assess the squad and make decisions on who to keep and who to try to get replacements in for as he was only appointed 2 days before the window opened
- doesn't account for the fact we started January in place 94 of 96 in the league pyramid, sat 3 points above the relegation places, have excrement training facilities, were undergoing boardroom turmoil and had a reputation for stingy 'covid contracts', so hardly formed an attractive proposition for potential new signings

I'd like to see any manager perform a 'rebuild' in those circumstances and it's why i'm willing to give Hurst the benefit of the doubt for a bit longer. He's not done a great job since coming in, but 90% of our plight is due to long, medium and short-term incompetence by Fenty and the board.
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 8, 2021, 2:39pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from Chrisblor

You've stripped the 'rebuild' of any context. It:

- took place entirely within the mid-season transfer window where the only players available are free agents, out of form and young unproven loanees, or decent payers we'd have to pay a fee for
- required Hurst to immediately assess the squad and make decisions on who to keep and who to try to get replacements in for as he was only appointed 2 days before the window opened
- doesn't account for the fact we started January in place 94 of 96 in the league pyramid, sat 3 points above the relegation places, have excrement training facilities, were undergoing boardroom turmoil and had a reputation for stingy 'covid contracts', so hardly formed an attractive proposition for potential new signings

I'd like to see any manager perform a 'rebuild' in those circumstances and it's why i'm willing to give Hurst the benefit of the doubt for a bit longer. He's not done a great job since coming in, but 90% of our plight is due to long, medium and short-term incompetence by Fenty and the board.

1) The transfer window hasn't seemed to worry Stevenage, Southend and Barrow who are performing better than we are.

2) What has the "excrement" training facilities got to do with where we are, they are the same facilities we have had for years yet we have never been adrift at the bottom of the League before.

3) "boardroom turmoil" I thought that when Hurst was brought in the current board had the backing of prospective new owners. If you ask most players they usually say that boardroom problems and even when managers are replaced they usually just get on with focusing on their play or perhaps you haven't heard of the "new manager bounce".

4) I may be wrong but I thought PH had mentioned in an interview that we were no longer offering "covid" contracts.

The simple fact is that no matter how crap the players were that Holloway signed we are now in a much worse position with Hurst in charge, whether that is to do with his players being worse or the way he runs the team.

The only way I would want PH to stay is if we don't get relegated.
Posted by: DB, March 8, 2021, 6:01pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from 123614
That's 50/50 based on 160 voters.  

It was 60/40 out on 100 votes.     It's a bit like old time politics when they stretchered MP's into the commons to vote !
Posted by: DB, March 8, 2021, 6:10pm; Reply: 72
Hurst played 10 lost 8 = 80% defeats

How many games does have to loose to convince his supporters he's a has been
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 8, 2021, 6:15pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from DB
Hurst played 10 lost 8 = 80% defeats

How many games does have to loose to convince his supporters he's a has been

Liverpool last six home league games = six home defeats.

Is Klopp yesterday's man as well DB. ?
Posted by: DB, March 8, 2021, 6:37pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from grimsby pete

Liverpool last six home league games = six home defeats.

Is Klopp yesterday's man as well DB. ?

Played 10 lost 6= 60% loss, better than Hurst, and I don't believe he brought in 10 players in the transfer window. They also scored 12 goals in those games and we took 19 games to score 12 goals. In Hursts 10 games we scored 5 goals.
Posted by: Yoda, March 8, 2021, 9:09pm; Reply: 75
If 60% of fans don’t renew their season tickets if he’s still here
he will have no funds.

If he keeps us up he stays

if we drop he goes.

It’s as simple as that.
Posted by: TAGG, March 8, 2021, 9:22pm; Reply: 76
This is just the same thing as with Fenty.
Time after time he made intercourse up after intercourse up but people still supported him, thinking he's the man.
Hurst took 6 years game after boring game to get us out of the league, comes back builds a nailed on relegation team that can't win a game and still people think he's the man.

FFS the Fenty syndrome
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, March 8, 2021, 10:02pm; Reply: 77
It's not really the same thing though is it, Fenty has had free reign to do what he pleases. Managers, Hurst included operate within the framework set by the board.

