Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Jesus Christ
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 38 Guests

Jesus Christ

This thread currently has 17,444 views. Print
37 Pages Prev ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 Next All Recommend Thread
Sandford1981
January 27, 2023, 6:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from ginnywings

Indoctrination.

They shouldn't be compelled to pray and have a belief system at such a young and impressionable age. If they come to God in adulthood of their own volition, then so be it.

Amen Ginny!

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 330 - 364
GollyGTFC
January 27, 2023, 11:00pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,038
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from DB
It was suggest on the Film Thread that this might be a topic for discussion.

I am a Christian and fully believe in the life and death of Jesus Christ. People ask for proof of his life on this earth and learned people start at Genesis going onto the New Testament quoting various scriptures. Some making themselves multi millionaires with large ego's.

Having read a lot of this I have thought about the proof of Jesus Christ's life from a different angle. I am sure most are familiar with the Vatican which is my start. I am not a Catholic, but ask any Catholic who the first Pope was? St. Peter, as in St Peter's Basilica the present day Vatican.

St. Peter is the same Peter in the New Testament who wrote the Books 1 Peter and 2 Peter. The same Peter a disciple of Jesus whom Jesus said Mat 16.18 'Now I say to you that you are Peter (which means ‘rock’), and upon this rock I will build my church'.

This is my simple summary of proof why I believe in Jesus Christ without resorting to scriptures.

I would also add that I do not fly the flag of any Christian religion as in my opinion, all fall short of the teachings of Jesus Christ. Whether you believe, or want or do not want to believe, is your choice and a purely personal one. As I have said several times on other posts I respect people opinions and hope they respect mine.

I am an atheist and have been since roughly 8 years old when attending a CoE Primary School. It didn't stop me being interested enough in different religions to voluntarily do Religious Studies at GCSE.

There are roughly 3,000 gods worshipped on earth. I'm guessing if you're a christian you don't believe in 2,999 of them. I don't believe in just 1 more than you. (I nicked that off Ricky Gervais)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 331 - 364
ginnywings
January 27, 2023, 11:50pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I am an atheist and have been since roughly 8 years old when attending a CoE Primary School. It didn't stop me being interested enough in different religions to voluntarily do Religious Studies at GCSE.

There are roughly 3,000 gods worshipped on earth. I'm guessing if you're a christian you don't believe in 2,999 of them. I don't believe in just 1 more than you. (I nicked that off Ricky Gervais)

Amen to that.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 332 - 364
DB
January 28, 2023, 3:09am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.47
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,042
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from GollyGTFC

The problem with a lot of people who say they are Christians is that they just use the name of Jesus for their own ends. The CofE and RC both pretend to be poor and ask for money yet their churches are full of gold and precious metal cups etc., bank a/cs are amongst the most wealthy and their higher archy live like CEOs. The C of E has just put aside £100 million for slavery claims, this from a church that has no money.

Then you have those who 'Take the Cloth' for a free house and pension and those that attend a church service to be seen. Unfortunately, all this gives the words of Jesus little meaning in the world today, as the opposite to what he spoke about is carried out in his name by those who call themselves Christians.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 333 - 364
lukeo
January 28, 2023, 4:50am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,386
Gold Stars: 149
We do RE once a week. We have assemblies 5 days a week, 2 of which are done by a visitor from our local church, we do a prayer before lunch, in assembly and at the end of the school day, we do regular trips to the local church for different 'events'
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 334 - 364
aldi_01
January 28, 2023, 7:26am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
As with the monarchy, I struggle to see the role religion really plays in a modern day society but I suspect, given the current mental health crisis, we may see people turn to the church or religious leaders for solace or simply someone to talk to.

I think there’s a place for belief and it provides people something to cling to or feel safe around but I don’t think there’s a place for a controlling, take take take religion which relies on its congregations to be subservient to something which can’t be proved either way…especially in the name of Jesus Christ.

As with all organisations, there are wrong uns, although the Catholic Church seems to have much more than others. Not to mention their links to organised crime, people trafficking and money laundering…

If people want to believe then that’s up to them, there’s an argument the lie of Christmas and Santa is equally as damaging to some extent as the lie that one man created all this…it’s the outward marketing, the propaganda and, in the case of some religions, aggressive advertising of their religion…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 335 - 364
mariner91
January 28, 2023, 11:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,695
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from DB

Unfortunately, videos and photo's never existed so you do have to rely on historians who confirmed the existence of Jesus. Thousands saw his miracles and hundreds saw him after his resurrection. When I was young if I had told my dad in 70 years time you will be cooking using micro waves in a steel cabinet, talking into a slim bit of plastic and shares an unknown thing called videos with people on the other side of the world, he would have called me insane.

Likewise, because you weren't there does not mean Jesus and his miracles did not happen.

I’m sorry but how do human technological advances in any way conflate to “well a man might have literally walked on water 2000 years ago”?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 336 - 364
grimsby pete
January 29, 2023, 12:42am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
I do not believe any of the bible you have only got to play the game of Chinese whispers to know how stories get added to and changed dramatically from the original story.

BUT

Have no trouble with people believing otherwise.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 337 - 364
DB
January 29, 2023, 8:03am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.47
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,042
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from mariner91

I’m sorry but how do human technological advances in any way conflate to “well a man might have literally walked on water 2000 years ago”?

Unfortunately, today people do not to recognise the reports from the historians of the day. They wish to only accept the technology of today.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 338 - 364
mariner91
January 29, 2023, 8:50am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,695
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from DB

Unfortunately, today people do not to recognise the reports from the historians of the day. They wish to only accept the technology of today.

No ‘historians’ claimed that Jesus actually walked on water, something which is scientifically impossible. Technology has nothing to do with it, it’s just basic science.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 339 - 364
37 Pages Prev ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Jesus Christ

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.