KingstonMariner
February 4, 2021, 10:19pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from ginnywings

It's a different situation to the LJL one. He's still registered as a NL player and therefore can't move to the EFL outside the transfer window. Had we known before the window, we could have transferred him.

The player was told he was a free agent when he in fact wasn't.

How does that work? If he’s not a Hereford player how is he registered as a NL player?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 144
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
February 4, 2021, 10:21pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,824
Gold Stars: 553
Quoted from KingstonMariner

How does that work? If he’s not a Hereford player how is he registered as a NL player?

Never easy to cut a Coke deal

What’s his street value?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 144
ginnywings
February 4, 2021, 10:31pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,119
Gold Stars: 548

Dunno. Listened to the PH interview and didn't really get a definitive answer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 144
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 4, 2021, 10:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79

It appears, despite what the club told the player, that Hereford never cancelled his registration with the league. Hence we try and register him only to discover he’s still an Hereford player!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 144
KingstonMariner
February 4, 2021, 10:37pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

It appears, despite what the club told the player, that Hereford never cancelled his registration with the league. Hence we try and register him only to discover he’s still an Hereford player!!!

Cheers

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 144
ginnywings
February 4, 2021, 10:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,119
Gold Stars: 548
Don't get why they can't just release him and make him a free agent, meaning he can then sign for who he likes?

Or doesn't it work like that?

Seems very harsh on the player that he is denied the chance of a contract and earning a living.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 144
KingstonMariner
February 4, 2021, 10:50pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Don't get why they can't just release him and make him a free agent, meaning he can then sign for who he likes?

Or doesn't it work like that?

Seems very harsh on the player that he is denied the chance of a contract and earning a living.

Well if Hereford aren’t paying him and he’s their employee, they’re in breach of contract and he’s free to walk surely (I.e. he’s a free agent). A rule by the league which says he can’t move in those circumstances is tantamount to an attempt to restrict his right to change his employment so it is unenforceable. Obviously it would take a lot of time and money to contest that in the courts but even the bozos who run the National League ought to realise that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 144
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 4, 2021, 11:36pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
On deadline day this is an extract from the Telegraph’s updates:

Hereford confirmed Town's approach for the midfielder last week, and revealed they would be waiving their seven-day notice period, with manager Josh Gowling saying this...

“We wish Giles all the best at Grimsby, it’s a fantastic opportunity for him to return to the Football League, and an opportunity that we would not want to stand in the way of.
On behalf of everyone at the club, I would like to thank Giles for his efforts whilst with us and wish him well for the future.”

Given this information and direct quote from their Manager it may be a tad harsh to be blaming our club on this occasion as it is pretty apparent Hereford had accepted and agreed to his departure but failed to do the basics.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 144
DB
February 5, 2021, 12:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,000
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
On deadline day this is an extract from the Telegraph’s updates:

Hereford confirmed Town's approach for the midfielder last week, and revealed they would be waiving their seven-day notice period, with manager Josh Gowling saying this...

“We wish Giles all the best at Grimsby, it’s a fantastic opportunity for him to return to the Football League, and an opportunity that we would not want to stand in the way of.
On behalf of everyone at the club, I would like to thank Giles for his efforts whilst with us and wish him well for the future.”

Given this information and direct quote from their Manager it may be a tad harsh to be blaming our club on this occasion as it is pretty apparent Hereford had accepted and agreed to his departure but failed to do the basics.

I'm with you. What a pathetic admin set up at Hereford. First you have the LJL contract dispute and now Coke he's free to leave O no he's not.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 144
Nelly GTFC
February 5, 2021, 12:25am
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,736
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Hereford Times | Posted: 4 February 2021
Hereford manager Josh Gowling says that Coke has been with Grimsby training for almost a month.

“Grimsby didn’t check if he was registered or not," said Gowling.

“They have got to do their due diligence on their players and they haven’t. He was non-contract with us and he’s gone in there and there’s an issue with his registration.

“I think there’s a question of whether he’s still registered with us and whether that should have been cut before the window.

“If the registration was with us through the window then I don’t think he can play for Grimsby even though he’s not with us anymore as a free agent.

“They really should have looked and checked before the transfer window shut about his registration.”
Link >> https://www.herefordtimes.com/sport/19066433.giles-cokes-move-grimsby-looks-unlikely/

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 144
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Giles Coke training with Grimsby Town

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.