No managers have managed to garner any level of success within the parameters set by Fenty, with the exception, to a degree of Hurst.

I don't dispute he's made a poor fist of it this time around, but I honestly think anyone would have found it a slog. BTW I wanted Alexander, but didn't think Hurst was a terrible choice.
Posted by: WesternMariner, March 8, 2021, 10:58pm; Reply: 78
I’m not a great fan of Hursts style of football. I cut my teeth on Sir Alan and a bit before that watching teams with Drinkell, Ford, Batch, Waters et al - for those on here who don’t remember they’re why we had a reputation for playing the game the right way.

However - those who want to move him on and who say we’re making the same mistake as we did with Fenty ( ie not getting rid when things have gone wrong) haven’t learnt the same lesson that Fenty failed to learn himself. Continuity wins football matches. Chopping and changing eventually lands you in the excrement. Where might we be now if Fenty had sprung a few bob on a conditioning coach and kept the core of the promotion side together under Hurst?

Where has Fentys never ending search for the management messiah got us over the last 15 years? We’ve had more false dawns and second comings than the Moonies. Quite a few of us thought we’d hit the jackpot with Hollowords - he clearly wasn’t the Messiah, he was in fact a very naughty boy.

Hurst might never be AB or Lawrie Mac but one attribute that he shares with them is that he knows how to build a team who’ll play for the shirt, each other and for him, he won’t sign shysters and journeymen and he’ll bring us stability given the chance.

I’d give my right bollock at the moment for a guaranteed miracle - don’t get me wrong. However failing that I’d settle for a gaffer who doesn’t talk out of his backside and who builds a team. The grass isn’t always greener and sometimes it wears a funny hat and plays darts.
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 8, 2021, 11:35pm; Reply: 79
It's not really the same thing though is it, Fenty has had free reign to do what he pleases. Managers, Hurst included operate within the framework set by the board.

No managers have managed to garner any level of success within the parameters set by Fenty, with the exception, to a degree of Hurst.

I don't dispute he's made a poor fist of it this time around, but I honestly think anyone would have found it a slog. BTW I wanted Alexander, but didn't think Hurst was a terrible choice.

Surely all managers work under a framework set out by the board?
Posted by: DB, March 8, 2021, 11:51pm; Reply: 80

Under normal circumstances you are correct. For the last 10 games Hurst is responsible to nobody. JF has cheque for £2.5 million waiting to be sign, the consortium don't own the club therefore Hurst is a loose cannon that keeps backfiring.
Posted by: DB, March 9, 2021, 12:01am; Reply: 81
Quoted from WesternMariner
I’m not a great fan of Hursts style of football. I cut my teeth on Sir Alan and a bit before that watching teams with Drinkell, Ford, Batch, Waters et al - for those on here who don’t remember they’re why we had a reputation for playing the game the right way.

However - those who want to move him on and who say we’re making the same mistake as we did with Fenty ( ie not getting rid when things have gone wrong) haven’t learnt the same lesson that Fenty failed to learn himself. Continuity wins football matches. Chopping and changing eventually lands you in the excrement. Where might we be now if Fenty had sprung a few bob on a conditioning coach and kept the core of the promotion side together under Hurst?

Where has Fentys never ending search for the management messiah got us over the last 15 years? We’ve had more false dawns and second comings than the Moonies. Quite a few of us thought we’d hit the jackpot with Hollowords - he clearly wasn’t the Messiah, he was in fact a very naughty boy.

Hurst might never be AB or Lawrie Mac but one attribute that he shares with them is that he knows how to build a team who’ll play for the shirt, each other and for him, he won’t sign shysters and journeymen and he’ll bring us stability given the chance.
I’d give my right bollock at the moment for a guaranteed miracle - don’t get me wrong. However failing that I’d settle for a gaffer who doesn’t talk out of his backside and who builds a team. The grass isn’t always greener and sometimes it wears a funny hat and plays darts.

So how would you describe this team he has formed

The GT quote him as saying about the Carlisle game

“The intensity they play at, the energy levels, and we’ve got to try our best to at least match that."

So according to him his players have no intensity or energy levels, not exactly a motivation talk before you get on the bus to Carlisle.

Posted by: Tommy, March 9, 2021, 12:25am; Reply: 82
Quoted from DB

So how would you describe this team he has formed

The GT quote him as saying about the Carlisle game

“The intensity they play at, the energy levels, and we’ve got to try our best to at least match that."

So according to him his players have no intensity or energy levels, not exactly a motivation talk before you get on the bus to Carlisle.

I'm quite critical of Hurst at present, but how you've translated what he actually said, to what you think he means, is quite something.
Posted by: ginnywings, March 9, 2021, 12:31am; Reply: 83
Quoted from Tommy

I'm quite critical of Hurst at present, but how you've translated what he actually said, to what you think he means, is quite something.

It's a special gift he has.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, March 9, 2021, 12:43am; Reply: 84
His appointment this time round has been an absolute failure. Watching the FGR game was very hard going at times as it’s apparent there is a total lack of confidence in the team and no signs of leadership anywhere to be seen. Strikers that are goal shy, a central midfield that can’t win the ball and a lack of skill and/or pace out wide. The fact is that we’ve sunk quicker than an Italian ferry and with a total lack of fight or care
Posted by: DB, March 9, 2021, 12:44am; Reply: 85
Quoted from Tommy

Read the full story and see what you think.
Posted by: DB, March 9, 2021, 12:46am; Reply: 86
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
His appointment this time round has been an absolute failure. Watching the FGR game was very hard going at times as it’s apparent there is a total lack of confidence in the team and no signs of leadership anywhere to be seen. Strikers that are goal shy, a central midfield that can’t win the ball and a lack of skill and/or pace out wide. The fact is that we’ve sunk quicker than an Italian ferry and with a total lack of fight or care

I've said this for ages. No leadership in the boardroom, from the management and on the pitch. Nobody responsible and nobody cares a sh!te.
Posted by: DB, March 9, 2021, 12:48am; Reply: 87
Quoted from ginnywings

It's a special gift he has.

Only one of my many talents Ginny, liked your campervan post.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, March 9, 2021, 7:16am; Reply: 88
Quoted from arryarryarry

Surely all managers work under a framework set out by the board?

Exactomundo, that's why all of ours in the last two decades almost always fail.
Posted by: cannylad68, March 9, 2021, 7:28am; Reply: 89
It's obvious nothing is going to change before the end of the season.

At that point in time, we may have a clearer view to move forward.

Perhaps the takeover will have been completed.

If Paul Hurst was to lose every game until then, would the fan's views change, or will he be a saviour?

Posted by: TAGG, March 9, 2021, 8:05am; Reply: 90
Quoted from WesternMariner

We have had continuity at the top for over 16 years and that's been overflowing with success after success!

All this with 'keep Hurst if we go down' balderdash is just the same as the Fenty supporters that kept saying 'stick with him hes a proper fan', 'if it wasn't for him we wouldn't have a club' and all the rest of the bullshit they spew out.

I know we have to keep him until the end of the season and if by some miracle we stay up then okay he stays but no flipping way do we keep him when we are relegated.
If he stay I will not(after God know how many years) be renewing my season ticket.
I couldn't stand the boring, let send on a sub at 71 minutes, getting out thought by almost every other manager football we had for 6 years with him before.

Yes it is the Fenty syndrome
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), March 9, 2021, 9:28am; Reply: 91
Quoted from denni266
Its amazing how many are still backing Hurst . Its even more amazing how many seem to be happy with his dour brand of football that is not working . I don't know if we will stay up or not but  I for one will not be going next season and paying hard earned cash to watch his brand of football, There is more excitement watching the local blind bowls club winter cup

Bet you used to be one of those fans who would sing, " Grimsby till I die", {Except if we are bottom of League 2}.  

Posted by: Zmariner, March 9, 2021, 9:55am; Reply: 92
I will watch any manager playing any style of football if we are in league two next season and will unconditionally buy a season ticket.
If we are in the National league I will still support and go to a handful of games regardless of who the manager is
If Hurst continues on his current run of form then clearly he could not start the next season, if we finish the season showing some guts and fight then I am open to him staying. For me everything depends on the next few games and the games once we are relegated will not count for me utm
Posted by: Garth, March 9, 2021, 10:01am; Reply: 93
Its simple really, if he keeps us up even the biggest anti Hurst supporter will admit he should have a start in the next season, however should we get relegated he has to go, like I say simples!
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, March 9, 2021, 10:10am; Reply: 94

If we are in NL next season then not the Club's or Hurst's finest moment. We know what we got from Hurst last time. In or close to the play-offs every season.  Despite having an above average budget and being seen as  "bigger club", we never seriously challenged or achieved top spot and automatic promotion.

Next season (if NL), with Hurst, I do not expect us to go up as champions or be promoted next season.  
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 9, 2021, 11:09am; Reply: 95
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

If we are in NL next season then not the Club's or Hurst's finest moment. We know what we got from Hurst last time. In or close to the play-offs every season.  Despite having an above average budget and being seen as  "bigger club", we never seriously challenged or achieved top spot and automatic promotion.

Next season (if NL), with Hurst, I do not expect us to go up as champions or be promoted next season.  

If we are non league the difference next season will be the board.

Under Fenty  most things Hurst asked for the answer was no we can not afford it.

I would imagine looking at Jason Stockwood track record in business the answer would be yes.

We would keep the best of what we have and sign the best non league players that are available because the board will consider them asserts not something you can ignore or let go even if they did score nearly 40 goals for you in the last season.Plus once the word got around on how good Grimsby Town FC treated their players unlike in the past we will not find recruitment as hard as it was under Fenty.

In years gone by before Fent y we did not have any trouble getting players to Grimsby look who we signed, Birtles. Whymark , Webb, Bonetti ,Johny Scott from Man Utd , Geoff Whitefoot and many more. The point I am making is players talk to each other and if one is thinking about coming here at least two would have said don't go there they treat you like shite.( Under Fenty )

You reap what you sow.
Posted by: cannylad68, March 9, 2021, 11:37am; Reply: 96
Pete,

You are quoting some signings when there was a maximum wage for all professional footballers.
Posted by: Mayaman, March 9, 2021, 11:43am; Reply: 97
Quoted from Tommy
I'm really surprised at the number of people who don't want to apportion any blame whatsoever to Hurst if we go down. Some good posters who I usually agree with everything they say included in that too.

If Holloway was such a bad manager, how come he was managing to at least pick up a few points, and wins, with his team before he left. Why couldn't Hurst do at least as well as Holloway with the squad he took over? He did worse with it than Holloway. Holloway did win a game (Scunny at home) shortly before he left too so whilst not in spectacular form, it's not like we were on a big winless run like we are now.

Now he's brought his own team in, things still haven't improved. They've actually got worse. If he makes it to the end of the season he'll have had 25 games save us, having not even been in the bottom 2 when he took over.

And that Scunny win was so convincing. Not!  
Posted by: Mayaman, March 9, 2021, 11:52am; Reply: 98
Quoted from TAGG
This is just the same thing as with Fenty.
Time after time he made intercourse up after intercourse up but people still supported him, thinking he's the man.
Hurst took 6 years game after boring game to get us out of the league, comes back builds a nailed on relegation team that can't win a game and still people think he's the man.

FFS the Fenty syndrome

I am not sure we all think he's the man.  We didn't see queues of managers outside BP enquiring about the job.  It's Hobson's choice.  I want a Ferrari but I can't afford one so  I have to do with my scooter.  I'm grateful for it.
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 9, 2021, 11:54am; Reply: 99

Exactomundo, that's why all of ours in the last two decades almost always fail.

I didn't make it clear, I meant at every club not just GTFC.

Or was John Fenty secretly in charge of Ipswich Town?
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, March 9, 2021, 5:33pm; Reply: 100
Quoted from arryarryarry

I didn't make it clear, I meant at every club not just GTFC.

Or was John Fenty secretly in charge of Ipswich Town?

My point being that between 85 and 91 of the clubs invariably set a better framework for their managers to operate in than GTFC
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 9:05am